Our Treadmill

It’s no secret that I am not a fan of the treadmill.  I avoid this thing at all costs and yes we have one in our house.

Blog 119

When Chris and I first started running we bought it thinking it would get TONS of use.  Hah.  I get on it maybe once a year if that, but luckily it can get used happily by two other members of the household.

May 436 May 445

When we first got the treadmill we started training Kylie and Emma on it, so they have been exposed to it for quite a while.  This did not happen overnight!  We taught them in steps, first being hooked up on a leash and being constantly watched, then eventually transitioning them to being able to leave them on there running on their own.

Right now I am working on getting Kylie and Emma back into running shape because they love to run, I love to have them with me and it’s just good for them.  I have been bad about taking them lately and that needs to change!

I had planned on taking them for a mile each after work since they need to build up their endurance (just like humans!) but it was raining and Miss Priss Kylie refuses to go out in the rain.  So we went to the backup plan: the treadmill.

It has been a while since they have been on it, so tonight was a test to see if they remembered what they were doing.  I put them on for a 10+ minute fast walk/jog each and they definitely remembered what they were supposed to do.  Neither one of them tried to get off or had any problems, they just happily trotted away.

Just a little bit of time on the treadmill and these two were happy girls.

May 503 May 507

It looks like someone else wants some treadmill action too.

May 508

Don’t worry I didn’t turn it on even though she needs it the most.

Do you like running on the treadmill?  Do you have a dog you run with?

, , ,

51 Responses to Our Treadmill

1. Alyssa May 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

AHHHHH! THIS IS MY FAVORITE POST EVER!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, it SOUNDS like Emma is moving really fast! I was like, “ARON!!! TURN THE TREADMILL DOWN!” Then I read your description, and it doesn’t appear that she’s struggling. :) Man, Emma is coordinated! That’s a lot of paws to keep in a straight line!

Kylie is just plain amazing. She is so smiley & cute, patiently waiting her turn. I love it!

Okay, yeah. The cats are definitely next. I think they can do it!! :)

• Aron May 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

LOL she just doesn’t pick up her feet! Kylie is much smoother ;)

2. RoadBunner May 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

I love how Emma looks up at you when you’re talking to her and then quickly looks down as if to say, “Geez, woman! I need to concentrate here!”

• Aron May 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

I think part of them getting so tired on the treadmill is the concentration factor – it’s more tiring to them than just running outside!

3. Freya May 17, 2011 at 2:43 am #

Hehe that’s too cute!!
    I hate the treadmill, so much. The amount of runs I’ve done on them can be counted on my hands! For some reason, they make my legs ache really bad. I’ll be fine road running, but in pain treadmill running. Bah.
    I have a Jack Russell which I’ve taken running a few times, but she’s useless – too small and gets under my feet! I think big dogs – as long as they don’t pull – are easier to run with :)

4. Christine May 17, 2011 at 3:29 am #

I can’t believe Emma is soo good on the treadmill! That is awesome :) I don’t like the treadmill either, I only use it when it’s dark outside. I’m too scared to run alone in the dark.

5. Beth May 17, 2011 at 3:46 am #

hahaha, that is too funny! I bet they love the exercise!

6. Stephanie May 17, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Way too cute! Love it!

7. Kristen May 17, 2011 at 4:50 am #

I wonder if a cat could be trained to use a treadmill…

I am not a fan. When I’m super sick of winter and I can’t stand the thought of another run in the snow, I’ll go to the gym for a treadmill run just for a break or if I’m in a different city and have to run at an odd hour that makes me question my safety outside I’ll use the treadmill…but other than that I avoid it as much as I can.

8. Tim Wilson May 17, 2011 at 4:56 am #

That is just awesome, I can’t say that I would have been able to resist turning it on with the cat on it – said with an evil grin :)

9. Michelle May 17, 2011 at 5:02 am #

Adorable pups, glad someone is putting your dreadmill to use. I avoid them like the plague unless the sidewalks are completely iced over.

10. Val May 17, 2011 at 5:08 am #

LOVE this! The main reason I want to get a dog is for running. Dogs are always so happy and excited to run no matter what:) What speed did you have it on?

• Aron May 17, 2011 at 9:08 am #

It’s pretty slow 3.8 – 4 yesterday – just enough for a trot :) I don’t really like getting them on a full run on there – scares me!

11. Shannon May 17, 2011 at 5:13 am #

So cool that your dogs can run on the treadmill! I have a treadmill but I really don’t like to use it. I have tried putting my dog on it but she is really scared of it

12. Denise May 17, 2011 at 5:14 am #

aw, kitty!! she doesn’t need the treadmill, she’s perfect!! love that the dogs use the treadmill more than you!

