post-CIM thoughts

CIM 220b

where i ramble…

i swear this course gets harder each year.  the rolling hills are great but wow they can take their toll on your legs…. which is why this race always beats me up pretty good, my quads are mad!  but that makes me happy, i know i gave it a good effort.

i was complaining about my feet hurting after the race and when i took off my shoes i found out why – holy blisters!  so weird, i haven’t had any for a while.  i think it might just be from running hard going up and down hills but who knows?

sometimes i wonder if everything going into a race goes too perfectly or smoothly that the race itself won’t follow suit.  my best races have happened after bus mishaps or running late to the start line… just a thought?

a few of the series of thoughts going through my head during the later miles in CIM…

• i am done with “racing” fast marathons.
  • i should see how many marathons i can run at a slower/more comfortable pace, then they are more enjoyable and i can just run because i love to run!
  • maybe i should just register for napa this year and run it for fun/as a training run for boston.
  • i am definitely not racing boston.
  • i am definitely racing boston.
  • i really want to run an ultra.
  • blizzard, blizzard, blizzard (as in dairy queen blizzard which i did finally get post race)

… obviously all these thoughts don’t necessarily come into fruition when the race is actually over and you return to a normal mind set, but i was laughing at myself on sunday remembering all the things i was thinking about.

i am really getting pumped about boston training and have lots of things in my mind about how i want to train for it.  i have learned a lot about myself as a runner this year and definitely want to use it to my advantage this cycle.  i still want to make sure i think things through in regards to a training plan but i have a good idea of what i am going to do and am starting to put it on paper.  132 days!

fall 2008 and 2009 matched each other perfectly with getting faster and reaching my goals in the same races,  and fall 2010 was kind of different.  i ran the same races, but i wasn’t reaching the goals like i wanted and didn’t have the exact races i wanted, but i am kind of glad.  i have broken the cycle and am ready to start a different one.  things don’t need to be exactly the same each year, and PRs don’t need to be on the exact same races each year.  i have lots of thoughts for what i want to do in 2011 which i will share later, but i definitely know that i don’t want it to mimic the last couple years.  i want 2011 to stand apart from them all.

and speaking of breaking cycles, my PR shirt is no more (i had worn it in both CIM PRs and both shamrock’n half PRs) and i am glad!  i get a tad superstitious regarding certain things and am glad i don’t have to deal with a stigma around the shirt anymore.  or the blue nail polish (which chris is thrilled about).  sounds very silly but i am sure you all get it ;)

i had a massage on monday which was great with lots of stretching and loosening up the sore muscles.  i have also definitely treated myself with food i don’t typically eat the last two days: pancakes, mac and cheese (the good kind), dairy queen blizzard, coffee cake, a giant cookie and taco bell.  as of today i will be back on the healthy horse, but i always love letting myself eat whatever i want for a day or two post race.

as always THANK YOU for all your amazing support, comments and congratulations.  every single comment puts a smile on my face and i am really grateful to have such awesome readers and friends!  i love hearing what you guys have to say and it always makes me think and reflect on everything going on.  i really truly appreciate it.

27 Responses to post-CIM thoughts

1. Emz December 7, 2010 at 11:51 am #

RUN
    THE
    ULTRA!!!

For sure!!

I'm with you . . .after January 16th. I'm taking a break from "racing". I want to run to run again.

2. The Hungry Runner Girl December 7, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Excited to see your Boston training plan:)

Sounds like your marathon was a tough course. I have had those exact same thoughts during a marathon…… I totally understand! DQ, cookies and mac and cheese…yum!

3. k December 7, 2010 at 11:55 am #

I love your attitude. I think that's what keeps me coming back to your blog :) Congratulations on a great season!
    Good luck with the Boston training cycle.

4. Marlene December 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

I laughed out loud reading the thoughts that went through your head. I'm sure there are all kinds of other doozies that you won't remember. :)

Awesome on the massage, and glad you have been treating yourself to some yumminess that you normalyl wouldn't. mMMMMMMMmmm Blizzard! (althogh it is way too cold here to think about ice cream)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for 2011. Totally know what you mean about breaking the cycle. Time for some new stuff!

5. Morgan December 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Totally cracking up at all the randomness. You are def post-marathon girl!

I think we all get sucked into race day/training superstitions, I'll be curious to see what sticks the next go around. I think a new outfit is in order for Boston because it's Boston Baby and you gotta have a special outfit for that! :)

6. Nicole December 7, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

I love the randomness! :) Your attitude is perfect! Im so excited to follow you on your journey to boston! :)

7. Nelly December 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Great post, during a marathon it does seem like random thoughts go through your head. I think I was questioning life, or why I am voluntary subjecting myself to this kind of punishment, haha But getting to the finish line makes it all worth it =)

And that's awesome that you had a dairy queen blizzard, those are amazing.

