Foodie for a Day

A while ago when I asked on facebook if there were any blog topics anyone wanted me to cover, Marlene said:

“I would love to see what you eat in a day during training.”

I had actually been wanting to do this for a long time, and have even taken pictures of my food a couple times, but I never got around to posting it or I would forget to take pictures of a main meal.  Being a foodie blogger is a tough job!

I also wanted to make sure it was during a part of training where I am running a lot, just to give a better idea of what I eat during 50-60 mile weeks and on a day I run a good amount of miles.

Today was that day!  It was also Wednesday morning track day.

I got up at 4:30am, had my cup of coffee, got ready and headed over to the school.  I typically don’t eat anything before morning runs (except long runs) but I do sometimes when I go to track.  Some days I am just hungry on the way there so I always bring something just incase since I know I will be pushing my body hard (I always have a gu with me just incase too).  Today I was hungry so I had a half zbar on the drive over.

I got to track this morning and it was foggy and 40 degrees – pretty close to my “perfect weather.”  I got there earlier to get in a longer warm up and ran around in the dark while everyone arrived.

I have been co-hosting this workout for the last few weeks and today my co-host was not there, so I ran the workout all by myself!  It’s not that difficult but it is a little nerve wrecking leading everyone through things.  It seemed to go well though and I was happy I got to run it!

Perfect morning at the track after the sun came up
Blog 036

Our workout was a doozy: 3x2000m @ 10k pace with 400m jog in between.

2000m is a long way.

After our warm up, plyos and a quick chat we were on our way!  My goal is always to try to get faster with each interval and keep relatively consistent throughout, but finish strong.  The fun thing about 2000s is that they are over a mile, so my watch would lap at a mile in each workout and I could measure my progress.  Besides that check in, I didn’t look at my garmin at all since it was dark, so it was all effort based.

How did I do?

9:20 (7:30 avg, mile at 7:35)
9:11 (7:23 avg, mile at 7:31)
9:07 (7:20 avg, mile at 7:15)
Average: 9:13 (7:25 avg)

Exactly how I wanted this workout to go.  I cooled down for another few miles and headed to work to get ready for the day!

9.5 miles/1:21:24/8:32 avg pace

I burn about 100 calories per mile, so this was 950 calories to make up today!  I do generally track my food during training to make sure I am getting enough of what I need, especially on days like today.  I try to net around 1800+ calories, so today I would need to eat ~2,750 calories total.

I typically try to eat as “clean” as I can, eating less process foods and more natural foods.  This doesn’t always happen but Chris and I have been pretty good about eating well lately, having been trying new things, learning more about food, and cooking more balanced meals (protein, carb, fat and vegetables).

I ate the other half of my zbar on the way to work.

Blog 043

Once I was at my desk I made my standard oatmeal breakfast.  3/4 cup of old fashioned oats with half a serving of Cascadian Farm granola.  I usually have cinnamon in it too but I forgot it today – boo.

Blog 014

Around 10:30 I had my typical morning snack of plain Greek yogurt and the other half a serving of granola.

Blog 047

Then it was lunch time!  I pretty much eat a huge salad every day.  I have a standard set of ingredients but they do vary from day to day.

It may not look that big in this picture, but trust me it is.  It weighs like 5 pounds.Blog 028

Today’s salad included: spring mix greens, cucumber, red bell pepper, green onions, carrots, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, half a can of garbanzo beans, 2 hard boiled eggs, some shredded cheese (was out of feta today!) and a little bit of vinaigrette dressing.  A lot of stuff.  I try to make sure to add more things of substance on days I run a lot, hence the eggs, avocado and beans.

For dessert I had a zbar.  Yes another one.

Blog 029

There was a time when I made myself not eat these, since I consider them one of the “faults” in my eating.  Then I decided that I run 50-60 miles a week and if my main “fault” everyday is an organic kid’s granola bar then I am doing just fine.  I typically try not to have two a day though.

Afternoon snacks included:

A handful of almonds

Blog 030

Not pictured: a brown rice cake with a bit of peanut butter and later a banana.

Typically my afternoon snacks include string cheese and an apple but I didn’t have those with me today so I improvised with the above.  I am seriously always eating.

When I got home I snacked on a piece of cheddar cheese while cooking dinner.

Blog 048

For dinner I had two servings of quinoa (cooked in vegetable broth) with a ton of brussel sprouts and some more garbanzo beans (cooked in olive oil and sea salt).

Eating while blogging
Blog 056

My post dinner snack was a large green apple that helps cure the sweet tooth.

