Race Report: 2011 San Francisco Marathon

I always say that if you can learn lessons on race day, it is a successful one no matter what the time on the clock says.  Today many lessons were learned.

To name a few:

1. I don’t like running marathons as “training runs.”  It just doesn’t work for me mentally.
  2. There is a reason I always rest the day before a marathon and am super conscious not to wear myself out.
  3. Even if I am running a marathon as a “training run”, it is still a marathon!  Take it seriously.  Be organized and be prepared like any other race.
  4. Sometimes knowing a course too well can be a bad thing.

Background

I have a lot of history with this race, running the marathon as my first full, then running the first half the year later and the second half last year.  This year I decided to return to the full marathon and use it as a “training run” for my A race at the Portland Marathon.

I ran the Boston to Big Sur challenge in April and ramped up my training pretty quick after that, but had a rough time bouncing back.  A month+ back into training things finally started clicking again and I was running well and feeling great.  I had a solid, conservative race plan for this race that based on my training as of late I thought was very feasible.  But we all know things hardly ever go according to plan.

Race Morning

After a very long and tiring week (I actually had a post partially written last week on what NOT to do during race week, which I didn’t have time to finish), and then a very long and tiring marathon eve (lesson #2), I finally made it to sleep around 10pm with the alarm set for 3am.  Gah.

I slept ok and woke up with my alarm and started to get ready.  Since I had been so busy last week, I hadn’t had time to think much about logistics and didn’t have what I have been eating for breakfast before long runs (Clif bar), so I kind of winged it and texted Kristin to see what she had.  This is so unlike me and an obvious sign I did not have my head in the game when it came to this race (lesson #3).  Jessica and I got ready and were at Kristin’s by 4:15 where we were chauffeured into San Francisco.

This is my it’s too early to be here face.
SFM 095

After some trips around the block, we parked, walked over to the start area, used the bathrooms and were ready to go!  Kristin and I were planning on running together, so we went to our wave and patiently waited.  26 miles seemed very daunting at that point, but I knew I had my running buddy by my side and we would be ok.

Me, Kristin, Jess and Tara
SFM 098

Race Time!

Before we knew it, it was our turn to go and we were off running into the dark morning along the Embarcadero!  Our first mile was slowish from all the traffic, but it was good to get us started off slow and into a groove.  Our next couple miles we kept having to dial it back because we wanted to make sure and start conservatively between 8:50 and 9:00 miles.  We were pretty successful for the most part.

SFM 103

Mile 1 – 9:15, Mile 2 – 8:48

A few miles later the sun was up, we had conquered our first hill, were running along Crissy field and were making our way up to the bridge!  I took my first Gu right on schedule (mile 4, I typically Gu every 4 miles in a marathon) and was feeling pretty good.  The air was a little warmer than I liked, so the breeze felt good and we were actually looking forward to being up on the windy bridge.

Mile 3 – 9:03, Mile 4 – 8:48, Mile 5 – 8:51

We climbed the hill to the bridge pretty conservatively and had a blast on the bridge spotting all our friends!  We saw so many people and it was a fun way to pass the time.

Mile 6 – 9:29, Mile 7 – 8:48

Pretty soon we were on our way back over the bridge and enjoyed the downhill mile before the big hill came.  I forgot to Gu at mile 8, so I took one at mile 9 instead and made a mental note to take one at 13.

Mile 8 – 8:48, Mile 9 – 8:48

We got up the big hill after the bridge which wasn’t as bad as the last time I ran it in training and enjoyed the long downhill on Lincoln looking around.  The next couple miles were kind of rough for me, I think I knew this course a little too well (lesson #4) and knew the areas I didn’t like and didn’t feel good on training runs and this got the best of me.  The miles up the Avenues getting into Golden Gate Park are not my favorite on the course and I struggled with them on training runs.  At this point we have been running hills non stop, I knew the park was up ahead and I just wasn’t feeling it.  I kept my thoughts to myself and just kept on running with Kristin.  Pretty soon we were heading into Golden Gate Park where I knew we would see a bunch of friends and get a nice chunk of downhill before more hills.

Mile 10 – 8:58, Mile 11 – 8:35, Mile 12 – 9:08

We entered the park and saw Cate which was awesome and made our way to the right, while the 1st half went to the left.  We crossed the half marathon in 1:58:XX which is exactly where we wanted to be per our race plan.  I took another Gu and we just kept on cruising along, not feeling terrible, but not feeling super great either.  We passed the start for the 2nd half marathon and got to see Kerry which was a great boost.

