My Running Room

A couple of years ago I quit the gym since I never went anymore and the money being spent on the membership was just going to waste.  Chris and I invested in a couple of key basics for a home gym and decided to turn one of our extra bedrooms into a home gym.

Oh look my long lost road bike is there!
Blog 119

Although the idea behind a home gym is great, to be honest it doesn’t get used that much.  I really need to make more of an effort to get my beloved weight training in, because I really do love it, but it just doesn’t seem to happen once my mileage picks up.  It will never stop being a goal of mine though and one of these training cycles I WILL incorporate a weight routine that I stick to, mark my words.  Maybe this next one?

Anyways.

Since this room doesn’t get used for weights as much as it should it pretty much has taken on the designation of my blogging room and my running room since it houses all of my running paraphernalia and the computer I do most of my blogging on.  It’s also full of fun stuff to giveaway!

Since running is such a huge part of my life, I love that I can have a room in my house to display all of my running stuff proudly.

Bib displays
Blog 101

Blog 114

Medals!
Blog 102

The wall of running and blogging central
Blog 118

My BQ race
Blog 104

And the very new addition I just added to the running room…

The Boston shrine.

I just finished it up last night, it was pretty easy!  I wanted a spot to put all of my favorite Boston stuff that I saved and this worked out perfectly.  Yes the background is my space sheet from after the race.

Blog 108

Blog 109 Blog 110

Kylie wanted to be in this post also.

Blog 117

Do you have a place where you display all your running medals, bibs, etc?

Or am I the only crazy one that does this?

, ,

58 Responses to My Running Room

1. Marlene April 26, 2011 at 8:13 am #

I love it – especially the latest addition! Looks like the room is being put to good use, even if you’re not actually working out in there very much. I need a room like this one day! At least we finally have our medals displayed, but the bibs are still in shoe boxes and there is sooo much more fun stuff I would love to display!

2. Amy April 26, 2011 at 8:14 am #

thats awesome! I love the bib displays and medals all over! i actually did a similar thing with my bibs/medals. i dont have quite as many as you so it doesnt look as cool haha. but im hoping to add boston to my wall next year!!! congrats on all the races! you should be SO proud!

3. Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 26, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Oh, heck yes! I have all my medals on a nice rack that I ordered online in my home gym. I haven’t kept ALL my bibs, but I do still have a lot of them – but not displayed. Now I’m thinking I need to change that!

Our gym goes unused a lot too. My husband even made a comment recently that he’s glad that I use it more than he does because he took so much time to set up the weights, treadmill, TV, sound system, etc that he’s bummed he hasn’t taken advantage of it more.

4. Todd Shipman April 26, 2011 at 8:24 am #

i love how you do all the collages with them, i have all my medals in the hallway, i keep all my bib’s, and just write down all the race details on them…but have never displayed them. I did recently run into this option that i think is really cool for displaying medals!!!

5. Jen April 26, 2011 at 8:28 am #

That’s actually a really good idea for your bibs and medals!

6. Page April 26, 2011 at 8:30 am #

LOVE IT! I’m totally stealing your framing of all the bibs idea. Thanks for sharing!

7. Corey @ the runners cookie April 26, 2011 at 8:31 am #

That’s an awesome display! I have a couple of race pictures frames and medals hanging, but nothing major. Maybe someday when I have a house I will have the space to make a really cool “running room” like yours! I love it!
    I alwaysss have the intention of doing tons of weight training during marathon training and never do (I actually talked about that on my blog today!) Hopefully while my foot it healing I will get back on track with it.

8. Alyssa April 26, 2011 at 8:35 am #

I share an apartment so there’s not much room for a shrine. :( My entire room is all my running stuff though. :) I keep my bibs & medals out for sure.

Wait, if you want to say you’ll incorporate weight training into your next training cycle, throw in a day this week! That way you can say you did it for your Big Sur training cycle. :D

9. Emily April 26, 2011 at 8:42 am #

i love your boston shrine! my goal is to someday have a home gym and wall paper it in frames of all my marathons. i like to make collages with my bibs/photos/memorabilia from each race i do.

10. 26.2 More April 26, 2011 at 8:43 am #

I really should put everything together and find a space to display it.

11. Kim April 26, 2011 at 8:44 am #

I love this room! If I had more room I would definitely do this! I’ve been meaning to use my space blankets as the background for framing bibs and race photos, you just reminded me to get my butt in gear!

12. Nancy April 26, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I love the displayed bibs!!! You are so talented!!

13. Keri April 26, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Love your running/blogging room!!!

14. Tracy April 26, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Love it! Especially the display with all of your bib numbers. Makes me kind of sad that I don’t have my first bib.

15. Megan April 26, 2011 at 9:02 am #

New follower here!

