Runniversary

Three years ago today…

• I ran my very first mile of my first marathon training.
  • I had never run more than 3 miles at a time.
  • I had no idea what tempo, BQ, VO2, or really any running terms meant.  I didn’t really know there were running terms.
  • I had no idea if I could run 26.2 miles, I had a hard time fathoming 10.
  • I would have never imagined that I would be training for the Boston Marathon.
  • I had no idea what a huge impact running would have on my life.
  • My life changed for the very best.

I still can’t believe it’s been three full years since that day.

If you don’t know my story, I actually hated running but had a marathon on my bucket list for some reason.  As a new years resolution type thing, I decided to sign up for a charity program to train for one.  I was bored in my workout routine and needed a new challenge, so I took a leap of faith and went to the meeting that day to kick off my marathon training.  One little mile started it all.

I have learned so much about running and about myself in those three years and I cannot imagine what I would be doing now without it.  Running has become such a huge part of my life now and has introduced me to the most amazing people and community.  I am very, very lucky to have found it.

Our very first race together
SeeJaneRun

Tara and Kristin both embarked on this same journey that same day, which is how we all met! So we all share the same runniversary, I guess it would be considered the anniversary of our friendship as well.  I still am so thankful that they just happened to have the same goals that year and were enticed by the same fundraising option.  Both girls have truly made my life better and I am so grateful to have them as some of my best friends.

So here I am 3 years later, still running.  This is by far the longest I have stuck to a routine or workout program without some sort of extended break.  Running and me just click.  I can’t imagine not running and I can’t wait to see what I have going on in another 3 years!

Do you celebrate your runniversary?

38 Responses to Runniversary

1. Lynette February 9, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I love what running has done for you…both physically & mentally! You have become such a motivated, hard working & self confident person from this sport! You are one amazing woman and, as your Mom, I couldn’t be prouder! Keep up the good work my dear!

2. Katie V February 9, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Happy Runniversary! That is great that you can pinpoint the very day it all began. I don’t know my runniversary although i was quite similar to you: I hated running. So I guess I celebrate every time I go for a run because I want to and I can help myself but to go. Sometimes i still force myself and it is a triumph every time I love it a little more.

3. emily February 9, 2011 at 10:16 am #

i love this post! i do celebrate my runniversary, as well as my raceiversity! my first run was at a beginner class where we ran for 1 minute, walked for 2 minutes, and did this 7 times. a few months later, i ran a 4-mile race. every year i will make it a point to run this same race. this april will be my 3rd one.

4. Emily February 9, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Happy runniversary aron! I celebrate my first marathon since I can’t really peg the day I started to be a “runner.” My runniversary happens to also be my birthday so it’s usually a pretty awesome day filled with lots of…running. obviously.

5. Nelly February 9, 2011 at 11:14 am #

That is incredible that basically in 3 years you went from just starting out running to qualifying for Boston =) Seems like you were probably always a good athlete, but never applied it to running before. I think your blog is one of the best out there for running info and motivation for average runners just like all of us.

My first real race was the mile in junior high, so I’m not sure if I have an extra running anniversary =) But maybe like Emily said above, my greatest accomplishment was completing a marathon, so maybe I’ll keep that date as my running anniversary, haha

6. jamie February 9, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I do celebrate my runniversary, but since I started running in high school in cross country I have to seperate the two. I have been running “seriously” for about a year now. I believe my very firfst run was the day after I saw my sister run her 4th marathon. I was like, “I can do it too”.
    It’s crazy you’ve been running 3 years now! Glad I got follow on your running journey and I definitely plan to continue reading!! :) thanks for the inspiration!

7. Marlene February 9, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Happy Runniversary!!! Who’d a thunk it????

It’s been about 4 years for me but I don’t really celebrate a specific date… I just hopped on the treadmill instead of the elliptical one day out of sheer boredom and that’s how it all began. ;)

8. katie February 9, 2011 at 11:55 am #

happy runniversary! what a great journey!

9. Bethany February 9, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

happy runniversary!!!! It’s great that you know the specific date and great that you were able to run a mile on day 1 lol. my first run (like my first intentional non-stop run) was sometime in 1997 and i was only able to run a quarter mile, lol. It sure is amazing to look back on the early days, you’re right, who would have thought! congrats! :-)

10. TNTCoachKen February 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

Happy three years. I’ve almost forgotten when I started running. Now I have to go back and check…….. HA

11. Jill Will Run February 9, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Holy cow… I had no idea you have only been running for 3 years! You are amazing! I’m super impressed with all you have accomplished in such a short time!

12. Kim February 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Congratulations on your three year runniversary! You’ve accomplished so much in three short years, I am truly amazed. I can’t wait to meet you on Patriots Day weekend in Boston :)

13. Morgan February 9, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Happy Runniversary!!! Isn’t crazy to think it’s only been a few years but you’ve done SO much!?!?!

14. Holly February 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

I wish I knew my own runniversary…how cool that you know the exact day!