Mile 13 – 8:59, Mile 14 – 8:50

After that things started getting a little tough for me.  I kept getting side cramps (!?) and just generally was not feeling great.  I was burping a lot and just feeling fatigued.  We kept a pretty good pace though through the hills and saw a group of our friends (Roadbunner, Audrey, and Layla) spectating right around mile 16!  Then we turned left to another hill and I just didn’t want to see that.

Mile 15 – 9:04, Mile 16 – 8:59

sfm349

We rounded near the 1st half marathon finish and saw Stephen, Page and Jessica all cheering loud for us!  It was great to see them because at this point we were both struggling.  I really would have loved to stop at the half, but I really wanted the big medal today… not kidding that thought pulled me along many times.

SFM 175a SFM 208

Right when we went around the corner from seeing them, we stopped and regrouped ourselves.  Kristin said ok time for music and we cranked up the tunes and got back into the game.  I felt a burst of energy then and we started running faster for a bit, but it didn’t last long.  Just as we were finally going to exit the park in Mile 18 I just had to stop and walk.  I knew I needed to take another Gu but could NOT get it down without walking, my stomach was just not happy.

Mile 17 – 9:57, Mile 18 – 8:42, Mile 19 – 8:50

I caught up to Kristin again and we decided to take walk breaks over the next few miles and made it past mile 20 together.  Eventually I just told her to go ahead, that I wasn’t feeling well and wasn’t going to push it.  My legs felt good at this point and every time I was running, I was going around an 8:45-8:55 pace, but not long after that my stomach would warn me I couldn’t keep it up for long.  I really thought I was going to have to pull over and puke.

Mile 20 – 9:45, Mile 21 – 9:37

I was on my own at this point and didn’t care enough to really push it too hard during these tough miles.  I don’t know if that is the right attitude to have (faster recovery for a “training run”) or a bad attitude (easier to give in next time it gets tough at that mile), but whether it was the right choice or not, I made it today and went with it.  I ended up walking quite a bit during the last few miles, which definitely shows in my splits, but would end up running a decent pace when I was running.  Pretty soon Mile 22 became 23, then I was at 24 and knew I was going to finish.

Mile 22 – 11:46, Mile 23 – 11:04, Mile 24 – 11:04

I finally could see the Bay Bridge in the distance and knew I was getting close, but it also seemed so far away.  The spectators and entertainment out here were much better than I remembered in the past, and I was enjoying this section and trying to smile.  Pretty soon I was at AT&T ball park and I told myself no more walking.  Then I was running down the Embarcadero with the finish line ahead.

Mile 25 – 9:30, Mile 26 – 9:11

SFM 310

I pushed the last bit and hoped my stomach wouldn’t revolt and finally I was across the finish line with marathon #11 in the books!

Last .52 (per garmin) 4:12 (8:04 avg)

Garmin: 26.52/4:06:57/9:18 avg pace

Official: 26.2 miles/4:06:57/9:25 avg pace
Race Splits:
7.4 mile @ 9:04
13.1 mile @ 9:05
20 mile @9:09

184090_624351432799_23800473_33171387_4134787_n

I found Chris and my friends right away and hung out for a bit recapping all of our races.  My legs felt pretty good and I my stomach calmed down.

Running besties
SFM 322

Husband!
SFM 329

Tara, Jessica, me and Page!
(thanks Page for the pic!)
5996197648_bd732931ea

We made our way to the car to change and then headed to the massive brunch I coordinated!  It was so fun to have a meeting place and to get to see so many friends after the race.  I am seriously so so so lucky to have such a huge group of amazing runners as my friends.  I love them all!

Just the beginning before we overtook the place!
SFM 333

We recapped our races, shoved our faces with nachos and celebrated with beer.  It was a great end to a tough morning.

Long run buddies who ROCKED their races!
SFM 348

Post Race Thoughts

I am not sure why I felt so bad in this race, but I really just think I had too much going on and didn’t have enough mental capacity this week to devote to this race that it deserved.  That said, I am glad I did it and just would change a few things logistically if I ever decide to do something like that again.  I learned a lot, which is always a positive, and although it was the slowest marathon I have ran for myself, I still finished with a respectable time.  The good news is my legs and body feel great, besides an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion.  July has been an insane month and I am looking forward to some less busy months ahead so I can focus my eyes on the prize: Portland Marathon!

