Friday Thirteen

“Long” run for the week done!

FT4

Since I am heading up to Reno early tomorrow for Page’s wedding, I decided to get my long run done early so I don’t have to worry about rushing around tomorrow morning and can actually (*gasp*) relax and sleep in a tad.  I need my energy for the wedding festivities since I promised the bride I would bring my “A game” to the wedding.

Kristin, Lauren and I met up at 5:30 for a run and I am so glad it’s done!  I had originally wanted to run 14-15 miles today, but decided 13 was just right.  As always we had a great run and I love having my girls to run around town with.

Fun flashback fact: 13 is not my longest pre-work run.  One time back in September 2009 I ran EIGHTEEN miles before work!  I was training for Cowtown Marathon, which was my 3rd BQ attempt.  I definitely remember that morning very well.

Speaking of Page’s wedding, I can’t decide what to wear this weekend.  I posted this picture on facebook last night and got an overwhelming vote for the black dress, but the green did gain some momentum!

Another fun flashback fact: I just remembered this morning that 3 years ago before my first SFM (and first marathon) I went to a wedding the weekend before and wore the green dress!  It might be a day-of decision but any input is welcomed.

FT1
And back to the long run… I wore calf compression sleeves today.  I have worn them a few times and am considering wearing them during SFM because I am trying to do everything in my power to help aid a quick recovery from that race.  I am not sure if they really work or not (I do believe they work after!), but I am willing to try.  One thing I am nervous about is they make me hot!  This might also be a game day decision.  Either way I will have them for after the race.

FT2

Questions!

• What is the longest you have run before work?
  • Green, black or purple dress?
  • Have you worn compression socks in a race or on a long run?  Do you think they help?

Happy Friday friends!

38 Responses to Friday Thirteen

1. Kalii July 22, 2011 at 10:17 am #

The most I ever ran before work was 18. But I didn’t have to be there until 11 that day.
    I like the green dress the most :) Have fun at the wedding!

2. Turi July 22, 2011 at 10:28 am #

13 pre-work is pretty impressive. Most I’ve done is about 10, but I get up pretty early too.

That’s my favorite color green, so it gets my vote.

I wear compression sleeves to race in, and tighter compression socks post-race. It seems like they help, but I don’t know how much if it is mental.

Bringing running stuff to Reno? We’ve got a great running trail right by the Truckee River through downtown…

3. Lisa July 22, 2011 at 10:35 am #

I’ve worn them quite a few times in the hot & cold weather training & at a few races. LOVE them!!!!

4. Jesse July 22, 2011 at 10:37 am #

i vote for the black dress! although i like the green color i really like the ruffles and belt of the black dress. have fun at the wedding :)

5. Shannon @ Mon Amour July 22, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I like the green dress. Black is not my favorite color for a wedding, although I do really like the dress

6. Megan July 22, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I just ran across your blog. What is your review of your Garmin? I’m thinking about purchasing one myself.

• Aron July 22, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I LOVE my 205, its an older pretty basic version, but I love the big screen and everything it does – plus its cheaper than other versions! I have done a couple posts on basics: http://www.runnersrambles.com/tag/garmin

7. Sarah July 22, 2011 at 10:48 am #

I love that green dress! I ran 18 miles before work earlier this year during marathon training. It was actually one of my better long runs! (I went into work late.) and I run in compression socks – I’ve done a half and a full in them so far. I have a lot of shin issues and am recovering from a stress fracture in my shin and I think they help give me support… Or maybe they just help me mentally. Have a great weekend!

8. Devon @FastFoodie July 22, 2011 at 10:48 am #

I wear compression socks and I have never been overheated in them. Also, I don’t think we have to worry about overheating next Sunday! It probably won’t get over 65 by the time we are done. Most compression socks are very breatheable anyway and IF, worst case scenario, you get too hot, just push them down.

• Aron July 22, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Very true, especially since I have been running in the East Bay in them! I will probably appreciate them at 5am on Sunday in cool SF ;) easy to push down too!

