The Story of Kylie and Emma

One of the first comments I got when I requested post topics was from my good friend and bride-to-be Nicole and she wanted to know everything about Kylie and Emma!  So to break up the constant running talk you find here, I will write about my girls and post a ton of pictures too.

May 2010 089

For those that are very new to this site and might not know who Kylie and Emma are, they are my children dogs.  These girls are spoiled beyond belief, are best friends to each other and best friends to me too.  They have taught me so many lessons that I never realized I would learn from a dog.

521541858605

Dogs have an unconditional love.  They are always happy to see you.  They always want to go with you.  They ALWAYS want to run, no matter where, how far, how fast, they just want to run.  I love these pups so much.

May 2010 087

Chris and I got married in 2006 and were living in an apartment at the time.  We decided to buy a house and once we did the first thing on the list was to get a puppy!  One of the reasons we wanted a house so bad was to get a dog, so even before we moved in we started looking for puppies.  We found a litter of Rottweiler puppies (which is what Chris had his heart set on) and we went and visited them when they were only a couple weeks old.  They could barely open their eyes and were so tiny and adorable… I wanted to take them all home that very minute!

On her way home
867731872605

We were semi-patient and waited a few weeks, but the first weekend we moved into our house we drove over to pick up our new little puppy.  We hadn’t picked which puppy was going to be ours yet, but we got first pick out of the litter of 8.  Kylie was the biggest and the bossiest, not to mention the cutest, and just what Chris wanted in a dog.  She came home with us that day, only 6 weeks old and 8 pounds.

107751872605

Kylie met our cats (who were bigger than she was at the time) and everyone got along.  Both Chris and I come from 2 dog households and always knew we wanted another dog too, but we figured we had our hands full with one puppy for the time being and we enjoyed our little rottie puppy.

508951872605

Although we had one at home, I couldn’t help but look for another puppy that just might happen to be out there.  Chris had "his" puppy and I knew I wanted mine sometime soon.  I had a yellow lab growing up and have always loved those dogs and knew that’s what I wanted as "my" dog.

One night I found an ad for a yellow lab puppy, so I nervously emailed the lady and we ended up exchanging a few emails back and forth.  She had one female yellow lab left, all the rest of her litter had already been adopted, but she didn’t want to just give her to anyone.  She wanted a house with a yard and with good people, she had already turned people down.  I told her we had a puppy already and rather than think we were psycho for wanting another puppy, she thought that was the best thing ever!  We went to her house on a Thursday night, 4 weeks after we had picked up Kylie and met this little yellow lab.

507688666305

She loved to play, she was already fetching, she was a big girl and had a lot of energy.  I loved her immediately and we decided we would take her home with us, how could I say no to these yes?

589709666305

But she didn’t have a name just yet.

118539666305

We now had two puppies… Kylie who was 10 weeks old and Emma who was just shy of 9 weeks.

The introduction
183378666305

They met each other that night and became best friends instantly.  It took me a while to name Emma though, every name I had picked out prior to meeting her just didn’t fit.  I kept looking through lists of names and nothing was "her" until I pulled up a baby name list and saw Emma on there.  If there was ever a dog that was supposed to be named Emma, it was her.

Best friends from day one
450421676305

Since then, we have watched our little tiny puppies turn into 100+ pound adult dogs who definitely still act like puppies sometimes.  Although having two puppies at the same time was a lot of work, it was also really great since they were going through the same stages at the same time and they helped train each other.

355151872605

875741872605

Kylie is a bossy protective big loving puppy.  She likes to pretend she is tough but she loves to give kisses more and refuses to stop sometimes.  She is a big cuddle bear, can be very hyper, has the cutest "down" ever and can jump really high!  She waits for Emma to get the ball in fetch and then takes it from Emma and runs back holding her head super high and proud.  She prances when she runs with high stepping front paws.  Her "butt tail" moves so fast when she gets excited.  She is definitely a special dog and you know that when you meet her.

