4 of 4

race weekend 4 of 4!  BUT this time it wasn’t my race… yay!

chris participated in his second triathlon today and it was so fun to be out there to cheer him on again, as well as a ton of our teammates and tara too!

first though, i did a couple more runs this week…

friday after work i went out for an easy 6 miler.  my legs were already feeling WAY better and pretty much recovered, but i tried to keep the pace on the easy end.

6.0 miles/54:39/9:06 avg

saturday morning i wanted to run about 8 miles before we hit the road, so i got out around 8.  it is definitely spring around here right now and i was warm from the get go, but not hot.  i did a rolling hills route from my house that i hadn’t done in a while and just zoned out to my music.  my legs warmed up as i went and i negative split the second half of the run.  it was a nice day and i was happy my legs were feeling good again!

8.2 miles/1:11:48/8:45 avg pace

early afternoon we headed down to san jose to pick up chris’s packet and then even further south to morgan hill where the triathlon was going to be.  we relaxed that afternoon, went to a team dinner, and got everything ready to go for the morning.  this was the first time EVER that it was going to be an early morning race chris was participating in that i wasn’t.  i could tell he was a little nervous but he fell asleep easily and the 4am alarm clock went off way too early.

we got up and he got ready to go and i got my spectator stuff together.  we made it to the start line just after 5 when it was still dark out.  our team had their own bike racks, so he got a great spot being so early.  he set up his stuff and we walked around a bit talking to people and getting situated.

this triathlon (the morgan hill sprint triathlon) was longer than the last sprint he did.  this one was .75 mile swim, 16 mile bike and 5 mile run.  he has really been working on his open water swim since the last one because he wasn’t happy with how it went, so i could tell he was anxious to get in the water and get that part over with.  it wasn’t long before it was time and he headed out into the cold water.  it was foggy out and i was SO glad i was not jumping in the water.

2010 UVAS 006
i was nervous for him but knew he was going to do great, and he did!  he came out of the water in under 19 minutes and towards the front of his age group.  i was so happy and relieved to see him out of the water, just because :)

hello muscles2010 UVAS 009

less than two minutes later he was out on the bike!  i wasn’t able to be as close to the transition as i was in his last tri, but i could still see him head off.  it was fun to have so many teammates there too to cheer on!

about 49 minutes later he came in on the bike and less than a minute after that was out on the run!

2010 UVAS 021
we positioned ourselves close to the run finish and had a great spot to see people coming in off the run.  it was still overcast out, but perfect weather to be running in.  35 minutes after he left on the run he was back and crossing the finish line to his second triathlon!

2010 UVAS 034 2010 UVAS 035
he crossed the finish line in just over 1:45 and seemed much happier with this one than his first one. he always comes away with lessons and areas he wants to improve on.  the thing i love about chris and these triathlons, is he sees where he wants to improve and immediately takes action to get better.  after the last one, he really wanted to work on his swim and he has been open water swimming multiple times and getting advice from a lot of people.  he had a great swim this time and felt so much better about it.  i was VERY proud of him!  next up an olympic distance tri, then his big half ironman in july!  i can’t wait… he is only going to keep getting better (and he is already awesome), and it’s so fun to watch!

hope you all had a great weekend and CONGRATS to all the racers out there!

28 Responses to 4 of 4

1. runnernic.com May 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

Way to go Chris!! Sounds like he did a fab job at the tri and had lots of fun too! :-) keep up the great work!! :-)

2. Keri May 17, 2010 at 2:39 am #

It must have been fun to watch instead of participate!

3. Running and living May 17, 2010 at 3:51 am #

so no chance of a cross over into the triathlon for you?

4. D10 May 17, 2010 at 4:22 am #

You are a running machine! Chris did do an awesome job. You guys are so cute together.

5. AppleC May 17, 2010 at 4:55 am #

Great going Chris. I have yet to hear a triathlon athlete say they like the swimming part. It seems everyone hates it!

I wanted to try a Tri. but since I'm finding biking so challenging, guess I'll stick to my marathon goal at the moment.

Hey … great going on your 6 and 8 mile "recovery" runs. :)

6. Lisa May 17, 2010 at 5:11 am #

congratulations,Chris!

7. Denise May 17, 2010 at 6:14 am #

congrats Chris!!!

8. marathonmaiden May 17, 2010 at 6:45 am #

awesome job chris! tris looks so hard so i have much respect for him. congrats :)

9. Emz May 17, 2010 at 10:09 am #

soooo impressive. love it.

10. Staci Dombroski May 17, 2010 at 10:11 am #

That is so cool!!! I bet it was so much fun to watch, but a little hard not to participate :) Have a great day!

11. Tara May 17, 2010 at 10:13 am #

Chris kicked major butt out there! I am so happy he found something he really loves and kicks ass at! :)

12. Alisa May 17, 2010 at 10:36 am #

I think creating an action plan and going for it is the best way to attack something that's relatively new.

By the way, I totally stalked his time after I read this post and damn 19.5 MPH on the bike—wow!!!!

Swimming in open water definitely takes some getting used to but it sounds like he has a great group of supportive folks to help him along the way.

I'm excited for Tara's race report too!

13. Petraruns May 17, 2010 at 10:55 am #

I'm SO impressed with his attitude – as you say he leaves with lessons and then comes back having really worked on it. What an attitude! I like it a lot.

He's also pretty speedy quick…

And it must be so nice for you to support him in this. Are you tempted?

14. Mel -Tall Mom on the Run May 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Congrats to Chris!! I have no desire to do a triathlon, but I have the utmost respect for the athletes who do. PROPS and great photos!

15. joyRuN May 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Has anyone ever told you your husband is pretty hot?

Congrats to Chris – you two are a speedy twosome!

16. Marlene May 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

You scared me when I read the post title. Glad to see this was Chris' turn! Big congrats to him on the tri!

17. Jess May 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Congrats to Chris! Must've been nice to be a spectator for once, huh? ;)

18. ShutUpandRun May 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Wow, Chris had a great race. Right before I read "hello muscles" I was thinking the same thing!

19. J May 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Hello Muscles is right! Way to go for Chris! That is awesome! He really is turning into quite the triathlete!!

20. Heather May 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

Nice job on your runs, and congrats to your hubby! That swim looks beautiful!

21. seejessrun May 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Congrats to Chris! I could never do a triathlon. You're the best spectator–even writing a blog post about it.

22. The Laminator May 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

Congrats to chris on his great tri. It sounds like he's on track for faster and faster times! Good job on you for providing support and spectating!

23. Tara May 17, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

Wow! Congrats to Chris! I am new to your blog, so I guess this is the hubs? I'll have to read backwards.

Nice job on your 8 miles!

24. Jamie May 18, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Congrats to Chris!

25. ShirleyPerly May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

Congrats to Chris!!!

I am so happy to hear that he is enjoying tris and improving. Man, I really miss training for tris as I much as I used to. So much more fun to swim and bike than run when it's 90+ degs outside!!

26. Kristen May 24, 2010 at 7:58 am #

Yay Chris! How awesome for him to see improvement in such a short amount of time. Bet you enjoyed the weekend to be a spectator. ;)

1. spectator report: 2010 vineman ironman 70.3 triathlon | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] ever completed a triathlon.  he did 3 along the way during training… a super sprint, a sprint and an olympic and learned lessons and altered his training after each [...]

2. friday favorites: triathlon spectating | runner's rambles - January 7, 2011

[...] summer so far i have spectated a super sprint, sprint, and an olympic and this weekend i am going to the biggest one yet – the vineman 70.3 half [...]