Garmin Basics

I have received a couple comments lately asking how I get my splits off my Garmin, so thought it might be helpful to do a Garmin Basics post.

What I refer to as the “main screen”
June 113

I have the Garmin Forerunner 205 which I LOVE.  It is actually my second one (the first one bit the dust after a few years, some dog teeth marks and some rainy runs) and I got the 205 again.  The 305 is the same as the 205 except is has heart rate monitor compatibility.  I love the 205 for it’s large screen that I can still see when my vision gets cloudy when I get tired, and for it’s basic features I use all the time.  I have hardly had any problems with it!

These are the basics for those two watches… any of the newer/fancier ones you will have to ask seek advice elsewhere.

Auto Lap
Steps to set up your watch to "auto lap" or record your splits every time you reach a certain distance.

From the main screen
Mode
Training (enter)

June 118

Training options (enter)

June 117

Auto Lap (enter)

June 119

Choose: By Distance
Lap at 1.0 miles* (or whatever distance you choose to lap)

June 120

*I always leave mine set to auto lap at 1 mile and then just manually lap by hitting “lap” for track workouts.

Mile Splits
Steps to get your splits off the watch.

From the main screen
Mode
History (enter)

June 131

Running (enter)

June 130

By Day (enter)

June 132

Select which run you want data from (enter)

June 134

View laps should be highlighted (enter)

June 126

Scroll through and you will see each mile time or each lap that you manually lapped.

June 138

You can also plug your Garmin into your computer and upload all your watch data to Garmin Connect.  You get all kinds of info including seeing where you ran on a map, the elevation profile and all your splits.

Boston simulator 03.20.11

Also make sure to read my post on Garmin and the Pace Band for how I use my Garmin in races or on pace runs.

Hope that helps!

Any other Garmin questions?

19 Responses to Garmin Basics

1. Alex June 9, 2011 at 10:35 am #

I was actually wondering what will happen to my Garmin if it rains. So far, I’ve used it when it was cold out and I could cover it — and I’m scared what will happen to it now that I can’t cover it. How do you protect your Garmin on rainy runs?

• Aron June 9, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I usually just turn it so the screen is on the inside of my wrist, or try to cover it with long sleeves. I typically haven’t had any problems, but one marathon (Eugene) water got on the inside of the screen (I could see the water in it). It eventually dried out, but had some issues after that.

2. ingrid June 9, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Do you know that I’ve always wondered about this, but never taken the time to ask one of my runner pals or read the manual. I LOVE this post and can’t wait to actually spend a little time re-programming my Garmin later. Thanks, Aron!!!

3. Sesa June 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Thank you! I’m going to do this tonight.

4. Page June 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Awesome post! I need to up my Garmin skills asap!

5. Adam June 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

That seems a lot more complicated than the garmin 110.
    But I would be lost on my runs without it – how can anyone run without knowing their spilts?!?!

6. Katie @ Life... Discombobulated June 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Thanks so much for this post! I have had my Garmin for a few months but hadn’t gotten around to dealing with the “lap” function yet – I have been just pushing the “lap” button at every mile. I just changed the settings and now can’t wait to run again! :)

7. Holly {our interestingly boring life} June 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

my lap function has been set to “off” for a year… thanks for this post!

8. Bruce June 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

You can also sync your Garmin with Dailymile.

9. Tia June 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Love this post!! I was recently at a Best Buy in Memphis, TN and they were selling Garmin 305′s for only $47. I already had one (which I paid MUCH more for) but what a DEAL!!

10. Amanda June 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Okay I have a question about this post…. did you pull that elevation map off your garmin training center program? If so, how do you copy your charts to the blog?

11. Christine Jensen June 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

THANK YOU ! I have been wondering how to do this forever! (I have the 305)

12. kristen June 10, 2011 at 6:33 am #

I have the 405 and it completely revolutionized my running. Seriously. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

13. Jessica June 10, 2011 at 6:37 am #

A big virtual hug to you! I’ve been trying to figure out how to put my Garmin on Auto Lap for 3 months! And I’m not ashamed to admit that I can count on my fingers and toes how many times I’ve tripped waiting for my Garmin to turn to the next mile so I can hit the Lap button.

14. Kamaile June 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Thank you! You made it so simple. To protect my garmin from rain I put a thick wrist sweat band over it, not perfect but it helps!

15. sdrunner June 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm #

I have the 305 and love it, I feel more comfortable running with it than the Nike+, which never felt reliable to me. I know most of the basics on my 305, but there are some random features..like a map??

16. Kamaile June 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Just wanted to say auto lap just took my runs to another level! I’ve had my gamin for 5 years and never used it, duh!! Thanks Aron!

17. Kristine @ Running on Hungry August 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

Just set up my auto laps – thank you for this post! Helped so much!

1. Garmin the Game Changer « runningonhungrydotcom - August 4, 2011

[...] wrists are pretty small and it fit nice and snug and didn’t bother me in the least. Thanks to Aron’s Garmin Basics, I was able to set the auto lap to 1 mile in about 15 seconds and off I went! SO EASY. Post run I [...]