771893808305

emma10_08_09

Emma is a crazy excited dog who jumps and howls and sprints around the second you get home, yet calms down to a nap 2 minutes later.  She knows what time it is and will never let you forget to feed her.  She is the fastest eating dog I have ever seen, I often wonder what would happen if she was placed in a situation with an entire bag of dog food, but I really never ever want to find out.  She is a fast runner, loves to play fetch and loves to play fetch in the water even more.  She splashes all her water out of her bowl in the summer with her paws and can jump on the bed in the middle of the night without me knowing.  She hates to sleep alone and wants to be touching you when she sleeps, but don’t dare move or she will get fussy.

ke1

They have had many adventures together and apart.  They both have graduated puppy class and obedience school.  Emma has completed multiple levels of agility training.  Both are great running partners and even know how to run on the treadmill!  They know how to play hard and relax hard too, and are just great dogs in general.

Picture 008

When I get stressed, annoyed, frustrated or unmotivated, I always try to remind myself to see the world from a dog’s eyes and love like a dog loves.  Simple, happy, unconditional, and the best friends you could ask for.

709017472605

, , ,

61 Responses to The Story of Kylie and Emma

1. Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Cute dogs! I have a golden retriever! He is a handful…

2. Alex January 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

What a nice story! They were both such adorable puppies.

You should write (and post pictures) more about your cats for all of us cat people!

• Aron January 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Ok! I will do a post on them next week :)

3. Adrienne January 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

I love the puppy pictures….. there is no cuteness better than puppies. However, as adults, dogs just are the best companions

4. Rene January 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Thanks for sharing your baby pics! They are adorable!

5. Angie January 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

Oh my goodness!!!! Your puppies are so sweet looking!! I have a yellow lab too, Lucy, who I ADORE. I wish that I had 2 doggies though –you are living my dream! :) Those two look like they have a lot of fun together! :)

6. brandi January 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

Awwwwwwwwe! I could not stop smiling while reading the entire post. Pups are the greatest creation on earth! That pic of Emma with her paws in her bowl was flippin adorable. Heck, they all are. I have pics of my pups (Chevy, a St Bernard, and Bella, a shitzu/poodle) in frames everywhere around the house.

I think this is my first commect cuz normally I read your blog for speed/training tips. I am a bit of a slowster.

7. Carrie January 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Awwwh! I love this post!! Kylie and Emma are adorable – thanks for putting up so many cute pictures and their story! :) I want a puppy sooooo bad.
    We should totally meet up at Big Sur! I read your race report and am more excited than ever to run it. I think it’s amazing that you’re doing the Boston to Big Sur Challenge – you’re so speedy and inspiring!

• Aron January 13, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Did you watch the slideshow too? It was on the next post I think – BEAUTIFUL race!

8. Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Nice post about your dogs. I have a puppy at home (10-ish weeks, had him since 7/8 weeks, Lab mix), and right now, I need some encouragement that he will eventually settle down. His housebreaking isn’t the greatest, and when I’m training him (to sit, down, etc.), he keeps snapping at my hand for treats and snaps a lot in general to the point you can hear it. I hope my puppy can behave before he gets big.

• Aron January 13, 2011 at 7:20 am #

YES he will get there, he is still a baby and it definitely takes a lot of work and time. I don’t think the girls were fully housebroken for a few months and it took a while with the sit, down, etc too. Kylie was faster than Emma so it just depends on the dog too. Enjoy your baby puppy time now when they are cute enough to get away with anything ;)

9. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair January 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

Omg I LOVE this post, Aron! I think it’s soooo cool you guys got 2 puppies like that and that picture of them cuddling together is ADORABLE!

We are currently trying to buy a house and, like you guys, one of the FIRST things we’re going to do is get a dog!! Lol

10. Toronto Girl West January 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Puppy love all the way! :)

11. Jim Weatherly January 13, 2011 at 3:59 am #

Man, those pups are beautiful … love the pic’s of when they were puppies!

12. abbi January 13, 2011 at 4:18 am #

From another dog lover, loved the story of Kylie and Emma.

13. J January 13, 2011 at 4:53 am #

They were so cute as puppies!! I love the picture of them cuddling! That is so adorable!

14. Laura January 13, 2011 at 5:00 am #

LOVE this! I miss my dog so much.

15. Jaime January 13, 2011 at 5:54 am #

They are so adorable! I just love dogs!! :)

16. Lauren January 13, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Ohmygosh…this post seriously just melted my heart!! This is so cute. I love that they are best friends. And you can post about your pups anytime! I seriously love all of those pictures. :)

I think dogs add so much to our lives. I wanted one for such a long time that I finally moved out of an apartment with a bunch of roommates I liked because it didn’t allow dogs (maybe crazy, haha). Then when my mom’s cousin had boxer puppies, I made an 8 hour drive to Western PA just so I could take one of those little guys home. Raising a puppy is way more work than I thought it’d be, but it’s so worth it!