9. katie July 22, 2011 at 10:49 am #

I have no helpful advice except for: green dress!

10. michele July 22, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Compression socks make HOT!! I only wear them after I run. I love the middle dress…so cute! Have fun at the wedding!

11. Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run July 22, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Way to go on banging out the long run before work. With the heat lately, early is a good idea. My longest run before work was 8 miles I think. I have to be in so darn early and I have such a tough time getting myself up. Have fun at the wedding – I like the ruffles on the black dress. :-)

12. Haute Running Mama July 22, 2011 at 11:02 am #

What time is the wedding? If its during the day I vote green, if its at night I vote black!

Longest run pre-work is 11. I have to be home by 6:30 am at the latest to get my kiddos and hubby up for the day and make it to the office on time :) I start at 5am and usually allow myself 1-1:15 max. I wish I had more time during the week!

13. Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee July 22, 2011 at 11:04 am #

I’m a compression devotee and wear them for every race and havent had any overheating issues. They help me during races because I have abnormally tight calves and a wonky achilles. I’ve worn them for my last couple runs and the heat index has been 110ish. I definitely think they help!

I love that black dress! Adorable!!

The longest I’ve run before work has been 8. It’s hard for me to run more than that without getting up before 5…I have to be at work around 7!

14. Monica C. July 22, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Black dress, hands down, no matter what time of day the wedding is – that dress is very cute!!! You can dress it up or down appropriately.

I ran 20 miles before work last year: 10 solo, then a friend met me for 6 and the last 4 were solo. Starting in the dark and breaking it up into 3 segments was actually a fabulous way to get those miles in. The only thing is I fell and scraped my knee very badly (I still have the scar). I didn’t even tell anyone at work; I knew people would think I was crazy and/or just bragging, LOL.

15. Morgan July 22, 2011 at 11:25 am #

You look adorable in the white compression socks!!!

I think the purple dress isn’t getting any play because it looks brown in the pics but personally I love that green one. It’s so fun and summery! Not to mention Page is so bubbly you almost want to compliment her personality on her wedding day! :)

Have a wonderful time!

16. Lizzy July 22, 2011 at 11:26 am #

I love the green dress!

I’ve run 16 miles before work one time and 10 miles during lunch another! : )

Have fun at Page’s wedding!

17. Kristin July 22, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Longest run before work: 15 miles, you were with me for the middle miles :) For the dress. I vote green because I’m going to wear either blue or silver and I think we will look really cute together in brighter colors! I mean, I am your date and all, shouldn’t we coordinate?? Pick soon, I still have to get you a corsage, hehe.

18. Alyssa July 22, 2011 at 11:28 am #

I think the most I’ve run before work is 7. You put my morning runs to shame. :)

I think I’m going to wear sleeves at SFM. I’ve done a lot of my long runs in sleeves, and at least in the cool morning weather, they don’t make me hot. I think you’d be okay… it’s not 100 degrees over here. :) If they do get too hot, it takes a half of a second to roll them down!

19. Holly July 22, 2011 at 11:33 am #

For the wedding, I vote for the green dress- of course I’m biased since green is my favorite color! :) I love the black one too, but green just makes me happy :)

i think my longest pre-work run was 16- and yes, i was late getting to the office that day! :)

have a blast this weekend!!

20. Carolina John July 22, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I can’t stand the early morning stuff, it even bugs me on race day sometimes. Like tomorrow I have to be up at 5 am to make a 7:15 start for a 2 mile open water swim. geez.

I remember being impressed when you did that 18 before work though. That was tough stuff.

21. Michelle July 22, 2011 at 11:53 am #

I ran 6 before work and still made it to the office by 7am, it was a rough day after that.

I like the green dress! Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

22. courtney (pancakes and postcards) July 22, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Never more than 6. Usually I have a goal of 7-8 and it becomes 5. I really need to go to sleep earlier.