15. Karyn February 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

i don’t know my runniversary! i wish i did. very cool to be celebrating 3 years :)

16. J February 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

I have been running for a long time, but always to get ready for a sport. I think I was going into 8th grade when I started running more to get in shape for soccer. I really got hooked on running after my first big race after my freshman year of college!

Happy runniversary! I think its so great that you took the plunge and started running!

17. Laura February 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

Very cool! I hope I can say the same thing in a couple years!

18. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad February 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Happy Runniversary!

I can’t imagine my life without running too. I’m completely addicted.

19. Nicole February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Happy Runniversary! :)

I love celebrating my recent runniversary! :)

20. the dawn February 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

i don’t really remember when my runniversary is…cause i ran (and hated it) a little in high school for gym and basketball. then i would run on my own in college sometimes (but i still hated it). then i took “running for everyone” or something my last year in college. at the end of that semester i decided to run a half marathon. and then it just progressed from there.

i love that you know the exact day that you started the journey of running and to running! what a great day to celebrate :)

21. Susan - Nurse on the Run February 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

happy runniversary! I love that you know when it is…I have no idea when my first day was!

22. Rachel February 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

happy runniversary! it’s amazing how much you’ve accomplished in just 3 years!!

23. Naomi February 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

i can’t believe its only been 3 years! its so great that you know the actual date you started running. i started running for a few years before i actually started racing, so i just count the date of my first race as my runniversary. maybe it should be my “raceversary.” :) happy runniversary! you are such an inspiration!

24. Holly February 10, 2011 at 4:51 am #

Happy Runniversary! I don’t think I can pinpoint my runniversary- I started running over 10 years ago with TNT to run the Maui Marathon. I’ve basically been running ever since but certainly in the on again off again manner until the last few years.

Hope you celebrated with a good run! :)

25. Tara February 10, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Happy Runniversary!!!! I am still in awe of all the things that took place after running our very 1st marathon training mile that day and am so grateful to have met so many amazing friends along the way! ♥♥♥

26. Tim Renggli February 10, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I celebrate my runniversary at the Wharf to Wharf every year. It was my first run back since I got out of the Army. I thought that I had run ALL the miles I needed the 4yrs I served. A friend had an extra entry to the race and wanted to know if I would be interested in joining her. The race location made saying yes easy even if the run wasnt gonna be. It had been 22 yrs since I had laced up my running shoes but there I was a the start line ready to go. I ran the whole race without stopping and I was hooked on running!!! 10k, 12k, half-marathon are off the runner bucket listand I am now training for my first marathon.This year I will celebrate my 4th runniversary and I cant imagine my life without running.

27. Denise February 10, 2011 at 10:14 am #

congrats!! glad to see you’re still going strong.

28. Nitmos February 10, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I vaguely recall when you came online. A lot of miles have passed…a lot more to go.

29. Cadence February 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

February is my runniversary as well (the end of the month) along with my real birthday! I started training 2 years ago for the Marine Corp Half Marathon they hold in May here in VA with my sister. It was her idea to do it and needed someone else to do it with her (a motivator really). I hadn’t run probably in close to 5 years and I liked running for fun and for exercise! Training went well my sister and I always did the long runs together on the weekends because weekdays were a little hectic (I am a stay at home Mom and she’s a working Mom) so it was always nice to have time together with her. Half way through training I found out I was pregnant but I continued forward and did my first half marathon in 2:11 and was about 3-4 months pregnant! Since then I’ve done two 5K’s, two more half marathons, and just recently participated in the Krispy Kreme Challenge in North Carolina! And I can’t wait to go to San Francisco to do my 1st MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Mica February 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Look at how far you’ve come since you started running! Amazing!

I don’t actually have a runniversary. I don’t even really remember when I started–it was some time around mid-March.

31. Running 365 February 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

Happy Runniversary! You make me feel like such a slacker because I’ve been running for the last decade and am no where near as fast or dedicated as you! Celebrate with pride!

32. Sarah February 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Happy Runniversary! I stumbled across your blog – through ChicRunner, I think? – not long after your first marathon. I love reading your blog and following your training. Congrats on all your accomplishments so far – and watch out Boston!

33. Roisin February 11, 2011 at 4:38 am #

I do celebrate mine! I trained for my first 5K in October of 2006 with CARA in Chicago and it took me 36 minutes to finish! I met the CES training group people after the race and started training for my first half marathon, and the rest is history!

Congratulations! More miles to go…

34. lindsay February 11, 2011 at 8:40 am #

happy runniversary! crazy how much things can grow and change in 3 short years :)

35. d.a.r. February 11, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Happy runniversary!! What a special day :)

36. Jen February 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Aww happy belated runniversary Aron! How awesome you remember the first day you started marathon training. One year, you need to run a race on your runniversary :)

1. Giveaway: The San Francisco Marathon | runner's rambles - February 10, 2011

[...] February is always a big deal around runner’s rambles with my runniversary yesterday and my blog’s birthday next [...]

2. Boston Training: Week 7 | runner's rambles - April 5, 2011