Taming the Tantrums

Taper tantrums be gone!  Here’s how I get rid of them…

I pack.

Packing eases some anxiety – don’t ask me why.
blog 045 IMG_1919

I laugh at the obscurity of the 15 day forecast.

Tuesday’s forecast vs. Wednesday’s vs. today’s – hah.  Or why you should never believe a 15 day forecast!
blog 043blog 044blog 050

I run.

Duh.  Just not as much.
SFMT 020

I rest.

iPhone 547

I plan.

Boston Red Sox game, blogger meet ups, marathon expo, FOOD – so much fun!
blog 051

I read.

blog 049

I relax.

Massage scheduled for today!

I remind myself of all I DID do.

I did a lot!
blog 041

I blog.

Of course.
blog 048

I get excited.  Very excited.

blog 047

We leave one week from tonight!  Hopefully I don’t burst with excitement before then.

35 Responses to Taming the Tantrums

1. Marlene April 7, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Oooh I love your little social media icons at the bottom of the post. Is that new? Cute!!!

Glad you are finding ways to tame the tantrums. The wait is almost over!

• Aron April 7, 2011 at 8:40 am #

Yes they are new!! Another way to tame tantrums – find cool stuff to add to the blog ;)

2. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef April 7, 2011 at 7:10 am #

yayay! almost there!!!

3. Joanne April 7, 2011 at 7:33 am #

We’re driving in but won’t get there untl later on Saturday. Believe it or not, it’s the food that keeps me away until the last minute. I want to stick with the old “tried and true” as close to race day as I can. Plus – we get to cram more stuff in a car than in baggage for the plane.

Prob. won’t get to meet any bloggers :( unless of course I recognize those “running faces” in Athletes Village. I’m excited and scared – thinking scared is trumping the excitement at the moment.

4. Page April 7, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Hahahaha, I like that line in the book, “Avoid having major deadlines at work.” Can I tell my boss to stop with the deadlines already? HELLO!?!?! Just tell the client I refuse. ;)

5. Kristen April 7, 2011 at 7:59 am #

My favourite part of trip planning is food planning :) (there’s a trader joe’s not far from the expo by the way)

Enjoy the massage and try not to burst too much- you’ll need that energy!

6. Heather April 7, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Don’t look at the Boston weather forecast. It will change every day – don’t start looking until mid next week.

I ran outside two days ago in a short sleeved shirt and pants. Today I had to wear a hat, gloves, and jacket.

Weather is so unpredictable in MA!

• Aron April 7, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Hah yah it seems that way! I am using it as an entertainment factor and just bringing options to decide right before race day :)

7. Christine April 7, 2011 at 8:31 am #

so so excited for you, Aron!!!! please make sure to give us your bib# and info so that we can track you on the 18th! 15-day weather report? love it.
    xoxox

8. Britt April 7, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I’m so excited for you! You’re going to rock Boston!
    I’m about to run my 1st marathon on Sunday and all of your taper related posts have been super helpful! Thanks for writing all of them!

9. J April 7, 2011 at 8:58 am #

I am so excited for you Aron!! The race is so close! Hopefully you can get through the next week!

10. Kelly April 7, 2011 at 9:46 am #

haha, taper tantrum! I love that! And I love that you have a Boston folder – you are going to have so much fun and kick some boston ass :)

11. Shelly April 7, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Great plan of overcoming those tantrums.

I love that “..wash your hands…” in the book. That one always cracks me up!

All the fun and meetups has me wishing for a big race…I just don’t love the road anymore.

12. Emily April 7, 2011 at 10:20 am #

you are adorable. i vote for the warmer temps! (though i know you probably want it 50 and cloudy, you running freak!)

I CAN’T WAIT.

I am going to DIE of excitement being in boston this weekend. DIE.

13. Jesse April 7, 2011 at 10:27 am #

i’m so very excited for you! you are going to ROCK boston!!!

14. Shortskirts April 7, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Sounds like you are ready to go. I love your dogs they are so cute. Snuggling with them would calm me down too

15. Kim April 7, 2011 at 10:33 am #

You are almost there Aron!! So excited for you :) PS Love the sleepy pup pics, so adorable :)

16. Gabby April 7, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Hi Aron!

I’ve been following your blog for some time now(first comment) and I’m learning so much more about running from you.

Good Luck in Boston! I have a feeling you are going to do GREAT!!

I recently starting going to Lulu’s running club, next time I’ll say “hi”.

Enjoy the race and your trip to Boston,

17. Jamie aka heatrunner April 7, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Love this post! I’m so excited you are going to Boston!!! I can’t wait to hear about it!!!

18. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad April 7, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Love the first bullet about avoiding major deadlines at work. Should I tell my employer to NOT stress me out for the next 3 weeks?! If only we could!

19. Teacherwoman April 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Reading this made me excited! How wonderful!

20. Nelly April 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

a 15 day weather forecast? I didn’t know one even existed! haha It’s like my Dad always told me – “Don’t worry about what you can’t control” easier said than done though!

And I could be wrong, but that looks like a passage from Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning book, haha

21. Michaela April 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Where are you going for food? I hear Wagamama is great for ramen!

22. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Ooh, love this title! Taming the taper tantrums is never easy. I always feel like I’m thinking marathon 24/7 and am sure I’m going to twist my ankle or get sick at the last moment. Luckily, that hasn’t ever actually happened.

23. Renae April 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Love the dogs resting! If only I could fully relax like that! Good luck in Boston!! WOOT!

24. Lauren April 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

haha, yes, Boston weather is crazy! It’ll snow one week and be 60s and sunny the next. There’s no sense to it! Keeping my fingers crossed that you’ll have nice weather on Marathon Monday!!

Good luck keeping those taper tantrums at bay!! No matter how many marathons I run, it seems I can never keep myself completely sane during the taper. But maybe that’s part of what helps you do well during the marathon… :)

25. Corey @ the runners cookie April 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Love that you have a folder titled “Boston”!!! Totally laughed out loud at the weather thing – I was obsessing in a very irrational way today, thinking how awful it would be if it’s 80 degrees, hehe. I hope I get to meet you at at least one of the events that weekend :)

26. Karyn April 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

WE ARE SO CLOSE! eeeeeeeep. i like to pack to ease anxiety too. so that’s what i’m doing too :)

27. Candice April 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

I am SO excited for you. You have been inspiring me since I discovered the running-blogging world. I can’t wait for this part of your journey!

28. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 8, 2011 at 2:03 am #

I hope the weather is the first one…that’s some awesome marathoning (and spectating!) weather!

29. Kristin April 8, 2011 at 4:39 am #

I hope the second one with highs in the 70s is not right! I pray for 50 degrees and cloudy. Or sunny but not hot! (Then warm the rest of the week would be nice for my trip to Maine. I’m not asking much, I know.)

• Aron April 8, 2011 at 9:04 am #

I pray for that too!!!! I will cry if its 70 :(

30. onelittletrigirl April 8, 2011 at 5:32 am #

I am so excited!!!

Ps- Even though I am a Phillies fan, there is NO better place to see a game than Fenway Park.

31. Jo Lynn April 8, 2011 at 8:22 am #

You have a file folder for Boston? Tee hee. That made me giggle. ;)

1. Boston Training: Week 15 | runner's rambles - April 10, 2011

[...] this week after another week of taper, which is always nice.  I tried to keep sane, keep the taper tantrums away, and have just been generally excited – it’s getting [...]