Bring all three dresses. Game time decision :)

How do the compression sleeves help?

23. Nancy July 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

I’m all for the green! The farthest I have run before work is 7 miles and that was pushing it since I have to leave for work at 6:30am!

24. Corey July 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Getting the long run done on friday always feels good! I wish I could have done that today, especially with all this heat. I just got my compression socks in April and I think they help afterwards too – I’d be interested to see if you think they help during!
    I think the green dress is fun, but I’m sure you will look gorgeous no matter what you wear – have a great time!!

25. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad July 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I do my long runs on Friday but I also work from home so I can say I’ve done 22 but it doesn’t really count since I can walk in the door and begin working in my running clothes :)

Black dress!!!

26. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) July 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

Longest before work: 6 miles
    Dress: Green
    Compression: yes I have. I find that if my shins and calves are a little sore, the sleeves seem to help. Placebo effect? Maybe but whatever works.
    Something odd: I pretty much ran in that same outfit the other day only with black CEP sleeves.

27. Lindsey July 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Technically, my longest before work run was 20 miles. However, it was a Sunday (crunch time at the office!) and I didn’t go in until 9:30 =)

28. Runner26 July 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Before work mileage? Not entirely sure, but probably seven. And go with the green! I’m a huge fan of green dresses and have several in my closet ;)

29. Ana-Maria July 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Green dress all the way!
    No sleeves! You will be hot! Also, just an fyi, based on my research socks are better than sleeves or tights, etc. Basically, the most important parts to compress are the feet…CEP has great info on how compression works and how compressing the feet is how inflammation gets flushed out.

30. Faye July 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

I work from home, so its very flexible. 2hrs trail run, unsure if mileage because my GPS loses signal there. I vote for the green dress, everyone will be in their LBD!
    I am not sure of those socks, it will def be too hot for me!!

31. Angela July 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

I’ve never actually worn compression socks, but I’ve been curious about them so I asked my PT whether they really worked. He said that there was a 2007 study that showed no difference in performance in runners who wore them during races or workouts, but that there was some evidence that they might speed recovery in some ways (something to do with lactate levels, I think?). Either way, I still think they kind of look cool. :)

32. Lisa Fine July 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Longest run before work? 5 miles.

Dress? Green.

Compression socks? I sometimes wear them while running, if it’s not too hot, and often wear them after a run. I’d love to hear more about them in another post.

Happy weekend!

33. Amanda July 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

1. I do not work. :) But I have gotten in some miles before anyone was awake, slipped back in ate breakfast and took a shower. That’s really amazing in my house.

2. Black! With some really fun colored shoes and accessories.

3. Yes I have worn compression socks and now I wear compression calf sleeves and I’m a firm believer on the long mileage.

34. denise July 25, 2011 at 5:30 am #

i did 18 before work one time…it was an exhausting day to say the least. but so worth it to be able to have a saturday morning to myself!! hope you had a great wknd!!

35. Katy @ RunKatyRun July 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I’m currently taking the year off of working and just focusing on college full time because it’s my senior year and the classes are extra tough. I just started running about 10 weeks ago and my longest run to date is 4.1 miles. I have a long ways to go in order to run my first half marathon (which is also my first race of any kind) this November!

I like the black dress the best-the layers are super duper cute and make me think of pretty ballet costumes =o)

I’ve never worn compression socks before, however I do tend to experience pain and cramping in my calves during my first two miles of all of my runs. Do you think that compression socks would help with that?

36. RoseRunner July 26, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

When I first started my job, I told my employer during my interview that I was training for a marathon…and that I wanted to come in an hour late twice a week (and work an hour later in the evening).

So for the first couple months, I was running 20 milers before work at least once or twice a week. It was great! 20 miles goes by SO fast when you are half asleep.

Since then, the most I cram in (we are too busy for me to come in late, since I work late anyways) is about 12-13 miles. Booooo.

I saw Page’s pics on facebook. it’s absurd how beautiful she is