Based on my calculations on my tracker, that was just under 2600 calories (pretty close to my goal), including 105g of protein (not bad for a vegetarian), 90g of fat (all good fat! It’s very important to us runners) and 63g of fiber.  Not a bad day.  This doesn’t include my coffee and I don’t measure everything exactly, but I have a good sense of measurements now and it’s a pretty good estimate overall.  I do take a couple of multi-vitamins during the day as well to make up for anything that I might be missing.

I do need to improve on eating something a little bit bigger on my way to work after a hard workout.  I wanted to eat my banana today, but for some reason bananas always sound disgusting to me after I work out, so I need to find something else to help speed along muscle recovery.  Other than that, I think it was a pretty good day eating wise.

Do you pay close attention to what you eat during training?

54 Responses to Foodie for a Day

1. Nicole January 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Your such a good little eater missy! :)

I eat lots n lots n lots!!! Lately lots of eggs & salad- no pop! Arent you proud?!? :)

2. Karyn January 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

i definitely pay close attention to what i’m eating during training. that said, after a certain point (at least for me) there’s only so much clean food i can take. and then the cookies and stuff come in to make sure i’m not losing weight/muscle.

love this post. i really enjoy seeing what other hardcore and intense runners are eating and fueling with during their training cycles!

• Aron January 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Yes I too definitely have the occasional cookie, just not today ;) cookies are my weakness!

3. Kimberly January 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

Wow!!! That is a lot of eating. Do you ever find yourself not hungry and forcing yourself to eat? I have to do that a lot and wonder if others struggle with it too.

Loving the posts lately, too!!! So much good info!!!

• Aron January 26, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

YES! Usually when I get up in the 60+ miles per week I kind of lose my appetite for a bit and have to force the food down. It may get a little less healthy in those instances just because nothing sounds good. I haven’t been having that problem lately though ;)

4. Laura January 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Now let’s be honest. Does that apple turn into a bowl of ice cream on the days you’re not posting your food intake on the internet? JK I wish I had your discipline!

• Aron January 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

If my husband brings home a cookie (they get them delivered at work sometimes), then I eat that, but otherwise we don’t keep it in the house. If I want it, it’s an effort to go get it and then I get it when I REALLY want it :)

5. Rachel January 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

interesting post! i’m quite impressed, you are definitely eating clean! i’m a vegetarian as well so i may have to try that dinner recipe! i love quinoa : )

6. Average A January 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Oh my goodness, thank you for posting this! As a vegan I find I always get stuck in ruts of eating the same thing day in and day out, but what you posted here gives me some new ideas of how to incorporate different and healthier foods into my day. I also love that you eat a bunch of calories to make up for what you’re burning… that’s one of my favorite things about training — FOOD! That dinner looks mighty tasty…

xoxo,
    A

7. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair January 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

Aron! I had no idea you were a vegetarian! This excites me since you’re such a hardcore runner (I LOVE seeing hardcore athletes being veg!) Is Chris vegetarian too?

Basically I ADORED this post! So cool to see what you eat. I tend to have oatmeal for breakfast and also pack a BIG salad for lunches. Dinner is my weakness though – for some reason I just go carb crazy around dinnertime!

I’ve found since I’ve started packing my huge salads for lunches I’ve had to buy fresh produce more often though. How often do you guys grocery shop?

I think you should do more of these posts – it was awesome!!

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Chris is not a vegetarian, he tried it at the beginning of last year for a few months and it did not work for him at all.

We go once a week for a big trip, but sometimes have to get random things during the week.

8. Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 27, 2011 at 3:42 am #

Great post! I am so glad you are a foodie like me :)

I used to track what I would eat, but I just go by my hunger queues now. When I was running around 90 mile weeks, keep track of 3800 calories per day made my head hurt more than my calculus class ;)

9. Christine January 27, 2011 at 4:28 am #

Very healthy! I’m impressed :)

10. Denise January 27, 2011 at 4:30 am #

interesting post. i’m trying so hard to eat more during the week to make up for workouts, but it’s a struggle. it’s hard to have calories add up when you eat clean…i try to eat 100% clean (saturdays aren’t 100%).

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Adding the nuts, olive oil and avocado are the easiest ways I have found to make up some calories.

11. J January 27, 2011 at 4:31 am #

I had no idea your were a vegetarian! That is pretty awesome that you are able to do that and run so well! I try not to eat candy or ice cream but its hard. I have a big sweet tooth. Packing my lunch every day pretty much keeps me on schedule – just some days I want something sweet and fruits wont cut it! I hope that once I start training hard for the half I can cut out all the bad foods.

