Number Ten

I can’t believe I am actually going to be at the start line of my TENTH marathon this weekend.  I still remember being at the start line of my very first marathon like it was yesterday, it’s hard to believe I have actually finished 9!

Each marathon I run I always learn something new, so here are my 9 lessons from the 9 marathons I have run so far…

#1 San Francisco Marathon

I learned that I could run 26.2+ miles.  And a tough 26.2+ miles!

aron

#2 California International Marathon

I learned that marathons were definitely were hard and BQing was going to be harder.

#3 Eugene Marathon

I learned that we all have bad days and on those bad days we learn more about our self determination than any other day.

eugene

#4 San Diego Marathon

I learned not running for yourself can be more rewarding than running for yourself.

SDRnR 11

#5 Cowtown Marathon

I learned when your heart isn’t into a race, your body won’t be either.

2009 306

#6 California International Marathon

I learned that when you want something bad enough and work hard enough, it will happen.

untitled

#7 Big Sur Marathon

I learned that even when things are amazingly beautiful, marathons still hurt.

709220-7509-0027

#8 California International Marathon

I learned to never ever overdress for a marathon.

CIM 220a

#9 Boston Marathon

I learned that some marathons are 100% more about the taking in the experience than the number on the clock.

713479-3112-0041s

#10 Big Sur Marathon

We will find out the lesson in 2 short days – lets hope it’s a good lesson!

2 days to go!

33 Responses to Number Ten

1. Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 29, 2011 at 7:54 am #

You will do amazing this weekend! Good luck to you!
    You really are an amazing running inspiration. It’s easy to see your love for running in EVERY post, even if you’re having a bad day. I know I don’t comment all the time, but your posts are my go-to posts when I’m in need of serious inspiration. So thank you. :-)

2. Shannon April 29, 2011 at 8:00 am #

That is a great way to look at marathons. Sometimes they aren’t the best but we can still learn something even if something doesn’t go our way

3. Marlene April 29, 2011 at 8:03 am #

Awesome idea for a post and I love your lessons learned, especially # 6. :)

Good luck on number 10!

4. LeeAnn April 29, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Good luck on number 10!!

5. monica April 29, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Thank you for sharing this! I am running my first marathon on Sunday at the Avenue of the Giants…..I am starting to get really nervous for it but trying to remind myself it’s just a run and I just want to finish! Good luck at your 10th!

6. Debbie April 29, 2011 at 8:29 am #

GOOD LUCK!! I am doing number ONE on Sunday and am quite nervous, so reading about all of yours is quite an inspiration! Enjoy your blog!

7. Corey @ the runners cookie April 29, 2011 at 8:30 am #

10 marathons is a huge milestone!! Make sure you celebrate that and really give yourself an extra pat on the back! Every race definitely teaches you a lesson, and I love to think of races that way as opposed to “what time did I get?” or “why didn’t I PR?” Every race gives you something to take away, and I can’t wait to see what #10 brings you!

8. the dawn April 29, 2011 at 9:11 am #

i love the lessons!

and what i also love is that the moment you cross a finish line the story seems bigger than life, with all the twists, turns, and details. but through time all of the moments start to melt together and eventually you can sum up the day in a one liner. made me think of the lessons that i’ve learned through my marathons….

good luck this weekend! enjoy the views and take lots of pictures :)

9. Petra April 29, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Have LOVED catching up on all your Boston reports – you did GREAT out there – and I can’t believe you’re doing this this weekend – I’m SO far away from doing another marathon, am in fact home ill – you’re incredible Aron. Inspirational!

10. Chris @ Evolving Through Running April 29, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Marathon #10 – very impressive!

All great lessons. I especially like #7. Best of luck this weekend. Amazing turnaround time after just doing Boston.

11. Lacey April 29, 2011 at 9:39 am #

loved the list aron!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow #10. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking forward to the lesson :)

12. katie April 29, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Oh, what an awesome list! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

13. Amanda April 29, 2011 at 9:53 am #

I hope you have a blast! Go #10!!

14. Jesse April 29, 2011 at 9:55 am #

good luck this weekend at big sur! have sooo much fun :)

15. Emily April 29, 2011 at 10:05 am #

i LOVED reading these! good luck this weekend lady! I hope your lesson is that number 10 is the best one yet!

16. Michelle April 29, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Double digits!!!

Good luck this weekend :) I hope you have an awesome run — and enjoy the beautiful course!

17. Shortskirts April 29, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Good luck this weekend Aron!

18. Christine April 29, 2011 at 11:06 am #

awww i love this! GOOD LUCK ARON!!!! xoxox

19. Tia April 29, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Yeah for #10!! Good luck this weekend! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog the past few weeks!

20. Karyn April 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

i just learned your #5 marathon lesson! best of luck this weekend you crazy girl ;)

21. hurdlingham April 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

what a great idea! and SO true about the lessons! i think i am going to go read all of your marathon reports while i’m procrastinating from studying this weekend :) have a blast at big sur!!

22. Ari April 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks for linking to all those marathons, they were very interesting to read. Best of luck with this 10th one!

23. Nelly April 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

I love the summary and pics of all your marathons! Good luck at Big Sur on Sunday!

I didn’t have a chance to respond to your post yesterday about Chris becoming a firefighter – that is very admirable for him. You always want to try to do something that you love, that is great that he is following his dream.

And especially in the environment we are in in terms of California’s budget – our state is completely idiot. We always seem to have a $20-30 billion deficit every year, and this year will be the worst I think. The politicians have nowhere to go except to cut spending or our state will literally go bankrupt. I love this state and will likely live here all my life, but I wish our politicians could get a clue about budgeting for once, haha

And the first thing I thought of on your post yesterday was Sugarland singing Settlin =)

24. g. April 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

I just wanted to say, I loved this post. Congrats, have fun.

~savor the run~

25. Heather April 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Great post! I love that you look at all your marathons as a learning experience.

Good luck on marathon #10!

26. Mica April 30, 2011 at 3:37 am #

Good luck, this weekend, Aron! Let’s hope 10′s a charm!

27. Beth April 30, 2011 at 5:51 am #

Wow, 10 marathons! Have a great time at Big Sur!

28. Lauren April 30, 2011 at 6:21 am #

You are amazing!! 10 marathons is such a huge milestone! And I love how you’ve presented a different lesson from each one – I definitely feel like I learn more with each race. I hope #10 is an incredible experience! Good luck tomorrow!!

29. Steel Springs April 30, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Good luck with number 10! Have a great time!

30. Little Miss Runshine May 1, 2011 at 5:26 am #

Good luck!!! 10 is so impressive! I’m only on 4! Someday I hope I have 10!!

31. Little Miss Runshine May 1, 2011 at 5:27 am #

PS it is so crazy you are running so close to Boston! You are such a seasoned runner! :)
    I want to be that strong of a runner too!

32. household shifting services in delhi June 16, 2014 at 11:35 am #

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact bought me lunch simply because I stumbled
    upon it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending time to talk about this topic here on your web page.

1. How can I put a plus sign in front of a number? | game for girls - April 29, 2011

[...] Number Ten | runner's rambles [...]