week 12

and another week close to CIM.  one more big week to go!

i am still feeling good, although i was getting tired towards the end of the week, being able to relax and recover a lot of the weekend has done me good.  i think the last month with minimal social activities has really played a role in me feeling good, calm and not overwhelmed with everything.  i am caught up with things around the house, i have been getting all my chores and errands out of the way during the weekends, and have had time to sit and do nothing… it’s very nice.  after such a crazy busy summer, this is exactly what the doctor ordered to finish off this training cycle strong.

saturday
7 – 10 distance

i woke up very early and met up with kristin for the first time in what felt like forever!  although i didn’t have to be anywhere for the rest of the day, getting to run with friends is worth the wake up call (seems to be the theme of the weekend).  we headed out into the darkness, catching up on life, making plans and just enjoying running together again!  it was barely light by the time we finished up, but she had to get to work so we stopped at 7 miles.  i went home and got another 3 in (1.5 each) with kylie and emma and they definitely appreciated it… although kylie was still raring to go and surprised we were done already!

10.0 miles/1:31:02/9:06 avg pace

sunday
15 – 19 long, easy steady paced

this weekend was the foodbuzz festival and san francisco was filled with bloggers!  last year i had the privilege of running with meghann on an absolutely beautiful morning and this year i got to again, although the weather was completely the opposite.  we had made plans a while back since she is also training for a marathon and it worked out perfectly.  i was really looking forward to going into the city and running with a friend i don’t get to see very often.

i got up very early again, but was thankful for the extra hour of sleep – thank you daylight savings!  i was on the road at 5:15am and in the city just after 5:45am, and it poured the ENTIRE drive.  i knew it was going to be a wet one, so i planned ahead and had my rain jacket this time.  after these rainy long runs lately, i am going to becoming a pro at running in the rain.  i found meghann and we got ready to go.  we waited forever for our garmins to try to connect, but they didn’t and she didn’t have a whole lot of extra time to spare, so we hit the road and knew they would catch on eventually.

it was dark and raining, but it was kind of fun being out there in that craziness.  we saw a few other runners and more as the sun started to come up.  we also ran into A LOT of runners making their way to the US half marathon start line.  the miles were flying by and we were chatting away, not paying any attention to the fact that we were completely soaked.

i was really excited to run across the golden gate bridge this time, since last time it would have been too far.  we made the climb all the way up to the bridge and my normal entrance was locked.  we saw the cones for the race so we went around another direction which was also locked.  there was a guy there working for the race and told us it was closed off… bummer!  we turned around and made our way back, and would just add on at the end.  we ran against a ton of runners running up the hill as we were going down.  i love seeing a race in action!

we continued on and on the way back there was a pretty strong headwind that was blowing the rain at us pretty bad.  luckily it wasn’t freezing cold (the good thing about sf, never too hot, never too cold), but we were definitely soaked.  my garmin had connected a while back but then when on the fritz just like the last time i was in the city.  i don’t think it likes san francisco.  needless to say i couldn’t count on my garmin but didn’t mind.  we were having fun keeping the pace conversational and i never really felt tired.  it was just one of those days that i could have kept running forever, at least if it wasn’t raining.

we headed towards the giants stadium to get our extra mileage and then back to her hotel after 16 miles where we said goodbye.  i had so much fun running with meghann and hope she gets to come back to sf soon to run again!

(photo from meghann)
IMG_3482

i had planned on around 18 so since i was already wet i just kept running.  i had done some math in my head and knew i had a pesky .4 hanging around from earlier in the week, so i decided to get the .6 to even it out.  i reset my garmin since it was way off, and started fresh for the extra portion.  i was enjoying running through my old stomping grounds (i worked in downtown sf for a few years) and before i knew it, i was back at my car and done!  i felt great, besides being soaked, so i changed into some dry clothes and hit the road back to the east bay.

18.6 miles/2:55:19/9:25 avg pace
(guestimate based on what i do have from my garmin)

which finished off my week number 12 with 65 miles!

i have one more big mileage week to go!  this week coming up has a lot of pace work also, which i am excited for.  this past week was mostly easy running, just a lot of it.  i am excited to work hard this coming week and tired myself out a bit… i want to be ready to taper after all :)

4 weeks to go!
(or “one month” for others)

25 Responses to week 12

1. Alisa November 8, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Wow 65 miles —A-MAZ-ING!

Your leggies are going to be sooo ready for CIM.

