friday favorites: triathlon spectating

i have taken up a new hobby this summer in being a spectator for chris’s triathlons!

they are SO fun to watch, if you ever have the chance to go spectate you really should. there is always something going on! the swim, the transitions, the bike, the run, the finish… and with everyone starting in different waves there is constantly someone to be watching.

this summer so far i have spectated a super sprint, sprint, and an olympic and this weekend i am going to the biggest one yet – the vineman 70.3 half ironman!

this was the first race chris signed up for, before he ever even did a triathlon. i can’t believe it’s here already!

it all started around this time last year when he had to pull out of the san francisco half marathon with yet another injury (he has had foot issues and achellies tendonitis to name a couple). he didn’t know what it was at the time, but he ended up having a stress fracture and had to take quite a few months off of running. it was not fun and not easy on him, but he made good use of his time and started swimming again, and then bought his road bike. he had always considered doing a triathlon, but finally the pieces were falling into place. it was kind of a blessing in disguise?

he started running again (leaving me in the dust), we joined a team, and he has become a very dedicated, talented athlete. he has trained harder than i have ever seen him train, pushing his limits and getting out of his comfort zone, and has really found a passion for this sport. i am so proud of him and cannot wait to cheer him on this weekend. i will be posting a full spectator report sunday or monday!
have you ever spectated a triathlon or running race?
*********************************
it’s been a pretty good week of workouts so far. after my double workout on tuesday, i slept in wednesday and went to my normal track workout that night. originally a pretty long workout had been posted, but many people were either in taper mode for the half ironman this weekend or are new to the track, so we all decided to cut it down. plus it was over 90 degrees. plus i was still tired from the weekend.
we were doing a shorter ladder workout… 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400 with long rest (3 minutes) getting faster as you go just like last week. i didn’t quite nail it as perfectly as last week but i got pretty close.
400 – 1:49.3 (7:17 avg)
800 – 3:37.2 (7:14 avg)
1200 – 5:30.2 (7:20 avg)
800 – 3:36.2 (7:12 avg)
400 – 1:44.7 (6:59 avg)
overall i was happy, plus my paces weren’t TOO far off with it being so hot out!
total with warm up and cool down: 5.1 miles/44:10/8:40 avg pace
thursday i met up with the girls again. it is SO nice to have someone to meet to get you out of bed. we all did our own paces that morning, and did a route with some small rolling hills. the mornings have been pretty humid for us, which leaves me soaking wet at the end.
7.0 miles/1:01:45/8:49 avg pace
thursday night chris was doing an easy spin (we usually do trainer intervals) so i pulled out the spin bike and road easy next to him for 40 minutes while we watched the tour de france so i did’t have to wait to use the trainer (we only have one, but do our trainer workouts at a friend’s house who has an extra).
i met up with tara again this morning. she had 7 goal pace miles so i ran with her for all of them and she nailed it! then i decided i wanted to get my long run out of the way so i don’t have to worry about it for this weekend, so i added another 4 miles on. it was warm out already, it’s going to be a hot day in the bay area today!
11.1 miles/1:38:02/8:49 avg pace
i am going to try to squeeze in at least one other workout this weekend, but if i don’t oh well, i got the basic ones done :) plus i very much think that spectating is a workout in itself… it’s not easy!
have a great weekend everyone!

21 Responses to friday favorites: triathlon spectating

1. Emz July 16, 2010 at 9:41 am #

your splits are amazing!!

in the heat even!! awesome!!

Way to be the cheerleader!! I'd love to see one of these in person!

2. Tara July 16, 2010 at 10:23 am #

yay for being running buddies this week! THANK YOU :) Chris is going to do amazing this weekend and I am so happy that he has found tris and loves them! I still remember when we were all training for SFM and he would always grumble during our longs runs…lol

3. teacherwoman July 16, 2010 at 10:24 am #

Yay for Chris! and YAY for you for being his favorite spectator. I can only imagine how fun it is to watch a triathlon. I have only participated, and it's all so crazy fast that the time just flies by!

4. Denise July 16, 2010 at 10:41 am #

i'm starting to wonder if everyone gets into tris after being injured…that's definitely where i'm headed now that i've been sidelined from running. going to get fit for a bike this wknd!

5. Allie July 16, 2010 at 10:44 am #

Congrats to Chris and good luck!

6. Candice @ I Have Run July 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

Great job on your splits. And best of luck to Chris!!

7. Amanda - RunToTheFinish July 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

I just went to my first tri and it was a blast. I'm learning a lot more about the sport being in florida

8. P July 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

A running injury led to my first tri, also. What an exciting weekend – good luck to Chris!! I love watching my husband race, but I get so nervous for him it might as well be my own race. :-)

9. twentysixandthensome.com July 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Wahoooooo! Good luck to Chris and have a great time spectating!

And way to workout in unbearable heat! BLEH!

10. Meg July 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I LOVE watching triathlons and CHEERING is so fun! My husband I all cheer for any and everyone…there is nothing else like it!
    You asked me about the half and we're running the first half in SF. Are you doing the first or the second? We have friends running the second and the full so we'll be camping out to cheer there too.
    What are you going to wear? I want to scream for you if we're in different halves/halfs(?).

11. Carolina John July 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

You know the best thing about spectating triathlons? got to be all of the shirtless, hairless hardbody men floating around. at least if you ask my wife. it's ok to admit, she takes pictures.

12. Tricia July 16, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

awesome job!

13. Jo Lynn July 16, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Tell Mr. Eichorn I wish him nothing but the best in the 70.3. :)
    Oh, get some good pictures, will ya?!

14. A Toronto girl out West July 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

Recently I went to spectate and volunteer at Ironman CDA. I met Ron, cheered him on, and saw some amazing feats of human stregth and determination.

Honestly that day changed my life. I can barely wrap my mind around what those competitors are able to do!!

I'll be thinking of you and Chris and sending happy half-Ironman thoughts his way! And who knows – maybe next year I'll see him at Ironman CDA (I plan to volunteer if I still live nearby)!

15. onelittletrigirl July 17, 2010 at 4:27 am #

I have volunteered and spectated at more races than I can count…I love it too. This year i am spectating my first full IM…that should be a super fun day!

16. J July 17, 2010 at 6:24 am #

Good luck to Chris in the Tri! I hope he does really well! I haven't spectator a Tri in years but it is fun because of all the stuff going on!

17. joyRuN July 17, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Watching triathletes is intimidating, but the sheer volume of eye candy makes it all worthwhile ;)

18. runnernic.com July 18, 2010 at 8:04 am #

Nice job on all the running girl! Good luck to Chris on the tri today! cant wait to hear how awesome he does!!! :) :)

19. Ms. V. July 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

Great job girl. Yes, my first spectator/volunteer was LA Marathon last year. LOVED it. Good luck to your husband!

20. The Laminator July 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

I spectated the NYC Triathlon today. Omigosh, I'm so humbled. So humbled in fact I will no longer claim to be athlete, at least not in the presence of a triathlete :)

21. Glenn Jones July 19, 2010 at 5:17 am #

Pretty impressive how consistent your splits are.

I actually hopped on my bike and spectated/cheerled at the OC Marathon this year. It was a ton of fun!