I Answered, Part 2

Continuing from Part 1, I am answering questions from last week!  In order to keep this posts at a reasonable length, I broke the questions up over a couple posts.  This is part 2!

Alex asked 3 questions:
Can you tell me a little bit more about losing your toe nails? For some months now, two of mine have become pretty much like blue stones, and I don’t know if they will fall off or just stay like that. What is your experience — do they hurt, when do they fall, how long before they grow back, and how do you hide the ugliness in the meantime?

My toenails that I lost were mostly because I get water blisters underneath my toenails and then it makes them disconnect (or whatever they do) and eventually fall off, so I don’t really have experience with black toenails.  I have lost a lot of toenails over the years (except for my big two *knock on wood*) and they just haven’t really been the same since.  My feet aren’t pretty, I am embarrassed to get pedicures and typically don’t wear open toed shoes like I used to.  If I do I just try to paint them to make them more presentable and hope for the best!

Where I glide…
May 747a May 745a May 746a

Without going into TMI, can you tell me a little bit more about Body Glide — how to use it, where, etc.

I always body glide my inner thighs when wearing shorts to help them not ride up.  This is something I have done forever and sometimes I wonder if it’s in my head now, but I am not willing to risk not wearing it to find out!

I also will body glide around my waist, specifically on my back, if I am wearing some sort of belt.  The slight bouncing definitely causes chaffing!

In Boston I got chaffing underneath my arms really bad and it bugged me the entire race.  I forgot about it and re-chaffed in the same spot at Big Sur.  It wasn’t fun!!  If it is raining and my feet might get wet I put lots on my feet in the arches and on my toes.

I think it just takes some learning the hard way to figure out where you might need it in the future.  All you have to do is take off the lid and rub it on!

Rolling, sticking, trigger pointing…
May 754a May 757a May 752a May 751a

Can you say a little bit more what kind of exercises you do with the foam rollers and sticks?

I use my foam roller for my butt, quads, IT band and typically for my upper legs.  The bottom 2 pictures are the main things I do, and also onto the front of my quads.

I use the stick mostly for my calves (top right), but also have used it on my upper legs especially if I am going somewhere and don’t want to carry around my foam roller.

May 764 May 317

The Trigger Point Kit is new and I use it pretty much everywhere.  I have the starter set which includes the footballer and the ball.  It’s GREAT on calves (upper upper left), on my upper legs and I use it a lot on my shoulders.  I get really bad knots in my back/shoulder area and it helps to get the extra pressure on them to relieve some tension.

Freya asked:
I’m training for my 2nd marathon, but before I booked it, I also signed up to do a half mary for charity. The half falls on the same weekend as my final 20miler would be – 3 weeks before. I’m thinking about doing a 20-21 the weekend BEFORE the half, then the 13, then another 20, then a 10 or so, then marathon. So it’d be more of a 2 week taper, rather than a 3. Do you think that’s wise?

I’ve heard some people say I should do my final long one 4 weeks before, but I’m very worried about my fitness dropping off, and I need all the confidence I can get! My recovery after my long runs on the last marathon were super, which gives me confidence. I also know the taper is meant to be about cutting down on the volume of training, so if I did do the 20 2 weeks before, but didn’t run as much in the week, do you think that’d be better / work?

Any advice from a 10 x marathoner and Boston-er would be appreciated!!  (OH, and the half marathon is a massive event, one of the biggest in England and in central London, so it would be near impossible to run another 7 before / after it!)

This answer is purely based on my opinion and experiences, so what works for others and me might not work for you….

I was first going to suggest adding on before or after the race, BUT since that is out of the question AND you have ran a marathon before, I would probably do the 2 week taper.  I actually have this coming up myself, before Portland and am debating on what to do.  I have always done a 3 week taper but have often wondered if a 2 week taper would be better.  I think as long as you don’t push too hard on your last 20 and just super taper the next 2 weeks you will be fine since you have a history of recovering fast from long runs, etc.  If this was your first marathon the answer would probably be a different one.

Definitely listen to your body when the time comes and make sure you are keeping your #1 goal in front of you.

Anyone else have any insights on this?