13. Daniella @ Runner at Heart May 17, 2011 at 5:32 am #

I hate the treadmill and would much rather be freezing cold or sweating to death than to run on the treadmill.

14. Kim May 17, 2011 at 5:40 am #

This is SO CUTE!!! Love it :) I actually don’t love the treadmill either, but I do enjoy it for speed workouts. I learned to deal with it this winter when we had a blizzard once a week and running outside was physically impossible! When I eventually get a dog I am definitely going to teach it to run on the treadmill :)

15. Courtney May 17, 2011 at 5:55 am #

I had to show this post to my husband, it’s way too funny! :)

16. nicole May 17, 2011 at 6:00 am #

I’ve already told Brian when we get our puppy she will be a runner and I’m gonna teach her to walk on my treadmill! :-)

17. Lacey May 17, 2011 at 6:04 am #

LOL! this is amazing! i watched the video. i love it. i loooooooooooove your animal family :) what cutie pies, all of them. and lol lol about the cat. heh.

18. amy May 17, 2011 at 6:25 am #

I am so impressed that you trained them to go on the treadmill! Our boys would definitely freak out.

19. robin brunet May 17, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Love this post. I hate the treadmill too, but unfortunately have to do so much of my training on it. Love your pics, both my cats love to sit on my treadmill too….

20. Jackie May 17, 2011 at 6:47 am #

I intensely dislike the treadmill but living in Iowa, it is a necessary evil. Ours broke this winter during the coldest and windiest week and I thought I was going to go batty! My husband and I alternate running with our German Shorthaired Pointer Rosemary. She is 2 y.o. and ran 10 miles with us last Saturday. We’re upping our mileage right now for a 20K on June 4 so she is getting in extra miles too. So extra attention to those paws! We have also had a couple of hot days already. She has a purple plastic kiddy pool that she lounges in after a longer run. I’ve been known to take a dip too! I love running with Rosie and it makes her a much happier dog.

21. Page May 17, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Hahahahahahah, this is amazing! What’s even better is the cat! Seriously made my moring!

22. Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner May 17, 2011 at 7:46 am #

OH MAN I need to put my obese cat on a treadmill! But she’d never participate, she’d just huff off and walk over to her food bowl!
    TOO FUNNY!

23. onelittletrigirl May 17, 2011 at 8:01 am #

OMG- Not only did I just watch that at work but I also showed it to like 10 coworkers! I love it!

24. katie May 17, 2011 at 8:10 am #

OH MY GOD. this is amazing! i wish my pups could do this!

25. Faye May 17, 2011 at 8:24 am #

I am literally LOL!!! The treadmill pic plus the sleeping pic goes so well together! I can’t believe you trained them to do that!!!

26. Debbie May 17, 2011 at 8:30 am #

LOVE this!! I have an 8 year old lab mix who loves to run (and take walks) but I have never tried to get her on the treadmill. Don’t think she would like it, but seeing that your girls like it maybe Dana would too!

As for me I no longer use it very often, only when it is super cold and windy outside. I think maybe just 2 times this winter. But it was very useful when I needed to loss weight and my asthma was not controlled enough to run outside. So started very slowly on a treadmill and over 1 year lost my weight, got asthma help and started running outside. Now the treadmill feels odd and I like outside much better.

27. Heather May 17, 2011 at 8:47 am #

I HATE the treadmill – I’ve been running on it because of my horrible allergies. I cannot wait for allergy season to be over.

That video is hilarious. I love that Emma runs on the treadmill!

28. Necia May 17, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Hi There,
    I found you on Twitter, and thus found my way over here. Im a new follower and new runner, and I need all the inspiration and encouragement I can get? Your question touches home to me. Last year I started the C25K program in the gym on the treadmill. I never made it past week 2 although I continued going to the gym. Yesterday I started it again, but put my feet to the pavement. What a difference? Time flew by, and I genuinely ENJOYED myself, and Im LOOKING FORWARD to day2. Unfortunately there is a ton of rain in my forecast, but the training must go on, because I was ballsy and signed up for a 5K in July. Im cheap, and I don’t want to wash my money down the drain, so this will keep me accountable. I guess it’s back to the gym tomorrow, for treadmill training. At least for the day!

Oh, and no I don’t have a dog to train with :(

29. Allison May 17, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I am seriously dying at the video. Bahahaha!

I used to run with my boxer. My last boxer-the one I had before a husband and kids. She was amazing. I could take her on 10-milers with me. I swear, she had a resting HR of 50. Even the vet was amazed!

