back on track

running is going pretty good this week!  i am still keep things on the shorter end, but i did go back to track for the first time since before the marathon!  i missed the track and am excited to really get back into it this summer.

tuesday after work i took kylie and emma on an easy run.  it’s been a long time since they have been out with me since i hadn’t been running as much with all the races and they were very happy to go!  emma went 3.5 and kylie went 2.5.

6.0 miles/55:43/9:17 avg pace

emma looked like this later.

untitled
as i mentioned above, tonight i met up with the team for my first track workout in 4 weeks!  i was excited to be back and a little nervous, not knowing what my legs were going to think of this.

the workout wasn’t too long, but it was TOUGH.  chris and i got there early, did an extra mile warm up (2 miles total), did drills and strides and we all got going on the workout.

2×800 (10K RP)
2×600 (10K RP)
2×400 (10K RP)
2×200 (faster the 10K)
2×100 (build to all out)
30 second rest in between.

THIRTY seconds rest = not a long time.

we got started and i started off too fast.  really, i didn’t know how this was going to feel since i haven’t ran fast in a while and i can say it did not feel very good.  i kept with it though and was glad the intervals were only getting shorter.

800s: 3:26.6, 3:31.8 (6:58 avg)
600s: 2:36.6, 2:35.3 (6:58 avg) – this is not easy
400s: 1:40.2, 1:42.6  (7:02 avg) – i want to die, maybe i can just stop here… oh just keep going they are short
200s: 48.8, 48.2 (6:44 avg) – only half a lap!
100s: 22.6, 22.1 (6:17 avg) – just run straight…almost done!

total intervals: 2.58 miles/17:54.6/6:57 avg pace

ouch.

so let me just say, i was the last one of the team in most of these intervals.  that made my recovery exactly 30 seconds in between sets because we stayed as a group… the others got a little bit longer recovery waiting for me.  i am so nice… GAH.  just as i was done sucking wind it was time to start again!

i didn’t think i did very well and was kind of disappointed but just shook it off as being my first workout back etc… but looking at my stats it wasn’t as bad as i thought, so i am happy.  it wasn’t as consistent/progressive as i like my track workouts to be, but whatever… it will come back!  the summer of speed is here :)

total with warm up and cool down: 5.67 miles/48:22/8:31 avg pace

30 Responses to back on track

1. Jo Lynn May 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm #

Speedy, speedy, SPEEDY girlie.

I love tiring out the doggies. ;)

2. Keri May 20, 2010 at 2:52 am #

This looks like a great workout! I am always looking for new track workouts to try…

3. J May 20, 2010 at 3:23 am #

Wow that sounds like a tough track workout and you barely got any rest! Great job! Emma looks so cute on the couch! You must have really worn her out on the run!

4. All Things Jaime May 20, 2010 at 3:24 am #

I complain when we only get a minute of rest … I couldn't imagine only having 30 seconds!! Great job! These workouts will only make you stronger. Great splits!!

5. Running and living May 20, 2010 at 3:51 am #

Great job! I think your recovery is too short. This is why you are not hitting the paces toward the end. In most track workouts you get 400m easy or 1 min RI between 800s.

6. Staci Dombroski May 20, 2010 at 4:07 am #

Way to go!!! You are such a speedster :)

7. the dawn May 20, 2010 at 4:17 am #

I love when you talk about your team workouts! I've always been curious about what working with a team would be like and you make it seem much less intimidating than I imagine it will be.

8. Denise May 20, 2010 at 4:43 am #

great job!!! everyone talking about speed work is killing me. i need to find a way to work it in during the ultra training without overdoing it.

9. ShutUpandRun May 20, 2010 at 5:26 am #

That's a tough workout and you killed it. LOVE the pic of Emma.

10. Marlene May 20, 2010 at 5:28 am #

Great job at the track! You have to remember that technically you are still recovering! I love the eommentary, especially: "i want to die, maybe i can just stop here… oh just keep going they are short" lol

11. X-Country2 May 20, 2010 at 6:11 am #

Great track workouts always feel sooo good!

12. Roisin May 20, 2010 at 6:53 am #

Way to hold on till the end! And thirty seconds of rest is nothing, I agree, yet somehow 30 seconds of running feels like forever!

13. runnernic.com May 20, 2010 at 6:53 am #

great track workouts girlie! you did fabulous! :) i remember doing 600s in high school and i seriously despised them! i always love the pictures of your doggies after a run! they are so precious!! :) keep up the great work, you ROCK!

14. Steve Stenzel May 20, 2010 at 7:15 am #

Nice workout! I'll have to try that sometime! I find running those short distances really sucks, but I don't have to tell you…. ;)

15. kristen May 20, 2010 at 7:34 am #

lol…welcome to MY world as I am usually the slwoer runner. No rest for the poor schleps at the back of the pack!

Great job girl. I've never done a 600 before. I'll take your word for it that it was tough. Doesn't it blow your mind that the elites do all those HALF as fast. How the heck do they do it?! Amazing. As are YOU.

16. ShirleyPerly May 20, 2010 at 7:38 am #

I always have a hard time doing any real speed or track work the first time in a while (not that I've done much of either to begin with!). I think you did very well!

17. Tara May 20, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Great job girlie! I will be needing some of your track expertise in a few weeks once I start doing all of my quality workouts! This one looks fun although torturous at the same time ;)

18. Katie A. May 20, 2010 at 7:46 am #

I love the track, I love to run fast :) Great paces girly, it's the summer of speed for us!!!

19. RunningLaur May 20, 2010 at 8:11 am #

Speedy speedy – if you keep up the track time through the summer, you're going to be an insane running machine by the time the cooler fall weather comes around!

20. Marathon Maritza May 20, 2010 at 8:16 am #

Still speedy though! Remember that pushing yourself with a team is awesome for improvement but that your strong pace is still your strong pace, even if you are last in a group. :)

You are doing so great and I can't wait for more running adventures with you! Thank you for always pushing me and supporting me to be a better runner. ♥

21. onelittletrigirl May 20, 2010 at 9:39 am #

I love your doggie photos!!!

22. RoadBunner May 20, 2010 at 10:33 am #

You were one of the LAST ones at track?! Geez. This is why I am too scared to ever think of doing a group track thing.

And I can't believe you only got 30 seconds to rest! Holy cow. That is a tough, tough workout! Great job!

23. lindsay May 20, 2010 at 11:32 am #

that is an awesome workout!! 30 secs rest?!?!?!? holy sh*#*&$(*@ no thanks! :)

you did awesome – i'd be all "ohh but i just did a bunch of long-races, i should rest" :) and then again, the 30 seconds "rest", that definitely deserves some credit.

i love that you are last at the track workouts – always people to chase. that'll def bring gains on speed!

24. Mark May 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

That is a great pic!! Love it!! Great running, too!!

25. Jess May 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

Looks like a speedy track workout to me!

26. Heather May 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

If you are the slow one in the group, that is one seriously speedy group! :)

27. Sarah Woulfin May 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm #

30 sec. rest?!?!?!! Ouchie–you're a tough chica :>

28. Candice @ I Have Run May 21, 2010 at 7:05 am #

Great job! It's always nice to realize you did better than you thought at the end of a workout.

29. Alisa May 21, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Remind me to NEVER run with that group. If you're the slowest I'd be lapped multiple times.

Nice work though. I wish I could get into track workouts.

Yay for sleepy doggies, that's the best kind!

30. Christina May 21, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Running with faster people has its benefits. Good job with the track workout.