8. marathonmaiden December 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

random thoughts ALWAYS fly through my head during every race hahah!

i'm starting to get pumped for Boston too even though i definitely thought i'd be drained after WR

and i'm totally thinking of doing cim next year :)

9. Amber (Girl with the red hair) December 7, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Hahaha I love all your random thoughts! I was thinking "I'm NEVER doing anotehr marathon" in the last few miles of mine. And now I'm 95% sure I'm doing one in May!

I think you should run Boston hard – but not so hard you don't enjoy it!! I think the adrenaline and environment will be enough to make you run harder than ever! I'm so excited to follow your training for it :)

10. TinaGirl December 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

I know there was a lot of negitive talk this year. My feet were covered in blisters too but I think the wet streets didn't help. There was a lot of moisture in my socks.

I'm thinking of doing Napa in preperation for the Sunsweet 50k in april and the 21 mile race at Big Sur in may!

11. ShutUpandRun December 7, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Just finished reading your race report and post CIM thoughts. Aron, you raced so smart. You trained well. You fueled well. Like you said, the marathon is a thing to be respected, it is SO hard. Mabye it was the heat, your stomach, whatever, but you still ran an amazing race.

See you in Boston!! And no, your BQ last year was no fluke.

12. Tim F December 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Aron, you had an awesome year and years. It is always a pleasure to read your blog. You have accomplished alot.

13. J December 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

I think its time you ran an ultra! You have been wanting to run one for so long! And maybe semi race Boston! Run semi fast but enjoy your first Boston!

14. ERG December 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

You have a great blog here, fellow Boston 2011 racer!

I laughed at the conflicting ideas you had during the last few miles- I remember thinking to myself at mile 20 or 22 (of my only so far), "NOBODY FORCED YOU TO DO THIS. IT WAS YOUR IDEA" lol… =D

15. bloggerboyrun December 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

You're an inspiration! And running an ultra would be an awesome goal to accomplish after running Boston!

16. twentysixandthensome.com December 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

blizard, blizard, blizard! ha! i love it!

After races is the one time I'll admit to eating In 'N Out (the grilled cheese)…so enjoy these two days!

17. Erika December 7, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

Can't wait to follow you through Boston!

18. Jamie December 7, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

congrats on another CIM finish! you had a very good race! Isn't it crazy all the random, often contradictory stuff that runs through your head later in the marathon?!?

19. Carlee December 8, 2010 at 2:42 am #

Definitely excited to hear about your next plan; I always like looking at what you come up with.

Totally get it about the "lucky" shirt and nail polish. I'm very guilty myself, and it all stems back to 6th grade when I got really into swim team and meets…

20. Denise December 8, 2010 at 5:16 am #

the need to race will come back quickly, i'm sure. i'm bummed i can't race my marathon this wknd.

ultra training is fun and i think you'd like it since you love putting in so many miles. the only thing is that it slows you down…

21. Nitmos December 8, 2010 at 6:43 am #

Yes, may as well "race" Boston. How many opportunities, right? After that, just gowith whatever you feel like doing….take it easy for a marathon or three but, I bet, the racing bug will return. Great job!

22. Susan December 8, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Yesterday I was thinking about how I would love to have a recording of what goes through my head while running and especially during the later miles of a marathon…the randomness is crazy and I love it!

I did a random marathon-length run a few weeks ago and it was slowwwww but it was lots of fun and the recovery time was non-existent…definitely made me want to do ultras and run a marathon without any race goals! You'll love Boston so be sure it soak it all in!!

23. the dawn December 8, 2010 at 10:02 am #

i love that you're definitely racing boston AND definitely not racing boston. pretty much sounds like you're in my head right now. i want to do both of those things with all of my heart, and i don't know which side is going to win…

24. Kiley December 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Hey, I just started reading your blog. You are very inspiring!! Someday I will run a marathon too! Keep it up, I love the motivation.

25. Shane December 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

I laughed when I read your thoughts during the marathon.

I had similar ones during my first half in October. I think my overriding thought was:

'I am a 10k runner, leave it at that'.

Of course on completion of the half I denied having such thoughts ,-)

26. The Laminator December 9, 2010 at 10:50 am #

What a coincidence…I had those exact thoughts while running Chicago, especially the part about racing fast marathons, not racing Boston and running an ultra! Haha!
    You did good Aron. Proud of you =)

27. Tara December 10, 2010 at 10:41 am #

I am definitely ready for 2011 to stand out! Excited to see what your plans are for Boston and the rest of the year :)