week 15

ahhhhhh!

wednesday afternoon i started feeling better, and felt better and better each day.  i still am a little sniffly but nothing i can’t deal with.  i am continuing to get a lot of rest and take care of myself.

we headed down south to my parents house for thanksgiving and i got LOTS of rest and got in some running too.  i didn’t stick to my schedule exactly but still got a couple great runs in and the mileage i hoped to.

thursday – thanksgiving!
progression run made up by me

chris and i drove to avila beach on thanksgiving morning and i had a great run.  my legs felt pretty good from the get go and i kept trying to slow them down, but a few miles into the run i realized i was getting faster every mile.  by mile 6 i knew i was going to negative split every mile if i pushed it the last 2, so i did.  first mile was 8:33 and last mile was 7:46, all progressively faster in the middle!

8.0 miles/1:06:16/8:17 avg pace

we had a great thanksgiving with lots of family and food!

friday
4 -  7 distance

i met up with my friend jessica for a run and to work off some of the food consumed the day before.  it was a chilly morning and we had a great time chatting and discussing CIM plans (she is running it too!).  the miles ticked by and we had to force ourselves to turn around at 3.5.

7.0 miles/1:04:04/9:09 avg pace

saturday
7 – 10 with 2×20 min at marathon tempo, 8 min recovery

i ended up sleeping in late again and was anxious to hit the road to get back to the bay area, so i postponed my run until we got home.  around 3:30 i went out without really any intentions, but knew i wanted to get this tempo run in from earlier in the week.  once i got going i knew it was going to be a great run.  my first mile was 8:26, so i started into the tempo miles at mile 2.

the pace felt effortless and was a little faster than the “marathon tempo” pace i had been practicing at but i just went with it.  i kept having to reign in my legs even going up hill and everything was clicking at this pace.

1st set: 2.5 miles @ 7:59
2nd set: 2.5 miles @ 7:58

i felt so great after this run and was so glad i was able to get it in.

8.0 miles/1:05:12/8:09 avg pace

sunday
10 – 13 easy steady paced

last long run!

i decided to let myself sleep in a little bit again and was out the door around 8:30 and it was 35 degrees and sunny (loooove)!  i ran from my house and headed to the connecting town where i ended up exploring a few new trails and having fun running around on the cold morning.

my legs were feeling great immediately again and i made sure i wasn’t pushing too hard.  i eventually had to turn myself around because i knew i was going to be gone for too long, and even had to take a short cut home because of my detours.  the last couple miles i really had to hold back because my legs wanted to gooooo but i am trying to save that for next weekend.

some scenery on my detours…

1128.1

1128.2

12.0 miles/1:43:38/8:38 avg pace

total for the week: 40.0 miles/5:44:04/8:36 avg pace

so now here we are, one week from race day.  i walked around the neighborhood a bit after my long run listening to my music and thinking about the race coming up.  i am really excited, i feel ready and i am getting nervous too!  i can’t believe its already here and i have 15 weeks of training behind me (which will be recapped towards the end of the week).

this coming week i have a couple short runs, a couple runs with some short marathon pace work and lots of rest.  i am sure all the standard race week craziness will be happening too, but i know i am ready.

one week to go!

19 Responses to week 15

1. the dawn November 28, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

after coming out of your "run for fun" summer, you have done an amazing job training for this marathon! you are going to do amazing! i can't wait to read about your goals, the race, and then how you feel about your self-designed training schedule. you are amazing!

2. Heather November 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Glad you are feeling better – great runs this weekend!

3. Running and living November 29, 2010 at 4:42 am #

Glad things are clicking for you, and that you are feeling better! Those runs are awesome!

4. Vava November 29, 2010 at 6:06 am #

Wow! Fantastic running! You are going to have a marathon to remember I think and I am looking forward to reading all about your success. Good luck!!!

5. Staci Dombroski November 29, 2010 at 6:31 am #

Such gorgeous pictures! I love to have beautiful scenery on the runs!

6. ShutUpandRun November 29, 2010 at 6:37 am #

Glad you're feeling better. It's almost race time. Here's hoping for some of that great weather you had this weekend.

7. J November 29, 2010 at 7:06 am #

I am so glad you are feeling good and ready for this race!! Your paces are awesome!! This week is going to fly by and before you know it will be race time!

8. Tara November 29, 2010 at 7:27 am #

SO glad you're feeling better and you have happy legs! Can't wait to cheer you on next weekend! :)

9. Denise November 29, 2010 at 8:17 am #

love when the countdown begins! rest up, you have a big wknd ahead of you!

10. Marlene November 29, 2010 at 11:09 am #

It's RACE WEEK! Awesome job on those holiday miles. Nothing like some quality taper runs!

11. Chic Runner November 29, 2010 at 11:58 am #

YAY! Glad that you are finally feeling better and ready to crush cim!! You have done all t he training and I can't' wait to hear about it all. I will be cheering for you from my computer all morning :)

12. Sassy Molassy November 29, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Nice work! That's always a great feeling to have just 1 week left til marathon day! Your thankful list is great too. Always love seeing runners bundled up in gear for some reason.

13. Petraruns November 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

You are SO ready for this – keep that juice in the box girlfriend!

14. Pretend this is real November 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there!

15. Christine November 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

I'm soo happy you are feeling better and had such a great running week! You will do AWESOME at the CIM! Can't wait for your race report, I'm excited for you :)

16. Nicole November 29, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

You got this sister!!! Race face! :) Keep an eye on your post box… snail mail coming your way!!! <3 <3 let race week madness commence!

17. ERG November 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm #

Hi! I followed you over from Jenn's blog (Running Sane).

I hope you ROCK CIM (I think that's what race you are doing (?) !! I have family that way and almost signed up for it this year…maybe next year :) You sound very ready!
    Love that course :))

1. november | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] of crazy month for me when you think about it… from peak week, to starting to taper, to going deep into taper, to the beginning of race [...]

2. Boston training: week 4 | runner's rambles - January 23, 2011

[...] a cut back week.  We ran into Clayton and I took her on some of my favorite spots that I had discovered in [...]