Involved

One of my goals for 2011 was to become more involved in the running community.  So far this year I have already exceeded some of my own expectations, but I have been presented with some awesome opportunities and I am running with them, literally!

photo[1]

lululemon Run Club

Like I said earlier this week, Kristin and I have been working with our local lululemon store to get a run club started.  We had our trial run this week and our kickoff is next week!  We are both really excited to be leading this run and to be able to get people outside running and having fun at the same time!

February 1st @ 6pm – be there!

Ambassador_Badge

The San Francisco Marathon training program

Along with being an Ambassador for The San Francisco Marathon, I am also going to be helping out with their training program by being a pacer for some of their runs.  It seems like yesterday I was training for SFM as my first marathon and I am so excited to be able to share some of my knowledge with some new runners!

The kick off for the 26 week program is this Saturday in San Francisco and there are others around the country hosted by the other Ambassadors as well, so make sure to check out the link if you are interested.

Saturday, February 29th – 8am!

Walnut Creek Festival Run

My friend Jason revived the Walnut Creek Festival Run last year and this year he needs some help!  I have offered to do whatever I can to help him with this race and I am really excited to be able to be behind the scenes for the first time.  Things are just getting started but I will definitely keep you guys in the loop.

For those of you locals already filling out your race calendars, mark September 11th down for a 5 or 10k in Walnut Creek!

Blog 041

Track

As I mentioned yesterday, the track workouts I have been going to (which my friend Jason started), I have been helping out with by co-hosting.  This week I lead the whole workout on my own, which just basically included assembling people, leading the plyometric drills, telling everyone what the work out was, and restarting the group after each interval.

Morning track has become something I really look forward to and having a group to lead makes it even more motivating to get out there.

RRCA Running Coach Certification

Next week I head down to southern California with Kristin to go through the RRCA running coach certification course.  We have some fun plans in the works with what we want to do with our licenses so stay tuned for that as well.  I am very excited for the class and to be able to soak up a lot of new running information that I can in turn share with you guys!

Running 001

I am so excited that I am able to be more involved with the running community.  It’s time consuming and a lot of work sometimes, but I love every single second of it and can’t wait for all the fun coming up this year.

Are you involved in your local running community?

Do you like running with training groups or friends, or do you like doing your own thing or both?

I definitely love running with people but also appreciate my own time with my thoughts out on a run.

, , , , , ,

34 Responses to Involved

1. Demi January 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Very exciting things on the horizon for you. Giving back is not only fun but soul satisfying as well!

2. the dawn January 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

you are such an inspiration! i am trying to get more involved with local runners…however in this small town there’s not much of a “community” of runners. just a handful. but i love it! we’ll be moving in a few months and i’m committed to finding a running club wherever we end up! thanks for all the inspiration, and thanks for giving back :)

3. Nicole January 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Oh my gosh aron! I’m impressed with what you’ve done and we arent even into february yet! I would LOVE to go through the RRCA certification & become certified. dream come true! i’m so happy for you! :)

4. Karyn January 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Jeez this is all so exciting! I am way happy for you and you are definitely an inspiration for being to involved!

5. Lauren January 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

This is awesome! So many exciting running things going on for you this year. :) I would love to get involved with a running community around where I live. I say that there isn’t any but I think I’m probably just not looking hard enough. I do miss the community of runners that I used to have when I was on a team. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about finding a club to join, and one of these days, I would like to coach again (I worked as an asst XC coach for a year and loved it!). I looked into getting my RRCA certification but they don’t have any courses scheduled in New England this year!! I’m crossing my fingers that changes as the year goes on.

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Or you could start your own club :)

6. Amanda January 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

I’m hoping to make it over to the Lululemon run, hopefully I can get a few friends with me too. I’ll definitely mark my calendar for the Walnut Creek race.

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

YAY!!! Yes bring all your friends :) Hope to see you there!

7. Marci January 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

I need to get more involved, but right now I am trying to get back on track. You will make a great coach!

8. Laura January 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

You’re doing such a great job turning your hobby into (maybe?) something more than a hobby. It’s inspiring! I definitely plan on coming to the group run. I’m excited and (secretly) a little nervous that everyone will run as fast as you do!

• Aron January 28, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Nooo I promise you it’s going to be great. Lots of beginners and a total social no-pressure run. You will love it.

9. Page January 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

Sept. 11th it is then! SO excited to see how you help that race grow and for your certification. Have fun next weekend!

10. Kristen January 28, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Very very cool! I hope when things calm down in 3 weeks to be more involved – definitely would love to come to the track on Wednesdays and Lulu on Tuesdays. While sometimes it is nice to zone out on a run and have “alone” time running with others is always fun!

11. Christine January 28, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Wow, very exciting things coming up for you!!! My goal for this year was to volunteer at at least 1 race in order to give back and say thank you to all other volunteers. Can’t wait to hear more about the Coach Certification, I’m planning on doing that as well. Good luck with your running group!

12. TNTCoachKen January 28, 2011 at 4:08 am #

I love my running groups, it wouldn’t be the same without them.

