Three years ago today…
- I ran my very first mile of my first marathon training.
- I had never run more than 3 miles at a time.
- I had no idea what tempo, BQ, VO2, or really any running terms meant. I didn’t really know there were running terms.
- I had no idea if I could run 26.2 miles, I had a hard time fathoming 10.
- I would have never imagined that I would be training for the Boston Marathon.
- I had no idea what a huge impact running would have on my life.
- My life changed for the very best.
I still can’t believe it’s been three full years since that day.
If you don’t know my story, I actually hated running but had a marathon on my bucket list for some reason. As a new years resolution type thing, I decided to sign up for a charity program to train for one. I was bored in my workout routine and needed a new challenge, so I took a leap of faith and went to the meeting that day to kick off my marathon training. One little mile started it all.
I have learned so much about running and about myself in those three years and I cannot imagine what I would be doing now without it. Running has become such a huge part of my life now and has introduced me to the most amazing people and community. I am very, very lucky to have found it.
Tara and Kristin both embarked on this same journey that same day, which is how we all met! So we all share the same runniversary, I guess it would be considered the anniversary of our friendship as well. I still am so thankful that they just happened to have the same goals that year and were enticed by the same fundraising option. Both girls have truly made my life better and I am so grateful to have them as some of my best friends.
So here I am 3 years later, still running. This is by far the longest I have stuck to a routine or workout program without some sort of extended break. Running and me just click. I can’t imagine not running and I can’t wait to see what I have going on in another 3 years!
Do you celebrate your runniversary?