RIP Abby. I know she’s up there in heaven doing LSD. :)

30. Emily May 17, 2011 at 10:21 am #

oh my hilarious! i hate the treadmill more than anything but i love watching your adorable pups conquering it!

31. Shortskirts May 17, 2011 at 10:24 am #

this is too funny, that’s so awesome that they will run on the treadmill! love it!

32. LindaV1959 May 17, 2011 at 10:30 am #

beautiful!!!

no i loathe treadmills, and my dogs are too crazy LOL

33. Jessica B. May 17, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I don’t mind the treadmill. I need to get my runs in and if thats how I have to do it then so be it. I hate risking my legs on the snow and ice when the weather is crappy. And even now it’s still raining, windy and cold, just had to turn my heat back on. I do not run with a dog but I toy with the idea that when I get a dog I should get on eto run with. Probably the best running partner ever. Your dogs are too cute and looks like they do well on the treadmill.

34. Monika May 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

I too have a treadmill and two dogs! And like you, I’ve almost never used my treadmill. I thought I’d walk on it while watching tv, but its so noisy that I have to blare the tv which is annoying. My dogs are scared of it so I dont think I could get them to walk like your dogs. My boyfriend keeps trying to get me to give up the treadmill but I feel like once I do it will suddenly rain everyday and I’ll miss having one at home. :oP

35. Jill Will Run May 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

I need to train my JadeTheBoxer to do that! She has shown interest in the treadmill the (few) times I’ve been on it. (I hate the ‘mill too!) But when I’ve tried to get her to stand on it she runs the other way. It’s only when I’m running on it does she try to interact with it, which scares me!

36. Amy May 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Too Funny! I hate my treadmill. Now that we’re back in AZ, away from the snow, I never use it. I tried to get my dogs to run on it once. That didn’t go over too well. My running partner is my great dane Andre. He loves to run and is good up to a half marathon but then he’s done, like stops in front of me and won’t let me past, done! Anytime my running shoes get near my feet Andre has his leash and is ready to go. Best running partner ever

37. Jesse May 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Loved the video, your pups are adorable. I don’t really like to run on the treadmill because I think its super boring, but I did it today after I was dreading running in the rain. I really don’t think I was going to go run at all then I read your post and it made me realize I could run on the treadmill at the gym!

38. Kelly May 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

awww, doggies on the treadmill! This morning during my run, I heard some heavy breathing coming up behind me (in Central Park this could be a scary situation…) but it was just some dude hauling it with his dog! They must have been doing sub-7 miles – the dog was speedy! I would love a furry friend to run with somethings, for sure :)

39. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) May 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Love that your dogs run on the treadmill! I will usually (ok 99% of the time!) choose running outdoors vs. the treadmill, but my gym can be a decent option if the weather outside is dangerous.

40. Running 365 May 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

What?! I thought this was some kind of late April Fool’s joke until I scrolled down and saw the actual video. I didn’t think dogs really could run on the treadmill, but I guess I’m just out of the dog loop. Our treadmill just holds laundry- I HATE it but can’t quite bring myself to get rid of it just in case I go on another daily running streak.

41. macnic May 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I don’t mind the treadmill as it is the only sure way for me to keep the pace easy, but since ours needs a new belt I’ve only gone to the gym once a week for the treadmill runs. I don’t have a dog, by my four year old son used to hope on the treadmill after me to a 2 minute run.

42. barbi May 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

words cannot describe how much i L-O-V-E this post and your dogs!! EEEE I die watching that video and may watch it over and over again.

43. Barb Bryan May 17, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

So Cute

My Nova Scotia Duck Toller loves to run with outside and on the treadmill. Here in Alberta, Canada the temps can get to -40degrees Celsius in the winter months so me and her hop on the TM and do our morning runs :)

44. stoppingfordaisies May 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

Omg that is sooo awesome! Lol, how cool! And love the last pic of your cat (who looks a bit like mine I think).

45. Rachel May 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

HAHA this is hilarious! funny timing, too, i was just watching a video of a cat on a treadmill on youtube!

46. d.a.r. May 18, 2011 at 5:58 am #

Most amazing thing ever!!! I love this!

47. Marlene May 19, 2011 at 6:09 am #

Your pups look so cute on there, and LOL at the kitty trying to get in on the action!

48. Mia May 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Oh man, I love this post. So hilarious – particularly because it’s clear that your pups would prefer to just chill on the couch!!