2011 Goals Check In

Well it’s that time of year.  The newness of 2011 has worn off and we are well into the year and hopefully on the way to achieving our goals we set in January!

Although I am not a big “resolution” person, I truly believe in the value of setting goals and always set new ones at the start of each year, and continue to throughout the year.  I think resolutions get a bad reputation since so many people forget about them after January, which is why I just call mine goals instead.

A goal is something I stick to and keeps me accountable to myself.  They aren’t necessarily set in stone, but are there to keep me working towards something I want to achieve.  They definitely morph over time and some are more longer term than others, but having them keeps me working hard and focused.

Now that one of my BIG long term goals has been checked off my list and since we are closing out the first third of the year, I thought it would be a good time to check in with my goals for the 2011 to make sure I am on track with where I wanted to be.

My 2011 goals were a little different from past years in that I didn’t put specific time goals for races or a certain number of miles I wanted to run.  Sure I would like to PR in every distance every year, but saying that each year gets a little redundant.  Plus I figured I would set time goals for races before each race based on my training and current ability and those would be a more realistic goal to achieve.  Instead I focused on the bigger picture for 2011 and what I wanted to look back on the overall year and see.

My 2011 Goals:

blog 031

Be in the present

I want to not set any goals just yet.  I want to be in the present more and worry about now or the current race I am training for, rather than what I might want to do 8 months down the road.

Somehow I have actually stuck to this one, and I thought it would be the hardest for me to stick to!  I really wanted to make sure that I am in the present more when it comes to running and train for the current race I am training for without thinking about 10 months down the road, and I have definitely done that.  I gave myself a deadline of May 1st (Big Sur Marathon) before I am allowed to decide on any fall races for sure, and I have actually stuck to it!  I still don’t know exactly what my fall running schedule will look like, but I have some ideas that I will post very soon!  I might need your help deciding.

2011 Boston Marathon 062

Be unpredictable

I want 2011 NOT to look like the last 3 years.  The last 3 falls have been pretty much identical and it needs to change.  I want to run new races and try new things and not do the same races I have done year after year.

So far this year doesn’t look anything like the past couple years.  I have only ran TWO races so far (usually I have done a lot more) and am doing close together marathons.  Even though I ran Big Sur last year, the course will be different this year and its under much different circumstances.  Sticking to this goal for the fall will be a much bigger challenge.

Blog 036

Be involved

I do know I want to learn more about running, help others out and really reach out to be more involved the running community.

Well I think I surpassed my expectations on this one.  Between being an SFM Ambassador, getting my RRCA Running Coach Certification, being a co-captain for team lemon run club, running as a pacer for the SFM training group, co-hosting a weekly track at the beginning of the year, helping organize the Walnut Festival Run and being a part of the Nike Women’s Make Yourself Movement, I think I have covered my bases.

I have been very busy and sometimes slightly overwhelmed, but it’s all been a blast and I can’t wait to continue to grow my involvement in all these different areas.  There is a lot of fun stuff coming up and I am looking forward to it all!

How are you doing with your 2011 goals?

This post was April contribution to the Nike Women Make Yourself Movement.

, ,

17 Responses to 2011 Goals Check In

1. Indi April 27, 2011 at 8:45 am #

Awesome job on staying on track and exceeding you goals! My two main ones were staying injury free and finishing my first marathon which…I managed to stay major injury free :) AND just crossed the finish line of my first marathon this past saturday!! So on track so far!!

2. Jen April 27, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Great goals! And way to stay on track. My goals this year are primarily to have fun & avoid injury. So far so good.

3. amy April 27, 2011 at 9:18 am #

I love these goals! I’ve focused on similar items and definitely am running better/enjoying it more as a result. Thanks for sharing!

4. Karyn April 27, 2011 at 9:28 am #

well I never really set goals like that, I mean writing them down, but I like your be unpredictable one! it’s something that I’m trying to be. This year my big thing is to take chances. I figure I’m young and I can let the wind blow me around a little bit. Live life and experience a lot while still trying to shape my future. <–typing that out just scared me. a lot!

5. Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am #

I think I’m doing pretty darn good on my goals so far! I too always say PR at all distances but that keeps getting harder and harder. So this year I’d like to most to go under 3:20 in the marathon and under 41:00 in the 10K. I already had a PR in the 8K and mile(which were two of my goals) – so I already consider 2011 a ‘running’ success.

I also totally agree on the resolutions vs goals thing. I think goals are much better than resolutions ;)

Good LUCK this weekend though I know you don’t need it!

6. Marlene April 27, 2011 at 10:36 am #

Looking good! You are having such a great year – congrats on sticking to those goals. Staying in the present is something I need to work a little harder on. I am always getting ahead of myself!

7. Beth April 27, 2011 at 11:11 am #

I like that your goals were more about a mindset and approach rather than times/distances/amounts. You are doing really well on reaching your mid-term goals and keeping the new year resolution/goals! Good luck at Big Sur!

8. Running Girl April 27, 2011 at 11:15 am #

I like your goals & staying focused throughout the year is awesome. One of my goals for 2011 was to start running & complete a 5K. I did both, & now I’m hooked. I added “complete a 1/2 marathon” to my goal list as well. I’d also like to figure out my next career move & start planning for that.

9. Nelly April 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Sounds like your goals are going great for 2011! Especially on the getting involved aspect – you really are getting super involved into running. And congrats on the Boston Marathon, I know how big that goal was for you – now you are are probably like “What’s next?” haha I guess you can almost start off with like a clean slate or something with having no idea what to do next or any expectations =)

And did you and Page coordinate your posts today or something? haha

• Aron April 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Haha nope didn’t plan that one – great minds think alike?! ;)

10. Jeni @ stepping out April 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Great job with the goals!

I have an off-topic question. I’m still considering running the SF half marathon but a big consideration for me is hotel and transportation. Since you’re on that side of the country…do you have any ideas that might make it a little more doable for me? Thanks!

11. Ari April 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Great job sticking with your goals! I have failed most of my goals (don’t use my credit cards, etc), I’m sad to say. Already!

12. Wifey April 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

GREAT goals! Love that you are switching things up – really inspiring!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

13. Corey @ the runners cookie April 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

I actually love these goals – being present, unpredictable, and involved are a refreshing change from the usual goals that people talk about. I give you a lot of credit for admitting that you aren’ completely satisfied with the past 3 years and want a bit of a change this year. I will be really curious to see how you make these happen and what benefits you start to see. Definitely do a follow-up post in a month or 2!

14. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 28, 2011 at 5:35 am #

I love your goals, especially how involved you have become in the running community! I really need to work on that since I think it’d be awesome to give back some of what it has given to me.

I’m excited to see what the fall may hold for you!

1. Marathon Fever | runner's rambles - May 4, 2011

[...] I mentioned in my 2011 Goals Check In post, I had given myself until May 1st until I was allowed to make any decisions on what I wanted [...]

2. 2011 Goals Check In… Q3 | runner's rambles - October 5, 2011

[...] you have been reading for a while, you know I like to check in with my goals quarterly to see where I am at, see if there is anything I want to change or if there [...]