2. marathonmaiden November 8, 2010 at 7:39 am #

bahaahahha! i LOVE that you linked to me for the one month = 4 weeks hahahahah. oh my weird mind and how i think about time…

can't believe we are soooo close to race day! glad you're feeling good. so am i. that's a great sign. especially for you since you've been working hard longer than me :)

great job on the miles this week too girl! you are ready to rock :)

3. teacherwoman November 8, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Wow. 4 weeks until another marathon! you are doing great girl!

4. the dawn November 8, 2010 at 8:02 am #

such impressive mileage! and you've been doing such a good job and matching your pace with the purpose of the run. i sometimes have a hard time remembering that the pace should look and feel different depending on the type of run i'm doing. great work!!!

5. jen November 8, 2010 at 8:31 am #

Sounds like the long run was an adventure! What fun. :) Another amazing week for you- good luck with your last big week!!

6. Emily November 8, 2010 at 8:40 am #

What a blast of a long run- rain and all! I'm SO excited for you! I'm going to live vicariously through you CIM weekend. I love your attitude going into your last hard week- go get tired, girl!

7. misszippy November 8, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Wow–way to take care of business! And we all relate to 4 weeks, as opposed to one month!

8. Denise November 8, 2010 at 9:56 am #

if your last 4 weeks go as fast as mine did…it'll be here before you know it. i wish i could have slowed it down a bit. great job on another big week!

9. Leely16 November 8, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Hi there! I just came across your blog from Meghann's page. So cool to see another CPA, rottie mom, runner :) I haven't made the transition out of public accounting yet like you have – it's definitely on my to do list. I have a 2.5 year old male rottie named Wally – they are the best dogs!
    Definitely adding you to my list of daily reads now :)

10. Marlene November 8, 2010 at 11:30 am #

Fantastic week!! Awesome job on the runs… 18.6 = 30K even. I am constantly converting in my head. lol

ONE MORE BIG WEEK!

11. ShutUpandRun November 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

Another great week for you!

12. The Hungry Runner Girl November 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm #

Great job on your 65 miles! Almost time for tapering…got to love it! You are going to rock your race!

13. runner26 November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

four weeks to go means the taper is on the horizon! you've done an incredible job with this training–just reading that you ran 65 miles this week makes me tired ;) way to go!!

14. Pretend this is real November 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Way to go! Tapering is so close now. You'll definitely be ready for CIM. Maybe I'll see you there!

15. Fair Weather Runner November 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

you're a machine, can't wait to see what you do at CIM! congrats on a big week, and cheers to another one. you are badass.

16. twentysixandthensome.com November 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

Whew! You voluntarily ran in that downpour?! You're a stud!

17. RoadBunner November 8, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Sad I didn't run into you Sunday. Boo to them not letting you on the bridge. On the return trip over the bridge there were people running on the west side of the bridge out towards Marin — so maybe the course marshall on that side was being more lenient? Anyhow, great job!

18. seejessrun November 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

Great mileage! San Francisco seems like such a nice place, but wouldn't it suck if you lived there and your Garmin never worked? Oh no!

19. Lauren November 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

65 miles! You are a running machine! :) Sounds like you will be in great shape for CIM. Nice job on your rainy run — sometimes once you're out there, the rain isn't so bad (especially when running with a buddy!). One fall I ended up having to do all my 20-milers in the rain. I was always sick of being wet by the end, but that was the year I qualified for Boston, so maybe there was something to it! ;)

20. Jo Lynn November 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

See, you ARE tall.
    Congratulations on another great week! ;)

21. Bethany + Ryan November 9, 2010 at 4:42 am #

I'm always impressed by how many miles you get in! great job! 4 weeks! eek! exciting!!

22. Joanne November 9, 2010 at 6:05 am #

Great run. You must live in a wonderful area to get some beautiful runs in. We are getting into the cold up here in the NE. Brrr!

You logged some AWESOME miles! Go YOU!

23. Nicole November 9, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Insane weekly mileage Miss Aron!!! So happy for you! :) Could you give 30 of those miles to me? ;)

24. Nitmos November 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

Cim, this is one of your favorites, no? Another great week of training!

1. CIM training | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] avg week nine 50.3 miles, 8:45 avg week ten 62.0 miles, 8:51 avg week eleven 55.4 miles, 8:46 avg week twelve 65.0 miles, 9:10 avg week thirteen 70.1 miles, 8:41 avg week fourteen 48.4 miles, 8:42 avg week [...]