2011: new year, new goals, new look

New Year

Happy 2011! I find it so refreshing to start a new year with a clean slate and a lot to look forward to. I am really excited for this year and all the fun things that are on their way!  So many possibilities, who knows what will happen.

New Goals

I have thought a lot about what I want to accomplish in 2011 and how I want to approach it, and one thing that really has jumped out at me is I don’t want to have my year planned out.  The last couple years I have had my full race schedule with a list of goals to go with it all set out at the very beginning of the year which doesn’t give me a whole lot of room to change my mind.

This year I have my spring marathons planned out with Boston and Big Sur, but besides that I really don’t know what I want to do yet.  I don’t even know if I am going to run a half marathon between now and then!  *gasp*

I have no idea how I am going to feel after those races and I don’t want to decide what I am going to do until I know how I feel.  My goals may change after those races depending on how they go and they may stay exactly the same, who knows.  All I know is I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head and I don’t know what one will take preference just yet.

Maybe I will want to run a trail ultra
Maybe I will want to train hard for a half marathon
Maybe I will want to trail for another fast marathon
Maybe I will want to train for a tough marathon
Maybe I will want to pace a marathon
Maybe I will want to ride a century ride and be on my bike more

Too many maybes for me to make any decisions for sure right now on what will happen in the second half of the year.

So what are my goals for this year?

Be in the present.

I want to not set any goals just yet.  I want to be in the present more and worry about now or the current race I am training for, rather than what I might want to do 8 months down the road.  I want to be able to change my mind (not that I couldn’t before), change my goals and do something completely different if I want to without feeling boxed in.

I feel like right now I have big overall running goals but they don’t necessarily have to be achieved this year or set specifically for 2011.  They will happen eventually but don’t need to have a time limit set on them.  Everything I do in the meantime is just working towards bigger goals down the future, because as we all know, once one goal is achieved, another one is set.

Be unpredictable.

I want 2011 NOT to look like the last 3 years.  The last 3 falls have been pretty much identical and it needs to change.

I want to run new races and try new things and not do the same races I have done year after year.  Although a couple of my favorites races will still find their way onto my schedule I am sure, I am hoping to make the majority of them something new.

For instance, I have instructed a few of my friends not to let me run CIM this year.  Although it’s one of my favorites races and I am sure I am going to want to sign up when it gets later into the year, it’s time for a break.  I have ran it 3 years in a row and it’s time to try something new.  I can come back next year if I really miss it that much.

Be involved.

I do know I want to learn more about running, help others out and really reach out to be more involved the running community.

I am getting my RRCA coaching license in February, I am becoming more involved through the SF Marathon Ambassador program and the Nike Women’s Make Yourself Movement, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  I have ideas, plans and dreams I want to put into motion this year that have nothing to do with how fast I am running or how many miles I want to run a week.

New look

Tonight the blog is going to be down for a little while getting a make-over!  I am going to be switching platforms and will have a whole new look very soon.  You will be noticing some changes happening, but the content will be the same. Hopefully this change should make my blog easier to use, more interactive in the comments section, and just be prettier to look at.  I am SO excited for the change, but bear with me as I get used to everything.  Make sure to click out of your readers late tonight or tomorrow to check it out!

2011!

So who knows what 2011 really has in store for me just yet.  All I know is 2011 is going to be exciting and fun and I can’t wait!  It starts off with the marathon I have been dreaming of since before I crossed the finish line of my first one.  Only time will tell what will follow as I continue to write my running story everyday, and I can’t wait to bring you along with me!

, ,

25 Responses to 2011: new year, new goals, new look

1. Zoe January 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Happy New Year!! I can’t wait to hear about your marathons for this year! Boston…yeah!!! You rock!

2. Stuart January 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Love the new look, very slick!

3. Tara January 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Love the new look and love this post! Excited for 2011 and too see where it takes you :)

4. Marci January 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Love the new look Aron, Happy New Year!

5. Toronto Girl West January 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Way to pimp out the blog!!!!!! It’s awesome!!!!!! :)

6. Marathon Maritza January 3, 2011 at 2:06 am #

I really love the new layout, so clean and crisp!

