friday favorites – blog posts

i added a new page to the top of the blog to go along with my story and my race schedule and reports

it’s all my favorite posts put into categories!

so definitely go check it out. i haven’t been through this entire blog yet, but i will keep sorting and adding to it as i have time.

******************************

the winner of the pleated poppy shop credit is….

runninglaur!

email me at runnersrambles [at] gmail.com and i will send your info over!

don’t forget if you didn’t win and there is something you want, you can get 10% off using the code RUN, so go shopping!

******************************

i ran home from work last night. i just didn’t feel like doing an out and back, so i decided giving myself a purpose to my run would make it better. it did work, but it was WARM out still. not as warm as earlier in the week, but still in the 80’s and i have grown accustomed to running in the cooler mornings. the sun was on me, i was a sweaty mess and my legs felt pretty heavy…. BUT my pace did not reflect any of this, i was shocked!

8.0 miles/1:08:07/8:30 avg pace

since i ran home from work, i had to run back to work friday morning. this was another trick i was using to get myself up and out of there and it worked. i packed my stuff thursday morning so i would have everything in my car at work and i could get ready there (we have showers, etc). when my alarm went off this morning i didn’t want to get up, but i knew i didn’t have a choice. chris also said he wouldn’t drive me there ;)

this was my first “marathon tempo” run. i will be doing a lot of these runs with this program to practice race pace or close to. this pace is defined as your goal marathon pace +/- 10 seconds. the plan calls for minute chunks of it (2 x 15 minutes), but i decided that it was close enough to miles, that i would just do round miles to make it easier for me (2 x 2 miles with 5 minute rest).

i am not 100% sure what my “goal marathon pace” is yet. i know i want to PR, i would LOVE to run close to a 3:30, but i am not sure if i am there yet and i want to train within my abilities, not beyond them. i do like to push myself, but i know that pushing too hard can defeat the purpose. for now, i am going to shoot for low 8′s (~8:10 = sub 3:35) which i still think is challenging, and i will be testing myself with a couple of tune up races further into this training cycle to see where i am at. since the mcmillan calculator is so reliable for me, i will be using it to help me pick an exact goal and pacing plan when its closer to race day. hopefully i will be getting faster after a couple months of training :)

i warmed up for 3 miles to the trail, hopped on, cranked up my music and got into the zone. it took a bit to find the exact pace i wanted to be at, i was going way too fast at first, but i eventually found it and settled into the zone. it felt really comfortable and i was happy! the last mile i was running straight into a really strong headwind (the heat left but the wind is back in full force) and i felt like i was running backwards. i still was able to pull off a good split and finish up my MT miles strong. i added a bit on to even out the miles with a cooldown and ran to work, got ready with time to spare! the only thing i forgot was my eyeliner, which is definitely something i can live without. overall the run home and back to work was a success… i do have a feeling i will be very hungry today.

warm up: 3 miles @ 9:01 avg

MT miles:
1 – 8:07
2 – 8:03
(5 min rest .58 miles @ 8:40)
3 – 8:01
4 – 8:08
(avg MT 8:05)

cool down: 1.42 miles @ 8:30 avg

total run: 9.0 miles/1:16:28/8:29 avg pace

i am feeling better about this week now!

happy friday!

19 Responses to friday favorites – blog posts

1. Emz August 27, 2010 at 8:06 am #

YAY love the fav blog list!

I've never used the Mcmillan calc. I'm doing it now though!

Happy Friday!

2. Running and living August 27, 2010 at 8:16 am #

Great job! I think you can do a 3:30, but it is smart to ease into it:)

3. Denise August 27, 2010 at 8:19 am #

love the idea of running to/from work. if only i didn't have to lug around my work laptop i'd do it myself!

4. Jamie August 27, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Impressive! Great job on the MT run!

5. Marlene August 27, 2010 at 8:41 am #

Great idea running home from work then back to work! I sooo wish we had showers! Your week is looking great!!

6. Emily August 27, 2010 at 9:22 am #

With those splits so early in your training plan it does not look like a 3:30 is totally something you can rock! Awesome job on your first tempo run of the cycle. I love the running to and from work but I am usually not organized enough to plan ahead and leave stuff at the office so I can run TO work.

7. marathonmaiden August 27, 2010 at 9:39 am #

i could totally do the whole running to and from work thing except that i don't think i'd have a place to shower. and that would not be pretty haha!

8. Rachel August 27, 2010 at 9:42 am #

Very good marathon pace run! I love how you worked your workouts in with the run to/from work and hit very solid paces on both of them.

9. onelittletrigirl August 27, 2010 at 10:32 am #

That is a great idea about a favorite posts page! I know it was tough for me to narrow mine down when I listed them for my 300th post…you have a great blog so I am sure you will have a tough time too.

Ps- great run!

10. Lisa August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am #

I've never tried running to or from work, but sometimes I cycle it. Well done!

11. misszippy August 27, 2010 at 10:55 am #

I'll have to check out the favorites page–great idea! Awesome that you can run to/from work. When I was in Australia I noticed that tons of people do it. So cool.

12. Tricia August 27, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Love the idea of running to/from work

13. Michaela August 27, 2010 at 11:09 am #

Thanks for sharing the McMillan link! I just typed in my info, and it's crazy how accurate it is! I had been using the Runner's World calculator, but McMillan is much more detailed. Hope you have a great weekend!

14. Alisa August 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I am planning to run to work next week one day too. Since Justin will be a burning man with the car I won't have another option except the bus which I like to avoid!

I might try running home too…who knows, next week is all about avoiding the bus so it'll be biking and running.

15. lindsay August 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

umm yup i'd definitely go with a 8:00/pace :) this was the first MP run and you're already there! BELIEVE girl!

16. runningwithsass.com August 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

wow great run, good job!

17. Petraruns August 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

nice work on the run to and from work – I think that's a super clever idea. Takes a bit of planning though i guess?

And your pace. Your pace! Girl you're getting fast. All that speedwork is paying off.

18. Nicole August 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

the fave blog list is awesome! :)

19. J August 30, 2010 at 10:58 am #

I am thinking about running home from work one of these days – maybe when the temps cool down a bit and we get more into fall! The only bad part is that home to work is about 10 miles…so running home, then running back to work the next day would definitely be tough!

Great job on the tempo miles!