That’s Me!

I previously mentioned that I was going to be running the Las Vegas Marathon this year because of a running blogger conference that is currently in the works.  What I didn’t mention is that SkinnyRunner asked if I wanted to be one of the speakers…. and I said YES!

Ahhhhh!

Now it’s official… I am up on the site!

URBS2a

If you know me, you know this is a big deal.  I am deathly afraid not the biggest fan of speaking in front of large crowds, so this will be something new and challenging for me, and will definitely push my boundaries.

But I am really excited!

I figure if I am going to talk about something in front of people, running would be the thing I would want to talk about.  I mean I talk about it forever to anyone who will listen already, so this shouldn’t be too hard.

Details about the weekend are still in order but it has been titled Urban Running: Blogger Summit and there is a temporary site up with information.  If you want to be on the list to get information email urbloggersummit@gmail.com and say you are interested!  It’s going to be a blast and the more interest they get the better it will be!

I do need a little bit of your your help…

If you were going to go to a conference like this, what topics would you want to hear about?

I need ideas!

• Balancing working full time with a training plan/time management/tips for fitting running in
  • How to make your own training plan/training plan tips
  • Fueling for runs
  • Running clothes

Anything else running related!

Let me know what you would want to hear about or any ideas you have!

I am so excited for this and I hope to see a bunch of you there!  The more friends I have in the audience the better.

Do you like public speaking?

I ran for ASB Treasurer during my junior year of high school and had to give a speech in front of a lot of people during my campaign.  It was really scary but one of the most rewarding experiences because it went so well and I had a blast!  I did end up winning, so was treasurer of my high school my senior year… yes I wanted to be an accountant back then too… yah yah.

41 Responses to That’s Me!

1. Cate May 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

That is sooo exciting! I really wish I could be there!

2. Kerry May 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

YES! Love it!! I sent my email saying I was interested!!

3. The Green Girl May 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

That’s awesome, girl. Please share more information about the conference, I am planning on doing this race, too.

4. Alyssa May 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

That’s exciting… congrats!

5. Nelly May 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm #

Awesome! You should try to recruit EMZ to be a speaker too, she would be awesome to hear from about her 24 hour marathon experience.

6. Kristen May 18, 2011 at 3:24 am #

How fun! I wish Las Vegas was closer, that would be a fun conference to attend.
    I definitely get nervous when I have to speak in public but it isn’t anything crippling (thank goodness).

As for topic- I know I would attend a session on designing training plans.

7. stoppingfordaisies May 18, 2011 at 4:31 am #

That is so cool, I wish Vegas wasn’t so far away so I could go!! I would want to hear beginning running stuff but since I bet most people that go aren’t new to running, I guess scratch that. Maybe designing training plants and running clothes (I love running clothes)?

8. Beth May 18, 2011 at 4:43 am #

Wow, congrats! That is a huge deal!! Good luck with the prep, you will do well I’m sure.

9. Kelsey May 18, 2011 at 5:07 am #

How Exciting! I wish I could go!

I would like to hear about how to balance a full training schedule, a full time job, a husband and still be able to relax and get things done at home

10. Jaime May 18, 2011 at 5:25 am #

So exciting!! I want to come to Vegas! Looks like too much fun! :)

11. Ana-Maria May 18, 2011 at 5:26 am #

How about the road to a BQ? I think your story is one of tenacity, perseverance and hard work, and people would like to know about the work you put into BQing, how you dealt with the disappointment, and how you kept believing in yourself. I think many people give up BQing when it does not work out from the beginning, or never believe they can it.

• Aron May 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Great idea! Thank you :)

12. Kelsey May 18, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Wish I could be there!

13. Michelle May 18, 2011 at 5:48 am #

Congrats, that is so awesome. Now I’m debating if I should come to this great conference or run CIM. Tough decision.

• Aron May 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I know! I had to decide too, am still a little sad about CIM but this will be a fun change for a year ;)

14. Jessica B. May 18, 2011 at 6:17 am #

Congrats on being a speaker, that’s so awesome. I am hoping to run Vegas, just waiting for the registration to open up! DOn’t be afraid about public speaking, no one knows you are nervous, just you. What I usually do is pretend that I am not nervous and keep telling myself that I am not nervous and that it is fun. It may sound stupid but it really helps

15. Ali @ Ali Runs May 18, 2011 at 6:17 am #

Congrats!! I really used to be so afraid of public speaking–like would pretend to be sick in school so I would postpone presentations as long as possible (now I just want to get them over asap). They are a part of my graduate program and I feel like I have gotten more comfortable with them, but only because I have had to do so many. At least you’ll be talking about running and be around a group of women/men interested in what your insights are. :)

16. Page May 18, 2011 at 7:54 am #

ARON!!!! You didn’t tell me! That is so exciting and I can’t wait to be there and support you!

17. katie May 18, 2011 at 7:58 am #

I love public speaking and can talk forever about essentially nothing (my long run buddies love me). Congrats to you! I’m still thinking about coming out for this race….!

18. April May 18, 2011 at 8:05 am #

You go, girl!! This is so awesome and I know you are going to do great!!!
    I think your idea of talking about how to make your own training plan is really a good one. I am always so impressed with your training plans and wonder how in the world does she know how many miles to do each day…. Also, all your secrets to keeping injury free. You have some really good ones and they must work because you have stayed so healthy over the years.
    EXCITING!

