iPhone apps for runners, take 3

It’s no secret I have a major slight obsession with my iPhone and since I just got the new one for Christmas, my obsession has gotten worse (if you are debating, yes it’s sooo much better)!

I have done a couple posts on some fun iPhone apps for runners and have a new one to add to the list… Gazelle GPS Cardiovascular Workout Tracker

(See this post and this post for prior reviews)

The gazelle is a new app that is designed to be your GPS device while running.

It’s claim to fame is how easy it is to use and I immediately noticed after I downloaded it that it was really simple and very user friendly.  There was a really quick tutorial that showed me the steps to use and that was it, I was ready to go!

All you have to do to start the timer is tap the screen, to pause you hold the screen for a little bit longer, and to restart you just tap it again.  That’s it!

The main screen
statsDisplayPortrait

You can set it up to lap at whichever distance you want, the mile is the pre-set which I left mine at.  The home screen shows both the total run and the current lap which is very convenient.

After you are done with your run it is stored in the history which is also really easy to get to.  You can see the overall history of your run and also all the splits.

History screen
history

You can also email yourself the workout so you can log it and have it somewhere besides your iPhone.

Individual workout history
 workout

My only issue was trying to stop it at stoplights since I keep mine in my pocket.  Each time I stopped (at a light or whatever) I had to take the phone out to pause it which isn’t the most convenient thing in the world, but not the worst either.  The developer did mention that an update with auto pause will be available which would solve those problems for me!  If you wear your phone on an armband (which I would do if I was using this app on a regular basis instead of a garmin) it would be even very easy since the screen would be right there to touch, not in your pocket.

I have used a couple different iPhone apps for GPS tracking for those tragic days my garmin has died and all of them I kind of have been frustrated with.  This one was really easy and straight forward to use and I would definitely recommend it to those iPhone users out there who want a GPS app on their phone.

I am not planning on giving up my garmin anytime soon, but will definitely be using this as backup!

***I was given a free download of this app in exchange for my review.

16 Responses to iPhone apps for runners, take 3

1. Jana January 5, 2011 at 8:51 am #

What do you find is the best way to carry your iPhone? I have always found it too bulky and flip-flopping around to carry with me. I love my Garmin, but having the iPhone during a run is handy for various reasons (emergency, music, etc).

BTW, how does this apps stats compare to with what your Garmin tracked (were they close on pace & distance)?

• Aron January 5, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I either carry my phone in my jacket pocket in the winter or my ifitness belt (http://www.runnersrambles.com/2010/04/friday-favorites-%e2%80%93-ifitness-belt-yes-again.html) if I dont have a jacket or pocket. I think an arm band would work well if you were using it for music or other things.

When I had the app on, it was very close to garmin, I just had some troubles since I was trying to stop/restart when it was in my pocket (I thought I restarted it but I didn’t once), so my end stats were messed up.

2. Karyn January 5, 2011 at 10:05 am #

hmmm this is really interesting. i keep resisting a garmin (mostly for price) and this sounds like it’d be cool if it works well. is it really pricey? one time fee? monthly?

• Aron January 5, 2011 at 10:09 am #

If you have an iPhone you just have to pay the one time fee to download the app for $2.99.

3. Marlene January 5, 2011 at 10:25 am #

You and your iPhone! ;) I am old school with my plain jane cell, but I should see if hubs can find this one for his Touch.

4. Zoe January 5, 2011 at 11:37 am #

The new iPhone is FABULOUS, isn’t it? Sounds like a good running app. I’ve tried a couple, but my good ol Garmin is still my friend. But, I definitely can’t run without my iPhone.

5. stephanie January 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

I love the iPhone 4 and thanks for the tips on the GPS tracker. I use my Garmin too but there are some mornings where I wake up to go run and forget to charge it. So, this will be a great backup to have!

Also, love the new look of your blog!

6. J January 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I love the new iPhone too! It is just so awesome! That looks like a cool app. I have never taken my phone on a run but having GPS would be handy!

7. Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

The boy came home last night with a brand NEW iPhone 4 (from work, LUCKY) and I could not have been more jealous…haha and this just increases that drive to finally get one! It won’t happen anytime soon, but gah those things are incredible.

8. nicole January 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Very cool Aron! :) I love reading your reviews about phone apps!

9. Lisa @ Early Morning Run January 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

I’m very intrigued by iPhones and considering getting one soon, especially because of all the great apps, but I hear from lots of people who have them that their calls are dropped all the time. I think that would drive me nuts. Do you have that problem?

10. Run Lily January 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

I know I hate stoplights and how it messes up the timing.

I really like this app, but it isn’t on the iphone yet, but it might be soon, its for Android currently, its called Cardio Trainer.

Its a GPS tracker, that you can use for running, hiking, biking, etc. but the best thing is that you can set the Pause by time. So if it senses you stopped (which its pretty keen) it’ll pause on its own, and then start up on its own once you start moving.

So for running I set it to if I stop for longer than 1 second, it’ll pause, for biking I have it set for 7 seconds, and it’ll pause. It can also read aloud what your pace is, and will give you how many steps you’ve taken overall to calculate cadence. And gives you your stats graphically so you can see where you speed up or slow down.

its free, but it does have a paid version too, but I use the free one which has a ton of features already :)

11. Jen January 6, 2011 at 5:43 am #

So cool! Another reason Verizon needs to hurry up and come out w/ the Iphone so I can get one :)

12. Mel January 6, 2011 at 8:41 am #

First… love the new blog look! I still have the 3GS, and the same obsession. I use the Nike+ GPS app… the NIke+ kit is really what got me started running… so it still has a bit of a sweet spot for me :)

13. carpeviam January 6, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

I’m so glad you got the new iPhone. I lovelovelove mine!

14. Danielle January 9, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks for this! I have another app, that is so/so but this seems way easier to use and for $2.99 its worth the try!