Foodie Friday: Small Changes

To be honest, over the last couple months since the marathons, I haven’t been feeling that great about myself.  You know when you just don’t feel good about your body?  That’s how I was feeling.

I had let my eating go a little nuts and just was not being the healthiest I could be.  Which is totally fine, I think it’s GOOD to have those times, but I also think sometimes they need to be reigned in a little bit or else they get out of control.

I am definitely not a person who can eat everything I want whenever I want without having some side effects.  I try to not be overly crazy with being healthy ALL the time, but it’s on my list of priorities because I can very much tell when I am not.  I have been able to find a good balance, but some times it starts tipping the wrong way.

I used the excuse “I am marathon training” a lot during Boston Training and got into some habits that I typically wouldn’t have done before (frequent ice cream, extra cookie, etc).  Which again is all fine, I am a big believer in “everything in moderation” but my “moderation” just got a little skewed, and I could TELL.

I could tell how my body felt in certain places, how my clothes were starting to fit, and I could tell in my running!  I knew I just needed to make a couple small changes to get my habits back in line, and I would start to feel better.  So that’s what I did!

A month ago I got back on the healthy train, but as of last week I got back on the healthIER train.

Starting last week, my goal for the week was to make some changes, nothing too drastic, but change a couple things that I know are good for me and will make me feel better in the long run (hah pun intended?).  For me, making small changes sticks in the longer term since they are more manageable.

For example, instead of dumping endless amounts of granola into my yogurt and oatmeal, I am monitoring the granola dumping and also replacing some of it with berries!

June 552

Instead of coming home and immediately sticking my hand into the bag of peanut butter filled pretzels or brown rice chips, I am going to the refrigerator first and getting some veggies and hummus or cutting up some cucumbers and sea salt (crunch + salt = win!).

June 611

Half the time I am not even hungry when I get home from work, it’s just out of habit that I go to the cabinet.  So this way I am putting something really healthy in my mouth first and thinking about what I am doing rather than mindlessly snacking.

For me, that’s pretty much what it comes down to: small changes that I think about, rather than just mindlessly do.  Thinking about what I am putting into my body and paying attention to what I am eating goes a very long way.

Of course I still will always still indulge a bit, but after a week of making more conscious decisions about my eating I already felt better.  And it makes the indulgences even more worth it!

anniversary

What are small changes you make when you can tell you aren’t feeling your best?  Do you think a lot about what you are eating?

26 Responses to Foodie Friday: Small Changes

1. Shannon June 24, 2011 at 10:42 am #

I have been jumping back on that healthy train as well. I am really starting to notice how my food affects my training and with my first triathlon at the end of the summer I want to be able to fuel my body the best I can

2. Jen June 24, 2011 at 10:46 am #

I have also climbed back on the healthy eating wagon – I have cooked dinner every night this week (clean eating meals, and from the Cooking Light cookbook). I have made enough so I can bring more with me for lunch the next day. I definitely feel a lot better!

3. marlene June 24, 2011 at 10:47 am #

I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS MYSELF! I let myself slide waaaay too much after my BQ. I could really feel it in my clothes, my attitude and my running. I put on about 8 lbs. OOF! That’s a lot and I still have a few of that to shed to get back to my “racing” weight.

I’m all over the small changes too and TRYING to learn this whole moderation thing. It’s difficult for me sometimes and I ask myself: “How can you get up at 4:30 AM four times a week, run 60 miles in a week and put so much in your training, but it is so difficult to maintain a healthy/reasonable diet??!” I still don’t know the answer but I am working on it. Every bit helps and I feel sooo much better already.

Evening snacking is one of my biggest weaknesses, so I am working on cutting that out or at least making better choices. Going for an apple before cereal, some yogurt instead of toast, etc.

• Aron June 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

I think evening snacking is super hard with morning runs. At least when I run after work I don’t have as much free time for boredom snacking – if that makes sense. It’s hard to have a whole evening at home without wanting to constantly be snacking (at least for me!).

• Marlene June 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

YES I have exactly the same issue. Having too much free time and access to the kitchen is hazardous.

• Kristen (inspiredbydooce) June 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

I very much agree with the danger of the mindless evening snacking. Luckily so far I’ve been unable to drag myself out of bed for the morning runs so I have to run instead if snack in the evening :)

When I feel like I need to start paying attention, the first thing I do when I’m about to eat something is think “why am I eating this? Am I actually hungry?” and it often works.

4. Holly June 24, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I try to limit the amount of “junk” in our house and make sure I bring snacks with me to work and to run errands. It helps me make smarter choices and not just “indulge” all the time. For me, cutting back on sugar is the trick. I’ve gone for long periods without any (read the entire time I trained for my 70.3 in 2009), but I’m trying to use the moderation attitude this time around.
    If I keep good things in the house, I will eat them, but if it’s even slightly difficult to make the healthy choice, I know I won’t do it. Planning ahead is the key…speaking of which- I need to go make a grocery list :)

• Aron June 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Yep this is me too! Don’t keep junk in the house so I only have it when I REALLY want it enough to go get it ;)

5. Alyssa June 24, 2011 at 11:38 am #

This is really inspiring to see/hear. I too can tell when my eating gets wonky, but mostly because my running suffers a bit! I find that I crash in the afternoon and I don’t always want to go for a run after work. It’s funny that I notice it in my running first, rather than in what I put in my mouth!

