Back at the track

You think I had to be organized on Tuesday?  Wednesday morning was a whole other level of organization.

One of my friends through the team we train with has been hosting a local morning track workout and I have always been a little hesitant to go… trying new things is scary!  Plus track in the morning just sounded rough.  But it was just more convenient and I am really trying to get most of my training done in the morning.  I reminded myself about the first time I went to group track ever, how I was really scared and how I was so glad I went, so I told him I would be there. Then he asked if I would co-host the workouts with him, which really meant no turning back!

Tuesday night I set everything out just like I did on Monday night, but this time I also set out everything I needed to get ready in the morning.  Since I am lucky enough to have a shower at work and it is back track to get home to get ready, I decided to save some extra time and just get ready at work, but this required massive amounts of organization.

Clothes, makeup, towel, toiletries, hair dryer, straightener, snacks for the day, lunch, etc…. I looked like I was moving in when I got to work Wednesday morning!

01.05.11

But that’s jumping ahead.

4:30am wake up, 5:30 leave the house with all my stuff, 5:50 arrive at the track.

It was another cold for us morning (34) and it was dark and foggy, but people started showing up and we got into our warm up.  It was fun chatting with everyone and hearing what people are training for… everything from getting into running shape to 50 milers!  After a little over a mile we did drills and then got into the workout.

All the track workouts I am doing this cycle are from the BAA Advanced 16 week training program, and this one is from week two (I skipped week 1 since I wanted to give myself a month off speed work after CIM just to be safe and Wednesday just happened to be a month exactly!).

Workout: 1 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile at slightly slower than 10k pace with 3 & 5 minute rest.

I was kind of nervous standing there in the dark, I hadn’t done speed work in over a month and just wasn’t sure what to expect.  I kept my goal realistic and was shooting for low 7:30s and just hoped for the best.  Before I knew it we were running!

I started off at the slower end and worked into my pace on every single interval.  Every time I would complete a lap I would check my watch (which I would have to turn the light on for since it was dark) and my average pace was falling.  This made me happy, especially since a lot of it was by effort with not being able to see my garmin!  I hate when I shoot out like a rocket at track, pacing is so key to a good workout, so this was very good.  The pace felt comfortable too, not too hard like 5k or faster, just comfortably uncomfortable, just like a 10k should feel.

I finished my first mile right where I wanted: 7:35.  I jogged a lap, we regrouped and started into the 2 miles.  I eased into it again and continually got faster through every lap: 15:06 (7:39, 7:27/7:33 avg ).  I jogged another lap, we regrouped, and then got into the last mile and hit it right where I hoped: 7:32.  I jogged another mile as cool down and headed to work!

It was also so fun being out there in the complete darkness.  The longer we were out there the lighter it got, but it was so foggy you couldn’t see across the track.  I loved it!

total workout: 7.1 miles/59:46/8:25 avg pace

I loved going in the morning and I was so happy I was getting it out of the way so early.  There is something about running around the track half asleep, in the cold and complete darkness that is just so fun to me.  There is a great group of people out there and I am excited to get to know them and continue to help host this workout.  I will definitely be back weekly!

, ,

24 Responses to Back at the track

1. Carlee January 6, 2011 at 7:39 am #

Excellent workout. I would love the experience of a track workout in the morning. Sounds like an absolutely awesome way to start the day.

2. Ana-Maria January 6, 2011 at 7:49 am #

That is amazing particularly given that it is so hard to run fast first thing in the morning! Great job! And I can’t believe all the stuff you carried with you, girly girl:)

3. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef January 6, 2011 at 8:00 am #

good workout! i love getting my workouts done in the AM too. so much easier that way.

4. Karyn January 6, 2011 at 8:32 am #

i cannot wait to get back to the track! great job on the workout. i’m living vicariously through you :)

5. Kristy January 6, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Sounds like a great workout! I love hitting the track in the morning too!

6. Kristen January 6, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Brrr!! I was out with the dogs that early and it was cold out!! Great job though on the workout – what a great way to start the day.

7. Jaime January 6, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Love the new design, by the way!

I do all of my track workouts it the morning, too – I like it better that way!! Track makes me antsy, so I have to do it first thing in the AM.

Great job on your workout!!!

8. Britt @ Runnerbelle January 6, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Great job!!
    I wish I could get out on the track near me, but it is a little covered in snow at the moment. So treadmill for me for now.

9. jamie January 6, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Awesome first track workout! I give you mad props waking that early to run the track in the dark!

10. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 6, 2011 at 11:30 am #

First, I absolutely love the new format of your blog! Crazy awesome workout speedy woman and you woke up so early! Love that your work has a shower!! K, I am going to be in San fran April 11-15 so can we PRETTY PLEASE go for a run!! Oh I am just giggling thinking about it!

11. tntcoachken January 6, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Wow, you guys are hardcore! Morning darkness is for sleeping……………. HA

12. J January 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

My monday mornings are exactly like that! I have my purse, breakfast, lunch, clothes for work after I workout at the gym in the morning, and then my yoga stuff for yoga class after work! Its a lot of stuff! I usually buy coffee at work those days because I don’t have enough hands! Great job on the track workout! I wish i could find ppl to run with me in the morning!

13. Marlene January 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Haha, look at all that stuff! Sometimes I seriously feel like I am moving out when I leave the house in the morning with a run bag for lunch, gym bag for after work and my massive lunch!

AWESOME work at the track. I would love to have a morning group to meet!

14. Kim January 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

oooh LOVE the track workout, I need to try new things (which I agree, are scary!) and meet up with the running club in my neighborhood and do one some morning! I love the showering at work, my last job had one and it was so great having access to it, something I really miss now! I especially loved lunch time runs, it did wonders with getting my blood pumping and getting me refocused to plow through my work :)

15. Michaela January 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

Thank you for this! It’s a reminder that I need to get back to my morning track group as well! And yes, I totally agree — running circles in the dark when it’s foggy and cold and you’re half asleep can be such a surreal experience. But it’s a great way to start the morning. :)

16. Christine January 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

Sounds perfect!! I’m looking for running groups before/after work, but most of them don’t meet during winter time. I hope it will work out in spring. It’s so motivating to run in a group. Everybody has the same interest and you don’t feel like a running freak :)

17. Nicole January 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

woot! :) what a fun workout! great job!

18. Jim Weatherly January 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Great workout! I always dread track work becaus I know my heart is gonna beat out of my chest – but it feels great when its over. Good luck – be great today!

19. Katie V. January 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

huge props for the 430am wake up. I just can’t get past that….

20. the dawn January 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

WOW! this is my new look at all the site!!! looks amazing! i LOVE it!

good work at the track! one and two mile intervals, that’s amazing. i’m super intimidated by the longer repeats, cause then it ends up feeling more like a tempo run…

way to get back to the track and nail it!

21. Laura January 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Yay for track workouts! I had a great one today too…and I’m not even going to feel discouraged that a few of my 400s were run at the same pace as your miles.

I did get your email about this gathering and I WILL WRITE YOU BACK. Aaahh! I’m so bad! I may just show up for these occasionally on the Wednesdays I work in San Ramon. Thanks for the invite!

22. Jamie aka heatrunner January 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

I WISH we had showers at work. I would TOTALLY run to work! OR at least at lunch or something. Also, track workouts sound fun. I should look into this. Great job for getting out there and trying something new! I know, it can be scary. :)

23. Stacie January 7, 2011 at 12:53 am #

Wow! That sounds like a great workout! I have never worked out on a track before… sounds like I might need to incorporate that into my routine!

1. Boston training: week 2 | runner's rambles - January 9, 2011