I was so honored to be a part of the race this year as an Ambassador and also so proud!  The SFM staff truly puts on an amazing event that I highly recommend for all runners.  Sure it’s a tough course, but it’s most definitely worth the hurt.

sfm350

Weekly recap, July recap and tons more pics to come!

, ,

67 Responses to Race Report: 2011 San Francisco Marathon

1. RunEatRepeat July 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

You are amazing!!!

2. Laura July 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

Great job Aron!! :) It was a TOUGH race for me today, but I love this race so much I would do it again. Had so much fun with the Ambassadors too. So awesome!!! :)

3. Jo Lynn July 31, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

Congratulations on another marathon finish, Aron.

4. Nicole July 31, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

great job aron!!! keep your eye on the prize and reel it in baby!!!! ROCK IT!

5. XLMIC July 31, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Congrats, Aron! Way to stick it out and work it through :) I was spectating at Geary and again in the park… very inspiring to see everyone! Looking forward to following your journey as you prepare for Portland :)

6. Haute Running Mama July 31, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Great job Aron!! You had A LOT going on this past week and still kicked butt on those SF hills!! Way to go! You are an inspiration to so many of us :)

7. Page July 31, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I love how after 11 marathons you are STILL able to learn something! I had such a great time cheering you on and was glad I was there to see you finish strong!

8. Crystal July 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Congrats on finishing the full race. I ran the first half today and as I finished I had a lot of respect for those out there running the full marathon!

9. Em July 31, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

congrats on an AWESOME marathon run! You should be so proud :)

10. Audrey July 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Wow, tough race! But definitely a good learning opportunity for next time. Good thing it was also a Fun Run. Maybe not a PR, but you did an A+ job as an SFM Ambassador and organized a really fun and huge lunch meetup/celebration! Thanks so much for all your hard work for us, Aron!!!

11. Audrey July 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Oh and I am still waiting to see that picture of the S&M runner. LOL

12. Jeni @ stepping out July 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for serving as an ambassador this year. Without the promotion you gave the are on your blog I never would have known about the race and now I’m planning (if the money works out for the cross-country trips) to com back next year to run the second half (and et my half it all medal) and then the year after that to run the full marathon.
    I feel a huge connection to this race now so thank you so much!
    I also ran this race as a training run (and a fun run)…recap to come on Tuesday. I know exactly what you mean about it not being exactly the same.
    Thanks again!

13. Kristine @ Running on Hungry July 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

All the crappy things that happened aside, I still think you ROCKED that marathon! We have to have the crappy runs to appreciate the good ones right? :-) Hope you enjoyed the rest of the day today!

14. the dawn July 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

good work on getting in such a tough training run. it will pay off big time in portland, i’m sure of it.

15. Rebecca July 31, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Great job pushing through! Just finishing a marathon is pretty amazing in and of itself. It’s a good thing they give out medals…

16. Carla @ I Run, You Run August 1, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Better to have a bad “training” race than a bad A race! So lessons learned and more prep for next time! They can’t all be good runs, unfortunately the bad ones sometimes fall on race day, but you pushed it through and didn’t give up, which is awesome as is! Great job!

17. Ana-Maria August 1, 2011 at 3:35 am #

I say, good thing you got the bad day out of the way in a training run:)

18. Lisa August 1, 2011 at 4:53 am #

Reading your blog first thing in the morning truly helps get me out the door for my am run. Great race report as usual.

19. Kelly August 1, 2011 at 5:04 am #

Nice work, Aron! It must have been hard thinking of the race as a training run with such an exciting marathon. It seems like it was a great stepping stone for your goal race coming up though! Hope you’re feelin’ good today :)

20. Terri August 1, 2011 at 5:09 am #

I love the honesty in your posts. Although you struggled a little your perseverance is amazing!!! Congrats on the race.

21. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) August 1, 2011 at 5:36 am #

Congrats! No matter your time, finishing a marathon is still a big accomplishment. And it’s better to have had a crazy week/little sleep before a low-key training effort, than an actual race, right?

Hope you’re getting some rest today!