17. Naomi January 13, 2011 at 7:13 am #

at the risk of sounding cheesy, the stories of your pups made me tear. i could feel your love for them. then i had to call my family and “talk” to our own dog. they really are the best friends you could ever have. now i want to get one for myself!

18. Emily January 13, 2011 at 7:19 am #

holy puppy cuteness. I was actually talking to a friend this morning about what kind of dogs we want. My stipulations were: athletic, adorable and snuggly. I think your pups fit that!

19. Marlene January 13, 2011 at 7:37 am #

AWWWW! This post actually made me a little bit teary. Such a sweet tribute to two amazing dogs! They are as lucky to have you as you are to have them.

20. Joanne January 13, 2011 at 7:39 am #

My heart melted when I started reading this post. I’m such a dog lover and would love to have two dogs.
    Do you run with either Kylie or Emma or both on a frequent basis? How far do they go with you?
    I run with my German Shepherd everyday since I’m always out there in the dark. He’s a great partner but I’ve only taken him 10 miles and, even though he’s only 3, am not sure I want to tax his joints in doing any longer distance (we run the roads most of the time).

Dogs are so therapeutic, can’t imagine being without one.

21. Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run January 13, 2011 at 7:54 am #

Oh thanks for sharing Kylie and Emma’s story. They are adorable and can’t get over their puppy pics. I am a dog lover, but am insanely allergic, so I don’t think a puppy will ever be in the cards for us. But I would absolutely love to have a dog to go running with. I’ll live vicariously through you!

22. emz January 13, 2011 at 7:55 am #

those
    photos
    are
    the
    best!

Could not be any cuter.

Love them.

23. emz January 13, 2011 at 7:55 am #

AND

Happy
    Birthday eve, eve, eve. ;)

24. katie January 13, 2011 at 7:58 am #

I love this! I feel like having puppies has made me a better person, there is more love in our life and that can never be a bad thing. I love the story of your babies!! Don’t you sometimes wish they could stay tiny forever? But I love when my big Graham collapses half on top of me, he’s such a huffalump :)

25. Courtney January 13, 2011 at 8:23 am #

I love this post and your dogs are adorable. I grew up with a yellow lab/golden mix and my husband and I are new Rottie owners. Our girl Rosie is 14 weeks old and we could never in a million years have predicted how much we love her – we are obsessed and she is totally spoiled. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

26. Becky January 13, 2011 at 8:50 am #

I just can’t get enough of those adorable puppy faces :)

I got my dog in 2006 and we are inseparable. People try to remind me that she’s a dog, not a baby, but she will always be my baby! Dogs are special members of the family.

27. Kiley January 13, 2011 at 9:16 am #

You’re dogs are adorable, especially as puppies. Makes me want one REALLY bad! And your Rottweiler has a pretty sweet name!

28. lindsay January 13, 2011 at 10:07 am #

i looooooove all the puppy pictures. so cute! bff’s! love that :) you have the best dogs ever!

29. Kim January 13, 2011 at 10:48 am #

I absolutely LOVE your puppy post!!!!! I am dying to get a dog, and I’m also waiting until I own property before I do so. I love your comment about seeing the world through a dog’s eyes, it’s so true! Great post and I love your pups :)

30. Kristy January 13, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Adorable dogs! My husband and I call ourselves “those people with that dog”. We treat our dog just like a child :) He brings a smile to my face every day.

31. Kristen January 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Too cute! I love seeing other people’s dogs. Thank you for sharing their story! My dogs are the center of my world too and I can’t imagine my life without them.

32. Nicole January 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

oh my goodness… as if i couldn’t love them any more…. & i dont even know them! I need to come back to The Bay Area and spend time with you guys & your girls! I love doggies & think they make your life so much better! Brian and i are chomping at the bit to get a dog & cant WAIT to have our own!

Thank you so much for telling us all about your amazing little blessings! :) They are all sorts of cute!

