Any Run

Happy National Running Day!!!

images

Today I had a hard time getting out the door.  I had evening plans, but just couldn’t get my run to happen this morning.  Then after not getting off when I hoped, I was afraid I wasn’t going to have time to get my run in at all!  On a side note: I have pulled out the big guns to get back into a morning routine – post coming soon.

How could I not run on NRD?  The holiday FOR runners!  I was sad.

bostonshoes

But the running gods spoke, my plans ending up falling through and I had time to run.  I got ready and headed out into the wind for a short recovery run.  My legs were mad and didn’t feel great at all, but I had a fantastic run yesterday, so I didn’t mind.  I was just happy to be running when I thought I might not have time to.

Because any run is a good run.

Sometimes a little thing like not thinking you will have the time to run makes you realize that any run is a good one and better than no run.  Then you think about those that can’t run, those that would be desperate for a bad run just because it was a run, and that makes you really realize that any run is a good run

Today on NRD, I was reminded of these things.  I ran for those that couldn’t run today, from injury or time constraints or whatever it was, and I had a smile on my face even though my legs felt heavy and slow.  My legs were moving, I was running and I am lucky for that.

No matter if today was your first run or your millionth run, it was a run so celebrate it!  Running is a gift, sometimes we just need a little reminder of that and what a great reminder National Running Day is.

How did you celebrate National Run Day?

2011 Boston Marathon 021.3

AND What a perfect day to announce the winner of my 700th post giveaway and send a reader a box full of a few of my favorite running things!

And the winner is….

700winner

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair!  She said:

I have a love/hate relationship with surprises. Sometimes I love them but other times I hate them – especially if they mess with plans. Last summer my mom surprised me with a weekend visit and it was SO GREAT to see her but I also had to totally rework my plans for the weekend, which wasn’t quite as fun.

I can’t wait to see what’s in your surprise box!!

CONGRATS Amber!  Email me and I will get you a fun box full of my favorites.  She had a great post on her running story today you should definitely check out too.

Thank you everyone for celebrating with me, for entering and for reading… you guys are the best and there is definitely lots more fun coming up!

, ,

27 Responses to Any Run

1. Jen June 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

Congrats Amber! I actually just came from her blog, where she talked about reading your blog, and I wanted to check it out! You had me at your “My Story.” I am fascinated by the number of marathons you have run (congrats on Boston! I’m a Boston girl) and am definitely a new reader.

I’m a relatively new runner. Never thought I’d call myself that either. Didn’t run a day of my life until last summer, and I ran my first race, a 5-miler, May 22nd this year.

Happy National Running Day! Today was my “rest” day, so I didn’t run, but I’ll make up for it tomorrow!

• Aron June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Thanks for coming over and reading!! Hope you have a great run today :)

2. stoppingfordaisies June 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

i’m glad you got to run, you’re right… any run is a good run! I need to keep that motto in my head. :)

3. Rebekah June 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

6 miles with my best friend around the Boulder Reservoir. Saw the sunrise and hot air balloons! ;)

4. Michelle June 1, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

I took a short but very meaningful 4 mile run…it was worthy of a blog post!

5. Brie @ Brie Fit June 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I ran four miles on a hotel treadmill. It was good for the soul!

6. Xaarlin June 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

I must agree that any run is a good run.

Today I did a 5k time trial to see where I’m at for marathon training, and I killed it with my fastest time yet. 22:40!!

Yay! Happy running day.

• Aron June 2, 2011 at 9:54 am #

SO AWESOME! Congrats on the great time trial!

7. Nelly June 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Awesome post. As someone who is injured, I really appreciate the shoutout to those of us who can’t run due to injury.

8. courtney (pancakes and postcards) June 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

11 something miles through san francisco. Longest run since Big Sur Marathon a month ago today and it was kind of painful, but since the SF is in 2 months I figure it’s time to get it in gear. :)

9. Cindi (runninfromthelaw) June 2, 2011 at 3:31 am #

I celebrated with cake!

10. Stephanie June 2, 2011 at 4:20 am #

I really love this post and the quote of any run is a good run:) thanks!

11. Michelle June 2, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Managed to fit in some tough speed training, we did ladders of 200m,300m,400m. I couldn’t keep up with the crazies, but I pushed myself to complete every sprint.

12. Amy June 2, 2011 at 5:30 am #

Four mile run around the neighborhood. I spent the rest of the day thinking about how a year ago, four miles was an insurmountable distance and one I only rarely tackled – and yesterday I just fit it in before work and considered it a “short” run!

13. Lisa June 2, 2011 at 5:32 am #

cycling was on my schedule, i made it a brick and added a short run to the end. yowza, that was tough!

14. marlene June 2, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Glad you were able to sneak in a run for NRD! I have been running mornings alll week and strangely not having any issues getting up. I wonder if that will wear off soon. ;)

15. Nancy June 2, 2011 at 5:58 am #

I agree…not being able to get in a run makes you realize what a gift it is! I attempted a run but my daughter had a different idea! We only got in a mile but it was better than nothing!

16. Rob June 2, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Any run is a good run. Awesome words of wisdom! Great post.

17. Jaime June 2, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Couldn’t love this more (well, unless you drew my name)! :) Any run is a good run!!!

18. Heather June 2, 2011 at 7:43 am #

I ran a short (and fast for me run) yesterday!

I try to make every run a good run – I just wished it was always true!

19. katieRUNSthis June 2, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Congrats on getting in a run, be it unplanned or not! Like you, NRD sort of made me think about why I run. I realized that I run because I have no real excuse not to. I mean, when I first started running, I didn’t do it because I actually like it. I did it because I wanted to stop gaining weight. Now I realize that I am strong and healthy and I have been given this awesome body to love and take care of. I am thankful that I am ABLE to get outside and run. There are people that for whatever reason or another are in wheelchairs, on crutches, use walkers and don’t have the ability to use their legs like I can. There are people with lung conditions that can’t take deep breaths of fresh air like I can. I need to remember these things when I feel a “runner’s funk” coming on and remember to be thankful for this body I was given.

And though I wasn’t in the mood to run last night (being pregnant, some days I am just NOT in the mood), I did it anyway…because I could.

20. katie June 2, 2011 at 9:12 am #

I signed up for my first fall race to celebrate!

21. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com June 2, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Love the, ‘ANY RUN IS A GOOD RUN.’ Girl, you nailed it!! Beautiful weather and beautiful girl!!!

22. Allison June 2, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Sadly, due to a scheduling fail on my part, I went swimming on National Running Day. But I thought about running and how much I like it! :)

23. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair June 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

I did a 4 mile trail run yesterday morning! Was a lovely way to kick off National Running Day!

And ya ya ya ya for winning. I am seriously SO SO SO EXCITED :-)

24. runner26 June 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

yay! i had a similar experience yesterday with national running day. you are right – any run is better than none! and it felt great to be out there

25. Susan - Nurse on the Run June 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

You read my blog so you know how I celebrated….with a run that didn’t feel so hot! But any run is a good run….so hooray for National Running Day!