Hitting the Books

Chris finished the last of his fire classes a couple weeks ago, but now our table is being covered with Paramedic books since those classes start next week!

So. Many. Books.

June 071

I am being inspired by his study skills and pulled out my own books that need to be read.  We can be study buddies again like the good old days in college.

June 074

I have had all these books for quite a while and have read bits and pieces of each of them, but I know I need to commit to fully reading them!  Sometimes I just really suck at reading after sitting at a desk all day and running too, but it needs to be done.

June 072

Advanced Marathoning I know very well, but the rest of them I definitely need to read more thoroughly.  Even if I don’t use the plans or techniques exactly, it’s good to have all the knowledge I can, especially if I want to coach people.  Plus I am looking for some new ideas to spice up my training, so I can’t think of a better place to find them!

June 073

I started digging into Run Faster tonight with my pencil and paper in hand marking up my training plan.  We will see what changes I come up with.

What are your favorite running resource books?  Have you read any of the ones I have?

, , , ,

37 Responses to Hitting the Books

1. amanda@runninghood June 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Ah girl! I could have written this post. A woman after my own heart…love getting into a book and learning from it! I have almost all of these! In fact, I just picked up Advanced Marathoning to start reading up on training for back to back marathons and how to play it safe. I read Running From Within in college and LOVEd it. And Brain Training is the one I just read for my marathon training! LOVED it…it is so beat up! My husband has been using it too…for his half marathon and now for 5k training. I think I’ll do it again too! You’ve got me all revved up to get some of those books out! :)

• Aron June 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

I really like the Advanced Marathoning multiple marathon plans (what I am using right now and what I used for my BQ!).

2. Holly {our interestingly boring life} June 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

So this has nothing to do with your post, although i absolutely LOVE to read! and go into barnes and noble often to look at all the running books they offer! And am an avid runner’s world mag reader! Although i like a good romance novel – i don’t read to think, i read to get away =) Any who, my question is about my Garmin – i have the 305 and I have been seeing in the blog world where people can see their splits, etc. I have only been using it to see how far i’ve gone and just how long it took me to get there. I read the manual and still haven’t been able to find my splits, time for each mile… am i missing something? (i’m no techie..)

• Sesa June 8, 2011 at 10:13 am #

Hey Nelly, I haven’t been able to figure out how to get my splits on the 305, either! (Tho I must admit I haven’t actually read my manual yet.) These days I’ve been hitting the lap button when my watch beeps after every mile. Then when I plug it into my computer, I’ll see a rundown of each mile time and pace.

But I’d love for someone to dive in here and tell us how to set our watches to automatically record our splits. That way I can save all of that button-pressing energy for just running. :)

• Sesa June 8, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Oops, I mean Holly … my response was for Holly’s question. My bad!

3. Nelly June 7, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

haha you have like the exact same books that I have at home! I’ve read Advanced Marathoning, Run Faster, Daniels Running Formula and Marathon – The Ultimate Training Guide. All of the books had things in them that I thought were useful, and in general they seem to say somewhat the same basic things.

I still want to try to follow the Advanced Marathoning 18/55 training plan for a marathon sometime. The Run Faster marathon plan also sounds interesting, it has more change of pace style runs and more different types of runs than the Advanced Marathoning book.

I also need to try to read Brain Training, I’ve heard good things about that book.

4. RoadBunner June 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

I have the Advanced Marathoning which I’ve only dabble in. As I mentioned on FB (which I guess I commented on prematurely before reading this) I just got Run Faster on the recommendation of a running podcast. The ‘cast also mentioned the brain training book and some of its ideas which I thought were interesting. That will probably be the next one I pick up unless you give it a horrible review ;)

5. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad June 8, 2011 at 4:45 am #

I LOVE Advanced Marathoning! Run Faster is good too. I have way too many running books to read. Next up is Endurance Sports Nutrition…but first I have to finish Born To Run :)

6. Nancy June 8, 2011 at 4:56 am #

I have to admit that after the day ends I’m more of a chicklit reader. I’ve read “Born to Run” and “Run Like a Mother” and a few others but these look great! I need to work more on expanding my knowledge base! Happy reading!!!

7. kristen June 8, 2011 at 5:40 am #

Do I see 2 “advanced marathoning” books in there? Do you get extra credit for that?

• Aron June 8, 2011 at 7:53 am #

There are 2 editions :)

8. marlene June 8, 2011 at 5:48 am #

Mark has read Advanced Marathoning cover to cover, and I look at it occasionally for reference. But mostly I just ask him. :)

We picked up a new one recently – I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s all about RECOVERY! I am looking forward to cracking that open.

Enjoy the reads and good luck to Chris!! That’s a lotta material!

9. Kerry June 8, 2011 at 7:24 am #

I wish I had more of a pile like yours, but unfortunately my pile looks more like Chris’s. Sigh.

