My Running Essentials: The Clothes

Last week I talked about the gear portion of my running essentials, now we will get on to the important stuff – the clothes!

Over the last few years I have acquired quite a collection of running clothes.  I am a girl, I like to shop and like clothes, plus I like being comfortable when I run.  Although I do like to mix it up from time to time, I definitely have my favorites when it comes to clothing items!

03.10 sf run 017 2010 Vineman 70.3 058

Shirt and Tank: Nike Pacer Tank and Short Sleeve

These shirts are the BEST!  They are really long, they are light and they are the perfect medium between fitted and loose.  I definitely pull these out of the drawer for important runs.

lululemonLSswift

Long Sleeve: lululemon Run Swiftly Tech Long Sleeve

I LOVE this long sleeve.  It is long, does not ride up, and the fabric is awesome, so light and very wicking.  Plus it has thumb holes in the sleeves which we all know are the besssst!

HH-APM2

Shorts: Nike Tempo Shorts

It is no secret that I have an obsession with these shorts and have built quite a collection over the years.  I wear them to run, I immediately put them on after work even if I am not running, I just love them.

runwitharon 200561_1877166930938_1294178028_32231837_6261520_n

Although my Nike Pacer shorts and lululemon Groovy Run Shorts are giving them a run for their money lately.

runinspiretight 232734894a

Tights: lululemon Run Inspire Crop and Tight

Obsessed.  Although they have pretty much been put away for now since spring arrived, I love both these tights and will be very much looking forward to taking them out of their hibernation!  Check out my other favorites in my running capris review.

Sports Bra

This is one area where I don’t typically spend much money because really I don’t need to (lucky? hah).  I reviewed a Zensah sports bra way back when and still use it as my go to sports bra for long runs and races.  Otherwise I stick to the Target C9 bras that work great for me!

I could probably keep going and going on categories (vests, jackets, etc) but since those are the basics and this is my basic essentials post, that’s all I need!

Do we have any clothing essentials in common?

, , , , ,

25 Responses to My Running Essentials: The Clothes

1. Emily April 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

we have a lot of the same essentials! although the lululemon speed shorts are my go to. i also love my mizuno and new balance running skirts and nike dri-fit tees!

2. Marlene April 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

I <3 Lululemon. I have only worn their tights for running but will be making a trip soon for crops and shorts and maybe some tops! Do those crops have any pockets? I LOVED the tights I got b/c they have long deep pockets on each leg, perfect for gels, etc.

• Aron April 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

They dont have the pockets on each leg, but around the waist band and in the back. At least the ones I have are like that – they have other styles too :)

3. Michaela April 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I have a random question about the Nike Tempo shorts. I have a couple of pairs too, but lately I’ve noticed that they seem to be getting longer. Is it just me? Did I buy a faulty pair? Or has the cut changed recently so they’re not as short as they used to be?

• Aron April 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

I don’t know, I haven’t bought a new pair recently (since the beginning of last year?)… I tend to fold mine over though.

• Michaela April 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

I got the long-ish pair this past Christmas. I’ll have to try to foldover technique and see if that helps. Let me know if you end up buying a new pair and notice anything different!

• Sarah @ The Pajama Chef April 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

i got a pair last spring that was longer too…mine were part of the “retro” line and were totally longer than the normal ones. they’re patterned so i wonder if the patterned ones are longer (and the solid colors aren’t?)

4. Ana-Maria April 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

I love Lululemon speed shorts, though for races I prefer Nike tempo or pacer. I am with you on bras, and have some that are 10+ years old but still in awesome shape:)

5. Kristen April 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

I love the lululemon Run swiftly shirts… So soft, so comfy. I would buy one inevery collie and wear them all day if I could.

6. Jess April 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I liek Nike’s Tempo shorts as well. Although, my fav pair of Nike shorts are some unknown, no-more-existent model. Which makes the pair I have invaluable!

7. Kristin April 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

I love running clothes!! Great post :)

8. runner26 April 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

aren’t running clothes cute? you have a great collection–functional and stylish.

9. Shortskirts April 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

i also love tempo shorts. Its still pretty chilly in seattle so i’m still wearing my nike combat gear long sleeves and tights, they breathe but keep me super warm.

I also have to worry about sports bras. There are some nike ones that i like. I’m constantly buying new ones though because after a few months of ultimate and running they tend to stretch out a bit

10. ashley April 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

i mostly have nike tempos, but lately i’ve been wanting to find a short that has a less tight waistband. it seems like the tempos dig into me even though they are loose all over! those nike tanks sound great though! i like long running shirts!

11. Christy April 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

If Lululemon wasn’t so expensive (and I had a job), I would buy all their gear.

12. merrymishaps April 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Nearly all of my sports bras are Target C9. The rest are leftover from before I discovered the Target ones, and I just use them for yoga. Running has made me thankful to only be a B cup since it’s much easier (and cheaper) to keep ‘em under control! :)

Love the C9 tank tops, too.

13. Kim April 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

I share a lot of your race essentials :) PS I can’t get enough of the “hand on hip” you & your friends are rocking in these photos, all of my friends make fun of me for rocking the “skinny arm” when I’m in workout gear :)

14. lindsay April 5, 2011 at 4:57 am #

eh, no one sees sports bras most days anyway right?

that’s one thing companies could make more of — l/s shirts with thumbholes! i don’t know why but i just love them.

15. Denise April 5, 2011 at 6:06 am #

i wish i didn’t have to spend too much money on a sports bra!

16. Laura April 5, 2011 at 6:11 am #

I feel like I am the only one who cannot wear the tempo shorts…damn my short chubby legs..
    I love the Lulu tights and crops….and have been restraining myself from going to buy more stuff from them….such a struggle…

17. Jenn April 5, 2011 at 6:45 am #

We seriously love all the same clothes. Even the target sports bra!! The only thing I haven’t tried is the Lululemon tights but I love everything Lulu! I always wear Tempo shorts but Groovy Run shorts for races (recently bought the speed shorts). Fun post:)

18. LeeAnn April 5, 2011 at 8:36 am #

I love the Target sports bras! Probably because I don’t need much in that department either ;-) Love your blog!

19. Jill Will Run April 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

I’m a big fan of the Nike pacer shorts! (although, the Tempo shorts just aren’t right for me!) And I also use the Target sports bras most of the time, I’m not super well-endowed!

20. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 8, 2011 at 2:11 am #

Tempo shorts are amazing and I wish I had your color selection. :)

Anything with thumbholes gets two thumbs up from me…I only discovered them this year and it definitely made for better winter running.

Can’t wait til you add your Boston jacket to your list of favorites!! (Although, I never wear mine for running…)

21. lululemon May 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Ayurvedic Travel TipsWhat timing – Yoga Journal sent a email today featuring in-flight Ayurvedic beauty tips.