Foodie Friday: All about time

I used to do Friday Favorites on a weekly basis and then I took a break from those, but I have been thinking about getting back to a weekly topic on that order.

After my "Foodie for a day" post I received a lot of great feedback and interest in that topic, so I am going to devote some Fridays to food for a while to see how it goes!  Especially since food seems to be very important to most of us runners… I mean isn’t it one of the reasons you run?  I know it is for me.

I have some ideas on some different topics to post within this weekly post to keep it interesting (a "bad" day, post long run, I have no time to cook day, etc), but if you have any suggestions, ideas or if there is something you want to know, definitely send them my way.

This week is all about time and not having a lot of it.

Honestly, when it comes to cooking the biggest limitation I have is time.  I don’t have a lot of it so I don’t like to waste it standing in the kitchen.   I would much rather be doing something else.

So what do I do on those days where time is a crunch and I still want to stay healthy and eat enough to make up those marathon training calories?

Breakfast

My pretty standard breakfast is oatmeal.  It only takes about 3 minutes to cook in the microwave and I can either cook it while grabbing stuff out of the refrigerator for my lunch or while putting my makeup on.  It’s all about multi-tasking on these days!  Add some granola and you have a good sized breakfast.

Blog 014

On days when time is really limited, I will just bring the whole box of granola with me to work so I am not wasting time measuring it out or putting it into containers.

I make sure to grab a bunch of stuff from home to have at work.  Sometimes I just throw food in my bag.

Apples, bananas, yogurt are all easy things to grab that don’t take any prep time.

Blog 015

I typically have my yogurt and granola as my morning snack.

Lunch

I try to make sure to get at least one thing from the store on the weekend to satisfy my “I don’t have time to make lunch today” days and Trader Joes has some great options.  I just try to check the ingredients to make sure there isn’t a whole lot of preservatives or weird things in it.  If I don’t know what the ingredient is, I try to stay away from it.

One of my go to fast lunch items is soup.  No prep required and you can just grab it from the fridge, put it in your bag, and microwave it when you get to work.  I try to avoid canned soups because the sodium makes my stomach mad, but the ones in the refrigerated section work great for me.  If you have some bread or crackers to add to it, then that adds some more substance to the soup.

This claims it’s 2.5 servings but I eat the whole thing.

soup

Snacks

Afternoon snacks include all or some of the following depending on the day: zbar, apple, banana, string cheese, almonds.

Blog 030

I keep a can of almonds at my desk for days I need an extra snack and also try to resupply other things at the beginning of each week so I am not carting stuff around every single day.  I bring all my bars to work on Mondays and restock any random things I might keep in my desk.

Dinner

One of my go to fast dinners are egg tacos or burritos.

Protein: check.  Carbs: check.  Fat: check. Vegetables: check.

Blog 062

Typically I scramble about 3 eggs which takes barely any time, warm up a couple of corn tortillas, add some cheese and some salsa.  If I have extra time I will sauté some vegetables to go in there too, but the point of this dinner is to be fast.

You can also add beans for extra protein or some avocado for extra healthy fat.  This can definitely be a bigger or smaller dinner calorie wise based on what you put in it, so mine varies based on how much running I have done that day and surrounding days.

But seriously, it only takes a few minutes!

Other snacks

I typically will have other snacks throughout the night as well, depending on the day of running.  A brown rice cake with peanut butter or an apple with peanut butter are some examples of my night time snacks.  I’m always eating!

None of these items took more than 5 minutes to make and are relatively healthy, fresh and convenient!

What are some of your go to items for fast meals?

I am currently at RRCA coaching training!  So excited to be here and can’t wait to share with you guys what I learn.

24 Responses to Foodie Friday: All about time

1. JoLynn February 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

I never thought of the eggs for the tacos/burritos. Thanks! I usually do black beans while hubby does ground beef. ;)

2. Tina (MightyMite Runner) February 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

great snack ideas. I started carrying snacks like zbars, bags of almonds and corn chex (darn that gluten allergy) in my purse otherwise I spend a fortune when I’m running errands just to get my calories in. today I should have stopped by Chipotle for me burito bowl fix considering my 14 mile run is tomorrow. EEK! I can’t wait to hear about training (are you tired of hearing me say that yet?)

3. Nitmos February 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Minestrone! It’s been awhile…I think I need some Minestrone. Good day.

4. Kim February 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Neat post. I like seeing a whole day’s worth of healthy food. It inspires me to think I could do it too. Now, I’m hungry and must go eat a hard boiled egg. Do you eat those too?

