Foodie Friday: Current Favorites

First things first, today is the 18th, which means…

ONE MONTH until The Boston Marathon!!!!!

Cue butterflies in my stomach, ants in my pants and OMG this is really happening thoughts!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.  I am doing a bit of a combination of Foodie Friday and Friday Favorites this week with a few of my current food favorites.

Please note this list does not include cookies, which are still on the top of my favorite list right now.  So much so, that someone found my blog with the search phrase “as a runner I crave cookies,”  Yes.

Spinach

blog 034

As a vegetarian and a runner, I know that iron is very important and one great place to get iron is spinach!  I never used to be a big fan – not sure why – but lately I have been adding it to everything!

My pretty standard dinner is a big bowl with a grain of some sort (brown rice or quinoa), a ton of sautéed vegetables, and either some beans or cheese (sometimes both).  I got the great idea last week to add spinach to my vegetables and have been doing it every night since!  It’s so easy to make and adds a lot of much needed nutrients.  I have also been adding it to my salads too!

Cascadian Farms Granola

Granola

Seriously addicted.  I had this to my oatmeal and my morning snack of Greek yogurt.  I can’t get enough of this stuff!  I have to leave the box at home and not keep it at my desk because otherwise it will be gone much too fast.

Luna Chocolate Protein Bar

luna

I have always been a Luna Bar lover and really love the protein bar version.  They are really dense and are yummy too!  They recently just came out with the chocolate flavor which I loooove.  It definitely satisfies my chocolate cravings while refueling me after a tough workout.

What are your food favorites right now?

32 Responses to Foodie Friday: Current Favorites

1. Heather March 18, 2011 at 9:16 am #

I love Cascadian Farm Granola – I have a box of Oat and honey right now – I need to look for the maple brown sugar.

I’m loving green beans right now – I hated them for so long but have tried them again and love them.

2. Jill Will Run March 18, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Ooooh… I haven’t tried that new Luna Protein flavor, I’ll have to seek that one out. I like the Peanut Butter one a lot!

I’m loving tortilla chips on salads right now. Fresh and Easy has a whole bunch of different flavors of tortilla chips, so I’ve had big salads for lunch each day with various veggies, nuts, beans over greens and tortilla chips crumbled on top.

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 9:55 am #

I can’t wait to go to Fresh n Easy this weekend!!!!

3. Shortskirts March 18, 2011 at 10:20 am #

i love love love spinach. I’ve also been super obsessed with applesauce lately

4. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com March 18, 2011 at 10:22 am #

ONE MONTH!!! I can’t wait to meet you!! SPINACH is AMAZING…I am addicted:) Have an amazing weekend!

5. Marlene March 18, 2011 at 10:44 am #

I’m with you on spinach and granola. Several times a day!!! It’s easy to get carried away with the granola. :S

Will have to look for those Luna bars!

6. Joanne March 18, 2011 at 11:05 am #

I ran my long run yesterday so I’m having a total carbohydrate melt down. Anything that looks like bread, bagel, sweet potato, SUGAR is going into my mouth.

I love spinach. But it’s really important to realize that simply munching on spinach doesn’t mean you’re getting all that good iron nutrition. Spinach is called a “non heme” iron and it’s tough for the body to absorb it. So to help, add some vitamin C or citric acid to the salad (that’s easy – it’s usually in our salad dressings). But some kind of healthy protein EXCEPT EGG (eggs inhibit iron absorbtion) also helps a lot.

Things to avoid when eating spinach, so you can get a healthy dose of the iron are: tea, coffee, hot chocolate (cocoa). Calcium. Grains – because the phytic acid in grains inhibits absorbtion as well.

And… stop making me nervous about Boston. I’m trying to take deep breaths and relax ;)

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Thank you!!!! See all good things to know :) Any other good sources of iron you recommend?

Also, what “healthy protein that’s not egg” would you recommend to a vegetarian?

• Joanne March 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Nuts, seeds, Tempeh (tempeh is a fermented product so the phytic acid is reduced). Whey protien if you use it. You can also reduce the phtic acid content in the grain and legume sources by soaking, baking, or using sprouted foods. Vitamin C added to the iron source, reduces the phytic acid content as well.
        I’m not a nutritionist, but those are some of the things I learned since I love spinach and wanted to get the most from it. I’ve looked into a bit. :)

7. Holly March 18, 2011 at 11:06 am #

i used to love luna bars too–then i realized my allergy to soy and sadly lunas are no longer a part of my life. that’s one of the hardest things with “bars” for me- if they have any protein, most of them have soy protein which is a HUGE no-no for me. i love oatmega bars (made semi-locally in austin, tx- i live in houston, tx)- whey protein is much better for me!

i could also seriously eat brussel sprouts at every meal – before long runs we make homemade pizzas with brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onions and cheese- delicious! :)

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Um me too, I cannot get another brussel sprouts!!!

