the second pair

way back in june, i switched running shoes from my beloved keyano 15.  i went through 11 pairs of the kayanos and i was very nervous to switch!  i tried on a bunch of pairs from many different makers but decided to stick with asics and went with the 2150s.

it wasn’t necessarily love at first wear.  i tied them too tight which made my foot fall asleep, they gave me some blisters in my arch, my ankle was sore, and i just wasn’t sure.

as i wore them in, they got better and better and i am now officially on my second pair and love them!  sometimes you just have to be patient.

my first pair were purple, i like to get different colors
each time (as much as possible) to help me keep track of the mileage.
blog 006
some differences i noticed in the 2150s:

• they lasted longer.  in the kayanos i could tell immediately when i got to ~250 miles.  they got hard and started to hurt and lost their cushion.  i got 344 miles out of my 2150s and feel like i can still get some more use out of them for easy runs.  they still have a little spring in my step when i put them on.
  • they are cheaper.  the kayanos run $140 full price and these run $99 full price.  $40 is a big difference when you are going through running shoes every 6 weeks.  plus i got more use out of the cheaper shoe so that’s even more savings.
  • they are lighter.  just an ounce but i can tell… plus they feel a little less bulky which is nice.
  • cushion!!!  what i love about asics is the cushion and these feel REALLY cushiony to me… like little pillows on my feet.  they definitely feel softer than the new kayano update.

i am very happy with my new shoe and they are definitely going to be my new go-to shoe for a while.

****************************

running – ahhhh.

i have been having a rough time this week.  first of all i haven’t been able to get out of bed since i guess i am still on hawaii time?  or at least that is my excuse.  i feel tired and worn out and just not great.  i have been making myself go running, knowing the first couple will be rough but they will get better, i just have to sweat out all the alcohol, dessert and non-exercise from last week.  on top of it, since i am not running in the morning its hot, and really running when its warm out just makes me cranky.

tuesday
8 – 11 intervals distance

i headed out after work and decided to skip track.  i didn’t think that would be the best thing to start back after my little hiatus, so i just decided to run.  i felt good starting off but then my stomach was mad, i was sweating a ton, and i just was not happy to be out there.  i was so annoyed at the weather and i just wanted to stop and throw a tantrum in the middle of the trail.  i was being dramatic, its not even *that* hot, but 80+ is too hot for me.  i don’t even want to see 70’s anymore!  sooooooooooon aron, soon.

i ended up with 8 miles and was happy i made it that far.

8.2 miles/1:11:37/8:43 avg pace

wednesday
5 – 8 distance

again, i had to run after work since i turned off my alarm to sleep in forever.  luckily we got let out a little early since its corporate tax deadline – yay!  i came home and was out running by 4pm.  again in the hottest time of the day.  i tried to just keep my pace slower and not get all worked up like i did the day before.  i kept it slower at first but my legs just don’t really want to run much slower these days.  i was back at my house at 5 miles and decided to call it a day.

then chris came home and wanted to run!  he has been dealing with an injury so hasn’t run much at all in the last couple months, so i was excited to go with him, while i can keep up :) he just wanted to do a couple miles, so we did a quick 2 mile run around the neighborhood which totaled 7 for the day for me.

7.0 miles/1:01:33/8:48 avg pace

i feel much better now and am ready to get back into it, it’s just been hard coming off of vacation, but that’s to be expected.  i will be back in the zone soon!

22 Responses to the second pair

1. Jo Lynn September 15, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Funny. I didn't know you had a tattoo.
    It's SO hard to adjust to the time when you travel east. It may take up to a week. :-/

2. Running and living September 16, 2010 at 3:32 am #

I've had some tough runs, too, due to the jet lag. You have plenty of time, no worries.
    I switched from Kayanos to Mizuno Wave Inspire. They are way lighter than Kayano's (4 oz total) and very cushiny. But, they don't last as long as Kayano's:)

3. marathonmaiden September 16, 2010 at 4:04 am #

obviously easier said than done but your running will turn around. vacay always messes me and my running up too!

4. J September 16, 2010 at 4:10 am #

I have those exact pair of 2150s and I love them! They are so comfy and light!

5. Denise September 16, 2010 at 4:39 am #

it's hard getting back into the swing of things after vacation. i usually need a vacation from my vacations! you'll be back to your old self soon, no doubts!!!