19. Bonnie May 18, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Alright! That’s so exciting! I’m really hoping to be able to go (sent in my email address!)…we’ll see what our lives look like closer to the date, but a running/blogging conference would be so fun and educational! I think the topics you’ve chosen are great…I’m also curious about getting into more long distance running (I hope to do my first marathon this year) but am not sure if that would be a great topic to speak on…just something I’m processing.

As far as public speaking is concerned, I love it! My husband and I are currently on the east coast of Canada (in Halifax) and are 2 days away from finishing up a film tour of a documentary we made called “Wrong Way to Hope: A Story of Young Adults & Cancer” that chronicles our kayaking trip we took 7 other young adult survivors on 2 years ago. We’ve screened the film in total in North America over 100 times but on this trip about 33 times (http://wrongwaytohope.com) and have spoken lots with it…The more you do, the easier it gets and the better you become! This has turned into a passion and cause, but it’d be great to speak about running too – SO many great life analogies (love those parallels…I spoke about it in university in classes). Good luck, and enjoy the road to getting there as well as the start of your next marathon training!

20. Jesse May 18, 2011 at 8:13 am #

that’s exciting! i dont think you’ll run out of running related topics to talk about!!! i wish i could be there. i think its going to be so much fun!!!

21. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 18, 2011 at 8:24 am #

AHHH SO SO FUN!!! You are going to do amazing. I am also deathly afraid ha! Maybe I can just type what I want to say and put it up on a screen or something ha. We are going to have a party. I want to hear about how you balance it all!

• Aron May 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Party!!!!!!!!!!! Watch out Vegas :)

22. Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides May 18, 2011 at 8:27 am #

I am TRYING to get the time off of work to go, I am in love with you all and would die to run in LV!
    I would like to hear you talk about::::: Balancing working full time with a training plan/time management/tips for fitting running inI would like to hear about:

23. JanaC May 18, 2011 at 8:29 am #

How about 50 runner tips? A friend is a frequent public speaker (IT industry) and his “tips” talks are the highest rated. People love tips. They like quick bites of information. You could start with “your story” and then lead into “50 things I learned”.

Just a thought :-)

• Aron May 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Love this idea!!!

24. katy beth @curlyrunnerbugmovesin May 18, 2011 at 9:40 am #

i am so excited about the conference! i just sent an email to get on the list of attendance. i cant wait to meet some of the amazing runner bloggers i follow online! oh and my vote is how to fit it all in. the training/full time job/life/family aspect:)

25. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 18, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Ah, that’s so exciting. I’d love to go to the Vegas Marathon. Keeping it in mind, for sure! Good luck coming up with ideas. I like the idea of talking about balancing full time work with a full time fabulous blog.

26. carly May 18, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Woo hoo! That is so cool. I wish I could go, that looks like an amazing line up. I loathe public speaking but other find it amusing how I shake and studder.

27. barbie May 18, 2011 at 11:34 am #

so very very cool. what an awesome honor! best of luck, planning and writing and speaking. yeah!

28. Holly May 18, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I was hoping you’d be one of the speakers–hoping to make it to the event! I like the balancing working full time with training and/or making your own plans ideas. Hope to see you there!

29. amy May 18, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Congrats! I’ve gotten much better/more comfortable with public speaking over the years, but I always get nervous in the moments before. It’s much, much easier when I’m talking about something I know and love, which means you’ll do great with running as your topic!

30. Felice May 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Congrats! That’s great! I HATE speaking in front of crowds but had to do it a lot in past jobs and volunteer work and I’ve gotten better at it but it still stresses me out. Good luck!!

31. Cheree May 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

As a NOT skinny runner, I would love tips & ideas for plus sized runners, especially CLOTHES and running gear (like waist packs? My waist isn’t wee!). It might sound silly, but I’d also love to know any tips or tricks for filling a race calendar when races don’t seem to be posted in any one central location. I’ve found SO MANY websites with race calendars listing different races. Holy cow! It’s like a part time job keeping track of them all!

Oh no! I’d love to go, but WHY does it have to be the same weekend as California International Marathon! Pout city!

• Aron May 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I know :( I was bummed too to be missing CIM this year – tough decision!

32. lindsay May 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

you are so famous!!

33. Naomi May 18, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

I used to work for a company that taught presentation skills. I still have some of their resources if you want to use them. Best advice I can give is videotape yourself to practice! Congratulations – I’m sure you’ll do amazing!

PS Will there be a virtual broadcast – like via WebEx for those who want to attend remotely?

34. Beth May 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

How exciting! I’m hoping to make it over there, since Vegas is a pretty easy weekend trip from L.A. I second the idea of tips for plus-sized runners. And I’ve really loved your entries about Boston – maybe something like, “How to Make the Most of Your Race Experience”?

35. Marlene May 19, 2011 at 6:08 am #

AGH, congratulations! That’s so exciting!! I wish I could come to hear you! I am a NERVOUS public speaker too but I know you’ll be great!

What about sharing your experience(s) when a race does NOT go the way it is “supposed” to? You helped me so much when it was my turn to have a “not my day” and I think you could help a lot of people.

36. onelittletrigirl May 19, 2011 at 8:43 am #

Now I can say I met someone famous :)

You are awesome and deserve all of this amazing’ness you have been experiencing!!!