My First Boston: Marathon Eve

Going back a couple days…

I woke up pretty early on Sunday morning since Chris had signed up to run the 5k, but it wasn’t hard since I was full of nerves the second I opened my eyes.  This was the first time during the whole weekend I actually felt nervous.  I think being able to say “tomorrow” had a little something to do with it.

The BAA hosts a 5k the day before the marathon.  A tech shirt and medal for a 5k?  Yes please!  I had kind of wished I signed up for an easy fun shake out run, but I always rest the day before marathons so didn’t want to change my normal routine this time.

DSC_0078[1]

It was very windy and wet, but eventually we made our way down to the start line.  Chris ran a couple miles for a warm up and I tried to stay warm and take pictures.  There were tons of people running this race and it was fun to get some of the race atmosphere vibe the day before the big day.  This was also my first close up of the finish line for the weekend.

DSC_0072[1]

DSC_0074[1]

DSC_0073[1]

After Chris finished his race (his first race in a long time and did great!), we ran into Bethany from Our Love On the Run and Mel from Tall Mom on the street!  I randomly recognized them as I walked by and we chatted for a bit.  I was so glad I got to meet them both in person!

DSC_0113[1]

We met some friends for the invitational mile which was fun to watch.  The rain had stopped and the sun was coming out.  We got some lunch, got my breakfast food for the next day and went back to the hotel for some downtime.  There are SO MANY people around Boston the whole weekend that I really just needed to relax and zone out a bit.  The buzz throughout the city is just incredible and can be a little overwhelming at times too.

DSC_0115[1]

I ended up taking a nap which I don’t typically do the day before a marathon since I am too afraid I won’t be able to fall asleep, but it was needed and I felt much better when I woke up.  I had been fighting off a cold the whole week, but was finally starting to feel better and was very relieved.

I had been stalking the weather forecast the whole week day and everyone was saying the weather was going to be perfect for race day.  It had been really windy the whole week, but it was looking like it was going to be a strong tail wind.  We could see these flags from our hotel room the whole week and I just kept thinking “blow us to the finish line wind!”  The forecast also said sunny clear skies and I was just hoping the temperatures would stay cool for us.

DSC_0124[1]

We stayed in the hotel resting and watching The Office for a while, then went out to pick up some pizza for my pre-race dinner.

DSC_0128[1]

I ate a lot, then got all my stuff ready to go.  I ironed my name on my shirt, got everything ready in my check bag and tried to just be calm.  I couldn’t believe it was actually the next day!

DSC_0130[1]

DSC_0133[1]

221993_1975198541667_1294178028_32348631_5121935_n

I was in bed around 9 and miraculously asleep before 10pm with my alarm set for 5am for the big day!

DSC_0135[1]

Race report next!

22 Responses to My First Boston: Marathon Eve

1. Beth April 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

So fun!! I know the race already happened, but I still get excited at the pre-race posts!!

2. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

It was so windy!! I think it turned out great for race day….can’t beat a tailwind, even if the start was a little chilly for your California self! :)

3. Ari April 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

So cool! Love how you ironed on your name on your shirt, came out great!

4. Marlene April 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

You’re so cute in your PJ pants and Nike top! :)

Congrats to Chris on the 5K! I loved it when I ran it in ’09 and will definitely do it again… but I would really rather run the marathon. hehe.

*EAGERLY ANTICIPATING THE RACE REPORT*

5. Lisa April 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Are those standard iron-on letters that you would find at a craft store, or did you buy something specifically to work with a tech shirt? Also any reason you waited until the night before to iron them on? I’m looking to create a personalized shirt for my first marathon and would love any suggestions you have.

Can’t wait to read the rest of your race report!

• Aron April 24, 2011 at 10:48 am #

YES! I got them at Michaels. No reason just bought them the day beore we left and didn’t do it until the night before ;)

6. Marathongrrrl April 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

great post! Congrats on your first ever Boston! All the hard work paid off! Working hard to get there myself! Congrats again!

7. lifestudent April 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

You had pizza pre-race? Now THAT’s awesome.

I wish I had some pizza right now.

• Aron April 24, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Always have pizza the night before races and long runs :) YUM

8. Kelsey April 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FINISH!!! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of it! I’m a pre-race pizza-eater too!

9. Indi April 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Looking forward to the race report! Pizza pre race totally works for me!!

10. Angela @ MyPinkyToes April 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I can’t wait for the recap!!!

11. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad April 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Pizza is my pre-race dinner too. I love to order in at the hotel and just relax the night before.

12. Nicole April 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

wahooo!!! sounds like pre race went nice and smooth!

13. Chrissie April 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

Oooh, can you share more about the iron-on letters? Are they just the normal kind? I have a marathon in a couple of weeks and that seems much better than using masking tape.

• Aron April 24, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Yah just the normal kind I got at Michaels – they worked great! My shirt permanently says Aron tho ;)

14. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef April 19, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

i love that you had pizza the night before. i’ll be traveling for my marathon in a few weeks, and i’ve been a little stressed about where to eat the night before. i might have to copy you!

• Aron April 24, 2011 at 10:50 am #

I always eat pizza pre-long runs and races and it works well! It’s nice to have the option to have it delivered too if you want to zone out in your hotel room.

15. Rachel April 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

ohhh the suspense!

16. Kristen April 20, 2011 at 6:10 am #

I wish I had a shorter name that would be easy to iron onto a shirt…
    The buzz in the city really is crazy, I can see how it might be overwhelming.

Can’t wait for the race report :)

17. onelittletrigirl April 20, 2011 at 8:34 am #

I love the 5k medal (first time THAT ever happened to me) and the crowd support was great!!!

1. Race Report: 2011 Boston Marathon | runner's rambles - April 20, 2011

[...] My Road to Boston My Training My Goals In Boston and the Expo The Details Thankful Marathon-Eve  [...]