Big Sur Training: Week 1

Hah.

I signed up for the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge a while ago and am actually dreading excited to run another marathon next weekend, even though it’s going to be really tough.

B2B Logo

I ran The Big Sur Marathon last year and it was amazing.  The most beautiful and most challenging course I have ran.  I was sad last year that I didn’t run with my camera and have more fun on the course since it was my spring marathon and I wanted to try to do well, so I figured running it soon after Boston would be the way to get both of those done.

P4250045

This marathon will be all about “fun” and getting to the finish line so I can get that extra swag.  Oh yah did I mention that was another driving factor?  Tech shirt, jacket, extra medal, etc… sign me up!

On top of all that I am going with 7 other amazing girls… a few of which you might already know: Page, Susan (first trip to Cali!), Alyssa, Roadbunner, Kristen, Jessica and Tara!  It’s going to be a blast.

4 of us after Big Sur last year!
2010 BSIM 013

Obviously not much “training” will be happening between now and then.  I will just be doing a few easy runs between now and then since recovery from Boston is the most important.

Recapping Boston Week –1 and Big Sur Week 1!

713516-7553-0007sa

Marathon Monday
26.2 miles!

Does anyone remember what I was doing Monday because I am not sure I do, you know it wasn’t that big of deal {sarcasm}.

Still smiling incase you are wondering.

26.47 miles/3:51:57/8:45 avg pace

2011 Boston Marathon 217

Tuesday
Walking and resting (and eating!)

I was sore on Tuesday but not over the top can’t get up off the couch kind of sore.  I think walking around a bit on Monday helped a lot.  I could definitely tell I ran a marathon but it was a good amount of sore.

Chris and I did a lot of walking and I did a lot of eating.

2011 Boston Marathon 259

Wednesday
More walking and resting

We walked the whole Freedom Trail and I continued to eat lots of food.  We flew home very late that night.

Thursday
Rest

Another rest day with a lot of sitting in the car and picking up all our babies!!!  I missed my pets.

blog 055 blog 056

Friday
Rest

Back to work a day early, but used casual Friday to sport around my jacket one more time.

blog 054

Saturday
6 easy

I typically take a little bit longer off after a harder marathon effort, but I was feeling good and I have another race around the corner!

I met up with the SFM Training group and got to run with Kristin for the first 3 miles before I turned around.  It was fun to recap the whole trip and race with her and to see everyone.  It was also fun to wear my shirt – I love the race shirt!

My legs felt good, no pain anywhere, I can just tell my body is a little tired.  Overall though I was very happy and so happy to be running again!

6.0 miles/55:36/9:16 avg pace

Sunday
5 easy

I met up with Kristin again for an Easter morning run.  We took it easy and did 5 miles.

5.0 miles/46:08/9:13 avg pace

Total miles for the week: 37.5

This week will look a lot like the week leading up to Boston with a few short easy runs.  I will just be paying attention to how I feel and not pushing too hard, obviously being recovered is the #1 priority right now.

One week until my TENTH Marathon!

25 Responses to Big Sur Training: Week 1

1. Joe Vanek April 24, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I love your blog !! Thanks for sharing you experience in Boston (I will get there one day) and I can’t wait to see the pics from Big Sur.

• Kerry April 24, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I am so excited for all of you traveling for Big Sur!

2. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com April 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

I am so so excited for you to do Big Sur. You are HARDCORE!!!

3. Ari April 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

10th? That’s amazing! And Big Sur looks beautiful, I’m excited to see how it goes for you!

4. Little Miss Runshine April 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

wow 10th marathon!!! That’s so impressive!
    Good luck lady!!

5. Alyssa April 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

AHHH! I can’t wait for next weekend, and yet, at the same time, I totally can!! It’s going to be so fun. :)

6. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Crazy, lady! That’s going to be a tough, but fun marathon. At least you don’t have a ton of pressure since you just ran Boston. And the race sounds beautiful.

7. Runner26 April 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Way to go with the back-to-back marathons! Have fun @ big sur! I’m sure you will ;)

8. Kristen April 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

On my long run this morning I was telling my friend how awesome and terrible it woukd be to run Big Sur. We may have decided to run a flatter course like the napa marathon and then road trip in Big Sur… But the lure of that race is still there.

9. Karyn April 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

i’m still very jealous of your boston 2 big sur! i’ve been sporting the jacket HARDCORE. and i’m looking forward to wearing that highlighter yellow shirt on my first run back :)

10. Keri April 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

I can’t believe you are running another marathon so soon after Boston! And Big Sur, no less! Good luck and congrats again!!

11. Denise April 25, 2011 at 5:30 am #

hey, how did you get the “proof” off your finish line pic?

12. Nancy April 25, 2011 at 6:10 am #

Wow!!! Total respect for you….Boston and then Big Sur right after! You rock!

13. Joanne April 25, 2011 at 6:24 am #

Wow! Ten marathons. Good for you. I heard about Big Sur and it’s suppose to be an awesome scenic experience. Wish I was going with you. Good luck.

14. Rene April 25, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Yeah! Have a great time!

15. Marlene April 25, 2011 at 7:25 am #

Awesome that you are feeling pretty good. I’m sure that fatigue will fade throughout this week and you’ll be raring to go by the time Big Sur comes around!!

16. Kim April 25, 2011 at 8:02 am #

So much FUN! You are so hardcore, I love it! I can’t wait to see these photos, Big Sur is absolutely breath taking, I really am trying to figure out a way to check it out while I am out on the left coast for SFM!

17. Stephanie April 25, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Ok, so i just found this blog. I am trying to follow you are running another marathon next week! wow, i am just trying to train for my first one and I am already hurting. how do you do it?!?!

Anyway, your blog is great. Please stop by mine, I just started it up so trying to get it out there and any comments, thoughts etc. are great! http://runforfun-stephanie.blogspot.com/

18. Christine April 25, 2011 at 10:30 am #

soooo jealous of all you ladies running big sur! what a challenge! xoxox

19. Allison April 25, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Big Sur sounds like a race that I need to add to my “list.” I can’t wait to see all of your photos and hear how your body handles the back-to-back marathons (another thing I’d like to attempt at some point)!

20. Shortskirts April 25, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Good luck with your training and reocovery!

21. PJ April 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

I am also doing the Boston to Big Sur challenge & Big Sur will be my 10th marathon!!! Since you’ve run Big Sur before, how are the hills on the 2nd half? Now that the course has changed, I’m curious since we will be running it twice. Any tips/feedback is greatly appreciated.

22. Beth April 25, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Didn’t you read the tag? Your boston jacket can stand in for a suit jacket up to 3 months after the marathon. You earned it :) Have FUN at big sur! Take tons of pictures and enjoy every minute!