22. Tia@RunnerMom August 1, 2011 at 5:41 am #

Thanks for sharing this! Great job yesterday. I love your “lessons learned” section. I think that was my favorite part. I always feel like I have so much to learn and you are right about trying to take something away from each race. Take it easy this week! I know you will do great in Portland when the time comes!

23. Jennifer August 1, 2011 at 5:45 am #

You amaze me! The fact that you could complete the marathon with all you had on your plate is amazing! Way to push through! Thanks for sharing!

24. Denise August 1, 2011 at 5:56 am #

like you said, if you learned something then it was a success no matter what. while i actually like running marathons as a training run, it’s definitely not something to take lightly. no matter how fast or slow you run, it hurts both ways and is always 26.2 hard fought miles. congrats on #11 now get ready for portland!!

25. Jessica B. August 1, 2011 at 6:00 am #

YOu did awesome. Congrats on marathon #11, can’t wait to hear how Portland goes. I have a feeling you are going to rock it!

26. Lisa Fine August 1, 2011 at 6:30 am #

Amazing job! Congratulations. Even though you found it to be a tough race (which it would be anyway – given it’s a marathon and your stomach wasn’t 100%), you still completed it with a great time, and you learned a lot from the experience.

Looking forward to your regular postings too, and how you’ll be getting ready for Portland!

27. Becky @ cityrunnergirl August 1, 2011 at 6:41 am #

I love this recap. I’m so sorry your stomach was trying to rebel against you, but you did so well despite that! It’s very encouraging. I’m very impressed with your pacing as well. Love that you all go out for beer together afterwards. That’s awesome.
    Can’t wait to run this race one day – maybe next year!

28. Becky @ cityrunnergirl August 1, 2011 at 6:43 am #

great job!

29. Jen August 1, 2011 at 7:24 am #

You are amazing Aron! I’m sorry the race didn’t go as well as you’d hoped, but I’m so glad you saw it as a learning experience. Sounds like it was a great training run for Portland. Congrats girl :)

30. Alicia at Poise in Parma August 1, 2011 at 7:25 am #

It’s so awesome to me that the SF Marathon was a TRAINING run for you!!! I could never imagine getting to that point as a runner and an athlete. What a great race and recap. You rock lady!

31. Lauren August 1, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Congratulations Aron!! I’m really sorry the race didn’t go as you had hoped but you still completed 26.2 miles – which is an awesome feat!! And of course I’m extremely impressed by the fact that you’ve now done 11 marathons.

Like you said, I think any race where you can learn something is a success. I’m sorry the lessons were tough but I’m impressed by how much you took away from this marathon. And by your strength to keep going when things got so tough. Hopefully this experience will make you that much stronger for Portland!!

32. Jen August 1, 2011 at 8:07 am #

What a race, Aron. You gutted it out and finished in a very respectable time. Especially nice pacing throughout the first 20 miles- right on target for your training pace. The next miles you were very smart to not kill yourself trying to run it all, those walking breaks were brilliant. And you finished with a fast pace for the last couple! You ran a smart race over all and it sounds l ike you learned a lot. I know what you mean especially about not having your head in the game – crazy how big of an impact that has. Great job out there, congratulations on your 11th marathon finish!! Enjoy your recovery and YAY Portland!! :)

33. Shelly August 1, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Great job pushing through a tough race. Congrats on #11!

34. Susan August 1, 2011 at 8:27 am #

Aron, well done! You ran a smart race and adjusted your plan based on how your body felt. Many factors come into play on race day…weather, health, hydration, etc. Sadly, there are runners who have a race day goal and refuse to make adjustments. You listened yo your body, adjusted your plan, and ran a smart race, AND earned a great medal to boot :-).

35. Lisa August 1, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Congratulations on another marathon finish! With as many as you do, you are bound to have races that don’t feel as good. Your time is pretty darn impressive for having an off day.

36. katie August 1, 2011 at 9:02 am #

whew, tough race. congratulations on pulling out a finish and not giving up!

37. Ryan @NoMoreBacon August 1, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I seriously don’t know how you train for a marathon strictly from a time perspective, let alone a dedication and motivation standpoint. Slow marathon or no, you rocked it. You finished it. And like you said, you learned a lot.

Nice freaking job!

