Running in the Rain

rain2

I may not have the best tips for running in the cold weather, but after the last few months (which have been the wettest months I have seen in a long time in California), I have learned a thing or two about running in the rain. Looking at the forecast, it appears I have more rainy runs in my near future.

Here are a few tips about making it through a rainy run unscathed!

fridaynights

Check the temperature

Just because it’s raining doesn’t mean its cold.  Actually, at least around here, it’s often the opposite.  The rain makes the air thicker and more humid and the temperatures actually rise.  Once you are running, you get warmed up quick and I have been too warm many a time on a raining run.  Check the temperatures and plan your outfits accordingly.

Wicking

Cotton is not fun when it’s wet.  It hurts, it chafes, its heavy and it doesn’t dry therefore leaving you very cold.  Especially on rainy runs, try to wear something with wicking fabric to help keep you a tad dry and keep the chaffing away.

178945_1787670573585_1294178028_32064337_6165169_n

Water proof

I have invested in a couple of windbreaker/rain jackets that are perfect for running in the rain.  They aren’t too thick so you can wear something suitable underneath for the weather that day, but it also helps to keep your dry.

Windbreaker vests are my new very favorite thing, especially for rainy runs.  They keep your core warm but let your arms breathe as much as they need to depending on the day.

Dress in layers

Since I have gotten too warm on rainy runs I have learned to dress in layers that I can easily carry.  Whether it’s arm warmers I can take off, a long sleeve I can tie around my waste, or even gloves I can shed easily, being able to take off a layer helps immensely once you are warmed up.

Body glide

When you are wet and running for a long period of time, things chafe that have never chafed before.  After one of my 20 milers in the rain I had a chaffed ring around my whole stomach from my capri tights I was wearing.  I have never chafed there before, but some reason on that day, my skin was not happy.

On rainy days I am very liberal with the body glide.  I cover my feet, I get all the areas I can think of on me, and if I forget I definitely pay for it later.

rain

Wear a hat

Keeping water out of my eyes is key on rainy days.  A hat or visor helps the rain stay off my face and keeps the water out of my eyes.  Although there are days when the rain is sidewise or the wind blows it at you, most of the time a hat helps tremendously.

013011.1

Post run

Bring a full change of warm clothes if you have to drive somewhere after.  There is nothing worse than the combination of stopping running, cooling down and being soaked, you get cold so fast!  Change your clothes, drink something warm and get your body warmed up as fast you as you can again.

IMG_3481a

Always have fun

If you are going to be out running around like a crazy person in the rain, at least have some fun with it.  I always feel like I am a little kid out running and skipping in puddles.  It’s actually one of my favorite times to head out the door!

And don’t forget to keep your eyes open, you never know what you might see.

05.17.10 Laf Res Run 025

Do you like running in the rain?  Do you have any additional tips for rainy runs?

, ,

26 Responses to Running in the Rain

1. emz February 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

love this post.

I do love running in the rain [never happens though....wait until race day. ;) ]

Loving the post run photo.

awesome.

2. janice February 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

You are so adorable. Love the picks. I had a rainy run this motning. There was a break in the lightening and thunder, but still rainy. Loved it.

3. Karyn February 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

get your feet wet / soaked IMMEDIATELY! it helps so much rather than trying to avoid it and then getting angry over it hahah.

4. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad February 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I enjoy running in the rain! Throw in a little mud too and I’m a happy girl!

Body Glide is a must! And I agree with Karyn about getting your feet wet immediately…it’ll happen sooner or later!

5. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy February 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Cute pics, Aron! I think layers and vests are awesome! My vest is a nice extra layer of comfort to have just in case it gets craptastic out without making me feel overheated. A hat is also a key to keeping me happy on wet runs.

6. Jess February 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

It depends on the rain. Light drizzles don’t bother me; tropical downpours and accompanying lighening are scary and I avoid running in them.

