Back on the Healthy Train

After three weeks a week of post marathon indulgence I was very ready to get back into healthy mode this week.  As much fun as it is to indulge in all my favorite foods and things I don’t typically eat, it does get old and I can definitely feel it in my body and energy.

2011 Boston Marathon 192 2011 Boston Marathon 010

DSC_0052 DSC_0061

I definitely still indulge during training and normal life, just not all day every day like I had been since the marathons.  Everything in moderation!

I started this week feeling gross and knew it was time to get back into healthy mode!

Operation Get Back on the Healthy Train:

Fill the fridge with lots of colorful vegetables…

May 333

and lots of healthy greens!

May 336

Fill the fruit bowl with yummy fruit.

May 339

Plan ahead and make healthy grains in the rice cooker to have throughout the week with all those vegetables.

May 337

Hard boil eggs to make my lunch time salads extra yummy.

What’s left of them…
May 334 May 343

Start cooking myself dinner again!

May 338 May 340

Couple healthy food with a little bit of running and by today I am feeling so much better than when I started the week.

I do get burned out on eating healthy all the time so those short periods of indulgence just make all those healthy foods sound good again!

How do you get back into healthy mode?  Do you go through periods where you slack on healthy eating?

18 Responses to Back on the Healthy Train

1. Molly May 13, 2011 at 6:59 am #

I feel ya! I absolutely get off track sometimes and I have noticed how quickly my body can get hooked on and crave the processed stuff when I’m not careful. I totally agree with what you said about getting burnt out on them and actually having the healthy stuff to look forward to. I think that having that appreciation & love for healthy food makes it safe to deviate once in awhile. You know you’ll be coming back eventually :)

I am new to the blog world & just wanted to say I have really enjoyed browsing your blog! I’m so excited that I’ve found a community of people living the way I do :) Enjoy your day!

2. Kim May 13, 2011 at 7:21 am #

I completely agree with getting burnt out on being healthy 100% of the time! It’s definitely hard to maintain, and I do try to find a way to work in a few small treats every once in awhile :) I definitely know where you’re coming from, because after marathon recovery I always sort of let myself give in to (almost) whatever I want, and I feel like my body does go into freak out mode a bit! Your meals look delicious, I hope this means Foodie Friday is coming back!!

3. Marlene May 13, 2011 at 7:38 am #

While I am soooo looking forward to some post-marathon indulgence, I know that feeling when you are just ready to clean up the act again. Junk food makes me feel sooo horrible when I overdo it. Good for you getting back on the healthy train! Everything looks yummy but I don’t plan to eat quinoa or brussels sprouts again for a little while… LOL!

4. Michelle May 13, 2011 at 7:47 am #

But the unhealthy food looks so good! Ok, maybe just the beer and the french fries :)

Glad you are back on the healthy eating train – I know how that feels. It really does feel so good to just “detox.”

Happy weekend!

5. Jesse May 13, 2011 at 8:22 am #

yum, beer! i love beer. and fries too :)
    i totally agree in all things in moderation but sometimes when i get off track its really hard for me to cut back on the junk/sweets and get back on the healthy eating train. when i’m not eating healthy i can feel it in my energy too.

6. Kelly May 13, 2011 at 9:03 am #

your plan sounds good! I usually like to indulge after a big race (pizza, burgers, fries, beer mmmm), but then get back on track pretty quickly. Just going into Whole Foods with all the beautiful colors of produce is enough to inspire me (but I’m also a nutrition dork…) :)

7. Madison May 13, 2011 at 9:12 am #

It doesn’t take long for me to realize that I need to get back on track. I immediately feel it right after I eat a big heavy or greasy meal. I always almost eat something healthier the very next meal. Love the sight of all those beautiful produce.

8. Sesa May 13, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I generally eat healthy for most of the week. It isn’t very hard for me — I’m a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I’ll eat whole wheat instead of white breads, make sure I get at least one big salad per day and eat fruit for snacks. I graze on candy from my coworkers’ workstations — they call me the scavenger now — but I’m not really concerned about it. My energy levels are good and I can still run, so I’m not going to curb my candy addiction any time soon. :)

When I’m out with friends and family I’ll eat “bad” foods. I only socialize 1-3 times a week, so I figure I’m still eating better than most people. And I would hate being the one out of all of my friends picking at a salad … I work so hard, I should eat whatever I want!

9. Jessica B. May 13, 2011 at 9:41 am #

I have times where I slack, usually its because I get to busy and am tired and going to pick something up just works better. It doesn’t take much for me to snap out of it and get back to healthy eating. Usually I let myself have that 1 think I really want and then eat everything else healthy.

10. Runner26 May 13, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Great ideas for getting back to healthy eating mode! I’m in about the same place. After 9 months of pregnancy where I didn’t want to eat anything, I now have my appetite back. So I’m doing my best to eat healthy food and a good variety. Veggies and fruits are in high demand, but I agree that it’s exhausting to eat fresh all the time! Gotta make room for the occasional indulgences ;)

11. Michelle May 13, 2011 at 10:29 am #

So funny you posted this today because just last night I was thinking to myself, “OK…it has been two weeks since the marathon. I’m running already again, but I’ve been indulging in other areas! Time to get serious! I’m giving myself until the end of May before I start throwing in long runs, but my diet is changing as of last night during that thought! :)

12. Angela @ MyPinkyToes May 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I find it so much easier to eat healthier when I am consistent with my workouts…if I tend to slack in my workouts, I tend to slack in my eating, too! I don’t know why, and you’d think the opposite would be true!
    I think when I workout, my thought is that I need to eat to fuel myself!

13. Corey @ the runners cookie May 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Pretty much the same as you, when I notice I’m not feeling as great as I could be, I try to look at what I’ve been eating and stock the fridge with fruits and veggies, and take the time to make lunch and dinner. It feels good to get back to it after a little break!

14. Karyn May 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

i think that having those post-marathon indulgent week(s) makes me love the healthy stuff even more. enjoyable to eat. i typically only go through “junk food modes” right after races. but over a short amount of time after that my body just wants healthier stuff and it just feels right to cut back on the 100% pure sugar/grease foods.

15. stoppingfordaisies May 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

I need to do that! Definitely! I’ve decided after school is out (cuz my students keep bringing me treats) I’m gonna cut out sugar as much as I can and start eating healthy again.

16. Rachel May 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

i completely agree! after a race i indulge for a few days or a week, and then my body just starts craving healthier stuff, too. all the fruits and veg you have looks so good right now!

17. Tia May 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Looks like you are all set! Love all those colorful veggies! I ALWAYS feel better about myself when I am eating right. It’s just so easy to “fall off the wagon” on weekends…

18. Jess May 15, 2011 at 10:29 am #

I think it’s a good idea to take a break from being healthy if you’re really good all the time. It’s hard to get back into healthy eating though. That’s kind of why I set some public nutrition goals last week. If I’m accountable I do much better.