Wow! You have some beautiful displays!! I love how you put all the bibs together to form a collage. YOu rock!!

16. LindaV1959 April 26, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Yep. I have a rack

17. Courtney April 26, 2011 at 9:32 am #

I am new to your blog, but this post is so awesome. Your running stuff is SO STINKING SWEET! I have enough bibs, they’re taking over our bulletin board and the fridge, and enough medals … I would LIKE to display them. My husband doesn’t allow me to just WEAR them everyday, shame, I know. Can I ask where you got those frames you collaged in? Those are just what I am looking for.

• Aron April 26, 2011 at 9:40 am #

They are really cheep frames I have had forever :) I can’t even remember where I got them but they aren’t anything special! Check Target and places like that.

18. Running 365 April 26, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Wow- you make me feel like much a slacker! First all the running and then all the scrapbooking/displaying! I would probably have a running room too if my husband didn’t think it was nuts.

19. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef April 26, 2011 at 9:36 am #

how fun! i would totally do that if i had a house…just an apartment for now

20. Morgan April 26, 2011 at 9:42 am #

I love, love, love what you did with the Boston stuff!!! Such a great idea to use the space blanket for. I still have mine from Chicago and can’t bare to part with it! LOL! I don’t have a room for everything because our spare room is kind of a free for all room but I plan to have a room like this when we get our own place someday.

21. Rachel April 26, 2011 at 9:47 am #

LOVE this! if i had the space i would totally have a running room : ) your Boston shrine is awesome, too – definitely a keepsake. and Kylie, oh my goodness! what a funny pic!

22. Angela @ MyPinkyToes April 26, 2011 at 9:59 am #

I love that you have a running room! I love all your bibs displayed in frames…so neat!

23. the dawn April 26, 2011 at 10:05 am #

i love the boston board! i can’t wait to figure out what i’m going to do with all my memorabilia….but first i have to pack it all up, move it to kansas and THEN i can use it to decorate a room :)

love the blogging nook :)

24. misszippy April 26, 2011 at 10:13 am #

Your room is awesome! I wish I had my act together to do something like that! I don’t even think I’ve saved a bib in my life and all my hardware is in a box in the basement!

25. Lisa April 26, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Love it, thanks for sharing! It’s so fun to get inspiration from other runners. I really like the collections of bib numbers, and how you used the heat sheet behind the Boston collage. Those are the two things I haven’t done anything with yet.

I don’t have a specific room, so my things are displayed all over my house. I have my medals in the dining room. I’ve done a bunch of Disney and Rock ‘n’ Roll events that always sell collectible pins for each race so I have a shadowbox with the pins in my living room. A few of my special medals are upstairs in my bedroom. I used to have a small collage from my 1/2 marathon PR race, but I took it down after I got a new PR and haven’t created anything new yet.

26. Shortskirts April 26, 2011 at 10:30 am #

I love how you display all your bib numbers that’s so awesome!

27. Brie @ Brie Fit April 26, 2011 at 10:31 am #

I have a giant corkboard in my office at work that currently has 16 race bibs and 6 medals on it. It’s a great conversation piece and it actually inspired one of my co-workers to register for a race!

28. Angie April 26, 2011 at 10:42 am #

I just started reading your blog. I think I saw it on skinny runner. I love it. I like the way you displayed your bibs and your Boston stuff. I have to go find my bibs now!

29. Allison April 26, 2011 at 10:46 am #

I have my medals on the wall, but all of my bibs are in a drawer in my desk. I really like your bib display, I may have to try to do that myself!

30. LeeAnn April 26, 2011 at 11:04 am #

That may be the coolest room EVER!

31. Siobhan @ sio 'n the run April 26, 2011 at 11:05 am #

I love that you frame all of your bibs! I think I’m going to have to take that idea and make my own! Such a great idea.

32. Beth April 26, 2011 at 11:18 am #

That room is awesome! I love how you have saved and displayed all your running bibs and medals. Very very cool.

33. Jesse April 26, 2011 at 11:25 am #

i love it! the boston frame is awesome. i’ve got my running stuff in our office including a medal display rack from http://www.alliedmedaldisplays.com that has all our medals on it {mine and the husbands, he has more than me so far} and the cim poster from my first marathon is framed and hanging on the wall. i just finished putting all our race bibs into a scrapbook and now that they are organized in there its a breeze to add new ones after new races. i really like that you have all your bibs in frames on display :)

• Aron April 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

I have seen those and want one!!!! one of these days :)

34. Jen April 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

I don’t have a “shrine,” but seeing yours makes me want one. Well done!