812860467705_0_ALB

RoseRunner asked:
Is it true!? Are you also an East Bay-er?! Either way, you have an amazing race history. What race was your fave? Did you love Eugene? I did Eugene this year and thought it was a near-perfect race.

Yes I am an Easy Bay-er!  Eugene I would have loved since it was beautiful, very well organized and in a fun place, but it was a very tough heart breaking race for me.  I still have revenge to take out on that course one of these years!

I think Boston has to be my favorite just for what it represented and meant to me, but Big Sur is amazing and my heart will always have a place for SFM and CIM.

blog 020

here’s my other questions: how did you (and Page, if you know), become SF marathon ambassadors? I feel so out of the loop, as another bay area blogger and marathoner!

SFM was asking for Ambassador applications so I just applied!  I follow and interact with them pretty closely on facebook and twitter and I saw it on there when they were looking for them.

Jaime asked:
My question for you:  It seems like you run most of your runs slower than your goal pace. How many miles/runs per week do you try to run at goal pace?  Also have you always had this type of training plan…  run a lot of miles and slow them down?

I don’t have a very specific answer, but yes generally I do most of my runs slower than goal pace unless they are tempo or intervals or things on that order.  I have done things a little differently for each marathon I have trained for, but talk about some of my general training paces in this post

When I do run at goal pace, it’s on prescribed runs or towards the end of runs typically, but it really just depends.  Since I do run higher mileage, I have to make sure to keep some of my runs slower to avoid injury and overtraining.

My current training plan has it’s own page too!

Blog 103

Adam asked:
Any advice on how to make the leap, so to speak, from half marathon to full marathon? I’ve still never really ran more 12-13 miles at once and its pretty daunting to think of adding another 13-14 to it.

I might not be the best person to ask this since I jumped from no running to marathon training.  The whole reason I started running was to train for a marathon, so I might be a little biased.

I think you just have to believe in yourself.  If you really want to run a marathon, you can make it happen.  You have to put in the time and the work, but it’s so worth it.  If you can find a group or friends to train with, that is the best way to go for the first one, but really just wanting to do it and believing that you will are the biggest obstacles.

May 885a

On a completely separate post Tia asked:
Just curious… What do the Punk Rock Racing shirts look like?

Since I failed on putting a picture up on the donut run post, here is a picture of the new limited edition Punk Rock Racing shirts!  It’s a new fit and I really like it a lot.  A lot, a lot.  Thank you Ron!

Do you have anything to add to the answers above?

I love hearing other people’s experiences and they can help with the runner’s questions above too, so feel free to weigh in!

Any other questions???

, , , , ,

28 Responses to I Answered, Part 2

1. Denise May 26, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

with all the biking now, you don’t want to see where i have to glide…

2. Freya May 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

Aah thank you so much for answering! I feel a lot better about it now – thoughI’m going to have to obsessively check the comments in case anyone adds anything :p

3. Page May 26, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I learn more and more about you everyday ;)

4. Sesa May 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

After I read your last post on The Grid, I drove to Road Runner Sports and bought my own. I love it! I use it more than my baton-sized foam massager now. Thank you for the recommendation. Love your product reviews.

I also saw the Trigger Point kit, but it was out of my budget. I might put it on my birthday wish list. :)

As for Body Glide, I bought a stick a year ago but have yet to use it. Maybe it’s because I wear spandex booty shorts during most of my runs, but I don’t chafe.

• Aron May 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Glad you love it too!! Its the best :)

As for the Trigger Point, the guy at the store told me that since I have the foam roller the quad roller could wait, so we got the starter kit with the ball and footballer which is much cheaper than the whole kit. We had 20% off too, so that helped with the price ;) Definitely a good one to add to the birthday list!

5. Stephanie May 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

So I jsut started trying the body glide, but i am not sold yet on it. if feels kind of sticky and like it is making the shorts, almost worse…but i see a need for it for sure, any advice?

6. Karla May 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

I HATE that underam chafing area! I always forget my body glide there too!

So now that you have your RCAA certificate (I think that was it) what are you going to do with it?

7. marlene May 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I’m with you on the body glide – I also need LOTS under the bands of my sports bra. Ouch!