• Aron February 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Definitely!!! I love putting them in my salad.

5. Jamie aka heatrunner February 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Unfortunately some of my go-to items are super unhealthy! Actually, it’s pretty hard to be healthy when you’re in college. I eat a lot of ramen (that’s a college given), tv dinners, etc. When I graduate, I plan on improving the way I eat. It’s very important to us runners and I’m sad I can’t be more decisive with what I eat!

6. Average A February 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

I love the idea of Foodie Friday! I hope you keep it up; it’s very interesting to see and gives us all new ideas for ways to branch out of our current habits. :)

7. Sonja February 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

Just ate some delicious minestrone and french bread for dinner. YUM! Your post reminds me of myself, especially during marathon training. I feel like I am ALWAYS eating!

8. Jessica February 4, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Yay! Im loving that people are posting what they eat.

9. lifestudent February 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

Um, today I ate like a 2 lb bag of Reeses mini cups, some buffalo flavored pretzels, and peanut butter and chocolate icecream (not to mention the mcdonalds I had for breakfast). Thats what happens when I’m on the run all day and just grab crap to eat.

Your post made me feel even guiltier than I already do!

10. Naomi February 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

i *really* liked this post a lot! i like how you keep food stocked at work. i usually lug everything with me back and forth every day. lately i’ve been eating hummus or greek yogurt with cucumbers and carrots. my nutritionist suggested mixing the greek yogurt with a package of ranch dressing mix. sounds odd, but i like it a lot.

11. Rachel February 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

soup has been my go-to for lunches lately (ok honestly, almost every day!). it’s just so easy and i feel like it covers all my nutritional bases : ) have you ever tried Amy’s brand soups? all vegetarian, delish, and most are pretty low in sodium, too.

12. Nancy February 5, 2011 at 4:09 am #

I love Trader Joe’s! Em and I wandered around there the other day! As long as I have a good snack for her to nibble on I’m golden!

13. Marlene February 5, 2011 at 5:06 am #

I love this post and your idea for a food series!! I am getting all kinds of ideas already.

I love making a big omelet with toast for a fast dinner, and I am guilty of just having cereal for dinner if I am really busy or lazy.

Go-to snacks are pretty much the same as yours – apples, bananas, almonds, yogurt, granola bars. I also love hard boiled eggs.

Hope you’re having a great time at the coaching course!

14. Susan - Nurse on the Run February 5, 2011 at 11:09 am #

I like the egg taco idea! I’m going to have to put that into action…

Can’t wait to hear about the coaching class….I’m sad there aren’t any near me!

15. Demi February 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Love Trader Joe’s! You’ve got some great ideas! Tupperware/Gladware has become my friend since I started eating better for my running, that’s for sure!

16. Jess February 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

I love scrambled egg dinners. Do you and Chris usually make separate dinners?

• Aron February 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

It kind of just depends on our schedules for that day. If we are both home and eating at the same time, we will make the base together and then he adds meat.

17. Shutupandrun February 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

So wish we had Trader Joes in CO. I just don’t get it. Such a market here for that stuff.

Eggs are also my go-to meal. Lately I’ve been frying an egg or two, warming up a toritlla and layering pinto beans, eggs, cheese, salsa or green chili and avocado.

Getting some good ideas from you. Never thought about granola in the oatmeal!! Although i do trail mix sometimes.

18. Nicole February 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

I love this idea for posts! For snacks, I like hard-boiled eggs, melted cheese on triscuits (balsamic and basil are good), tuna, cheese-strings, fruit and granola bars. Having a four year old in school means I’ve always got snacky things in the house, I just need to be selective.

19. Heather February 6, 2011 at 6:38 am #

I love grilled cheese and soup for a quick meal – tuna melt is another great one.

Savory oatmeal, mac and cheese with some added veggies….I am a big fan of quick meals!

1. Foodie Friday: saved by Trader Joes | runner's rambles - February 11, 2011

[...] I thought I needed the time savers last week I was sadly mistaken.  This week has been full of late nights at work, followed by errand [...]

2. Foodie Friday: hungry | runner's rambles - February 25, 2011

[...] available when I am on an eating rampage like this week and I to go to those first.  I keep fast options available for the days I don’t have a lot of time to cook, so I try to go to a more well balanced [...]

3. Foodie Friday: this week | runner's rambles - May 12, 2011

[...] week I had egg tacos for dinner, twice.  They are so fast and have lots of good things in them, I can’t resist when I am [...]