Marathon Fever

2011 Boston Marathon 013a

As I mentioned in my 2011 Goals Check In post, I had given myself until May 1st until I was allowed to make any decisions on what I wanted to do regarding my fall racing schedule.  Too many times I have had my whole year planned out January 1st, when really I might want to do something different as the year progresses.  There are so many things that I want to do in running and I didn’t want to make a decision prematurely this year, especially considering I had such a big race with Boston, then Big Sur

Maybe training specifically for a half marathon would be a nice change?  Or maybe it was time to run that ultra marathon I have been talking about for years?

Well the first thing I did coming out of Boston was start to look up fall marathons.  That is all I could think about!  Seriously, what is it about running a marathon that makes you want to run another one so bad?  After Big Sur it was the same and definitely a big topic of conversation this weekend with all of us… what races am I going to run next?!

So that pretty much sealed the deal for me… marathon it is!

Then I had to answer the bigger questions: which one(s) and how many?

2011 Boston Marathon 006

I have spent the past 2 years being so dedicated to specific goals and races that I have said no to a lot of things.  I really wanted to run the San Francisco Marathon in 2009 and 2010, but decided against it to focus on the bigger picture.  I was so focused on getting my BQ for a long time that I wouldn’t run a full marathon just for fun.  Then I was so focused on Boston for so many months, that everything I did and signed up for revolved around that race.

Those are over now for the time being and I want to run races!  This is the year for me to do whatever I want, to run as many marathons as I want and to have fun while I am doing it.  I love training for marathons and I love running some races for fun without pressure, so I think this will be a fun combination and a great way to keep things interesting, and even a little unpredictable for me?

untitled

First up, I am definitely running The San Francisco Marathon this year.  I will not be racing it all out, but I do have some goals I would like to hit, but we will get to that when the time comes.  I am helping trainees train for it, so why not run it myself?  Plus being an Ambassador this year and it being my first full, I think it’s time to come full circle, 10 marathons later, and run the full again.  After two years of really wanting to, but doing the halves instead, I think it’s definitely time.

Blog 103

Now what else?

Well I had a whole section of this post written up with all the races I was considering, so I could ask for your advice on which ones to sign up for.  Then I couldn’t take it anymore and I went and jumped the gun and registered for a fall marathon!  I seriously have no patience sometimes.

header2011
(source)

Portland Marathon – 10/9/11

I have been wanting to run this race for a very long time and I am SO excited that my friend Jen will be running it too!  It’s going to be such a fun weekend and she has graciously offered for me to stay at her house which makes it even better.  I have heard great things about the race and it typically has my favorite weather too – cold and rainy!

AND…

For some reason I really want to run 2 marathons this fall.  At least that’s how I feel right now!  I don’t want them to be too close together (no more 13 days apart for this girl!), so I can recover and get another short training cycle in, which leaves me at this very logical answer…

2011-CIM-header-course_large
(source)

California International Marathon – 12/4/11

I know, I know, I said I was NOT going to run this one again and I told many of my friends to not let me sign up.  It is actually even a section in my 2011 Goals post: “For instance, I have instructed a few of my friends not to let me run CIM this year.  Although it’s one of my favorites races and I am sure I am going to want to sign up when it gets later into the year, it’s time for a break.”  Meh.

But I really want to!  It’s such a great race, so easy logistically, fits in with my schedule and I just love it.  I haven’t signed up yet, but I am definitely leaning towards it unless I find something else.  Any other ideas?

The Races I Considered

I had very much considered the Philly Marathon and still would love to run it, but the travel expenses to get there are too expensive for me right now.  I will run it one of these years though!

I also highly considered the Two Cities Marathon in Fresno (it’s supposed to be flat, fast and well organized) but it just wasn’t jumping out at me for some reason.  So I went with my instinct on that one for now and decided not to run the full there, especially after I signed up for Portland.

The Santa Barbara Marathon also crossed my mind.  It is close to my parents and I still consider the area “home” but haven’t heard the best things about the course.  I definitely will consider it for future years.