35. Kristin April 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Cute! I keep all my bib numbers in a scrapbook (well, we’re on the second scrapbook now)… and one of these days I am going to pony up the cash for a t-shirt quilt, since I have been saving shirts for a while now.

36. Beth April 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Nice! I really like the Boston shrine. My bibs are in a file folder in my desk, and my (very few) medals are hanging on hooks intended for belts in the closet. Sad.

37. Becky April 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

yes, in my homegym aka PT office. it doesn’t get used enough either! Feel free to come down and make me some super cool collages of all my race stuff!

38. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad April 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

You’re not crazy, I do the same thing. My medals are hung in my closet (a walk-in, where I usually get dressed for my AM runs…it’s nice motivation). My bibs are kept in this “special” folder in chronological order. I’m really anal about it too.

39. Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

What a fun room! Our living room also functions as our office, tv room, and gym as we live in a one bedroom apartment in Chicago.

I don’t really hang up my medals but I don’t have that many of them :)

40. Sabrina April 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Love it!!! I don’t have a running *room*. That would be awesome. But I have my running bibs posted in a cork board. I’ve run several more than appear on the board, but I just started collecting them. I kept the other ones but they got caught up in Spring Cleaning or some other cleansing effort.

I do have all my medals, however, and they are posted with the bibs. And I have the Official Michael Jackson (Big Fan!) 2011 Wall calendar on which I mark my mileage and strength training (nothing else! The family wall calendar with birthdays and appointments resides in the kitchen). I even have all the safety pins I get from races clipped in a neat row on my running bag.

It’s all in my bedroom where I can see it before I go to bed and when I wake up. I also like to see them there when I do my blogging, on my laptop.. usually in bed after a shower, after a run.

It’s great that runners are so sentimental and have their own rituals. Great post. I love to read about what other runners do.

41. Cheree April 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I love this! Your displays & “shrines” are awesome! Are those regular poster frames, or are they a specific type of frame? I’d love to start one of these (my wife will just LOVE that! HA!).

• Aron April 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Just regular cheapo poster frames :)

42. Ari April 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

I loooove how you display everything, that looks so great!! I don’t have a place to display anything because I haven’t done anything yet. One day..

43. Adrienne April 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Love the Boston collage- now I want one!

I hang my marathon medals in the kitchen- that way I get to see them often.

44. Christine April 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

What a great room – Love it!! I got a medal display and hang all my medals in there :)

45. Jess April 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

That’s awesome! I have a couple boxes of running junk and a drawer of t-shirts. Random plaques around my apt. too.

46. lindsay April 27, 2011 at 4:48 am #

i have a room just like this! bike rack, treadmill, weights/yoga mat/exercise ball… desk (though my laptop tends to migrate itself to the living room) :)

i thought i’d be decent at doing weights at home but i’m not. we will probably be re-joining a gym soon. but, i do like going to do weights at the gym moreso than at home so the gym is never a waste for me. i think i just got tired of paying $50 a month last time?

47. amy April 27, 2011 at 9:11 am #

We have a room just like this. It’s not decorated yet from when we moved in (a year and a half ago) but will be. I’m pretty sure we’ll never live any place that can’t have a gym room.

48. Denise April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am #

i like the boston shrine, turned out great!! we have stuff at home to work out with but i prefer the gym. it holds me accountable and i like meeting new people there and you can pick up some good workout ideas.

49. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 28, 2011 at 5:37 am #

Certainly no room for a running room in my little Manhattan apartment (not sure the roommate would appreciate it…), but I do have a bunch of my bibs hanging right above my desk. I need to hunt down my first marathon bib from home!

50. Robyn April 28, 2011 at 9:01 am #

I so want a home gym like this and really wish I would have saved all my bibs! what a great idea!

51. Kathy April 28, 2011 at 11:41 am #

I have all of mine at my cubicle at work…students and their parents love it. I think I may need to borrow your idea to frame all of the bibs (mine are push-pinned one on top of the other).

52. Nicole May 3, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Your shrine is fantastic! I love it all.

I am terrible. I keep all my medals in my closet, on a hook. I do get to see them when I get dressed though. My husband threatens to hang them all up! Hahah!

All my bibs are in a file folder marked “running”. The folder is gigantic now. I need to do something with it!

1. Weekly Recap: Big Sur Race Week | runner's rambles - May 3, 2011

[...] used my free time to make my Boston collage, play with the pups (and take a million pictures of them doing so), and get ready for a fun-filled [...]

2. Friday Fun | runner's rambles - May 6, 2011

[...] hung it in my running room with my medal on it for now.  The picture on the canvas is great quality and I love having [...]

3. Seven Hundred | runner's rambles - May 24, 2011

[...] is currently a box sitting in my running room and it’s partially filled with some of my favorite running products.  As this week goes on, I [...]