race week

is here!

and you know what that means…

random ramblings, anxious energy, and the mind jumping all over the place…

welcome to my blog post.

i am making sure to drink lots of water this week (and will add electrolytes as it gets closer).  i am trying not to drink more than one cup of coffee a day because if i drink more, i drink less water.  i will increase carbs later in the week and for now i am just trying to eat pretty normal and making sure its all good things!  vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, my pretty standard diet.

i have a stack of clothes behind me ready to be packed, but i don’t want to seem too anxious and have them packed already – what on earth will i do on thursday then?

the start of my stack
DSC05981

i went to my last ART/chiropractor appointment tonight and got some last minute adjustments.  the body should be ready to go very soon!  my calves were a little tight but should be better tomorrow and i got my shoulders and legs and everything else worked on.  i feel good!

our tree is up!  that also makes it feel more like race week since we always have our tree up during thanksgiving weekend and that is always just before CIM.  this race has become part of my holiday season the last 3 years, i think it will be weird without it the year i decide not to do it.

we decided to get a smaller tree this year, one for the table,
but somehow it still looks huge and of course it only barely fits on the table ;)
DSC05985

i have checked the forecast multiple times today.  not because it’s going to change anything, but it might change something i want to pack!  plus i am always checking the weather constantly even if i don’t have a race, so why would i change anything?

weather

the weather is looking pretty much perfect right now.  the chance of rain is down to 20% (from previously 60%) and the low is 39 with a high in the mid 50’s and partly cloudy.  i couldn’t ask for much more perfect weather than that!  we will see how things progress as the week continues on and the forecast continues to change.

other things on the do to list:

• playlist (any suggestions?)
  • pace band
  • water bottles
  • i am sure many other medial tasks i will think of over the next day or two

i am excited, anxious (but not too anxious… i am not quite ready for the race to be here tomorrow), and definitely getting nervous.  all good things though!  and all things that i will attempt to bottle up through the rest of the week.

how do you handle race week nerves, jitters, excitement?

thank you for letting me partially handle mine through this blog post!

6 days to go!

23 Responses to race week

1. P November 29, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

I keep checking the weather and it changes every time I look. Super glad it's not going to be 27 degrees at the start like last year!

2. Melissa November 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

Yay for race week! I am running my first marathon this weekend and it's been fun to follow along with your blog during this time and tapping into the wisdom from your many marathons! Best of luck!

3. The Laminator November 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

Your anxiety is making me anxious…GAH! Haha! You'll do great Aron! The pre-race jitters are normal and I know you've been down this road so many times that you can write a book on how to handle pre-marathon jitters, right?

Well, I will leave you with one personal tip. What I do when I feel the onset of inevitable panic attack, I will sit down and plan out my running/racing schedule for the weeks after the marathon. Will I be a slob and not run again until the new year or will I recover properly with a reverse taper? I think having a carefully designed post-marathon plan for what to do after will not only help you keep focused and relaxed now but avoid the post-mary depression too!

Whatever…You're gonna be AMAZING anyway! Have a great race week :)

4. Keri November 30, 2010 at 3:33 am #

Good luck!! The weather looks beautiful!

5. k November 30, 2010 at 5:45 am #

I love the pile of stuff ready to be packed.
    I'm like you- I check the weather WAAAY too often. To deal with my race nerves I do a little yoga and remind myself that I put in the time…but I have to admit, it doesn't help much. I'm definitely a race-jitters kind of person.

6. Marlene November 30, 2010 at 6:04 am #

I love a godo race wek ramble post. :) Looks to me like everything is in order. Here's to great sleeps all week!!!

7. The Jesse November 30, 2010 at 6:19 am #

i have high anxiety this week — i cant believe race week is finally here! i cant wait for the big day :) ive been checking the weather all the time too!!!

8. RunningLaur November 30, 2010 at 6:51 am #

I tend to pull out all of my clothes / packing items super early too, but not allowed to actually pack it.
    Good luck this week!!

9. Lauren November 30, 2010 at 6:59 am #

Yay for race week being here!! I always wish the week would speed up and slow down at the same time. The nervous energy can drive a person crazy! But to manage the nerves I just try to plan everything out as much as possible, and visualize myself running an awesome race (without psyching myself out).

Glad the weather looks so perfect for you! I hope you get lots of rest this week and have an awesome marathon!! Can't wait to hear about it!

10. Laura November 30, 2010 at 7:01 am #

You don't need it but good luck on your race and sending you positive race day vibes.

11. Joanne November 30, 2010 at 7:35 am #

If I start getting nervous, I try to convince myself to treat it as just another training run. Go with how the body feels.

Do you always wear a pace band? Which one do you have? – where did you get it?

Good luck with the race but I'll be checking in and SO GLAD you're feeling better.

12. marathonmaiden November 30, 2010 at 8:32 am #

RACE WEEK!

i always have a really captivating book on hand to get lost in. last night i wrote a billion blog posts (recipes, monthly recap etc) and that really helped pass time.

gooooooooooooood luck with the race! i'll definitely be sending positive vibes to you while i'm running mine :)

13. Tara November 30, 2010 at 9:13 am #

Yay for race week :) Here are some random songs that are currently my fav! May or may not be suitable for a race playlist, but either way they are pretty good jams :)

Sound of Sunshine- Michael Franti

We No Speak Americano-Yoldanda Be Cool & DCUP

Please Don't Go- Mike Posner

If I had you- Adam Lambert

Rockateer- Far East Movement

14. J November 30, 2010 at 10:18 am #

I love your Christmas tree!! It looks great! When I get nervous for a race I try to 1) keep busy and 2) just think of all the good training I did and know that I am prepared!! You are going to do great!

15. Kirstie November 30, 2010 at 10:47 am #

I always have pre-race nerves the week of a big race. Embrace it and have fun!

16. Nitmos November 30, 2010 at 10:58 am #

That weather IS perfect. Good luck with CIM!

Read blog posts. That's a good way to stay distracted…I think.

17. Nelly November 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

taper madness is indeed not fun, just try to bottle the nervous energy somehow, haha Maybe try to stay busy doing other things like catch up on TV or something to pass the time. Hopefully it doesn't rain on raceday, that would suck!

For playlist ideas, maybe try to get some of the techno/dance tracks in there near the end:
    Taio Cruz
    Bruno Mars
    Enrique Islesias
    Katy Perry
    anything with a fast beat to keep your spirits high near the end of the race…

18. The Hungry Runner Girl November 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

I am so so excited for you! I can't wait for the recap. The temps look perfect. Love the tree.
    I deal with my pre-race anxiety with a little too much carb-loading…oops! Great post!

19. Nicole November 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Eminem, lots n lots of eminem! He will carry you through at milke 25! :)

I also make lists since ive traveled for every marathon, i swear i am always forgetting something…. :)

hang in there!!! its almost here!!!

20. runner26 November 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

yayy!! race week is the best! sounds like you are all set to go–and the weather certainly looks perfect. your tree is so cute–holidays and racing, can't ask for much more. GOOD LUCK!!

21. Adrienne November 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Good luck, Aron! Stay calm- you are ready!

22. Christine November 30, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

It's nice to see that you still get excited for your marathons! :) Y've got this!!

23. Jenn November 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

I can so relate to your feelings right now! I get nervous just thinking about people getting nervous! Weather looks awesome! You're ready!!!!!