12. Meghan January 27, 2011 at 4:52 am #

Wow – that is such a healthy and balanced day! I bet between you and Chris you have quite the grocery cart each week.
    What time do you go to bed to get up at 4:30 and run 9 miles? Do you ever feel like all you do is work, run, sleep? How do you mentally get through that?

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 7:16 am #

YES :) I don’t mind during the week, I don’t like to do much. I am also lucky that a huge part of my social life is with running and I have so many friends that run, so we can multitask by hanging out during a run ;)

I am always in bed before 10, usually around 9 and try to go to sleep somewhere in there. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

13. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad January 27, 2011 at 4:58 am #

Wow, tough workout! Nice work!

When I’m training I always make sure I’m getting enough calories. If I don’t, I’ll tank in my next run. So not worth it!

14. Jess January 27, 2011 at 5:54 am #

When I’m in serious training I swear I’m constantly shoveling food into my mouth. Thanks for the sneak peek at your eats. It’s good to see what other runners eat, I always get some ideas or inspiration.

15. Marlene January 27, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been working hard at figuring out my diet lately and this gives me some great ideas. I also feel like I am CONSTANTLY eating, but making the right choices is what it’s all about. I may have to post my own “foodie for a day” one of these days. :)

Thanks again!!!

16. Laura January 27, 2011 at 6:38 am #

LOVED seeing this….I have been off this week and it has shown in my overall desire to workout …..

17. Jessie January 27, 2011 at 6:44 am #

WOW! Ive never trained for a marathon and have a hard time replacing my 1000 calorie long run. Im going to be in for it when start training for Chicago. Im going to see a nutritionist at MSU so they can help set me up w/ a food plan! Ive been thinking about eating “clean” when I start my half training next week!

18. Jamie in Arkansas January 27, 2011 at 6:59 am #

I love your blog – and I love this post! Please do more of these! I’m a runner too and I struggle with eating too much or too little. That balance is so hard for me to achieve. Some days I’m starving and other days I’m just eating normal. I love that you included your calories and deficits. That part is always so confusing to me. So you DO eat back what you burn. Good to know!! Please continue to share your knowledge – I think we can all gain from this!!

What do you do on water intake? Before, during and after your workouts? Thanks! :)

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 7:18 am #

When I run in the morning I don’t really drink water before at all (pee factor), so I pretty much make it up by drinking a lot throughout the day. During long runs I drink water throughout the whole run.

19. alex January 27, 2011 at 7:03 am #

looks awesome! i wish you were a track leader in my neck of the woods- i would totally head out to that gorgeous track (great photo, btw) and run!

and girl, there is a LOT worse than a kid’s granola bar ;-) Like the woman I saw the other morning, smoke in one hand, Red Bull in the other. It wasn’t even 9am yet. TImes like those, I give myself a pat on the back.

20. alex January 27, 2011 at 7:04 am #

Oh, and another thing– I NEVER stop eating either.

21. Kelly January 27, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love to see how people eat while training. That salad looks fabulous!

22. Holly January 27, 2011 at 7:43 am #

YEA! I’m always excited when someone posts a vegetarian diet that doesn’t include soy! I try to eat as little meat as possible, but I’m allergic to soy, wheat and gluten which makes it a little challenging (want to ensure I’m getting enough protein to fuel my body for runs). I’m figuring it out though and this helps a lot!! I’m a HUGE snacker too- my co workers just laugh.

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Wow that is tough! Chris is doing a gluten free thing right now (just for a couple weeks) and so we have been learning more about it and the options there are out there. We have been going through a lot of brown rice! ;)

23. Jake January 27, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Those brussel sprouts look amazing! You eat so much healthier than I do. I don’t know how you can control yourself like that.

24. Roisin January 27, 2011 at 8:12 am #

The picture of the track is quite nice :) Great workout! I’m always curious to find out what other people eat, especially on non-long run days (since those tend to be out of the ordinary). I might have to try that dinner you cooked up. I loves me some brussel sprouts!

25. Emily January 27, 2011 at 8:20 am #

I’m also addicted to bars and have been thinking about trying to cut back. But I like your philosophy. If the worst thing I’m eating on a day of tough training is a luna bar…then okay.

I am going to try and really amp up my focus on what I’m eating and when I’m eating it as I get into Ironman training. Right now I am not good about making sure I’m immediately refueling after a workout.

26. Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 27, 2011 at 9:53 am #

During training, I mainly try to eat stuff that won’t upset my stomach. I usually get hungrier, so I try to take advantage and eat veggies/beans, etc. Other than that, I make sure to eat a little extra the day before a long run and pretty much leave it at that.