Half Moon Bay has a new full and half marathon starting this year that would be fun too and so pretty.  The full is out since I will be running Portland 2 weeks later though, but am definitely considering the half.

So many options!

I am sure I will run a few shorter races in there too, so far I only have the Nike Women’s Half Marathon on the schedule (yes the weekend after Portland, will definitely be a fun run), but we will see what else I squeeze in along the way.  Or maybe it will just be the year of the marathon for me?

So yes, that is a lot of marathons for a year and yes if I complete them all that will be the most I have ever done in a calendar year (5).  I am not planning on “racing” them all and will assess my goals and fitness level when I get to each one.  One might be a long training run for another or it might be an “A” race, I will decide when I get there.  I did well the year I ran 4 marathons and was able to bounce back between marathons and I actually really enjoy the shorter training schedules.  You should see this excel work book of training plans I have going on right now, it’s been fun to make.

I am really excited about it all, so that’s what matters most right?  I just want to run, think less, enjoy training and the race atmosphere, and have a lot of fun along the way.  Whatever happens happens and I am going to enjoy the ride.

I definitely have the fever.

, , , , , ,

48 Responses to Marathon Fever

1. Emily May 4, 2011 at 9:55 am #

ahhhh so exciting! i was waiting for this post. you make me want to come out and join you for both portland AND CIM. I need both of those states so it makes sense, right?

5 in a calendar year is seriously stellar work. i can’t wait to keep following your marathon fever through these next 3!

2. Michelle May 4, 2011 at 10:11 am #

Wow, you have a lot on your plate!
    I’m thinking about Portland as well, although it will be far for me. I may have to check out CIM or Half Moon Bay for something closer. Why wouldn’t you run CIM again?

3. Kali May 4, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Picking a fall marathon schedule is tough! I already have Chicago that I’m for sure doing, but I have marathon fever too and want to add another lol. I’m excited to see what you decide!

4. Ingrid May 4, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Oh…the race in Fresno is lovely! When time allows, I’d highly recommend it. Maybe 2012 will be your Fresno year. I shaved 4 minutes off my PR on their half course. The friends of mine that ran their full and ultra were fans as well. PLUS, the schwag ain’t too shabby there. Happy racing, can’t wait to see how your training goes!

5. Shannon May 4, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Sounds so exciting! I can’t wait to read all about your journey with these races!

6. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad May 4, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Philly will miss you this year :( It’s a must-do marathon (although I am biased)!

7. LeeAnn May 4, 2011 at 10:52 am #

So exciting!! You could come run the Rock and Roll Denver….gotta love high altitude races ;-)

8. Beth May 4, 2011 at 10:54 am #

hah, you’re such an addict! I love the Nike Women’s SF race, it’ll be so fun!

9. Sesa May 4, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I am also considering CIM. It would be my first 26.2!

Half Moon Bay is really close to where I live (Pacifica), so I might do the free 5K.

10. Tim Woodbury May 4, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Is Portland still open? I’d heard that they filled early this year, but I never bothered to verify it. Maybe I should go check it out.

• Aron May 4, 2011 at 10:59 am #

still open! The half filled and they are saying the full is going to fill early, but not yet :)

• Tim Woodbury May 4, 2011 at 11:51 am #

I’m so glad you posted this! I’ll be running PDX after all. :D

11. Kerry May 4, 2011 at 11:10 am #

I loved visiting Portland last summer!! That is definitely a race I’d consider in the future too! I loved hearing all about your decision making during last weeks’ run.

12. Jesse May 4, 2011 at 11:11 am #

yay for CIM. do it :) haha!!!

after doing it last year, and then saying i was never doing another one, and after all the pain and struggles i had through training AND the race, i loved every single minute of it and want to do it every year as long as i can!!!

13. Alisa May 4, 2011 at 11:12 am #

LOL, this makes me laugh…it is funny how running one marathon makes you want to run another. So this means you’re be a maniac right??

