2010

i like waiting until the year is very close to over before i do my recap, and i guess it’s close enough!

2010 has been an interesting and very fun year to say the least.

if you were to look at my goals for this year and measure my success by how many i accomplished, it wouldn’t be the best of years, especially not compared to 2009.  however, i am not measuring the success of this year on those goals or on any numbers on the clock.

for me, 2010 was about finding who i am as a runner.  it was about finding out what i really loved about the sport.  i pushed myself, i succeeded and i fell short, but most importantly i wasn’t afraid to try and i didn’t give up.

i learned a lot this year…

• my success in running is not defined by my marathons or by a number on the clock.
  • i love to run, even without a training cycle.
  • i love to run on dirt, on roads, on sidewalks, in the rain and even in the heat.
  • i love to run alone, with people, with my dogs.
  • life doesn’t always revolve around running, and that is ok!

and most of all, i learned i am a runner.

i always knew it, but when i was tested without a training cycle, without always having a huge goal in my face, when it wasn’t necessarily the #1 thing on my priority list, when the newness wore off and PRs didn’t necessarily come frequently, and i still got out there and was running, that’s when i really knew.  it’s just a part of who i am now.

a lot happened in 2010!

i set a half marathon PR, i ran a bunch of trail races, 8 half marathons, 2 great marathons and had some really strong training cycles before them.  i challenged myself at the track, i ran a marathon then a relay then a half marathon on back to back to back weekends, and i ran the muddiest trail half marathon ever. i met a ton of friends, i was brave and joined a running group, i got to be the matron of honor in my little brother’s wedding, i became an ambassador for the SF marathon, and i was asked to be part of the nike women’s make yourself movement.  i set new personal bests in yearly mileage (2,235.8), monthly mileage (263.1), and weekly mileage (70.1).

it was a great year.

what is in store for 2011?

stay tuned…

27 Responses to 2010

1. Christine December 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

LOVE the video, what a great idea!!! And the songs fits perfectly :)

You had a great 2010!! Congrats!

2. Tara December 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

You definitely had a great year and I am very excited to see what you have in store for 2011! Love the video! <3

3. Nelly December 29, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

That is an awesome idea to make a video, great job! Your 2010 year just reinforces that running is all about the people you enjoy it with and less about your actual race times. Very inspirational video.

4. simplyrunningonfaith December 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

I LOVED that slideshow! It got me so excited for another year of running – so thankful to have met you this year!

5. Nicole December 29, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

I LOVE your year wrap ups! I look forward to every video and always end up crying. Especially the picture of you and me at long beach… I remember how much pain i was in when you scraped me off the pavement & helped me finish. :) Here is to another great year! SO excited to see what 2011 has in store for you!

6. Katie V. December 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

Sounds like a fantastic year!

7. kelly December 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

I could only wish to have as much fun and great adventures in running in 2011 as you did in 2010! Thanks for sharing your 2010 journey! Loved the video!

8. twentysixandthensome.com December 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

So cute!!! I just made Josh watch that whole video with me…the best is yet to come! Congrats on an awesome year :)

9. Rachel December 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

love the video – you definitely had a busy and successful year with a whole lot of running! looking forward to hearing your plans for 2011 : ) here's to another great year!

10. Bethany + Ryan December 30, 2010 at 3:50 am #

you had an awesome year! seemed you always had something fun planned! your bullet points are great! definitely a successful year! Happy new year to you and your husband!

11. abbi December 30, 2010 at 4:37 am #

Loved the videa. Great 2010 and happy new year to you!

12. Jess December 30, 2010 at 5:54 am #

Wow Aron, you've definitely had an awesome year. Wishing you even more running success in 2011.

13. ShutUpandRun December 30, 2010 at 6:41 am #

You did so much this year; love the video and the song.

I think one of the greatest things about your year is that you stayed healthy and took care of yourself. No major injuries. Incredible!!

14. Heather December 30, 2010 at 7:39 am #

What an awesome year, way to go!

15. Jim Weatherly December 30, 2010 at 8:16 am #

I love what you said about the clock not defining you as a runner. If we always let our times dictate who we are, we will often be disappointed. Great job in 2010 & good luck in '11!

16. Susan December 30, 2010 at 8:36 am #

I always love your picture videos! :)

I think that running without a goal race in mind is a great way to realize how much you love to run…it wasn't until I started doing random long runs just because I wanted to that I realized how much I just love being out there!

17. Lisa December 30, 2010 at 8:39 am #

fun video!

18. marathonmaiden December 30, 2010 at 10:47 am #

i'm waiting until tmrw for my recap because i want to include my totals for the year and heck yes i'm running. hopefully i'll end 2010 with a bang run :)

fun video. and fun year. very jam packed!

19. Shawn December 30, 2010 at 11:01 am #

I love your positive approach to what you say hasn't been a great year. I hope you carry that forward into the new year with you.

Congratuations :D

20. seejessrun December 30, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Wow you had a fantastic year! So much quality racing.

21. Carolina John December 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Nice! Well done, Aron. you took 2010 and kicked it hard. Here's to a great 2011 too!

22. The Laminator December 31, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Great job on 2010! I think it's so funny how our running careers follow such a similar path. I think one of my major successes this year was also in finding and defining who I am as a runner!

Looking forward to a fantastic 2011 from you! Happy New Year :)

23. tntcoachken January 4, 2011 at 5:18 am #

The video is so cool! I even viewed 2009, great job.

24. Kristin January 11, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Love this video, it made me cry!! I’m so glad running brought us together and we are doing amazing things because of it. What a fun and crazy year. 2011 is going to be so out of control awesome though, I just know it!!

1. december | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] i already recapped 2010 i almost forgot to do my standard monthly recap, but i can’t leave out this month, it was a [...]

2. 28 things | runner's rambles - January 15, 2011

[...] 28.  Since my birthday is at the beginning of the year a lot of it will be the same as my 2010 recap, but in a bit of a different [...]

3. Boston Training: Week 1 | runner's rambles - May 19, 2011