Running Errands

Last night I couldn’t find my packing tape (of course) and I really needed it to mail this box today since I already scheduled a pickup and printed out the shipping label.

June 502

Of course I didn’t realize this until 10pm when Chris and I had already gotten back from the store.  Ugh.

That’s when I came up with Plan B!  I had an easy run in the morning and there is a store not too far away, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get the tape on my run.  I made sure to bring some money and off I went.

June 500

A few miles later I was a happy camper, home with my tape in hand.

June 505

Nothing like a little multi-tasking to get things checked off the to-do list!

June 515

Have you ever literally ran your errands?

This was not the first or the last time for me!  In the winter it’s the easiest when I am wearing a jacket with pockets to carry things.  I am definitely limited right now but what can be carried in my hand, but can still make it work.

30 Responses to Running Errands

1. Heather June 14, 2011 at 8:08 am #

I wish I could run errands while running. The only store I normally run by is a convenience store – overpriced with little selection!

Great multitasking!

2. Matt June 14, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I have never done that, but where I live doesn’t really lend itself to such…unless I want to run down the highway with dry cleaning strapped to my back and a gallon of milk in each hand. I would like to run outta work right now though…

3. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) June 14, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I love running errands on foot! It gives purpose to my miles and helps me to multi-task :) My fav place to run errands is the froyo shop (I take the subway back home…). I’m not sure eating froyo is an “errand”, but it sure is fun.

4. Mollyberries June 14, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I’m all for active transportation and accomplishing errands by foot or bicycle instead of a car! I always run to the post office, if the package I am carrying is too large, then I will walk and then run back after mailing it. Where I used to live my library, church, grocery store, post office and gym were all within a 3 mile radius, so I seriously never used my car. It was pure bliss!

5. marlene June 14, 2011 at 8:24 am #

Yep, I do this often with my handy Nathan backpack (just remove the bladder). Library, grocery store, post office, you name it!!

• Aron June 14, 2011 at 9:27 am #

Ohhhh I have a nathan backpack – I need to use it for that sometime!

6. RunningLaur June 14, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I’ve done a few items from the grocery store before (easier from my old place) and use my Nathan vest sans water bladder to carry it all. Works really well.

I’ve always run to drop-off / pick-up my car from the shop, since it was only about 3 miles by trail, but they just moved to 10 miles by highway :’(

7. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) June 14, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I’ve actually done a small grocery shop while running! I have a small backpack that doesn’t bounce too much and in my old neighbourhood, there were a few stores that were in good running distance. I got a few odd looks, but it worked for me! (especially since my husband worked out of town and had the car all week)

8. Heather June 14, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I just stared doing this! I have stopped by a bookstore, shopped for some earrings and returned a DVD. It feels so good to be getting something done while exercising AND your errands may force you to run a new path! Score and Score!

9. Michelle @ The Running Jewess June 14, 2011 at 9:25 am #

When I was living in London, and stores were much closer to my flat, I used to pick up small odds and ends. If I need a larger item I find it very difficult to carry while running. I’ve deeply considered investing in a backpack for running and biking, but I haven’t committed to one yet. Hopefully next year, when I’m again close to stores, I’ll find a simple way to run my errands.

10. Corey @ the runners cookie June 14, 2011 at 9:26 am #

I walk to do errands a lot, but since 95% of my runs take place before 7am, most places aren’t open at that hour :) What a great idea though – saves time and gas money!

11. Jill June 14, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Had a running errand run yesterday. I had to return two things at a store on my route so I just rolled them up in a bag and took off. 1 mile later I had my return done and since I was out running, it kept me from impulse buying with my refund!

• PJ June 14, 2011 at 11:17 am #

now thats a great idea!

12. Ana-Maria June 14, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Nice getting creative. My husband does errands on his bike all the time.

13. Lindsey June 14, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I often run errands when I’m out with the baby and BOB stroller; one of the advantages of using a running stroller – it can carry your purchases =)

14. k June 14, 2011 at 10:22 am #

I have run to the library and/or grocery store on occassion. Pretty regularly I use my bike to run errands/commute/get a better than nothing work out it!

15. Madison June 14, 2011 at 10:32 am #

It’s the best when you can get two things done at the same time.

16. Rachel June 14, 2011 at 10:44 am #

i’ve never run errands, but i do run to work sometimes!

17. Allison June 14, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I love running errands! It feels so productive to multi-task! :)

18. PJ June 14, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Just last friday I drove my car to the auto shop for it’s annual tune-up & ran the 4 miles back home. It was a great way to get 2 things done all before 8am!

19. Jen June 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

I did this just a couple weeks ago. I had a run scheduled, and I needed to mail my registration for my town’s 4th of July race (no online registration, boo!). I mapped it out, and the post office was three miles roundtrip. It was a bit of a pain running with an envelope in my hand (it was windy so it kept flapping around), but it felt good to run an errand without my car, get some fresh air and exercise.

20. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair June 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I’ve TOTALLY done this! Last year I ran a 5-mile loop where I did the following: stopped at the bank and deposited a cheque, picked up a prescription at Walmart and got a small amount of groceries to go in my camelbak. Felt really good to do errands AND get a workout in!

I wonder if that box is for me… :D

21. J June 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

I love “running” errands! makes me feel so productive! I try to drive as little as possible on the weekends and just run to the places I need to go that are close by. A few months ago I ran to the bank on my lunch hour and deposited a check! I felt like I had gotten so much accomplished when I got back!

22. lifestudent June 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

If you count Starbucks an errand. I like to plan a route so it ends up at Starbucks, then grab a latte and walk home for my “cooldown” ;)

23. Amanda June 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

I had some photos to pick up the other day and I thought about running to the store to get them, but I’m also a cluster errand runner and I thought of another place that was further away I needed to go so I just took my car. It’s a great environmental way to get things done :)

24. tricia June 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

I’ve done some light grocery shopping on a run. Of course it helped that I was pushing a baby jogger :)

25. Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel June 15, 2011 at 4:35 am #

I started doing this over the winter when I didn’t have time to get in an actual run, and it was great! I just throw on an empty pack and run around to fill it up!

26. lindsay June 15, 2011 at 5:03 am #

i’ve run to the mail center a number of times (it’s not an official USPS post office, but they do mail stuff). i’ve even run to the grocery story a couple times! only to pick up light, non-perishable things like coffee beans, cereal, etc. i bring a bag to carry the food back in. it’s not that great to run home with a bag in your hand but it’s doable.

literally running errands feels so accomplishing!

27. Lauren @ Lauren Runs June 15, 2011 at 5:39 am #

This past weekend I ran to go get a quick gift for someone. Strapped a little draw bag to my back to hold my wallet & the gift on way home. I’d like to find a nicer little pack that doesn’t shift as much.

Much more regularly, I’ll go for my run and stop at the grocery store on the way home. With that gallon of milk (or whatever) I’ll then walk the last quarter-mile home.

28. RoadBunner June 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

I bought a hydration backpack to use for just this purpose. I freqently run by the post office or library during a run (both literally about a half a mile from my home) but thought maybe I’d start running to the grocery store for small things. Haven’t used it yet, though!