Flashback Friday: 2008 See Jane Run

I have noticed that I like to do a theme with Friday posts and had 3 with Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, and Friday Fun.  Now I am adding Flashback Friday to the mix and I will just rotate through them every week to keep it interesting.

This weekend I am running the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Alameda!  This will be the 3rd time I have ran this race and what makes it the most special is that it was my very first half marathon!  This weekend it will be my 19th!  Yowza.

Me, Tara, and Kristin as baby runners!see jane run

I was training for the San Francisco Full Marathon as my main goal, but the girls and I found this race and decided to sign up to get some race practice in.  It was a cool, cloudy morning and we were all excited and nervous.  I do have a sort of race report, but it was before I wrote in depth ones.

Some things I remember:

• We did a warm up jog and stretch session.  We were all nervous and weren’t sure if we should be stretching or what before hand but we did!
  • We found a random bathroom to use to avoid the porta potties.  I don’t remember being as obsessed about the bathroom as I am now pre-race.  Oh to go back to those days!
  • We were chatting away and all of a sudden everyone was moving!  Guess the race had started.
  • These are my very first pair of Nike Tempo Shorts!
  • I loved running into the finish line and pushing myself that last bit.  I was very proud of myself!
  • We had champagne after, but only ended up taking a sip.  The bagels and peanut butter tasted much better at the time.
  • When the official results first were posted, the times were a couple minutes off.  I was so confused why my Garmin said 1:51 and the official results said 1:48.  They were eventually corrected and my official time was 1:51:03.
  • After we went to Katy’s Kreek for the first time ever, which to anyone who has ran with us in the bay area knows that this is our GO TO place.  I have eaten there so many times since then – yum!
  • After I went to a wedding where I drank a lot of wine, ate a huge ice cream sundae from their sundae bar (best idea ever!) and danced away on my sore feet.  I was telling everyone “I ran a half marathon today!”

Finishers!
champagne

A few hours later, all dressed up!  I miss you long hair.sjrw

This weekend I don’t really have any goals time-wise, I just want to have fun and enjoy the race.  My legs are finally starting to feel semi-normal again after a month of feeling tired and heavy, but I haven’t done any speed work or tapered at all for this race.  I am just treating it as another training run.  The weather should be rainy and cool – which is my favorite – and I am looking forward to the champagne and chocolate at the end!

What was (will be) your first big race?

, ,

22 Responses to Flashback Friday: 2008 See Jane Run

1. Beth @ Boston2Berkeley June 3, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Funny, I have flashback, recap post of my first half marathon set to go up this weekend :) I’m excited for Sunday, it will be my first race since the Oakland half. Going to go pick up my packet this afternoon!

2. Kerry June 3, 2011 at 11:56 am #

I love this!! It reminds me of my first race and all the questions I had running through my mind. I enjoy seeing the learning curve, but also realize how much more there is to learn!

3. marlene June 3, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I love Friday themes! I like to do “Flaskback” and “Foto” :)

So fun going back to your first race! That must feel like EONS ago but really it has only been a couple years. Crazy!!

My first was a half also – at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, the biggest race in our area. This will be my 5th year and 3rd time running the marathon (ran the 1/2 twice).

Love it!

Have a great weekend!!!

4. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad June 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

The Philadelphia Distance Run (now called the Philly RnR Half) back in 2002!! I ran it with TnT and had the best time. It’s 100% the reason why I love distance running!

5. Page June 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Awe – so cute! Good luck this weekend!

6. stoppingfordaisies June 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Hey I did flashback friday today too… different sort of flashback tho. :) And that’s so neat, I want to do the See Jane Run… but the 5k. Cuz the half is scary.

7. JanaC June 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

My first big race was a full marathon. It was the SeaFair Marathon in Seattle (actually held in Bellevue). It has now been replaced by the Seattle Rock & Roll Marathon. I had not trained at all. I think I had run outside maybe 3-4 times, but had been rocking the stairmaster every day at the gym. On a whim, and I mean the day before, I decided to sign up. My goal was just to see how far I could go and what it felt like. I walked into the expo to sign up and the lady said “You are only doing the half, right?” at that point I got so fumed that I stood tall and said “NO, the full!” and was so determined to show her I could do it. During the race I set mini-goals, get past the 9 mile mark (the furthest I have ever run), finish, finish without walking. I was never so sore after a race and I wouldn’t recommend anyone signing up on a whim, but it led to 12 others, so something about that race put the marathon bug in me. :-)

8. Wendi Matt June 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I do a flashback friday!!! mine is movies, music, tv and a fashion trend from a different year. today was 1986!

9. Nelly June 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

I think I will like your Flashback Friday posts, haha That is great that you have all the way back to 2008 documented in your blogs!

It is always a big deal doing your first race of a new distance! Especially a half marathon, since running that far seems so long!

My first real significant race of a long distance was SF half marathon in 2009 – it was an amazing feeling crossing the line, I had never ran farther than 10 miles until that day.

10. skinnyrunner June 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

my first big race was rock n roll vegas – good times. im jealous that you get to be race this weekend. and your husband is a cutie. thats all.

11. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) June 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Fun post :) I like it.

12. See Jane Run June 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Have fun Sunday! We’re happy to have you running with us :)

13. Michelle June 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Good luck this weekend!

Wow your hair was really long! It’s funny how you miss it when it’s gone — but do you miss it when you are running?

14. Meg June 3, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

This weekend, SJR is going to be my first half too…can’t wait.

15. Toronto Girl West June 4, 2011 at 1:29 am #

Your baby runner selves look so cute!!!!!!!! :)

My first race was a 10K in Victoria – it was a blast! But my first big race was Long Beach but you already know that! ;)

I think I would like to do another one but likely not until next year – I would like to lose some weight first so the foot strikes have less of a damaging potential. I’m still not back to running post-stress fracture.

Mainly ’cause I’m chicken!

Anywho – have a blast at the race!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. kristen June 4, 2011 at 6:43 am #

19! Wow, that’s a lot in a short period of time. Your a MACHINE. So fun to see how far you’ve come! And you’r life will never be the same…..

17. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) June 4, 2011 at 8:05 am #

i love reading about people’s first big races! i ran my first half marathon in the middle of my college track season (in retrospect, not the smartest idea!) my friend and i registered under pseudonyms so that our coach wouldn’t find out, hehe.

18. Stephanie June 4, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Good luck :) have a blast!

19. Anna June 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Great post! My first big race was a half marathon this April, and I’m getting ready for my first full marathon in December. Reading posts like this gives me hope that I can do it!

20. Nicole June 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

:) great memories! i ran my very first half marathon this weekend several years ago too! :)

21. Petra June 5, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Hope you have a great day out there Aron – know what you mean about the heavy legs but just go out there to have fun (and champagne!). x

1. Race Report: 2011 See Jane Run Half Marathon | runner's rambles - June 5, 2011

[...] I mentioned before, this was my 3rd time running the See Jane Run Half Marathon.  It was my very first one, it [...]