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 11:21 am #

That was supposed to be “enough” not “another” ;)

8. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef March 18, 2011 at 11:26 am #

mmm i’m really into spinach, apples, bagels, and yogurt right now :)

9. Kim March 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

My favorite cereal right now is Nature’s Path Organic Very Berry crunch cereal! I’m obsessed!! I’ve also really come to love soy milk, because I now suspect that I might be slightly lactose intolerant. :( I’ve also been eating a lot of spinach lately, and I used to avoid it but now I really love it! I have this great Moroccan Chickpea Soup that I make and the spinach is the best part! It’s really filling and delicious, if you want I can send you the recipe :) Yay for Boston!!

10. Christina March 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

After trying McDonald’s oat meal, I have been having a love for oatmeal. Instead of spending the money and wasting my calories on McDonald’s version, I make my own in the morning. I add some raisins, a slight drizzle of maple syrup, cut up some apples and mix it into some oatmeal and water and zap it in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes. Cheap and satisfying!

I also love some Napa cabbage. I do a stir-fry with it. Olive oil in skillet to coat, Napa cabbage and some broccoli, yellow squash and add a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Toss it around for a few minutes and ta-da! It’s ready. ( I don’t really like raw vegetables, but I don’t like too-cooked veggies either. So usually I kinda saute it slightly until it is rid of that “fresh, raw” smell.)

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Do you happen to have a rice maker? I have been making oatmeal in it every morning so it’s ready when I get up and its SO GOOD! I am obsessed with oatmeal but that’s not a new thing ;)

11. Amanda March 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

Spinach is really good in Smoothies, you can pack a bunch in and barely taste it. Yum!

My favorites right now are raw walnuts and bananas. I’ve been on a bread baking kick too.

12. Jessica March 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Have you tried the Chocolate Raspberry Luna bar?? Super yummy!

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

YES thats my fav regular luna bar :) YUM.

13. melissa March 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

I also put spinach in my protein shakes. I usually do a big handful of spinach, one cup of frozen cherries or banana and a scoop of chocolate powder. Sometimes I add peanut butter. Easy way to get the spinach in and you can’t taste it. Of course you have to blend it. :-)

14. Zoe March 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

I am SO EXCITED for you and Boston!!
    Spinach is definitely something I’m eating more of, too. Makes me think of Popeye. ;)

• Aron March 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Hah! I almost said something about Popeye in my post ;)

15. Ana-Maria March 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

I eat almost 2 bags of spinach/day. I now make me lunch salads with spinach, and also add spinach to a stir fry that my husband makes of the weekend and last the entire week. I don’t eat many bars, but I often get the Luna protein, the only (I think) protein bar that tastes good.

16. Adrienne March 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Yeah for one month to the marathon! And, yikes!

I am a huge fan of spinach as well- I even put it in my breakfast smoothies.

17. Demi (Rio) March 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

I feel so out of the loop…didn’t know Luna made protein bars! To the store…pronto!

18. Vanessa @ Project Zen March 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Cascadian Farms is one of my fave go-to cereals to switch off to – aside from Kashi and Wild Harvest. I’m currently obsessed with Wild Harvest’s crunchy vanilla granola cereal over some almond milk with some fresh fruit over it. Yum!

So glad to find your blog! I’m not a marathon runner by any means but good luck running Boston!

- Vanessa
    Project Zen

19. runner26 March 19, 2011 at 5:39 am #

i wish i was obsessed with any food at the moment. i’m just happy if i’m hungry and feel like eating.

i guess if pressed i’d say avocado? definitely not an obsession, but a nutritious, filling food that is also pretty versatile.

can’t believe boston is in a month! wow

20. kristen March 19, 2011 at 8:21 am #

I didn’t know you were a vegetarian. I’m a big fan of spinach too!

21. Little Miss Runshine March 19, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Holy cow! I didn’t even think we have just a month left now!! AHH!

22. Jo Lynn March 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

I eat POUNDS (not lying) of organic baby spinach every week. I buy the huge container at Costco and still end up buying two or three bags at TJ’s before the week is up. All of mine is eaten raw, in a salad with persian cucumber, goat cheese, slivered almonds, olive oil, lemon and a dash of sea salt.
    Those Luna protein bars are so good, aren’t they? My favorite one is the cookie dough. Mmmm, mmmm good! ;)

23. Kelly March 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Boston will be here so soon – how exciting :) I can’t wait to be there and spectate!

My favorites are Greek yogurt, Justin’s chocolate peanut butter and brussels sprouts (the first two together, the third, not so much!)

24. Carlee March 20, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Ooooo I hope I can find those luna protein bars, sounds like a what I need after a longer run for my commute home!