See you in October two weekends in a row (Portland and Nike). Possibly in December too as I’ve had my eye on CIM (my hometown mary) for awhile. Planning to build up my mileage over the summer and decide how I’m feeling.

14. Daniella @ Runner at Heart May 4, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I have the fever too. I am looking a for fall marathon as well but do’t want to have to travel to far from Boston.

15. Anamarie May 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

WOOT! I’m excited to see which one (or two or there) you’ll choose! Why do the marathons call themselves “international”? Why not just California Marathon?

16. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef May 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

sounds fun! i need to sign up for my fall marathon…my husband is even going to do it this year…im so excited!

17. Jeremy May 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

I recommend for maybe next year’s cut….Baltimore, Philly, MCM, or Richmond

Springtime race….Suntrust National in DC

All good ones for both ambiance and chances to improve your PR if you want.

18. Karyn May 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

too. many. choices. hahahah! i need to suck it up and commit to something.

19. Kristin May 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Yea for Portland! I ran the half last year and am doing the full this fall. I am sure there is NO WAY the weather could be as bad this year as last. Another late fall marathon that I have been interested in (since reading Pam Reed’s book, The Extra Mile) is the Tucson Marathon (second weekend in December). A couple of months ago I had a bunch of air miles to use, and next thing you know I have 2 tickets and an entry to Tucson in hand! It is a net downhill so after Portland I will be pushing the downhill training!

20. Marlene May 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Ahhh it’s a good fever to have. Sounds like it’s going to be a fun year. ;)

21. amy May 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Haha, I just wrote a post that I haven’t published yet on what’s next. My credit card is going to hate me.

22. RoadBunner May 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

I am signing up for Half Moon Bay tonight. Come join for the half, maybe?

My only other suggestion besides CIM would be to do Portland for fun and maybe race Fresno. But perhaps I am just saying that since I will be at Fresno, in all likelihood. Ha ha. Or maybe I’ll do CIM instead…hmm….

23. Cate May 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

I LOVE Portland (it was my 2nd marathon) and I can’t wait to do it again. You will have so much fun! I really wish I could do CIM this year, but I think it will be too soon after I have the kid. I’m excited to start thinking about Spring 2012 marathons though!
    This post totally makes me want to sign up for a bunch of races.

24. the dawn May 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

wow, marathon fever indeed! sounds like you’re going to have a fun and marathon-filled fall.

i’m waiting until we move and i get settled in to my new life before i commit to any more marathons…last time, when we moved here to michigan i signed myself up for the full marathon in october (2 months after the move). i had to dns because the move KILLED my training. i’ll just have to live through you and your training cycle :)

25. Amy May 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Yay for the 2011 Portland marathoner crowd! I just signed up for that one last weekend, too! :)

26. Michaela May 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Excited that you’re running Portland! I ran it last year, and even though it pretty much poured throughout the entire race, I had a great time. I love that city — make sure you take a few extra days off just to explore the food — there are so many amazing restaurants and food carts!

27. Nelly May 4, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

lol at your comment about having a post all ready to go about asking us for advice on which race to do, then losing patience and registering before you asked us!

Sounds like we literally have the exact same schedule for 2011 – I’m doing the 2nd half of SF half marathon, then Chicago Marathon on 10/9/11, then CIM on 12/4/11. I haven’t told anyone that I signed up for CIM yet, because I am still injured right now, so it’s just weird to even mention that to anyone yet. Maybe once I get healthy I’ll mention that to people that I signed up for it.

Another idea that my friend brought up to me is the Houston Marathon on 1/14/12. The 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon is this marathon, so it would be really cool to see. The half marathon is the next day on 1/15/12, so my friends suggestion was that we watch the marathon on 1/14, then run the half marathon on 1/15. It sounded like a great plan, though I’m not sure I can do the half marathon just a month after CIM. Maybe I could pull it off, it sounds like a great plan so far…

28. Amanda May 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Yay for another blogger running Portland! So excited for it :)

I don’t have anything planned between Jane and Portland except for a small 5k in Castro Valley I’ve done the past couple years. It’s always my PR course, but I want to do something else in August or September…

29. Meghan May 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

I would love to have Portland be my very first marathon, but I am just not sure it’s in the cards this year. Maybe next year though! I also have heard the Eugene Marathon is great, and would love to run that.

