week 14

taper is here.

i had planned on taking my mileage down to 80% of peak (70) which is 56 miles… well things don’t always go as planned.  i opted to take an extra rest day this week, which made my miles a little lower than i hoped… oh well.  the miles i did run were good and my legs are feeling more rested already and that’s what matters most.

saturday
8 – 11 miles with 30 – 40 minutes continuous marathon tempo

well this was the 10k race so it was faster than marathon tempo, but since i missed my speed work earlier this week, i figured it was a good compromise.

with my warm up and cool down i got just over 8 miles that day.

8.4 miles/1:06:41/7:59 avg pace

sunday
15 – 18 long

since the weather has been perfect for running, i decided not to set my alarm for once and just sleep.  i slept past 7am which was SO nice.  although i woke up with a sore throat, so this did not make me happy.  i originally had plans to run 17, but i figured i would play it by ear once i got out there and going since i wasn’t feeling that great.

i made it to the start of the lafayette-moraga trail just after 9am.  it was so beautiful out, but i was nervous it was going to rain, so i ended up running in my rain jacket just incase.  i also was wearing my new capri tights that will most likely be worn for CIM since i wanted to make sure they worked a long run (they were great).  i also was testing out wearing 2 sports bras so i could put gu in between them without getting chaffed (worked out perfect!).  all kinds of fun race day things being tested out today!

i started off and was immediately so happy because of my surroundings.  we had a big storm in the bay last night (including thunder and lightening!) so the paved path was covered in leaves and everything was so bright and fresh.  i love running right after a rain storm.

1121.4

although everything was very pretty i could tell my energy was a little low.  this concerned me a bit and but i just kept on running knowing i would take a gu soon and hoped that would help.  after my first gu i started to feel a lot better and just kept on cruising around.

the rain never came but the clouds got dark as i made my way up into moraga.  this made all the other scenery pop and look florescent!

1121.1

by now i was enjoying myself and everything about the run, i was definitely in my happy pace place.

1121.3

i was back at my car at 16 miles so i called it a day.

i couldn’t have asked for a more perfect fall day to be running.

1121.6

16.0 miles/2:19:23/8:43 avg pace

total miles for the week: 48.4/7:01:00/8:42 avg pace

first week of taper complete!  phew.

next week i cut back some more, i was shooting for 60% of peak (42).  i have one shorter speed workout and one marathon tempo run and it’s thanksgiving!  i have a feeling next week is going to fly by, then it was be race week.  yikes.

i can tell i have been fighting something off all week and i DO NOT want to get sick!  i am taking my vitamins, zicam, resting a lot and everything i can think of to keep this thing away.  hopefully it gets the hint and leaves.  the last thing i need is to be sick right before the race.  let me know if you have any miracles on keeping colds away!

TWO weeks to go!

20 Responses to week 14

1. The Hungry Runner Girl November 22, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Beautiful trail! Yay for tapering:)

2. marathonmaiden November 22, 2010 at 8:29 am #

i've been fighting something too. fingers crossed for both of us that we don't get sick!

and wooooooooot (?) tapering. you're going to have to keep me strong to give up my mileage junkies ways these two weeks hahah!

3. Page November 22, 2010 at 8:30 am #

I think it's almost a mental thing before your big race and we become germaphobes. Just stay positive and you'll beat it :)

4. Marlene November 22, 2010 at 9:03 am #

2 sports bras! How smart are you!!

Awesome job on your week. Getting closer now. :D

5. Britt November 22, 2010 at 9:29 am #

Great job! Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and getting good eats!

6. J November 22, 2010 at 10:08 am #

I had a roommate in college from San Fransisco that always said thunder and lightning storms were rare. We get them all the time here in the summer.

Great job on the long run! Its looks like a beautiful trail and run!

7. Jess November 22, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Gorgeous long run, and nice job in the Turkey Trot!

8. Chris November 22, 2010 at 10:51 am #

It sounds gross, but gurgling with warm water with hydrogen peroxide mixed in does wonders for me in stopping a sore throat dead in its tracks. This was a home remedy my ex's family always used – he didn't last, but that tip did! It has not failed me yet!

9. Emz November 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

AMAZING.
    AMAZING photos. Beautiful running location.

10. Rachel November 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

clever on the sports bra trick! that trail looks like a beautiful place for a run : ) can't believe CIM is in 2 weeks! hope you feel better soon and keep the cold at bay.

11. speedvegan.com November 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

I usually take probiotics with my vitamins when I start feeling like I'm coming down with something. It's worth a shot ! Best of luck !

12. Amanda November 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

That trail looks beautiful. I agree about running after a storm.

13. Denise November 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

take the rest you need now so you're healthy come race day!!

14. the dawn November 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

what a beautiful place to run. and what a perfect time to run. enjoy the taper and keep the mental focus. you will surpass all your goals at cim!

15. Nicole November 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

My boyfriend's college roommate swore by never accepting that you were or are getting sick. It always worked for him- even if he was coughing up a lung, he wouldnt allow himself to be sick & he always ALWAYS got over little bug's 20x faster than everyone else! Attitude is a big deal! :)

Great job on all the running girl- your gonna kill it! :) :) Keep a positive mind and rest!!! Thinking of you!

xoxo

16. Jamie November 22, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

very nice first week of taper! run looks beautiful! smart work on the 2 sport bras!

17. Average A November 23, 2010 at 9:23 am #

I swear by the "Coldbuster" smoothie from Jamba Juice. :) (Really.) Plenty of rest and not admitting that I'm sick also works for me! Enjoy your Thanksgiving — you're so set for CIM!

xoxo,
    A

18. Sassy Molassy November 23, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Looks like a beautiful place to run! Hope that cold goes away. I use Emergen-C and zinc lozenges whenever I feel a cold coming on.

19. Chic Runner November 29, 2010 at 11:42 am #

I love those pictures! I'm so jealous that you have such a pretty area to run in and it is fall and changing colors! Great job on your training and I can't wait for you to kill it at CIM! You are going to kick butt and enjoy taper! <3

1. november | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] is a kind of crazy month for me when you think about it… from peak week, to starting to taper, to going deep into taper, to the beginning of race [...]