Foodie Friday: Fresh & Easy

Foodie Friday is back!  Well for this week at least.

May 889

A couple months ago our area of the East Bay had a couple Fresh & Easy grocery stores open up!  I had been to one once before down at my parents and I was really excited for another option to add to my grocery shopping adventures.  We typically always shopped at Trader Joes, with another stop at Safeway and really rarely went to Whole Foods (it’s a pain to get to), but F&E was in a convenient location so I had my fingers crossed we would like it.

FE
(source)

Exactly what we were looking for.

The prices are reasonable, it has all the food we want (including the options that we went to Trader Joes specifically for), plus it has all the “other” items that Trader Joes didn’t necessarily have (detergent, etc).  In the past we would typically have to make a quick trip to Safeway to get other items that Trader Joes didn’t have, so even though our bill may seem a little higher at F&E, it’s because we are getting everything we need there rather than having to make 2 stops.  The other really nice thing is it has a lot of fresh pre-made quick meals for those days you are short on time and can’t cook.

Our first couple visits went really well.  We figured out which things we liked, discovered some new items and found things to replace some items we relied on before.  It has definitely been a success and we have pretty much been relying on it as where we do all of our grocery shopping ever since.

May 891May 893

It’s your pretty standard grocery store, but one difference is you have to do self checkout, which Chris and I looove.  He does the check out, I do the bagging!

May 685May 688 May 686May 687

Overall we have been able to keep most of our food pretty much the same, but I have made a couple of my new discoveries since shopping at Fresh & Easy that I am now addicted to.

May 603

Rice Works Brown Rice Crisps

LOVE.  I think I like these better than regular chips.  No preservatives, no artificial flavors, no wheat or gluten (if you care about that).  Delicious and crunchy!

May 604

Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels

Yes Trader Joes has these but for some reason these taste better to me.  I think they have a little bit of extra salt or something.  I try to reserve buying these for when I am in peak marathon training because they are so addicting but they keep finding their way into our shopping cart.

May 605

Whole Wheat Pita Bread

Yes other stores have this too, but this one is the BEST (IMO).  Its not dry, slightly chewy and makes delicious pita pizzas.

They have some great vegetable mixes too that I have used a lot for my rice or quinoa bowls.  I wasn’t fast enough to pull out the camera before I cooked those though.  Next time!

So far so good with our new grocery shopping adventures!  I like being able to mix it up and have options with my grocery shopping.  It helps to not get sick of things or when you do get sick of them, you have another place to go!

Have you ever shopped at Fresh & Easy?

Are you loyal to one grocery store or do you shop around?

, ,

15 Responses to Foodie Friday: Fresh & Easy

1. Marlene May 27, 2011 at 11:04 am #

SO jealous! We need a store like that around here. No Whole Foods, no Trader Joes, no Fresh & Easy. :( There are a couple of health food stores but they are mostly full of vitamins, supplements and hocus-pocus stuff (in my opinion), and not a whole lot of actual food – plus, they are waaaay overpriced!

We shop at a typical “big box” grocery store and generally go to the same place because the selection and quality are good, prices are reasonable and they have those “extras” like batteries, toiletries, etc.

I LOVE THOSE RICE CHIPS! We discovered them a couple years ago and they are a night-before-race tradition now. So tasty! I love the “salsa fresca’ flavor and ‘sundried tomato parmesan’ best. Mmmm!

Okay, I’ve blabbed enough about FOOD.

have a great weekend!!!

• Aron May 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

OMG I have been missing out!! LOVE them.

2. Audrey May 27, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Whoa… peanut butter filled pretzels sounds delish!!! I don’t think this will be good that I just discovered they made these… ;)

• Aron May 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Don’t say I didn’t warn you… they are super addicting :)

3. Marisa Olsen May 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

One just opened up in our town (Modesto), too. I really like the idea of it, but unfortunately our store is lacking in the fresh department as far as the produce is concerned. I am not sure why, but that part of it is disappointing. The rest of the store is great!!

4. See Jane Run May 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Now we’re really looking forward to the Fresh & Easy opening by our corporate headquarters in San Francisco!

5. Kamaile May 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

I shop at Whole Foods and get other non-food items at Target. We don’t have Fresh & Easy in Dallas but we are finally getting a Trader Joes later this year. I also love Rice Works (vegan!!) and can eat the whole bag in one sitting. My favorites are the Sweet Chili and Salsa Fresca.

• Aron May 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Chris loves the sweet chili ones. I can definitely eat the whole bag in one sitting if not careful! SO GOOD.

6. Jill Will Run May 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Hmm…. similar favorites as me! I love Fresh & Easy… it’s so (corny but true) EASY! It’s close, convenient, quality and I like bagging my own stuff!

But I still shop around a little… if I see things (like Fage or Chobani) on sale at other stores, I’ll hit those ones too!

7. Connie May 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Wow, jealous! I live in Canada and the only health food/organic store close to us is crazy expensive and very small!

I would love to have those options. I live next door to a “Superstore” and it’s the cheapest of all the grocery stores but their organic selection is very limited.

Those chips look awesome!

8. stoppingfordaisies May 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Love all those delicious foods! I don’t think we have a Fresh & Easy here… I know we don’t have Traders Joe. This makes me sad.

9. Monika May 28, 2011 at 12:59 am #

A F&E opened not too far from my house last year. I love it! So ridiculous though, now I buy groceries every few days and rotate between F&E, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Ralph’s, Target, Costco .. and repeat. I prob hit each of those once in a 2-3 week period. I wish one store had everything I wanted. :oP

10. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef May 28, 2011 at 10:35 am #

I’ve never even heard of this chain but they seem fun! In my town we have two local ‘chain’ natural food grocery stores…but i don’t like either, unfortunately. both are really overpriced. one is very snobby and supposedly a co-op but only in name; the other has alot of expired products. i hope after i finish grad school we can move to a place with good grocery stores! for now we just shop at the usual big stores and when we’re in/driving through areas with trader joe’s or whole foods, stop and stock up on the necessities. :) works for now!

11. Susan - Nurse on the Run May 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Grocery shopping in NYC is a HUGE pain. My neighborhood lacks any sort of Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods (not sure I would shop at WF anyway….so expensive), but the ones we do have are okay although a bit pricey. (So is everything in the city…) The local Gristedes pretty much has everything I’ve ever really looked for, so that’s nice, although the stores are small and don’t necessarily have the variety I remember in HUGE stores. However, I’ve managed okay.

12. amy May 30, 2011 at 8:54 am #