Accent Vlog

I am not a big fan of seeing myself on videos, but I decided to change it up and get out of my comfort zone a little bit because I love seeing these on other blogs!  It’s always fun to put a voice behind all the typed words.

This is the “accent vlog” that has been going around blog land for a while.  I am late to this party, but better late than never right?

Below is the list of words and questions that I say in the video.  If you haven’t already you should do one too!

List of Words:

Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

Questions:

• What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
  • What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
  • What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
  • What do you call gym shoes?
  • What do you say to address a group of people?
  • What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
  • What do you call your grandparents?
  • What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
  • What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
  • What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

, ,

39 Responses to Accent Vlog

1. Jesse March 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

cute video! i especially loved the “What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining” -”Raining” … what else would it be called?!?

YAY for cali accents :)

2. Jessica March 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Cute video! I totally want to try this now. Although soda is actually pop to me…

• Aron March 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

I always used to make fun of my cousins for saying “pop” – I thought it was hilarious! I think its a mid-west thing? You definitely don’t hear it in CA :)

• Jay @Tri2Thrive April 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Yep.. that’s a midwest thang.. sometimes “soda pop” is ok too.

3. Susan - Nurse on the Run March 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

I love hearing how bloggers’ voices sound because I feel like I know them so well but have no idea what they sound like! You don’t sound like you have an accent to me…I have yet to hear one of these vlogs where I’m like WOW that’s an accent!

I love your hair and the fact that this was done in running clothes (tempo shorts, right?)…so good! Can’t wait to meet you and hear you in person!

• Aron March 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

HAHA yes, came home from work and changed into running clothes even though I wasn’t going running! Pretty standard practice for me ;)

4. Ana-Maria March 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

You are such a sweaty. Loved the interview. I hate myself on video and this is one fear I won’t challenge:)

5. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad March 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Aww, so cute! I don’t think you have an accent at all!

6. Karyn March 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

hahah. i am far too challenged to make a video, which is why i just answered the questions :)

can’t wait to hear your “accent” in real life :) T- less than 5 weeks

7. Irish Cream March 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

You are adorable! And I have to agree that you are pretty accent-less. If I did this, people would be super confused. My original accent is a Chicago accent, but then I also have a few words that if I’m not paying attention, I’ll say with a NY accent (dog and coffee come to mind) . . . and I am starting to almost pick up a teeny bit of a Texas accent now that I’ve been here for a little while. So, I guess I basically sound like one big mess. HA! Perhaps I’ll have to try and dig the camera out and try this one :)

8. Marlene March 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

How cute are you! Your voice doesn’t sound the way I expected at all. So funny. Thanks for being brave and doing this. If I can figure out the camera/recorder on my laptop MAYBE I will too.

Oh, and I think you DO have an accent!!

Words I say differently: route, caramel, New Orleans, pecan.. possibly “both” and “again” but hard to tell. Tall Mom told me I say “sorry” like a Canadian. lol

9. Simi March 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

haha Awesome… I’m from Cali (San Diego) and moved to Houston, TX 2 years ago. I have/had a Cali accent (normal to me). The thing I got most crap about was the way I address a group of people. Cali peeps say “You guys” and TX peeps say yall. I hated the funny looks so now I say yall, it doesn’t feel like me. But yeah, us Cali girls totally have an accent and everyone loves it! :)

10. Carlee March 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Very fun. I especially liked that while Eric and I were watching your vlog, our cat, Chili Pepper jumped in the way…moments before your cat did the same. Maybe they think they have accents?

11. Keri March 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

I love Jasmine jumping up and meowing! So cute! I used to say pop but taught myself to say soda so that I would not sound like I was from the country!

12. Candice @ I Have Run March 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

This is awesome! So fun to hear your voice. And since you say everything and answered all the questions exactly how I do, maybe I should just repost your video =) Or maybe I’ll get around to doing it. My blog could use a little something different!

13. Jesse N. March 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

I’ve enjoyed seeing these on different blogs. It’s fun to hear what people sound like, after reading their blog posts for awhile (yours was one of the first blogs I found, so I’ve been floating around for awhile). Thanks for posting this, even if you do hate videos.