I’m really excited to ‘follow’ you through all your goals for 2011. I especially like the ‘being in the moment’ goal, which I think will really push you to appreciate every little triumph and learning experience, instead of possibly glossing over it to focus on what’s next. I’m going to try to follow that too….GREAT INSPIRATION.

Love and miss you, xoxo

7. Denise January 3, 2011 at 5:08 am #

new site looks good!!

i’m with you…i’m not making big plans or goals this year. but i will be trying lots of new stuff!!

8. erika January 3, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Boston!!! eeekk! happy new years!

9. Felice January 3, 2011 at 8:00 am #

Love the new look! You’re already getting unpredictable :-)

Happy new year!

10. Nicole January 3, 2011 at 8:22 am #

Love love LOVE the new look gf!!!!!! :-)

2011 will be the year of uncertainty & living by the moment! Absolutely perfect!

So excited to follow you in 2011!

xoxo

11. Kim January 3, 2011 at 8:27 am #

I love the new look of your site!!! It looks absolutely fantastic :) 2011 will be a fantastic year! I’m looking forward to following your journey in 2011 :)

12. The Laminator January 3, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Ooh, I like the new look Aron! You beat me to a blog makeover. Haha!
    I have a feeling 2011 is going to be adventurous, fun, and totally awesome for you.
    I look forward to tagging along for the ride this year :) Yay!

13. Darlene January 3, 2011 at 9:18 am #

I like the new look!

14. Michelle January 3, 2011 at 10:53 am #

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months (SO inspirational!!) and I love the new look! Looking forward to following along — 2011 sounds like it’s going to be an amazing year for you!

15. Jess January 3, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Love the new look, and best of luck with everything in 2011!

16. lacey January 3, 2011 at 11:55 am #

hooray makeover!!!!!!!!! it’s always so mind clearing to do that. feels really good :) looks good, too!!!!!!!

i love your goals! bring on the year :)

i had a funny “being unpredictable” moment in college. my friend was telling me i’m so predictable etc etc (we were on the phone) so i threw a mini tantrum and said “predict this!” and hung up :) it was AWESOME :) heheheheh. he was actually on his way over so we had a good laugh about it when he got to my room. lol.

17. Ana-Maria January 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

Happy New Year!
    I love the new look, and love the goals, too!

18. shelly January 3, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

I love the attitude. I don’t usually plan for races (which means Idon’t always get to do races that need pre-registration 3/4 of a year in advance). I usually “plan” for maybe 3 months and then see what life brings. So far my only race plan is my March ultras. I really just want to find a way back to enjoying everything more. I’ve lost that a bit.

Your new look is great. I know you will get all your wants/wills done in style! How exciting to not know exactly how it will all play out!

19. J January 3, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Love the new look Aron! Its really cute! I love your goals too! I find that having a general idea for the year is nice, but things change so some flexibility is good!

20. Mica January 4, 2011 at 5:37 am #

I love the blog’s new look! It looks great, very sleek!

Your “non goal” goals are really fantastic, especially getting your coaching license! I’m sure that you have tons to offer other runners!!

1. Boston training: week 1 | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] things first, what do you think of the new look?!?  I love it and have to give a HUGE thank you to Ryan Sullivan at Revive My Blog for [...]

2. Involved | runner's rambles - January 27, 2011

[...] of my goals for 2011 was to become more involved in the running community.  So far this year I have already [...]

3. June | runner's rambles - June 30, 2011

[...] are half way through 2011!  How on earth did that happen?  Weren’t we just celebrating New Years [...]

4. 2011 | runner's rambles - January 6, 2012

[...] this year started I had 3 goals.  These were very different goals from what I had done in prior years.  No time goals, no set [...]

5. Not Just 2012 Goals | runner's rambles - January 10, 2012

[...] Last year I decided to change it up and set different kind of goals.  Goals that pertained to an attitude and outlook on the year, rather than hard cut number goals.  It worked, I liked it and I finished the year feeling very successful and accomplished and learned a lot as well.  Looking forward I want to continue to embrace those goals from last year. [...]