Running Capris

I realized the other day that I have quite a few pairs of running capris/cropped pants that I rotate between on a weekly basis.

Honestly when it comes to running clothes what don’t I have a lot of?  Hello my name is Aron and I’m a runningclothesaholic.

I definitely have certain ones I prefer for certain workouts, but really they all have great things going for them!  I thought it could be helpful to do a comparison of all my favorites.

(For length comparison, I am 5’6” and my legs are pretty long.)

RoadRunner Sports

11_12_09_1

Name: RRS Velocity Capri Tight
Price: $35.99 with VIP discount
Pros: Overall value and comfort

I reviewed these tights way back when and I still wear them very frequently.  Although they might not be my “go to” tight anymore for speed or long runs, I wear them for my other runs all the time and wouldn’t hesitate to wear them for a long run if I needed to.

They come down mid calf and will ride up to your knee a bit depending on where they hit your legs, but nothing you would really notice or be bothered by during a run.  They have a pocket on the back with no zipper, but I haven’t had a problem with things falling out.  They are vented behind the knees and are a perfect middle ground for keeping me warm but not hot.

At only $35.99 with a VIP discount, they are a great value.  I have had mine for over a year now and they are still in great shape.

Nike

CIM 220c

January 031a

Name: Nike Tech Women’s Running Capri
Price: Originally $55, currently on sale for $43.97
Pros: Comfort, fabric & back pocket

I bought these to wear for CIM this year and it was the first time I have not worn shorts in a marathon.  I ended up regretting that because I was too warm in them, but that is a different story for a different day (how to dress for races).

I have worn these in many long runs over the last few months and have never had a problem with them.  They are not very thick, so I never get too warm (except in the race), have ventilation behind the knees and a zipper pocket on the back.  They are shorter than the RRS pants, but hit me at a comfortable spot.  I get a ton of use out of these and would definitely buy them again.

Lucy

blog 071

Name: Lucy Propel Knee Pant
Price: $58
Pros: Comfort, waist band and back pocket

I bought these when Lucy was having their 20% off anniversary sale.  I had been wanting to try them out for a very long time and figured that was a better time than any!

These are very comfortable, and I would say are the thickest fabric out of the 4 on this post, so keep you the warmest, but still not too warm.  They have a thicker waistband which I really like and a bigger zipper pocket in the back.  They are probably in between the RRS and Nike capris in length and also hit in a great spot that doesn’t bother my legs.

I have worn these for several long runs, many speed workouts and lots of easy runs too.   I would definitely buy these again as well.

lululemon

SFMT 1b

Kristin and I are both in them below.
232734894a

Name: Run Inspire Crop
Price: $86*
Pros: Comfort, large back pocket, small fuel pockets, length and waist band

These crops are amazing.  I had tried to avoid anything lululemon for a while for my bank accounts sake, but was given these pants as part of my involvement with running the lululemon Run Club.  I can see why people pay a lot of money for them, I definitely would.

These are the longest out of all the pants and would probably be pretty long on someone who was shorter than me.  They have a very large zipper pocket in the back that can fit my camera or even my iPhone without the case and it doesn’t move either!  They also have little pockets around the waste band to hold Gu, or whatever you might choose to put in them.  They are the perfect combination of thin and thick, not making you too hot but keeping you warm enough.

They haven’t been tested out on a long run or a speed workout just yet, but they will be very soon.  I had nothing but good things to say after my runs I did do in them.  These are definitely worth saving your dollars for if you want quality over quantity.

Do you have a favorite running capri/crop?  Have you run in any of the ones above?

Thank you for all the get well messages, I think they worked!  Looks like it was some sort of terrible 24 hour bug.  Thank goodness it was only 24 hours because I don’t know if I could have stood it any longer!

*These pants were given to me at no cost in exchange for my time and involvement with the lululemon Run Club and as part of their research and development program.  I was not asked to review them on the blog, but really wanted to because I love them that much!

, , , ,

34 Responses to Running Capris

1. Naomi February 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

i have nike’s but the lulu’s are always my favs, however, i have wondered about lucy’s. thanks for the review! unfortunately for me, there is no such thing as capris…the capris are full length for me.

2. Kerrie @ Mom vs. Marathon February 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

This came at the perfect time. My capris just busted a seam! So I am in need of some new running pants. Thanks!

3. Jo Lynn February 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Those Lululemon ones would be so long on me, I’d have to tuck them into my shoe! ;)

• Chelsie September 8, 2013 at 6:22 am #

Lulu offers free hemming in stores!

4. Nicole February 2, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

I neeeeeed lululemon crops!!!!!

They look great on you!!!

5. Aysha February 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Lululemon hems free of charge! I am only 5’3″ and have quite a few of their pants and always get them hemmed.

Love your blog!

• Aron February 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Yes!!! Thank you for the reminder :)

6. Rachel February 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

oh, running capris. i’m usually a nike tempo girl but this winter i was all about the capris…so much better than a full length tight! my current faves are nike and brooks : ) i need more though because i cycle through these way too fast!

7. heather February 3, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Glad you’re feeling better! I love capris. My fave pair is an adidas Supernova capri that’s 3 years old now, has been worn and washed hundreds of times, and shows 0 signs of wear. I envy you runners in the US for your large selection of chic athletic gear shops! Love Lucy’s and lulu, but don’t get there very often. Anyway, I am rambling here – just wanted to say YAY for feeling healthy again. And yay capris.