33. Christine January 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

LOVE the post!!! Dogs are the most faithful animals and it amazes me that they are always happy and excited, no matter what. The puppy pictures are SOOOO adorable :)

34. Jo Lynn January 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

What cute pictures! ;)

35. Stacie January 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

What is it about dogs that just melt your heart?! They are adorable!!!

36. Denise January 14, 2011 at 5:05 am #

now you have to do a post about the kitties!!! it’s only fair!

37. d.a.r. January 14, 2011 at 7:24 am #

Aww this made me all teary eyed!

38. onelittletrigirl January 14, 2011 at 8:07 am #

We always had labs growing up and when I get my own house that is one of the first things on my list. You are so right…if only we saw the world from the perspective of a dog!

39. Jen January 14, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Aron! This post made me tear-up! They are too precious for words. And I LOVE that they have each other. My biggest regret is not adopting my guy’s brother, but we didn’t think we could handle two puppies at once. Now he is definitely an only child and will not accept another furball in the house. But next time, we are definitely getting two. Thanks for sharing their story :)

40. Jess January 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I loved this post! So cute!

41. Tara January 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

LOVE the girls! I miss running with them….hopefully we can have a puppy run date sometime soonish :)

42. the dawn January 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

oh wow. those puppy pictures just made my heart melt! i’ve wanted a dog for so long…but we’re renting. so it has to wait. so adorable!!!

43. Sarah January 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

you have the cutest dogs! I loved this post!

1. Boston training: week 3 & My Birthday! | runner's rambles - January 17, 2011

[...] started off the week with an easy morning run and brought Kylie and Emma along!  I kept the pace easy and just enjoyed running with them.  I added on another mile [...]

2. The Story of Bailey and Jasmine | runner's rambles - January 18, 2011

[...] week I told the story of our pups Kylie and Emma, so this week I will tell the story of my cats, Bailey and Jasmine!  But in order to tell the [...]

3. ABC’s of me | runner's rambles - February 26, 2011

[...] Chore you hate: emptying the dishwasher Dogs: Kylie and Emma! [...]

4. All grown up | runner's rambles - March 11, 2011

[...] This little puppy… [...]

5. The Baby | runner's rambles - March 24, 2011

[...] This puppy, the baby of our family, was born 5 years ago today!  13 days after her big sister. [...]

6. Weekly Recap: Big Sur Race Week | runner's rambles - May 11, 2011

[...] used my free time to make my Boston collage, play with the pups (and take a million pictures of them doing so), and get ready for a fun-filled race [...]

7. May | runner's rambles - May 31, 2011

[...] don’t worry, the pups had a lot of other fun [...]

8. WW: Taking Over | runner's rambles - June 29, 2011

[...] note: You might have noticed I haven’t ran with the pups in a couple weeks and that is true.  Emma hurt her leg a couple weeks ago doing speed work after a [...]

9. WW: Summertime | runner's rambles - July 6, 2011

[...] Kylie and Emma aren’t a big fan of these heat waves we keep having.  It’s just too hot to play outside and they would rather spend the day inside the air conditioned house (just like their mom!). [...]

10. Taking Control | runner's rambles - August 20, 2011

[...] than a 9:15 mile and I made myself stick there.  After 5 miles I was back at home and took Kylie and Emma out for an easy mile each to get 7 miles for the [...]

11. PDX Training: 7 Weeks To Go | runner's rambles - August 22, 2011

[...] I told my legs to listen to me and slow down and they did.  Kylie and Emma also went out for their first run in a while!  I hadn’t taken them in a while since I wanted [...]

12. Friday Favorites | runner's rambles - August 26, 2011

[...] And of course, what Friday Favorites is complete without pictures of Kylie and Emma?  [...]

13. Double Dog Day | runner's rambles - November 26, 2011

[...] I have been having really hard time running after work, especially lately with a commute and it being dark, so one way I have told myself I am going to get these runs in, is to bring my two favorite non-human running partners, Kylie and Emma.  [...]

14. It All | runner's rambles - February 2, 2012

[...] try to take Kylie and Emma on short runs with me when I run from home, but those aren’t happening that often lately.  I [...]

15. Ask A Blogger: Runner’s Rambles « Eat, Sweat, Smile - March 28, 2012

[...] So here’s more about Aron! P.S. Aron is dog-mom to Kylie and Emma who were the CUTEST puppies. Check out their story here. [...]