Foodie Friday: this week

Another week of insatiable hunger.  Oh marathon training, I love you.

This post is going to be very random, because that’s pretty much how my brain is functioning right now… in short sentences, jumping around in topics, but always thinking about eating.

There is no time to take pictures of food when you are marathon hungry!food

This week I made quinoa in the rice maker!  I know you all wanted an update on that and it was yummy.  I just added more water than it calls for and put it on the brown rice setting.  It comes out nice and fluffy and delicious and I will definitely be doing that again.

This week I ate far too many zbars, luna bars, clif bars, all of the above.  I wish I didn’t love bars so much but I do.  They have taken over the fruit bowl.

DSCN0134[1]

This week I had egg tacos for dinner, twice.  They are so fast and have lots of good things in them, I can’t resist when I am impatient.

This week the only things that sounds appetizing to me are oatmeal and cheese, but definitely not together.

I am going through oatmeal like it’s going out of style.
The rice cooker makes it even better!
DSCN0135[1]

This week bananas tasted good again, but apples not so much.

This week I went through 2 boxes of granola.

Last weekend I had the best veggie burger from The Habit (first time there!) after my long run on Sunday.  Veggie burgers seem to be my new post long run craving and I think I will be going there every week from now on.

It’s been a very good week in training so far and I am doing my best to refuel with good foods.  I have definitely used my tricks from last week and it’s helped a lot.  I come home and have healthy options in front of me, so that’s what I eat… just a lot of it!

Brown rice with sautéed brussel sprouts, spinach and garbanzo beans.  YUM. food1

I rewarded myself on the good week so far with cookie Thursday (when Chris brings me home a cookie) and it was definitely worth it.

I love cookies!
cookie

What do you crave post long run?  Have you rewarded yourself yet this week?

32 Responses to Foodie Friday: this week

1. katie March 4, 2011 at 8:32 am #

i’ve been craving a certain veggie burrito. mmmmmm.

2. Britt March 4, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I always crave a ginormous bowl of cereal after my long runs. Random? I know. You think I could find something more exciting to crave, but oh well.
    And as for treating myself for a good week of healthy eating, I will be making chocolate chip waffles for dinner tonight in an attempt to carb load for tomorrow’s long run…at least that’s what I’m telling myself!
    And that cookie looks delicious!

3. Nicole March 4, 2011 at 8:46 am #

I’m also in training (for a 50K) and my grocery bill feels it! I just wanted to let you know that, speaking of cheese, have you ever eaten cheddar cheese with dried figs? SOOOOO good! And healthy to boot! Just wanted to share.

Thanks for the great blog and good luck at Boston!

4. Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race March 4, 2011 at 9:02 am #

That brown rice dish looks unreal. I will definitely be on that this coming week.

I am a granola devourer. I buy 3 boxes at a time and make it at home as well. I can’t get enough of it. I put 1/4c in my fruit salad for the crunch. I eat it as a snack. I just love the stuff.

5. Tina (MightyMite Runner) March 4, 2011 at 9:15 am #

a starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate with one shot of espresso and a perfect oatmeal with the works. ESPECIALLY on a cold and wet post run day. :)

6. Jen March 4, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I keep bars in my fruit bowl, too! Though I usually hide it when people come over because it feels so wrong ;)

7. Marlene March 4, 2011 at 10:52 am #

I’m saving myself for a reward on Sunday… although I did enjoy Subway for lunch today, which I seem to do most Fridays. :)

I have to remember to pull out my rice cooker to try quinoa AND oats!!

8. Angie March 4, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Yum, all that food looks yummy! Love reading your blog! I think I reward my self a little too much (and Im not marathon training…) !

9. Jeni @ stepping out March 4, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I can’t wait to start marathon training. :D For more reasons than one…lol
    I love my oats in my rice cooker! Isn’t it wonderful?

• Aron March 4, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Best thing ever!! Both marathon training and oats in the rice cooker ;)

10. Mrs. L March 4, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I’m still a beginner runner so my long runs are more like your warm ups LOL

I like a small glass of chocolate almond milk after a run…. It’s pretty much all I can have so as to not cancel out my 2 miles LOL

• Aron March 4, 2011 at 11:37 am #

I don’t think I knew there was chocolate almond milk! I will have to try that :) 2 miles is 2 miles!!!! Great job for getting out there and starting to run.

11. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef March 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

i’ve been craving a candy bar. weird for me. so i ate one earlier today, after i had a nutritious lunch post-long run :)

12. Emily March 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

no time to take pictures when you’re marathon hungry. I’ll second that!

I am also bar obsessed. I usually eat more than one a day. It’s out of control.

I have rewarded myself with chocolate covered potato chips two days in a row. Also, tonight I’m doing margaritas and mexican. I like to think I earned it:)

13. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com March 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

PIZZA but usually I go for a smoothie, chocolate milk and a pb sandwich:) You just reminded me of how much I love granola, better go get some. Oh, and I will be copying you and using the slow cooker for my oats:)

14. Janice March 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Chips and salsa…. yummers.

15. Susan - Nurse on the Run March 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I think I’m going to start making breakfast tacos….I get home in the morning from work and definitely don’t feel like “dinner” food….but I think breakfast tacos will do the trick!

16. Karyn March 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

BURGERS! i could never be a foodie during marathon training. i just inhale my food like whoa

17. ShortSkirts March 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

I love pancakes after long runs. And some scrambled eggs so good.

18. Rachel March 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

what exactly are egg tacos? i’m intrigued… i LOVE veggie burgers and the one at the habit is one of the best! i often crave a breakfast burrito after my long runs, something about the egg and salsa… btw that rice dish looks awesome!

19. Kelsey March 5, 2011 at 7:18 am #

Egg taco-you just blew my mind!

I always crave PB…lots, and lots, and lots of PB!

20. Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run March 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Oh my gosh – I crave Chobani yogurt and tostitos after my long runs. Protein and salt are apparently what I’m in need of. Haha!

21. Page March 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Soooo, you need to teach me how to cook the oatmeal. Or I can Google it ;)

22. Roisin March 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I love that your hubby brings home a cookie for you! I’m going to try that brown rice, brussel sprouts, spinach, and garbanzo beans thing sometime. I remembered to buy the beans, just not the sprouts or the spinach. Maybe next week?

23. Mica March 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Where do you get Zbars? I don’t think they sell them at my “grocery store” which is actual a horrible, evil box store… I guess I’m not surprised by the lack of Zbars.

I reward myself pretty much all the time, long run or not. Hello, hips and thighs!

24. Mary March 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

I LOVE cliff bars and Larabars and the like. i even have a little box in my pantry designated to all of my “bars”

I love a nice cold smoothie post run. Infact, I had one this morning :)

25. Jess March 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

I crave peanut butter after long runs, which is usually what I eat. I guess that’s not different from most days. :)

26. Denise March 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

i go through oatmeal like it’s nothing!! we just ordered a rice cooker, can’t wait to try all my different grains in it.

27. Laura March 23, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I think it’s so funny that you always seem to do egg tacos as a dinner food, whereas I always do them as a breakfast food. Really, they could be classified as either! Great versatile meal.

28. www.americangrillingclub.com August 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Very good post. I’m experiencing a few of these issues as well..

29. chimney hoods February 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

What’s up to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your
    views are good for new viewers.

30. Vance May 23, 2014 at 3:00 am #

Thanks for finally writing about >Foodie Friday: this
    week | runner’s rambles <Loved it!