13. Nancy January 28, 2011 at 4:35 am #

This year I am trying to branch out a little more with the running community. I usually find my one running partner and stick with them until the bitter end! I love my running buddy but now she lives much further away so we can’t consistently run together. I know of a running group that does Wednesday night runs….I need to challenge myself to meet up with them. Just saying that makes me nervous but it will good to meet new people!

• Aron January 28, 2011 at 8:42 am #

I know, I am always so nervous the first time but then it turns out great! Go for it ;)

14. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad January 28, 2011 at 5:18 am #

I would like to get more involved as well. I used to be a coach and mentor for TnT a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Have fun at certification! You are going to love the class…it’s great!

15. Adrienne January 28, 2011 at 6:39 am #

I cannot wait to hear about your experience with RRCA. I have been thinking about it, but am undecided!

16. Marlene January 28, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Awesome stuff all around! This all sounds so fun and exciting and what a GREAT way to get involved. I should do more… will have to look into a few things. :)

I definitely love training with my group but I need my “alone time” runs as well. That’s the beauty of it – we can do both!!

17. Roisin January 28, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Wow! This sounds like an exciting year already for you…just be careful with the burnout! Here’s hoping you can get some cute, free stuff if you can get a running group together with lululemon :)

I used to run more with a group, but these days I either run solo or with one of the coolest people I’ve met down here. It’s taken some getting used to, but I like it! Let us know how the coaching thing goes!

18. Emily January 28, 2011 at 8:00 am #

I am so impressed aron! I wish I lived near you so I could go to your lulu run! I would love to get my coaching cert at some time. I’m excited to hear how the experience goes for you.

I am all about group runs. I love running with people who push me to go faster. Track workouts and long runs especially. Tempo I kind of like doing on my own.

• Aron January 28, 2011 at 8:41 am #

ME TOO! Tempos I do best on my own for some reason. Track is crutial to having a group though :)

19. Nelly January 28, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Exciting times! Aside from the professional coaches/runners already, seems like you are one of the most motivated runners out there. I could definitely see you becoming a running coach or running trainer or something, you have so much knowledge to share, and seem completely into it. I just finished reading the book Advanced Marathoning, and I feel like I already knew a lot of the book from reading your blog, haha

20. The Laminator January 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

Ooh exciting! Who’ve thunk that this little hobby of yours can turn into so much, right? It’s so incredible I think. Yeah. Stay involved. That’s the best way to be =)

21. lindsay January 29, 2011 at 6:09 am #

you will have to give me some pointers! there aren’t as many races around here and i’ve keep thinking about starting a little ‘series’ or at least putting together a few races. i guess i need to re-activate my local club membership and maybe talk to them about organizing another race. you do so much! i don’t know how you juggle it all. i helped w/ the komen 5k a few years and that was stressful!

22. Libby January 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Aron, great to see you getting involved! And be sure that you balance being involved “as a runner” with being involved in making the running community better. What I mean is, if you are leading a run or a group or a workout or being a pacer for a race or a pace leader in a training program, you are still in a lot of ways getting in your own run or race. I like that it sounds like you’re helping with a race for this festival, because it’s volunteering where you must sacrifice your own run or race for bettering the running community. This is the place where a lot of runners need to spend some time each year. And I hope runners realize that someone has to sit out race days to make races happen sometimes.
    And me, I’m TOO involved in the running community sometimes. Fellow SFM Ambassador, 3 years board member for Dallas Running Club, 2007-2008 Dallas Running Club President, recipient of the 2008 National RRCA Scott Hamilton Outstanding Club President of the Year award, RRCA North Texas State Representative, regular race volunteer, and I’ve been directing half marathons for the last 4 years. :-)

23. Jo Lynn January 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Boomer!!!! <3

24. onelittletrigirl January 31, 2011 at 7:40 am #

You are inspirationally involved!

I am on the board for my Triathlon Team and we do a lot of work in the community- in general, with the sport and volunteering at many events. I think it adds tremendously to my love of the sports!

25. Susan - Nurse on the Run January 31, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

I love this post!! I applied to be a marathon coach for the NYC marathon, so I’m hoping to hear about that soon. I’m with Lauren above….no RRCA classes in New England!! I’ve got my eye out and would definitely love to do something like that.

Otherwise, I really want to get more involved in the running community! Running teams are HUGE in NYC, and I need to find one! I know a bunch of runners, but it’s cool when I see people in their team jerseys during races and people yell for them….love it!

1. Boston training: week 5 | runner's rambles - January 30, 2011

[...] work and my own training, I also had two commitments this week to some of the new things I will be involved with this year, so it’s been a busy week!  Let’s just say I am definitely learning time [...]

2. February | runner's rambles - March 1, 2011

[...] on the bright side, I learned a lot, still got most of my workouts in, and got going with all the involvements I have started this [...]

3. 2011 Goals Check In | runner's rambles - April 27, 2011

[...] I think I surpassed my expectations on this one.  Between being an SFM Ambassador, getting my RRCA Running Coach [...]

4. Running Capris | runner's rambles - May 18, 2011

[...] anything lululemon for a while for my bank accounts sake, but was given these pants as part of my involvement with running the lululemon Run Club.  I can see why people pay a lot of money for them, I [...]