14. The Laminator March 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

OMG, this is hilarious! I can totally tell you’re a Cali girl, although I have to admit, I’d answer each of those questions exactly the same as you. Haha! Great vlog post Aron!

15. Toronto Girl West March 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Having met you, I think you sound totally normal! And I mean that in the best way possible!!! Really clear neutral speech! :)

16. Zaneta March 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

so cute! :) you look great on video! :) You sound perfectly normal to me ;)

17. Average A March 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

This is funny! I think I heard a few words where maybe I can hear an accent. I never knew what a California accent was until now, when I hear how I’d say words vs. how you say the same words. How fun!

p/s: Jasmine rules!!! :)

18. Meghan March 16, 2011 at 2:25 am #

Funny, the only word I caught an accent on was, “accent!”

19. onelittletrigirl March 16, 2011 at 5:38 am #

I love it- I love hearing others voices! I actually got a flip cam for Christmas and did this project but never posted it because I also hate my voice.

Maybe now I will join with you and step out of my comfort zone.

20. kristen March 16, 2011 at 5:38 am #

LOVE this post. You don’t sound at all like I thought you would, but you still sound and look great on video! So glad you did this. We have the same accent. Go figure :)

21. onelittletrigirl March 16, 2011 at 5:41 am #

By the way, the rain with sun= SUNSHOWER :)

22. Kim March 16, 2011 at 7:40 am #

This is super cute! You DEFINITELY have an accent…! I should do this because I bet people will expect a crazy Boston accent but I don’t at all. I do pronounce a few things weirdly :) but none of that “CAH” business :)

23. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef March 16, 2011 at 7:56 am #

awww cute! i say words similarly too :)

24. That PInk Girl March 16, 2011 at 9:47 am #

Raining and sunshining? The Devil is beating his wife.

No lie.

Loved it! I’ve been thinking about trying this too but haven’t been brave enough! You are just too precious and barely have an accent at all! Thanks for posting this so now we know you a little bit better!

25. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair March 16, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Ahhhh I LOVE IT! So cool to hear your voice! You don’t sound like I imagined but I can definitely hear a bit of an “American” accent ;) (this from a Canadian. Hehe)

26. Alisa March 16, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Super cute!

I may need to do this now, though like you I hate being on camera.

27. Jill Will Run March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

I still love these! And even if you are “late to the party” that just makes it feel fresh again because we’ve had a break from them for a while!

We say a lot of things similarly!

28. Melanie March 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

How fun! You are adorable. I’m going to have to do this one… I say things totally different!

29. Lauren March 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

I love watching these!! I don’t hear an accent on you at all, but it’s really fun to hear how you talk. Especially because like you said, it’s great to be able to put a voice to the words I see on the screen everyday. Also love that you’re wearing running clothes. That’s my standard post work outfit too – whether I’m running or not.

30. Denise March 17, 2011 at 4:51 am #

tennis shoes…NOOOOO!!! i could not take that when i lived in Michigan. they are sneakers! but at least you don’t call soda “pop.”

i don’t think i could subject myself to this vlog…i have a philly accent. which andy says isn’t an accent but that we just talk wrong.

31. J March 17, 2011 at 7:27 am #

If I did one of these everyone would hear my thick accent! I have a strange western NY accent that mostly only girls get in this area. Its weird and I never noticed it until someone from out of town comes in a makes fun of me!

32. Lee March 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Haha, I love that the cat wanted to be in the video.

You say a few words differently than I do, but I don’t think you have an accent.

33. Jess March 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

You are tooooo cute and it was so fun seeing you on a video after reading your blog for years and years!!!!

34. Michaela March 22, 2011 at 8:53 am #

My favorite part is when your cat keeps interrupting the video! Ha! Cats are so silly!

35. Jay @Tri2Thrive April 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

I thought this was some program, and at the end, there was going to be a pop-up screen with an automated analysis of your “accent”! Still, very cool.. I don’t think you have any accent?

36. caroline April 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

I just found this because Jenn did this today and she said she got the idea from you.
    I say you have no accent like most people (like my husband) from California!
    I will do this I think!
    I have a really strong accent (French Canadian) so it should be funny