6. skinnyrunner June 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

i like the term “granola dumping”. it just sounds funny.

i too, have to watch and be aware of what i eat no matter how much i run bc i can easily mindless much through tv shows/internet/movies and suddenly ive taken in a thousand or more calories. oops.
    so when im trying to reel back in the indulgences, i try to eat less food WHILE doing something else…while watching tv, while being on internet, while driving and instead focus just on eating that meal and appreciating it.

• Aron June 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

YES very much me… it just seems natural to have food while doing all those things and then before you know it, its gone and you don’t even realize it. Very good point.

7. Karen Adrian June 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Wow!! Funny, because I just got back on the wagon train myself…I’m very cautious about my food intake and I noticed that with increase in mileage, I was doing some extra dips into too many sugary treats…thanks for the post!

8. Joanne June 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

I did the same thing when training for Boston but I got into toffee. Toffee and caramel – my ultimate downfall.
    I don’t usually get too out of control as long as I allow myself one day a week when I eat what ever I feel like eating.

9. runner26 June 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

i feel like i’ve been having a harder time with this now b/c of my newborn baby and much less running! it’s hard to cook so i mostly snack when i can..and lately it’s been fruit, nuts, crackers, granola, etc. all of these things are high in calories and can easily be overeaten if i’m not careful. i’m glad i’m not alone and that small changes can lead to big results! glad you posted this ;)

• Aron June 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

I bet it’s SO hard with a baby! I know many of my friends that are moms struggle big time with this.

10. Candice June 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

I have been feeling very much the same way about my body. I have been trying to take advantage of my craving for fruit during the warmer summer months. I might have to try the snack replacement idea though. I am so bad at just grabbing whatever is easy. I need to make healthy snacks easier!

11. Ana-Maria June 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

It is easy for me to eat more stuff – healthy, but more than I need (e.g., peanut butter) during heavy training; I do not loose weight when I train hard (Lol). But after my first marathon when I gained weight during the recovery period I learned to keep an eye on what I eat after the race. Some people restrict food during training, and then splurge during recovery, but that has never worked well for me. Great job getting even healthier

12. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair June 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I really like this post and it’s so so true. Way too often I get home from work – and I’m STARVED – so I reach for chips or cereal or granola. I need to get in the habit of reaching for VEGGIES! Small changes really do make a BIG difference :)

13. Holly {our interestingly boring life} June 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

I really try not to buy snacks/sweets but then we get home from the grocery store and the hubs and I are like what’d we just buy? what can we eat? our whole foods has like a health person at the front that you schedule a shopping date with or a store tour and she takes you around and helps yous pick things out, I’m thinking about using her! PS i bought the back to nature version of cheese crackers because its organic and you think healthy UM they have 140 calories in SEVEN crackers. just SEVEN!! I could easily eat the entire box in one sitting… I had to throw them away! I gain weight just thinking about food!

14. Jo Lynn June 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

It is easy to overdo the granola in the yogurt, isn’t it? I’ve switched to slivered almonds instead of yogurt. I can tell though, the tablespoon is turning into a quarter cup in a hurry. Can you *please* text me your phone number? I’ve lost all my contacts in the process of getting an iPhone. Thank you hon. ;)

15. Katie June 25, 2011 at 5:36 am #

I am just tired of eating in general! But I do need to do some things cut back on sugar, and am going to try to eliminate gluten my stomach is giving me all sorts of issues running lately :/ I think way too much about what I’m eating some days I just want to EAT.

16. kristen June 25, 2011 at 6:59 am #

I have this window between 2-4 where I can think of nothing but food. Seriously, what’s that all about. Even when I eat great in the morning and have a hearty/healthy lunch. Annoying. When I’m marathon training I usually eat 2 smaller lunches, one at 11 and then another at 2. Maybe I need to go back to that.

17. Mica June 25, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Snacking (mindlessly and out of boredom) after class or work is one of my downfalls!

I really like the idea of not keeping treats in the apartment/house. It does make the indulgences more worthwhile to go out every once in awhile for them!

18. Chelsea June 25, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I consider myself to eat pretty healthy during the week. On the weekends I usually allow myself a few glasses of wine which sometimes is not the healthiest. My biggest change that I always seem to be working on is getting in more water and less diet soda and carbonated drinks. For some reason I can drink water with something in it like Crystal Light, but when it comes to plain water it is torture for me.

19. Kelly June 25, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I make changes similar to yours! For me, it’s always the snacking after dinner that gets me, so I try to make sure I choose nutritious stuff, like yogurt and a little nut butter instead of going out for froyo. I always have a treat on long run days though – usually carrot cake, which is my weakness!

20. Susan - Nurse on the Run June 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

I keep telling myself I need to get back on the healthy train…I don’t eat horribly, but I can certainly tell when I’m eating EXTRA good instead of just somewhat normal. It’s just sooo much easier to grab something quick rather than to plan everything out, especially in NYC! Plus, cooking for one has never been a favorite of mine. My body definitely knows the difference, and I’m sure running improves with proper nutrition! I try to keep unhealthy stuff out of the kitchen, as it’s easier to reach for it if it’s right there……although it’s never far away when you live in the big city. Ah, eating well is so hard!