27. Jason Bahamundi January 27, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Came over here from Marlene and glad I did b/c that dinner looks divine. I will be adding that to the repertoire and maybe even tonight.

Do you steam or saute’ the brussel sprouts?

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 10:34 am #

I steam them first to soften them a bit, and then saute them quickly after in a little olive oil so they get a little burnt/crispy. Only takes a couple minutes in the pan for that part.

Thanks for stopping by :)

28. Nelly January 27, 2011 at 10:36 am #

Wow that is a pretty brutal workout, 3 x 2000 meters! Those are the workouts that I despised during track in high school, haha I guess we never ran 2000 meter repeats as training, but we generally ran 3/4 and mile repeats.

And I love that picture of the track, that should be framed on your wall!

29. Jess January 27, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Interesting post! I don’t track calories at all–just seems like too much of a pain. All your food is so healthy! I like to think mine is pretty healthy, but I just ate banana bread for lunch, haha.

30. lindsay January 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

you are so healthy. i think i gained 10 lbs just from reading this and realizing how crappy i eat ;)

31. Jess January 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

You’ve given me some menu ideas, thanks!

32. Kerry January 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Have you ever put the zbar in the microwave for like 10 seconds?? TALK ABOUT AMAZING. I store a bunch in my classroom and during lunch this is my dessert. So good. Hmmm if there is anything that I track it is what am I eating right after a workout. I tend to eat fairly well (or weird if you ask my students. I assume that’s a good thing for me then), but I always aim to have something balanced, but particularly high in protein post run! Thanks for sharing this!

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

OMG I need to try that!! YUM. Like a warm cookie <3

33. the dawn January 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

all this time and i never knew you were vegetarian too! love all your food!!! i’m impressed with how you’re able to get in all those calories so cleanly. when i lay off sugar-y stuff i have a harder time getting all my calories that i need for running and such.

very impressive :)

34. Jen January 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

Cool idea! Love it!

35. Ana-Maria January 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Your eating is PERFECT. I am impressed. I do pretty well but have lots of homemade bread and chocolate as treats:) Love the garbanzo beans dishes, I should try to eat more beans:)

36. Mica January 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks for showing all of that!

I am trying to get more into lunch-time meal salads, so it was interesting to see yours and all of its components. One question–do you put any kind of dressing on beforehand, or do you just let all the things in the salad act as the dressing? (P.S. I love your gallon-sized container heehee.)

• Mica January 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

P.S. I’m dumb. I just read that you have vinaigrette on your salad. Do you carry it separately and then add it at work?

• Aron January 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Yah I carry it separately when my salads have lettuce. Just in a tiny tupperware. Sometimes I make “lettuceless” salads and just have all those toppings I listed, then I don’t mind having the dressing on before. I just don’t like soggy lettuce ;)

37. Shutupandrun January 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

I loved reading this and learning more about how you fuel. Such a good example of balanced and smart eating. Thanks for sharing.

38. Marci January 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I love this post! (again!), its really something worth sharing between us runners and your salad gives me some great ideas for lunches too!

39. Sonja January 28, 2011 at 4:30 am #

This post made me nod my head and think “that’s just like me!” several times while reading. I am a teacher and don’t have the time to leave school to get lunch during the day, so I pack the BIGGEST bag of food to take with me… oatmeal, greek yogurt, apples, salad… yeah, remarkably similar to what you posted. Plus, I don’t ever sit down for a true “lunch” (I am much more of a grazer), so I literally feel like I am eating ALL. DAY. LONG. Do you ever get asked, “You eat all the time! How do you stay so thin???” It seems like that happens at least once a week, and while I just smile and laugh it off, I am always tempted to shake my bag of carrot sticks or my granola bar in the person’s face and say, “Yes, I do eat a lot… but LOOK WHAT I AM EATING!” :-)

40. Jen January 28, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Love this! I foolishly used to think I shouldn’t snack all day long. But I swear I’m a much better runner when I eat more. It’s always eye-opening to see how much people need to eat during training. When my husband was at peak Ironman training, he was eating about 4-5000 calories a day. Insane!

41. Karla January 28, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Yay!! thanks for the post! I am hitting about 40 mpw right now and struggling to eat. I shovel food down but its not enough most days. I try. I like the beans and such. I have mostly cut meat out so i am loving these ideas here! Your salad looks amazing! I also pretty much eat all day long! Thanks!

1. Foodie Friday: All about time | runner's rambles - February 4, 2011

[...] my "Foodie for a day" post I received a lot of great feedback and interest in that topic, so I am going to devote [...]