Half Moon Bay

I have lived in the Bay Area for 7 years now and for some reason had never ventured over to the coastal town of Half Moon Bay until today.  I had always wanted to go, but never really had a reason, so when Alyssa told me she was going to meet Alisyn to run there I jumped on the chance.

The Coastside Running Club was leading a run put on through the Half Moon Bay Marathon which is a new race for this year (which I regretfully did not sign up for and is already sold out).  The run would run on part of the marathon course and although Alyssa and I aren’t signed up for that race, it was a great opportunity to meet new runners and run in a new place with some guidance.

This morning I picked Alyssa up in SF and headed down to Half Moon Bay!  We made it there early, met up with Alisyn and found the group soon after.  The run was being lead by some awesome local runners who know so much about their little nook of the bay (it was seriously like having a guided tour!) and were very experienced runners themselves.  I had so much fun talking to everyone – the leaders, new runners and my friends of course.

August 002

Since Alyssa and I are still recovering from SFM, we didn’t have any strict plans but I really hoped to get double digits in today.  We started off along the beautiful coast and although the views were amazing, we still both felt pretty tired.  We said we would go to 5 miles but by the time 5 hit I was feeling so much better.  We continued on until we hit 6 and then turned around with Alisyn and a local runner Amanda.  We got to run on some narrow dirt trails as well as paved trails, all along the ocean and it was just beautiful.

August 005 August 006 August 007 August 001

After a rough week of tired running this was exactly what I needed.  Some new scenery, awesome friends – old and new, and ocean air… can’t ask for much more than that.

August 016

Alyssa and I stopped at 12, while Alisyn continued on to rock her run, and we enjoyed some beers and yummy food at the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

August 022 August 020

It was such a fun day and once again I sit here with a huge smile on my face feeling so blessed to have such beautiful places to run and such amazing friends to run with.

Me, Alyssa and Alisyn
August 030

12.1 miles/1:48:52/9:01 avg pace

, , , , ,

15 Responses to Half Moon Bay

1. Madison August 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Thanks for taking those photos. I was curious about the Half Moon Bay Half but was not very familiar with that area so I did not sign up. Maybe next time.

• Aron August 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

SUCH a fun cute little town… I will definitely be back to run there soon :)

2. Marlene August 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Looks and sounds like a GORGEOUS place to run! Yay for new scenery and great friends! Glad you felt good and put in some double digits!

3. Lisa Fine August 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

I love your photos!

Do you carry around your phone for photos when you run? I’m thinking of getting a smartphone so I can do more blogging and picture-taking on the go, and I’m curious what you used to take these pics. Thanks!

• Aron August 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

I actually have a small digital camera (Nikon Coolpix) that I carry with me for pictures :) It’s what I used for all the Big Sur Marathon pics and for anything else I take while running mostly. I use my iPhone occasionally, but most of the pics on this post are taken while running (I don’t stop to take pics).

4. Franz August 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Aron,

Thanks for joining the CRC for the course tour! I’m a CRC member and am usually out there running but couldn’t make it this time. It was such a pleasure reading your post about the run from so many miles away. We’re holding another course tour on 9/03 … and you’re always welcome to join us!

Franz.

5. Ron August 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

That was you this morning! Hey Aron, that was so cool that you came down to Half Moon Bay to run with the Coastside Running Club. When I saw you this morning I did a double-take and I immediately thought of this blog, but then I guessed that you were just someone who looked very similar to Aron. :-)

Anyway, I wish I had been able to run farther and socialize more, but my ankles still haven’t recovered from last week.

Hope you join us again some time.

–Ron

6. Nelly August 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

Half Moon Bay is indeed awesome, that run looked like a great one. I’ve been to the Ritz Carlton hotel for drinks and brunch a couple times, that hotel is amazing. We always walk around the hotel grounds after, amazing views.

7. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com August 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

WOW….that place looks amazing!!! Running with people is the best, especially if you end it with delicious food:)

8. Mom's Home Run August 14, 2011 at 9:40 am #

That sounds lovely. Isn’t it great when half way through a run you miraculously start to feel better?!

9. Alyssa August 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

I loved Half Moon Bay! Next time you run there, definitely let me know. :) :) :)

10. Alisyn August 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Such a beautiful day! Thanks for making it a fabulous run!! <3

11. Susan - Nurse on the Run August 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Aw, what a fun run! Jealous of all the locations that you head to for a new running route, and definitely a great way to log some miles when you’re in recovery mode.

Annnnnnd post-run beers can’t be beat. :)

12. Angela @ SF Road Warrior August 15, 2011 at 10:20 am #

….And I STILL haven’t managed to get out there for a run (only for a wedding a few years ago). Clearly this is something I need to do ASAP! Plus, y’know. Beer…

13. RoadBunner August 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks for posting this! I wish I could make it down for a course preview run but they are always on Saturdays. I’m still not 100% if I’m going to do the full or drop to the half, but I’m looking forward to the race.