30. Lynne May 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

What about the Las Vegas Rock n Roll? Run the strip at night!!

31. Lauren May 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

You could always run with me for CIM, we are usually toe and toe together anyway. I would also love the company for the event and for training.

32. Sarah May 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I hope you make it back to the east coast next year :)
    I’m running Philly this fall.

33. Corey @ the runners cookie May 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

You have such big, exciting plans already! I have something in the works for the fall, too ;) When you mentioned running a marathon more for fun (and not full-on racing it) I noticed that I have never really considered running a marathon “for fun.” I’d never considered not registering for a marathon that I wasn’t going to put my heart and soul into the training and expect something great. I’m not sure why I feel this way, because I’m fine to do 10ks and other races just for fun! Maybe it’s because the training is so long, that I feel the need to put so much into it? Anyway, I think your plan sounds awesome and they all sound like incredible races!

34. Page May 4, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

All of this Portland talk is tempting me!!! We are crazy, but it’s awesome!

35. Demi May 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I laughed when I saw CIM! But hey, if you want to run it….go for it! I’m glad you’re running for you!

36. Jo Lynn May 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Yay for running for fun. Does this mean you can do little trail runs or bike rides with a particular friend, maybe? ;)

37. Rachel May 5, 2011 at 1:31 am #

portland is definitely on my wish list! i’m debating CIM this year as well, and may end up doing it since sac is my hometown.

i must add, however, that i think the santa barbara marathon is fantastic! i lived there for 4 years and ran the inaugural marathon in 2009. the course is absolutely beautiful with green mountains and lemon groves in the first half and the pacific ocean in the second half. and of course amazing weather is guaranteed! some rolling hills keep things interesting but nothing too crazy. i definitely recommend it!!

38. Jen May 5, 2011 at 6:19 am #

I’m SO excited for you to come to Portland. We’re going to have a blast! :)

And for the record, I tried to stop you from registering for CIM! But I think you’ll do great there. You’re going to do great at all of them!

39. katie May 5, 2011 at 6:47 am #

hey, if i’m running SF, you have to run Philly! just kidding. but i’ll be at philly!

40. onelittletrigirl May 5, 2011 at 11:06 am #

if I wasnt doing Baltimore, I would be doing Portland. I think that’ll be for next year!

41. Susan - Nurse on the Run May 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

So many races out west that I want to run, and you’re making it so tempting! Will definitely consider CIM as another race this year…although that would most likely be the fifth marathon for me too! We’ve SO got the fever, and I’m not sure I’m looking for a cure. :)

42. skinnyrunner May 6, 2011 at 7:06 am #

just reading about other people signing up for races makes me want to sign up for them all too! portland is fun and pretty, kinda like eugene and ive only heard great things about CIM but you know about that one.

43. Meredith May 6, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Oooh!! Portland!! I won’t be running it, but will be cheering from the sidelines!! My first full is the Vancouver USA in June. Aiming to do Portland in 2012. Got to spectate there last year and it was AMAZING! Have so much fun!

1. Marathon Recovery | runner's rambles - May 5, 2011

[...] though I may have Marathon Fever, I am being a good girl and making sure I don’t get too excited and jump back into running [...]

2. Weekly Recap: Recovery Week | runner's rambles - May 8, 2011

[...] finishing the Boston 2 Big Sur challenge and planning what I had ahead of me during marathon fever (which already has some changes… in a post coming soon), I knew it would be smart to take a week [...]

3. Change of Plans | runner's rambles - May 11, 2011

[...] a recovery week and marathon fever can be a bad combination sometimes.  The urge to run races with lots of free time on my hands [...]