6. Lacey Nicole September 16, 2010 at 5:02 am #

my last sneakers were teh asics 1140s and i was wondering if there was really any difference between those and the 21s – they seem so similar. and they sound similar. i liked the 1140s and they lasted forever and were cushy! i switched to the nike motos recently to try them out and like them a lot- also cushy, feel a little lighter maybe. i like light sneakers.

7. Joanne September 16, 2010 at 5:06 am #

I'm having one of those weeks as well but I don't have vacation "residue" to blame. I'm just plain burned out. Bummer. Like you, you gotta get out there, get running and hope it comes together. It's rough but we all get over it and have those great days when we could go forever.
    Hope you had a blast in Hawaii.

8. Marlene September 16, 2010 at 6:01 am #

Good for you sticking it out and getting those tough post-vacation runs in. Hopefully things will start to feel "normal" again as the week goes on.

YAY for shoe love! Sounds like a great fit. ;)

9. Lizzy September 16, 2010 at 6:02 am #

I wear 2150s too and also used to wear Kayanos. I wore the turquiose ones for my first marathon and now switched to purple. Love them : )

10. eatreadrun.com September 16, 2010 at 6:13 am #

Welcome back from your vacay! We went to Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon and loved both islands. So amazing. I'm having a bit of a tough time getting back into the running mode after vacay. i need to learn from you and just power through it. I also need new sneaks. :-)

11. Amber (Girl with the red hair) September 16, 2010 at 8:09 am #

I have only ever worn the Kayano's too! The 16s have been…interesting. I was having some foot issues with them. Because they were on for buy one get one half off I bought two pairs last spring so I have a brand new pair sitting in my closet right now. Maybe I will try the 2150's when my marathon is over?… Hmmmmmm!

12. Nicole September 16, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

Interesting about the shoes!! I'm glad you found a pair you like better than the Kayano's! I am rocking my Asics Nimbus 11s right now. They seem to make my feet happy but i wouldn't mind trying some k swiss running shoes after LB is over!

My blog has been lame lately.. in order to get my posts to update in the reader you have to delete the subscription and re enter it. Sorry for the inconvenience. <3

13. Susan September 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

I was nervous about switching shoes earlier this year, but it's worked out great for me. Definitely nice that the cheaper shoes work well for you! All that money adds up quickly.

14. scarlet September 16, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

That looks nice! I haven't switch to a new shoes for 2 years now, I am still comfortable with my shoes though I want to try other brands. Maybe this month. I'll consider your shoes! :)

scarlet saucony running shoes

15. Mica September 17, 2010 at 5:21 am #

I didn't know you had a tattoo either! We have ours in the exact same place, so cool!

I actually always think of you when I have to sell Kayanos because I think, "My God. Who buys these? They are so expensive!" Interesting that you are loving the 2150's now. I like to think of those two shoes as the Honda-Acura distinction; the 2150's are the "base" model and the Kayano's have a little more "oomph."

That being said, I think the gel cushioning makes the Kayanos too heavy. I wasn't crazy about them.

16. Bethany + Ryan September 17, 2010 at 10:01 am #

i used to run in the 2100 series but switched to the Gel Landreth about a year ago. i like them altho they recently changed the entire shoe, i'll have to post a pic, its WEIRD. very futuristic, not sure how to explain it. the heel is like in 2 pieces. its werid but comfy.

17. Jamie September 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm #

Glad the new shoes worked for you! I need to make the switch but don't know what to go to.

18. Heather September 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

Glad the shoe switch worked! I just switched from Saucony to Brooks after many years running in Sauconys, so far so good. :)

19. Glenn Jones September 20, 2010 at 5:01 am #

I had the *exact* reactions when I went to the 2150's a year or so ago. But like you – now I love them. The worst thing though – I just got a postcard from Road Runner that the 2150's are an endangered shoe! I hope there's not a lot of change with what's coming next.

20. Jeri September 21, 2010 at 7:49 am #

Maybe I'll have to try those on! I've been frustrated w/the mileage I've been getting out of my nimbus shoes. And you're right, when you're switching the shoes out that frequently price does make a HUGE difference.

21. Kristen September 23, 2010 at 7:07 am #

I have been very loyal to Brooks but am also very curious as to how other shoes feel – maybe I fall more in love with something else but it is hard because "if it isn't broke don't fix it." Glad your switch ended up working well.

1. Product Review: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 | runner's rambles - July 13, 2011

[...] say my feet have found a new love.  I still have multiple other pairs of shoes, including my Asics 2150s that I rotate through during the week, but a majority of my runs and all my long runs are now done [...]