day one

today is day one of boston training… 16 weeks to go!

boston training plan1

i talked about my training plan in this post, but didn’t necessarily talk about the structure of it.

most of my weeks will typically look like this:

monday: rest
tuesday: easy + hills
wednesday: interval
thursday: medium long/general aerobic
friday: tempo
saturday: easy
sunday: long

there will be some weeks, including cut back weeks, that vary from this format, but after messing around with my schedule i found this worked best for me.

like my typical mondays, training started off with a rest day!  some people find that having a rest day on mondays is hard since they like to start the week off on the right foot with exercise, but i find that using mondays as rest days gives me a chance to recharge from the weekend, catch up on anything i didn’t get done, and let my body recovery from my long run on sunday.  i usually am tired and have a hard time getting going on mondays anyway, so this has worked well for me.

many schedules have track workouts/intervals on tuesdays, and i used to do them that day as well, but have found i have much more success at them when i have an easy run day in between my long run and my interval run.  so that’s what i did!  plus i have a group to go workout with on wednesday, which also really helps.

this week will look a little different since i am not planning on starting my intervals yet.  i wanted to have a month between CIM and starting up speed work again to make sure i was completely recovered, so those will start next week, while i continue to build the miles this week.

no plan is perfect for any one person, so always make your plan work for you

25 Responses to day one

1. runningwithsass.com December 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

good luck with your training plan! how exciting!

2. Keri December 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

I definitely agree. I like Brad Hudson's plans because he emphasizes adapting your plan to how you feel that day. I started today with a track workout on the treadmill :(

3. misszippy December 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

I'm a Monday rest day girl too! Looks like you have a great plan

4. ERG December 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm #

Looks like a fabulous schedule to me!!

You are going to rock it!

Hope we can meet at B!

5. ERG December 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm #

that's a lot of exclamation points =D !!!!

6. Christine December 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm #

Awesome, training starts with a rest day, that's my kind of training :) Good luck and enjoy training for Boston, those 16 weeks will go by faster than you think!

7. Adrienne December 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Very jealous- my plan right now involves very little running as I am 37 weeks pregnant…. I cannot wait until February when I can finally get serious about it!

8. twentysixandthensome.com December 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

One day down…only 112 more to go (if my math is right…which is always questionable)

9. Detroit Runner December 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

Using Higdon's Intermediate plan and seems to be working great for me. Good luck in Boston. It would be incredible to be there. I have to get older first so I can qualify – LOL.

10. Nicole December 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

looks like you have a great plan all set for you! so excited to follow you on your journey to boston! let the training and fun begin!

11. RunningLaur December 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

Love Monday rest day! It's always the best way to start a schedule, haha.
    Really, it's nice to catch up on a Monday, since weekends are now for challenging ourselves!

12. Bethany + Ryan December 28, 2010 at 4:16 am #

good thing you and a couple of other bloggers posted about 16 weeks out of Boston, i had no clue, lol. thanks. i need to get with it…

13. fancy nancy December 28, 2010 at 4:16 am #

Monday rest days don't work for me since I'm a teacher and running around all day but it would be nice to have a day to recharge after the weekend! LET'S GO BOSTON!!!! It is the best race ever but I am biased!!!

14. LindsLovesMiles December 28, 2010 at 6:00 am #

Good luck with your training!! I always have Monday rest days too! I try to get all those tedious little errands done that day and then focus the rest of the week on running! You are going to do great!!!

15. lindsay December 28, 2010 at 7:43 am #

i have a hard time with mondays off too. usually. lately it seems i do not have such a problem with that, haha. :)

16. runner26 December 28, 2010 at 8:32 am #

omg. boston is the same week as my due date..so 16 weeks only!? yikes.

your plan looks great! i remember using mondays as rest days during training, which i liked, but sometimes the sunday long run was not always convenient. hopefully you will be able to play with that if necessary. Good luck!!

17. Denise December 28, 2010 at 9:17 am #

sounds like a good plan! i'm 12 weeks out from RACING shamrock and i have NO plan. then boston right after it. this should be interesting…

18. Tara December 28, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Looks like a great plan for you! I have been definitely liking having Mondays off to catch-up on things :)

19. Jo Lynn December 28, 2010 at 10:35 am #

What I can tell then is NYE is not going to work out for us to hike or run. That's ok. We'll do it some other time. ;)

20. Susan December 28, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Yayyyy good luck training!!

21. Nelly December 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Looks like a great schedule, I bet everything will go fine!

22. Carlee December 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

I run a creative writing club after school on Mondays, so they are my rest day too! Looks like a great plan.

23. eatreadrun.com December 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I feel a little better that you are doing a 16 week boston training plan. I was schedule to do 18, but these past two weeks have been so tough with Christmas travels and work stuff. So I feel like I am officially starting this week. Happy training!!

24. Jess December 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Hard to believe it's already only 16 weeks away! Good luck and have fun with your training!

1. Boston Training: Week 16 | runner's rambles - April 17, 2011