Not Settling

I don’t talk too much about certain big things going on in my personal life, well just because not everything belongs on the blog, but now that things are becoming more real and it’s kind of a big deal for us, I thought I would share what has been going on in our house over the last 9 months!

2010 SVIT 038

You may (or may not) have noticed that ever since Chris’s half ironman back in July I stopped talking about his training or spectating his races because there haven’t been any.

And for good reason.

Last fall, after a very long time of being miserable in his current job, Chris decided to make a change.  He talked to many of his friends and searched around looking for the answer because he knew he could not keep doing what he was doing for the rest of his life (Construction Management).  He was miserable and stressed and just plain unhappy.  After searching around one thing really jumped out at him, he researched it, talked to people, did ride alongs, and it just clicked.  He knew what he wanted to do – he wanted to be a firefighter.

Now is not really a fantastic time in California to be pursuing such a change (or to be pursuing anything in this messed up state), but he is doing everything in his power to make this dream a reality and set himself up for success.

So last fall he set the ball in motion.  He started taking night classes a couple nights a week after his full time job.  Then for 10 weeks from October – December he was taking an EMT class 8 hours a day on Saturday AND Sunday.  This meant he had no days off and often no evenings off.  He was busy to say the least.

He finished EMT school and became a certified EMT, then started more night fire classes this spring.  He researched Paramedic programs and just was accepted and committed to one beginning in June.

All this while still working 40+ hours a week at a job he hated.

We both knew he couldn’t last much longer doing what he was doing, so he started applying different places and finally one worked out.  He interviewed and was hired as an EMT for a local company and is starting his new job today.  His last day at his old job was the day we left for Boston.

Celebrating at the airport!
2011 Boston Marathon 008

This is requiring some big sacrifices on both of our parts, but in the long run it is going to be 100% worth it.  Times are going to be tight for a little while, but watching Chris get to pursue his dream and find a career that truly makes him happy makes me so happy.

Chris is a person who doesn’t settle for anything, and although sometimes it’s hard for me to grasp, I truly admire him for that quality.  I would have a really hard time putting my life on hold, not training for races and committing all my free time to school and studying, all while working full time.

But if it’s something you want bad enough, it’s always worth it.

2011 Boston Marathon 021.1

When it comes to careers or training for races or anything in life, we all have to make sacrifices and work hard to get what we want.  Things that are worth having are always worth working hard for and Chris is a true example of this.

It won’t be long now and he will be back out there demolishing the triathlon and running scene again, but for now, he isn’t settling and is making his dreams a reality and I couldn’t be prouder.

Congrats Chris and good luck at your first day!

52 Responses to Not Settling

1. Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal April 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

So inspiring!! I truly believe in following your dreams both work related and non work related. You only get one life, why not make the work you do something you love. I’m sure it was scary for both of you to make this leap of faith but it will pay off in the long run!!! Congrats to you and your hubby :)

The other day I told my son Miles that one of my girlfriends husbands was a firefighter and he turned to my husband and said – when you grow up daddy can you please be a firefighter. Just think one day if you have a son he will look up to his daddy and what he does :)

2. Cheree April 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

Congratulations & good luck, Chris!

3. Tim Woodbury April 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Boy, do I understand this one. We’re in the same spot right now, with my DW changing fields.

It’s a difficult decision to make. Kudos to you and Chris for taking the plunge. You make your own happiness in this life. Good for you both for taking steps to get there!

4. danica April 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

<3 you guys! :)

5. Karyn April 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

congrats! it’s so exciting, scary and above all BRAVE to make a switch like that.

6. alex April 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

amazing story– so inspiring and just what I needed to read! i need your husband’s courage right now. and maybe a kick in the pants…

7. Fawn (milanorunner) April 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

That is wonderful! I am about to go back to school and make a career change myself. Thanks for the inspiration and story.

8. Allison April 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Wow, congratulations to Chris! I’m always impressed by people who make complete career changes in order to pursue something they really enjoy.

9. jamie April 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

I am so proud of him! That is what the true american dream is all about, i think. Dropping everything and do what you really want to do with your life. That is absolutely amazing!

10. Tonia April 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Congrats to Chris! So exciting.

We’re in a similar situation right now. Causing lots of stress, but in the end it will be worth it! Best of luck to both of you!

11. Lynette April 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

We, too, are SO proud of Chris (and you for encouraging him to do it)! We know it won’t be easy, but it will be so worth it! Love you guys and who you have become!