8. Carlee February 3, 2011 at 2:26 am #

I love my CW-X tights for shorter races and any speed work. I wore them in a Winter marathon in Cape Cod last year as well!

9. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 3, 2011 at 3:31 am #

Glad you are feeling better!

10. J February 3, 2011 at 4:18 am #

I have a pair from target that I like but they are wearing out. Brian got me some under armour capris for Christmas – one is a regular pair and the other is a base layer. I have worn the base layer for running and skiing under my longer spandex and they have worked great for extra warmth! Can’t wait until it get warmer and I can wear capris again!

11. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad February 3, 2011 at 5:17 am #

Thanks for the review. I’ve been wanting to buy a pair of capris for awhile but had no idea where to begin. I love Lululemon so I may start there first!

12. Lindsey February 3, 2011 at 7:29 am #

While I don’t have a favorite pair of capris/tights, I definitely prefer them over shorts! I used to wear shorts all the time and since my first run in capris I haven’t looked back!

13. Celia February 3, 2011 at 7:36 am #

I love love my lulu capris but they are actually so long on me that i wear them as pants!! LOL

• Aron February 3, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I was reminded lulu hems them for free!

14. Joanne February 3, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Hey! We’re built the same way with the same obsession: RUNNING CLOTHES! That seems to be all I buy now.
    I like New Balance Shorts. Saucony Running Shoes. A variety of tops. Because of the weather here, it’s either shorts or its long running pants/tights. Very rarely anything in between.
    Great post! Love the clothes modelling. :)

15. Laura February 3, 2011 at 8:26 am #

I LOVE my Nike capris. They are def my fav capris. I have a pair of lulu’s but I don’t like the drawstring – I am constantly hiking my drawers up…

16. AR February 3, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Believe it or not, the Target C9 capris are probably my favorite. I’ve yet to find a pair that fit better, and they have a HUGE pocket in the back that can fit a phone/keys/and a gel! They’re a bit shorter than most too, which might not work so well for you (as I’m 5’2″ with really short legs) though. Heh.

17. Roisin February 3, 2011 at 8:38 am #

I dig my nike capris. I’ve even worn them to kickboxing and body blitz at the gym, too!

18. Nancy February 3, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Thank you so much for this review! I have been wearing the same Nike capris since God knows when…we’re talking holes are forming! I have been meaning to look into buying a new pair and so you’ve taken the guess work out of it for me!! How sweet of you!

19. Tall Mom February 3, 2011 at 9:06 am #

Capris are the best.. I have a few pairs and wear them often.. wow $86!!!

glad you are on the mend

20. Marlene February 3, 2011 at 9:11 am #

I can’t wait til I can wear capri/crops again!!! I only have a couple of pairs and need more for sure, although out “capri” season is short. it seems to go from pants to shorts to pants again. Booo…

I’ll have to try a pair of those lulu’s, though! I was recently converted to theri running gear! LOVE!

21. Mile Posts February 3, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I love love love my Saucony’s. The name is the Saucony Ignite Tight Capri After having worked for two running apparel companies[that will remain nameless ;)] and trying countless other brands while wear testing I can honestly say these are my favorites.

22. Jess February 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

I only have two pairs of running “bottoms” that aren’t shorts and they’re both from Target. I don’t have much need to invest in high quality ones since I rarely use the ones I have!

23. Jackie February 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

No capris for me. I live in Iowa and we go straight from tights to shorts and back again. Sometimes in the same week! I would give away my dog (almost) to be able to run in capris right now… Another issue with capris is my cows, as my calves are too big to be called that! I might have to try a pair this spring so thanks for the review!

24. Karyn February 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

i have some capris but i never feel comfy running in them. i like to use them for XT and just lounging hahah

25. That Pink Girl February 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

I wear capris a lot…because my legs are SHORT to go with SHORT me! And usually, they hit me much closer to my ankles than below my knees! :o)

26. Lizzy February 3, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

I love Capri’s – they are my favorite! My favorite pair are Nike’s that I got like 5 years ago and they have a side pocket thats HUGE instead of on the butt (which I still dont get why the pocket is there?!) I love my Nike side pocket capris because I can keep everything in there. fuel, my ipod, money… it rocks!

27. Kristen February 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

I love capris for running. My favourites are my Lululemon “Run:Zoom” which I don’t think they make anymore, but I’ll be checking out the new models this spring once the snow melts :)

Thanks for the reviews!

28. Jessica February 5, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Thanks for the capri review. I’m thinking of purchasing a pair for my half in April.

29. the dawn February 5, 2011 at 11:52 am #

i just got some under armor compression capris because i wanted something that hit just below the knee. and i love them. they are really light weight and smooth. they don’t have pockets…which is the only draw back. since its deep into winter here i haven’t worn them much…but i love them when i do.

30. Arturo March 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this
    blog before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it’s new
    to me. Anyways, I’m definitely pleased I discovered it
    and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

1. My Running Essentials: The Clothes | runner's rambles - April 4, 2011

[...] Obsessed.  Although they have pretty much been put away for now since spring arrived, I love both these tights and will be very much looking forward to taking them out of their hibernation!  Check out my other favorites in my running capris review. [...]