10. Jesse June 8, 2011 at 7:43 am #

i’ve been reading a lot of running or running related books lately and i cant get enough. i’ve read ultramarathon man, run less run faster, runners world complete book of women running, and right now i’m reading what i talk about when i talk about running. ive got a nice little stack of books to read also: run by dean karnazes, kara gouchers running for women, my life on the run by bart yasso, and run like a mother. i LOVE to read. usually i am reading 3-4 books at a time. i mainly read the running or running related books at the gym when i’m on the elliptical. i’m loving learning as much as i can too :)

11. Morgan @ Endorphaholic June 8, 2011 at 8:21 am #

It’s not solely about running, but the Triathlete’s Training Bible is an amazing resource for training and running! It also includes the emotional and mental stuff as well.

• Aron June 8, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Chris has that book! I will have to look at it – never thought about that but it’s probably a great resource too! Thanks :)

12. Alberto June 8, 2011 at 8:49 am #

All very good books. Last training cycle I used a plan in Running Faster by Hudson. That book really helped tweak my plan according to how I was performing and feeling. By far my favorite.

13. Karen Adrian June 8, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Oh LORD!!! I also have most of those books…but what I have found truly inspiriational are all of Dean Karnazes books: “Ultramarathon Man” “50/50″, and “Run”….when in a rough patch or tough run…I often find myself recalling some stories in his books and say to myself… “If Dean did THAT..I COULD DO THIS!!!”…..But of course , I am a running junkie…and as such this is just where I am today…it will probably change in a few weeks!!!

• Aron June 8, 2011 at 9:38 am #

I have read Dean’s books and love them! Ultramarathon Man was my fav :)

14. Beth @ Boston2Berkeley June 8, 2011 at 9:20 am #

I have an entire shelf of running books at home! I really liked Brain Training for Runners, and I’m using one of the half marathon training plans in there to train for my August race. I also loved Kara Goucher’s Running for Women and Bart Yasso’s “My Life on the Run.” My favorite running book of all time though is Kathrine Switzer’s autobiography “Marathon Woman.” It’s incredibly inspirational, and also an important history lesson for runners. A large portion of the book focuses on the work that went into getting the women’s marathon into the Olympics. I had NO idea that the first women’s Olympic marathon wasn’t until the 1984 games. It’s amazing (and horrifying) to think that within very recent history women weren’t allowed to run long distances (more than 800m!) because “their uterus might fall out.” We’ve come a long way!

• Aron June 8, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Ohhh I need to read Kara’s book and Kathrine’s too! Need to add those to the list for more “pleasure” reading vs. sciency training plan reading :)

15. Jolene June 8, 2011 at 9:21 am #

What are your fav. running books? Not even specifically marathon books just running in general…and they must be books you’ve read already. Thanks!

16. Corey @ the runners cookie June 8, 2011 at 10:25 am #

This is a great reminder that I need to really READ a couple of the running books I have right now – I tend to flip through or skim the chapters that are relevant to me at the time, but I think there’s a lot of value in reading them cover to cover. Right now I’m reading (and absolutely loving) Matt Fitzgerald’s “RUN: The Mind Body Method of Running By Feel”

17. Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel June 8, 2011 at 10:43 am #

Very cool that you’re working toward coaching!

I’ve generally been more into narrative books like Born to Run, where the training tips are integrated into the storytelling, than the more structured guidebooks. Personal preference, I guess.

18. Jen June 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

I haven’t dug into any running books yet — I’m still debating if I would benefit from a subscription to Runner’s World magazine — but I’m interested!

It would be cool if you’d do brief reviews on the running books you’ve read. It would be helpful to know which ones are worth checking out for wherever you are with your running/training/racing.

19. B.o.B. June 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I have read 0 running books. I read a ton but I just can’t seem to get into books on running. I may need to give it another go, but I really just like reading for pleasure. I’ll have to give it another go.

P.S. You’ll be a great coach!

20. Robin June 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

I have most of those books as well. I finally committed to reading Run Faster on Sunday since I wanted to base my half marathon training program off of it. I have always used the Pfitz plans which I love but wanted to try something different to see if I can build up some speed.

21. ellen June 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

i just started “run fast” last night! i just got done “4 months to a 4 hour marathon.” i recently started a little book club (check it out!) that’s less strategy books and more motivation for running. just finished “personal record” and am currently in “what i talk about when i talk about running.”

22. Keri June 9, 2011 at 2:29 am #

Run Faster is one of my favorites! There are some great training plans/workouts to try. I like Hudson’s emphasis on hill workouts for speed/power…

23. Laminator June 9, 2011 at 6:42 am #

I find Daniel’s Running Formula another value resourse for racing and workouts. I probably use that as much as Advanced Marathoning when formulating my training program.

I am jealous you have time to read all of those books.

24. Gadget April 3, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

Nice blog here! Also your web site lots up fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate link for your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

25. Restaurant April 3, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

fantastic issues altogether, you simply won a new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your post that you just made some days ago? Any sure?

26. Divorce Lawyer April 10, 2014 at 2:31 am #

I¡¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i¡¦m happy to show that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I most indubitably will make certain to do not disregard this web site and give it a look on a constant basis.

27. international law May 7, 2014 at 2:35 am #

I was just looking for this info for some time. After six hours of continuous Googleing, finally I got it in your site. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative web sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.

1. Revamping | runner's rambles - June 16, 2011