38. danica August 1, 2011 at 9:38 am #

I’m sorry you had a bummer race, and feeling sick is the WORST, I’ve had many races with that feeling :( BUT you stuck it out and did amazing even under the circumstances. :) Number 11 is in the books!

39. michele August 1, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Gerat job!! During m y last 1/2, I had huge stomach ssues too, On the way home, I ended up puking. It really felt like food poisoning (I think from the GU). Glad you’re feeling good!

40. Allison August 1, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Hey! A marathon is a marathon. Congrats on a finish!! It’s no fun with any GI issues, even if they aren’t *that* serious (I lost a good 1-1/2 minutes on the can in my last marathon. Boo.).

I can see how you would not like to do a marathon for a training run. I wouldn’t either. I kind of prefer to do races to RACE.

41. Jaime August 1, 2011 at 10:07 am #

Congratulations Aron! You continue to inspire me!

42. Melanie August 1, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Way to go! I think this sounds exactly as it should for it to be a training run kind of marathon. I’ve done that a few times, and it’s definitely smart to hold back and take some walk breaks. And remember – you’ve been training hard for your A race, so of course this one wasn’t going to feel the same. I think you did great! It was so fun to read this post and remember when I ran this race last year!

43. Layla August 1, 2011 at 10:48 am #

This race did NOT defeat you — you finished it and got your awesome medal! And the fact that you learned more about yourself and racing means another win. Congratulations, and here’s to Portland! And thanks for setting up the brunch!

44. Carolina John August 1, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I figure anytime you can still come close to 4 hours it’s a good day to marathon. Great pics!

45. J August 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Awesome job on the marathon Aron! I totally know what you are talking about with the not being mentally able to devote enough time the week before a race. I think that happened to me with my half last fall – just too busy!

46. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad August 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Good for you for toughing it out and hanging in there. Stomach problems are the worst. Congrats on #11!!!!!

47. Lizzy August 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

I so relate to this post. It’s exactly how I felt about Boston…. almost like I knew the course TOO well that I couldn’t succeed or something. Still though Aron, you are such an impressive runner and the fact that you never gave up and crossed that finish line is awesome. PS- 11 is my favorite number : )

48. Alisa August 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

It wasn’t your “a” race so I think you ran smart and should recover fast for your “a” race!

I think you have a great attitude and you learned some lessons, those are key in any race regardless if it’s a PR or not.

49. Alyssa August 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

This is seriously incredible — you finished with a great time despite the obstacles! I’ll remind you what NOT to do the weeks before Portland because I know how crazy you have been! :) I canNOT wait to see how you do in Oregon. :) I know how great you’ve been training and this race was definitely good experience, at least! It was so nice getting to see you & thanks again for organizing the brunch. Hope to see you soooooon! :) :)

50. Tim F August 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Aron,

It was great to see you out there. Especially on that hill – I was thinking of your analysis that the hill is the tougher one. You looked great out there. I struggled a lot from miles 13 – 20 (really bad cramps and chest pain), but I was able to finish far off my hopeful time.

51. Nelly August 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Bummer on the race not going how you hope it would. I definitely could never run a marathon as a training run. Not sure if I could run any race at all as a training run, unless it was crystal clear in my mind that I was running the race as a training run, and even then my competitive juices might take over and I would start taking off.

Right until mile 20 your marathon went exactly how mine did last year it seems like, it was like I was reading my own race report through yours. Seems like you really paced it out well to that point.

And since it was a training run in your mind, it was probably good that you shut it down at mile 20 when you didn’t feel good. I bet you could have really struggled and fought against yourself to cut your time down, but that wasn’t your goal on race day.

Lessons are learned every race, enjoy the marathon finish, and not everything can go perfect to plan. Portland is coming up, enjoy that one!

52. Megan @ On the Road Again August 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Congrats on the race!! A finish is a finish no matter how tough.

I’ve been a reader for a while, but haven’t really commented until now. I have to see reading your posts is so inspiring! You seriously rock the races!!

53. David August 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

hi aron – thanks for the stellar recap. i like what you have to say. you are right on target – every race, there is always something new to learn. I too had a memorable race – not the one i expected or visualized, but the race i was meant to experience this time around. I worked with the hills as long as i could but between the Richmond and GG Park i was pretty beat up when we hit Haight. at that point it became a different race. those last 5 miles turned out to mean more than a PR.

good luck in Portland! i will continue to follow your blog!

dave

54. Marlene August 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Sorry that you had a tough day out there. I honestly think you made the right call (and I don’t think you wimped out!) when it was feeling too hard – whether it was more of a mental or physical issue, pushing too hard could have taken way more out of you than you can afford at this point in training for your “A” race. Congrats on #11 and a VERY respectable time on a tough course!! Recover well this week!

55. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef August 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

awesome job!! i haven’t run enough marathons to have had “bad” ones, but i can totally relate to this from running CC/track for many years. some races are just harder but that makes what you did do worth it!

56. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) August 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Ugh- stomach pains are just no fun at all during races. I’m sure your crazy week had a lot to do with not feeling yourself during the race. Hopefully the week leading up to Portland is much more sane than this past one!

Congratulations on marathon #11!

57. The Laminator August 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Hi Aron…i read your post this morning and have been thinking a lot about your question of why you lost your physical and mental edge for this race and this is what I’ve come up with…

First of all, i think mentally, you’ve had so much going on the past week that I doubt you had the time or the energy to be in a good mental place going into the race, so that’s probably part of the reason why you had some mental struggles late.

Second of all, I think once you have in your mind that you’re running this marathon as a training run, you already give yourself an excuse to not care and walk before you even start! And it is understandable why you struggle at this at mile 16 or so, because running this at a slower pace, this is probably the total amount of time you would ever spend on one single training run! So asking your body to give you an extra hour or so of additional running is something that you probably never trained your body to do. Remember that your body doesn’t know pace…it only knows effort and the total amount of time you’ve been running…so this is essentially like ultra-training because the effort is so far beyond what a normal training run is! And given that you already told your mind to approach this AS A training run (not a race)…well, then it just makes it that much easier to not care and walk when it got tough.

Third of all, I think if you were to feel a certain responsibility to keep a certain pace (even if slower) like if you were official pacer or pacing a friend for a time…it would make it easier to force your mind to stay in the game.

Just some thoughts. I think it’s still great you got to run SFM again and meet so many new blogger/twitter people! The race time doesn’t really matter when you’re having so much fun! Great job Aron :)

58. Devon @FastFoodie August 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

I had stomach issues (actually did barf) and an off race this year at Houston where I was going for my OT. Even though my legs were fine and not the problem, it is hard to brush it off that something went wrong. It messed with my mind a bit. BUT, I turned that effort into a lesson and a stepping stone and 5 weeks later at LA marathon I had the fantastic race I knew I was ready for when things went wrong. Thus, I think that your “training run” and great effort will serve you more than you even know going into Portland! You are going to rock it!

Enjoy your accomplish and take the lessons. Kick all the other stuff to the curb, you did great!

59. Susan - Nurse on the Run August 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Congrats on another marathon, no matter what the outcome was…..I think the medal is awesome!

I can’t believe you didn’t have your pre-race breakfast ready, that’s when I knew something wasn’t quite right…..you’re such a planner!

Amazing how we can still learn something new even after so many marathons……and you make me want to come run this race!

60. Naomi August 3, 2011 at 7:31 am #

congratulations on #11! you were a great ambassador for this race – what a special way to come full circle!

61. Jess August 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

Awww well you still picked it up at the end! I think bad marathons will always help us prepare better for future races.

62. mihael November 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Wow! Tough race run under tough conditions both mentally and physically.

Well done!

1. SFM Slideshow | runner's rambles - August 2, 2011

[...] love a good picture slideshow paired up with some fun tunes, and I couldn’t resist making one for The San Francisco Marathon this year, especially when such a fitting song [...]

2. Do’s and Don’ts for Race Week | runner's rambles - August 3, 2011

[...] to really sit back and reflect on everything that happened on Sunday, it’s blaringly apparent why Sunday happened the way it [...]

3. Friday Favorites | runner's rambles - August 12, 2011

[...] San Francisco Marathon running is coming around.  I was getting a little frustrated early in the week but after some [...]

4. PDX Training: 8 Weeks To Go | runner's rambles - August 16, 2011

[...] my insane month of July, a tough marathon and the stress of interviewing, accepting a new job and finishing my old one, I was just been plain [...]

5. August | runner's rambles - September 1, 2011

[...] don’t remember what happened this month.  It really seems like yesterday that I ran the San Francisco Marathon, and if not yesterday maybe a week, definitely not a whole [...]