7. Jesse February 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

i like running in the rain if its a little drizzle or light rain, but not heavy rain or windy rain. sideways rain is just not fun and it hurts when it hits your face! my #1 advice for rain running you already listed — wearing a hat :)

8. Shortskirts February 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

living in seattle you have to run in the rain. It’s not my favorite but we make due. An early and amazing investment was my REI windproof waterproof sport shell, which is perfect for bad weather.

This Sunday was particularly bad though with rain and heavy winds and it was cold. But weirdly enough it pushed me to run harder. I think I just didn’t want to be outside.

9. J February 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

I love running in the summer rain – not the winter rain cause it gets cold! Just this morning I skipped my morning run cause it was raining and cold.

10. Sonja February 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Question… what to do to keep your feet from getting wet??? I know, avoid puddles… but sometimes it happens before you realize it! Also, we have had all this wet, slushy snow here in Utah, and it’s almost ruined two of my long runs… wet shoes are MISERABLE. Looking for any ideas!

• Aron February 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

If I know my feet are going to get wet I dont even bother skipping puddles and just get them soaked to start off with, that way I am not avoiding them :) not much else to offer there, I think wet shoes just come with the territory. I don’t know anything about slush though – that sounds cold!

• Aron February 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Oh and I just make sure to put a lot of body glide on my feet to try and avoid blisters.

11. katie February 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

i actually love running in the rain! i think that makes me weird. oh, and i almost never chafe, except if my ipod is clipped to my pants and rubs on my tummy. no idea why.

12. Carlee February 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

I like running in the rain as long as I bring a change of clothes. When I run with TEAM, I am about an hour away from home and if that drive is a wet one, the fun memories fade too fast!

13. Nicole February 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

In high school running in the rain meant mud. However i only run on pavement now so i guess it just means wet. Which isnt near as bad as mud… so i guess its okay… that said, anything is better than seveal feet of snow so ill run in a BIG rain storm!

14. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef February 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

i don’t mind running in the rain, as long as it isn’t freezing. i’m anticipating a couple of rainy runs this week and next… so i’ll def use your tips :)

15. The Laminator March 1, 2011 at 4:15 am #

Great rain run tips, Aron!

16. Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 1, 2011 at 5:54 am #

I love running when it’s sprinkling out because it feels so refreshing. Although, I live in hot weather, so I don’t need layers…almost ever. So when I run in the rain, it’s usually just me, a hat, a pair of shorts, and a tank top.

And then I usually put my iPod in a ziploc bag and clip it to me so I can still listen to music. :-)

17. James March 1, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Running in the rain during the summer is great, at this time of the year, it’s miserable!

18. Marlene March 1, 2011 at 6:27 am #

I love a good summer rainy run! Wouldn’t be so much fun around here now, but these are some great tips! The hat is key for me too. I hate water dripping down my face and in my eyes,

19. Naomi March 1, 2011 at 6:36 am #

after running the portland marathon in the rain, i have to say you gave me the best advice – body glide my feet – i had no blistering or chafing at all. i would also say that if the temperatures aren’t too cold, don’t overdress. having too much clothes on will only drag you down and make things feel heavy. i made a last minute decision to run in shorts and a light short-sleeved top which turned out to be the best decision – didn’t feel bogged down at all.

20. Rachel March 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

great tips! i love running in the rain, unless it’s a total monsoon!

21. Glenn Jones March 6, 2011 at 8:05 am #

I’m so behind with my reading list. Sorry for the late comment. What do you do to dry out your shoes afterwards?I read somewhere about breaking down the cushioning if you heat the shoes (blow dryer, etc.).

• Aron March 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Newspaper!!! It’s not immediate but if you shove newspaper in your shoes they dry out MUCH faster.

22. Necia May 17, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Very cute! Im going to have to invest in some waterproof garments, and the hat advice is genius! I too, felt like a kid running yesterday in the light drizzle. It was a nice feeling! Very carefree!

1. Running vests | runner's rambles - March 2, 2011

[...] my post on running in the rain, I received a couple questions about which vests I have and would recommend.  They have [...]