12. Shutupandrun April 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

That is incredible, really happy for him. There is nothing like finding out what you really want to do and pursuing it. The sacrifices can be difficult, but you know all along on the journey it will be worth it. My husband is currently out of a job and is really trying to fine tune what he wants to do after hating his job for the past 12 years. I know he will figure it out and I couldn’t be happier for him about his journey.

13. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair April 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Awww I love this Aron. What a great post. Congrats to Chris! I think it’s so great he’s pursuing his dream and that he has YOU to stand by him through it all!

14. Beth April 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Good for him! Life is way to long to do something you hate for 30-40+ years. I hope he really enjoys his new work. I’m sure you will work together to make sure the transition goes smoothly. congrats!

15. Alyssa April 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

This is a cute post and I’m happy for him! I know he reads your blog & I hope he reads your comments:

CONGRATS, CHRIS! It takes a lot of courage to pursue a awesome dream like this — lucky that you found it! :) Best to you!

16. Running Girl April 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

Following your dreams is totally inspiring. Congratulations to him that all of his hard work is paying off!

17. Marlene April 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Oh wow, GO CHRIS! That is fantastic. I am admittedly settling, but my job is “cooshie” and gives me the flexibility to train like I want to, take time off to run and race, etc. I do not have the nerve – at least right now – to make a change like that, so I am truly in awe!

Congratulations and best of luck to both of you. Super exciting!!!

18. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

Aw, that’s so exciting and such a nice post for you to put up. I’m ready to go back to school for something and I know the manfriend will be supportive, but financially, it would be tough. I guess that’s what student loans are for. :) Cheers to heading toward your dreams!

19. jamie April 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Congrats to Chris on finding what really made him happy and doing something about it! I have definitely settled and been looking to find the change that will make me happier so I find inspiration in this story. Good luck to you both!

20. Shannon April 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Congrats to him for finding a job! I wish you both the best through this transition :)

21. The Laminator April 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Congrats to Chris for pursuing his passion and his dream!
    That’s definitely something to be proud of and admire.

22. Amanda - RunToTheFinish April 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

very, very awesome!! kudos to you both for having the courage

23. Ana-Maria April 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

I see so many people settling for a job they hate. It is such a pity. We spend more than 50% of our free time at work, so we better like at least part of it. Congrats to Chris for chasing his dream now when the time is right and you don’t have kids yet. There will be time for racing and triathlon. His determination speaks of his character. You married a good one:)

24. Ari April 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

that is really cool that he’s going for it… good luck to him!

25. Corey @ the runners cookie April 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

I think it’s amazing that Chris decided to risk so much and work so hard to really follow his heart and find something that he loves to do. It’s brave and very admirable! And I’m sure it required a huge amount of support, understanding, and sacrifice on your part – you are an awesome wife :) So many people stay in their jobs for years and years and are unhappy, and I don’t know how they do it. I would much rather make less money but do something I loved – I don’t think I’d be a very happy or pleasant person otherwise! Congrats to you guys for an exciting new beginning!

26. Shortskirts April 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

thats so awesome congrats!!

Having a job you love is so important you spend at least a 1/3 of your day doing it! I can sympathize I knew i wanted to work in the games industry and threw myself headlong at getting myself there during college, and the first few years after college. It required hard work and a lot of focus, it took time away from athletics and training, but now that i’m there it was totally worth it.

27. Kerri April 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

I’m also in Construction Management and can totally relate to how life-sucking and stressful it can be. Good for him for chasing what he wants! I feel like I’ve been putting my dreams on hold until it was a better time, but this is inspiration for taking control of my life now.

Thanks :)

28. Adrienne April 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Love this post Aron- Chris is an inspiration to those complacent in our jobs!

29. Michelle April 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

I’ve been in your shoes and it’s not easy sitting back and saying “do what you need to do”, but it’s awesome when it works out! Congrats to Chris and high five to you for being an awesome wife :)

30. onelittletrigirl April 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

You and Chris work as well as you do in part to your amazing support of one another. You are both very lucky to have each other!

31. Little Miss Runshine April 29, 2011 at 5:30 am #

This IS inspiring!
    I’m so glad you shared.

Sometimes we do have to make sacrifices. My boyfriend is going for his PhD and it he doesn’t make much money at school, but we know that if he loves his work its definitely worth it.

Soooo If you are going to be in the Boston rea, we should have a blogger meet up with people!! :) AND if you are looking for a running club….check out mine!!! :)

32. Lindsay April 29, 2011 at 5:41 am #

Too cool!! Go Chris!!

33. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 29, 2011 at 6:11 am #

Having worked at a job that makes me absolutely miserable (and still not being sure about my career path), I think it’s really awesome that he’s pursuing something that he thinks he’ll love. Life is short and you can’t be doing something 40 hours per week that you can’t stand! Best of luck to Chris (and you!), and I can’t ever imagine being a firefighter. (Burn unit will do that to you, I suppose…)

34. the dawn April 29, 2011 at 6:38 am #

that’s so awesome!!!! congratulations chris!!! and way to remind us all that settling is never worth it. its so important to find a passion, follow that path, and seek out happiness rather than scowl our way through things that we hate.

35. Debbie April 29, 2011 at 7:17 am #

How great to follow your dreams. Congrats to both of you. Your whole family will benefit, enjoying what you do is HUGE!! Good Luck Chris!

36. Bethany April 29, 2011 at 7:42 am #

Hi Aron, okay, first off, when my eyes first hit this page the FIRST thing i saw was “9 months!!!!!!” LOL, so you can imagine what I immediately thought!

Wow, this is SO exciting! What a WONDERFUL career move! I think being a firefighter is so heroic. That’s wonderful! Congratulations to you both!!!!!!!! And best of luck to Chris!!!

37. Kim April 29, 2011 at 7:58 am #

Congratulations to Chris (and to you too Aron!) Leaving a job for something that you are passionate about, but might not be as stable is such a hard decision. I really respect him for making it work while still working at a job that he hated so much! I definitely know what it’s like to dread work and feel like every second of the work day is a grind. I used to feel this pit of despair and hatred for how dysfunctional my last job and boss were, and when I left I felt free. My life changed 100% for the better. I hope Chris feels the same way. Some people can deal with the day to day grind and go on autopilot, but I think runners won’t settle and need to be challenged and fulfilled on multiple different levels. I’m sure the road ahead will not be the easiest, as you have said that you’ve needed to make sacrifices, but it will all be worth it to you both as a family. Good luck & congrats!

38. April April 29, 2011 at 8:27 am #

This is just so awesome to hear! There is nothing better than having a husband who loves his job… I promise!! I am so excited for you guys and this new adventure.

39. Emily April 29, 2011 at 9:09 am #

awwww such a sweet and inspiring story! you must be SO proud of him. good luck and congrats to Chris!

40. Amanda April 29, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Congrats to your hubby! It is so much more worth it when your work and life align in a way that make overall life harmonious and joyful.

41. LindaV1959 April 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

OK. I saw 9 months, and I thought baby. Wow.

Congrats on the change though!!! :)

42. d.a.r. April 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

That is so fantastic!!!

43. Mica April 30, 2011 at 3:37 am #

Wow, good for Chris! That takes a lot of dedication and bravery–bravo!!

44. Steel Springs April 30, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Congratulations and best wishes to Chris!

45. Raquel May 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

I am new to your blog, and have spent the past 20 minutes or so reading your story and some of your posts. I just wanted to say that you’re inspirational. Congratulations to Chris for having the courage and tenacity to pursue a career change and a dream! Best of luck to both of you during this transition!

46. Petra May 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

congratulations Aron! Or Chris – or you both! We did something very similar at about the same age – Adam stepped off the corporate ladded which made him very unhappy and we retrenched to the countryside. It was no bed of roses financially but it has worked out in the long term and he is so happy now – I am thrilled we made the decision and so you will you. You spend too much time at work to be unhappy at it.

47. denise May 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

very…cool. it takes guts and a supporting partner to be able to do that. i’m happy for you both and wish chris tons of success!

48. Jo Lynn May 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Oh my gosh, because he wasn’t “hot” enough already? :)

1. Friday Favorites & What Do You Want to Know? | runner's rambles - May 20, 2011

[...] week he was still “in training”) and seeing his drastic mood improvement since starting his new job.  He wouldn’t let me take a full on picture, but I did sneak this one.  I will get [...]

2. Hitting the Books | runner's rambles - June 7, 2011

[...] finished the last of his fire classes a couple weeks ago, but now our table is being covered with Paramedic books since those classes [...]

3. Three-Zero | runner's rambles - July 14, 2011

[...] was a big year for him where he has made some huge changes to make sure he doesn’t settle in a career that wasn’t fulfilling to him.  The hard work is [...]

4. Worth It | runner's rambles - June 25, 2012

[...] April I wrote about Chris taking a big leap of faith by quitting a job he was miserable in to pursue what he hoped to be an eventual career as a [...]