Double Digits

I still remember the very first time I ran 10 miles.

It was such a big deal to me to be in the “double digits” and it was when I knew I really loved running.  Before that day I couldn’t imagine actually running that far and it was a really big obstacle for me to overcome, but the day came, I did it, and I never looked back.

To this day it still is a big deal to me, especially during certain parts of training.  Coming off of marathon recovery and back into training, like I am right now, this is always a big deal for me.  I don’t particularly enjoy recovering after the first week of laziness, and I just want to back to where I was.

I have been doing my best at being a good girl and taking things relatively slowly coming off Boston 2 Big Sur, and as much as I wanted to jump into the double digits last week, I didn’t.  I got up to 9 last weekend and 8 for a midweek run this week and felt really good, so I knew it was time to get into the double digit zone again and I was excited!!

SFMT 035

This morning I met up with the San Francisco Marathon training program like I usually do on Saturday mornings and I planned on doing around 12.  Most of the marathon trainees were doing 16 but I definitely didn’t want to push it that far just yet.  I set out with my 9 – 9:30 pace group and off we went!

SFMT 037

We ran in Danville this week, which is a route I know like the back of my hand.  It’s relatively flat with a slight decline going out and slight incline coming back.  It’s shady at the beginning and exposed in the middle.  We had a great group of 5 of us (2 pacers, 3 trainees) and chatted away for the first 6 until I was ready to turn around.  I had one trainee come back with me and we cruised back and were definitely warm in the sun – looks like the hot runs are going to be starting soon (boo).

SFMT 042

I felt good the whole time and we ended our run right on pace, and I was very happy to be back into double digit land, my most favorite part of running.  I relaxed in the sun waiting for the rest of my friends to finish up their run.

Perfect start to the weekend.

12.0 miles/1:50:00/9:10 avg pace

SFMT 043 SFMT 044

What was(is) your biggest “milestone” to overcome in training?

Besides getting into double digit land, I remember being SO NERVOUS before my first 16 mile run.  Something about that number scared me, but it ended up being my best training run ever for my first marathon.

Happy Saturday!

Don’t forget to comment here or email me any questions you might have!

, ,

18 Responses to Double Digits

1. Shara Jean May 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

yes yes, the first double didget – 10 was my milestone, which was not that long ago – a month?- and I love every one, strength and speed training has my mileage down so not many 10′ers lately but after july im sure I’ll get them again!!!

2. Kristen May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

The double digit milestone was definitely a big one for me too. That and the first time I ran more than 10K… It felt like a pretty big deal :)

3. Emily May 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

I’m working on half marathons right now, so I agree with your post–my first 10 miles was a pretty big deal! I’ve done a handful now since January and I’m slowly getting faster and my body doesn’t feel broken anymore after running that far. That’s my indicator I’m getting stronger–that I’m not hobbling around like an old lady the next day. I really like your blog! I’ve been reading for a bit and decided to stop creeping today :)

4. Jen May 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

I did my first 10 mile run a few weeks ago and it was horrible :( but today i did my first 11 mile run. I had a smile pasted on the whole time and i was fist pumping to my music through the streets. I could NOT believe how good i felt the whole time. THAT is my biggest running milestone so far. :)

5. Courtney May 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

I remember reading somewhere, a few years ago, that one wasn’t really a runner until they ran a double digit run. I’d been running often, several times a week, for almost a year, before I ever hit my 10 digit run. It was incredible, slow and painful. :) Now I’ve conquered 3 half-marathons, and have been taking 1st place in various race distances since, including the Half’s! it’s incredible how we grow as runners. From joggers, to runners. ;) I loved this post.

6. Amanda May 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Running 13+ miles this training cycle was definitely hard for me, I felt like it took forever just to get 12 right and good so how could 13 come before the half.

Now for Marathon training, the teens don’t seem so bad, but that 20 miler….that’s another story. My knees are quaking just thinking about it :)

7. Meg May 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I’m about to do my first ten miler next week, so this is a timely post…but for some reason I’m not worried about it, my longest runs have been the easiest lately and it’s the 3 or 4 milers that are way tougher mentally (??). So far, my biggest milestone was my first 10K race, when that was the farthest I had ever gone…also probably the happiest run of my life!

8. RoadBunner May 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Yay for getting back to double digits. I’m hoping to get back there tomorrow. I’m looking forward to getting back to the point where a 10 mile run is just another run day.

When I first started out, just running a mile straight was a big deal!

9. Marlene May 21, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Congrats on getting back to those double digits!

A big milestone for me was the first time I ran longer than half marathon distance. I remember being on a 21K training run and I ran just 0.1 more than that HM distance just to say I did.

10. Rachel May 21, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

i’m right there with you – trying to allow myself time to recover while also wanting to just get back to where i was pre-race. it’s been a bit frustrating! glad to see you’re getting back into the swing of things!

11. Jolene May 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Its sad that one mile is my elusive milestone. I was a sprinter in school…could do the 100m at Olympic pace…(no seriously but I didn’t know that till later) but I have never.ever.ever been able to run a mile or even a half mile. Started in C25K in ’09 but had to sit out of training due to blood clots in pregnancy…then tore a tendon last year 2 days before the 5K….and this year I’m starting off really slow. So, my elusive goal remains…1 mile!

12. Michelle May 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

The first time I ran 10 miles was huge! I was actually hungover after a night with the girls and still forced myself to run. Hoo-boy was I dehydrated! I made it though — and knew I would able to run a half marathon without any problems!

Yikes, I just realized that I haven’t run more than 7 miles since my last half in April. I have a feeling that’s going to change very soon.

13. Nelly May 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Great post! That would be really exciting to pace runners who are doing the marathon, especially runners doing their first marathon – crossing a new mileage barrier is always exciting.

I think I crossed the 9-10 mile mark on a run like 10 years ago, but I wasn’t focused on any particular race at the time so it didn’t seem like a big deal to me.

Though now that I went through marathon training, any run where you cross a new mileage barrier is awesome. I loved that feeling. Before my first half marathon in 2009 I really had never gone above 10 miles on a run, so anything after 10 was new to me, so that was a special feeling crossing the finish line.

As for training, the main big mileage barriers that stick out in my mind was 18 and 20 miles – it just seemed so far, and it definitely was a struggle to go that far. Then of course running the actual marathon, where anything after 20 was new territory for me. Believing in yourself that you can do it is what its all about. Likely I will never set a new mileage barrier beyond 26.2, because I don’t have much desire to go farther than this, haha

14. lindsay May 22, 2011 at 7:59 am #

i never understand that “back of my hand” phrase. i feel like i don’t know the back of my hand. haha.

15. Stephanie May 22, 2011 at 10:52 am #

I think over coming injuries and running throughh pain can be the hardest part. Sometimes I feel I can go more but then things start to hurt and it goes downhill

16. Ali @ Ali Runs May 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

I remember when I first started training for a marathon, 9 miles was the biggest mileage for me to get over. I had run 8 miles before and so 9 miles was the biggest deal to me.

17. Susan - Nurse on the Run May 24, 2011 at 5:23 am #

I love that you have trainees. :) How fun! I think getting into the mindset that tempo runs aren’t the hardest thing ever is my biggest milestone in training. I still struggle with it, but the feeling after an awesome tempo run can’t be beat!

1. The Donut Run | runner's rambles - May 22, 2011

[...] too!  Most of the group was going at least 10 miles, but since I did my long run for the week yesterday, I only planned on doing 6 easy miles.  I was excited to be able to hang out after and run [...]