To Freya – I have had that exact same scenario with a half falling on the same day as my last scheduled 20(+) miler… this was back in the day when I believed in the 3 week taper. I have definitely converted now. I think that was just far too much time between a true long run and race day. I’d definitely go with 20-half-20-10 in the 4 weeks before the marathon!

• Freya May 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Ah thank you SO much for your input! You’ve definitely put me at ease!!

8. Val May 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

I’m with Marlene. A two-week taper is fine for most people. Just make sure you relax during that last 20 miler and go nice and easy. I would NOT push yourself to do too many miles at MP during that last 20 miler, that might be a big harder on your body. Just relax and get the miles in. That said, I’m not opposed to some short speedwork sessions in the 2 weeks before the marathon just to make sure your legs remember what ‘fast’ feels like)

• Freya May 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Awesome advice – thank you so much for your input :)

9. Alex May 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Thank you for answering all my questions. I love the Body Glide how-to pictures!

10. Angela @ MyPinkyToes May 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

There is so much good information in this post! Thank you so much!

11. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad May 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Love the chafing pictures. Hysterical. Chafing is awful and I never leave home without applying Body Glide right near my sternum so my sports bra doesn’t aggravate me.

12. Jordan May 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

If I may ask a quick question, Have you heard anything about the Santa Barbra International Marathon. I am looking for a good fall marathon that is run on a Saturday. They are few and far between but Santa Barbra seems to fit the bill. I just want to make sure it isn’t a flop before I sign up for it. $115!!

• Aron May 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I have heard good and not-so-good things but know quite a few people running it this year! There are some good comments on it in the comment section of this post: http://www.runnersrambles.com/2011/05/marathon-fever.html

Hope that helps a little :) I *might* go down and cheer since one of my bffs is running!

13. Shannon May 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I am looking at getting a foam roller or stick.. Is one better than the other? I don’t really want to get both right now so I am trying to figure out which would be more effective

• Aron May 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I personally like the foam roller better. Specifically The Grid one above (big different to a standard foam roller in my opinion.)

I just did a quick poll on twitter and everyone seems to agree with me. They say you can replace the stick with a rolling pin :)

The Stick is more portable for travel though.

Hope that helps!

14. Faye May 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

What are those shorts (gray and pink maybe?) you’re wearing in the punk rock t shirt pic? So cute!!!

• Aron May 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

They are actually purple and pink nike tempo shorts. The purple has a design on them :)

15. Faye May 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

You make everything look cute!!! Tempo shorts doesn’t look good on me even when I fold the waist band :(

16. Corey @ the runners cookie May 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

Love that you are answering specific questions so honestly! You have a lot of great experience to base this off of. I’ve never lost a toe nail (knock on wood) but my feet are still pretty nasty! I have calluses all over. I guess it’s just part of being a runner. The ambassador thing sounds really cool, I’d be interested in learning more about that.

17. Jess May 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

In 15 years of running, I still haven’t lost a toenail…or used Body Glide (although I could probably have used it a few times).

I second your 2 week taper opinion.

18. Simi May 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

How did you get so fast? What was your pace when you started runnin and what did you do for however long to get at this speed?

19. RoseRunner May 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

ah, thanks for answering my Q’s. I never would have guessed it was an application process — I thought maybe they found you from past SF marathons. Good for you Ms. Ambassador!

20. The Laminator May 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

I love your answers Aron! They are so right on!
    I don’t have too much to add, but I find that 3 week/2 week taper question kind of interesting.
    I feel that either is absolutely fine…however, I like to do my last true LSD 3 weeks out and a goal simulation run or a half marathon 2 weeks out…that seems to work well for me.

The only question i have for you is…So when are you going to scratch that ultra bug? =)

21. Jill Will Run May 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

How on earth do you find time to train and blog? My husband is a CPA with a public accounting firm and he hardly has time to breathe, especially January-April. But it seems like lately he has several “busy seasons” each year, so I’m intrigued that you can do so much when you are also an accountant! :-) (I’m sure part of it is motivation, and he’s not super-motivated to run/train.)

22. RoadBunner May 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

My two cents on two week tapers: I’ve run my last 4 marathon PR’s off of two week tapers. I really think they work better for me. And generally I’d say that the last 20ish miler I do two weeks out is faster than any previous long run in the cycle (though I am still running slower than goal pace)