be safe

i hate to have to even write posts like this, but after last week’s tragedy with chelsea king and now a woman being robbed on my local “safe” running trail yesterday, i just wanted to put out a quick reminder because sometimes we just need to be reminded.

my girls danica and maritza both did great posts last week on running safety. read them (here and here), please refresh your memory. they have a lot of great tips and tools that we can all use.

always use caution, be skeptical, run with friends, run with your dog, run in daylight when you can… buy some pepper spray!

it is so sad we even have to worry about things like this, but we do. so use your common sense and judgement… be smart and SAFE out there runners!

26 Responses to be safe

1. Marlene March 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Definitely sad and scary, but these reminders are important. Thanks!

2. shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama March 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Too bad there are people out there who feel good by hurting others.

It is good to be reminded!

3. Lisa March 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Saw this on the news this morning. Scary. I was going to run yesterday starting at Civic Park too. Glad I changed my mind and decided not to run in the cold :) My husband bought me pepper spray…I just need to remember to bring it with me EVERY time I run.

4. Jess March 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

I hate hearing all these stories. They make me so nervous about running by myself, but sometimes that's the only choice I have. I try to stick to the treadmill when it's not light out though.

5. Page March 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

Oh no! This sort of stuff always makes me so nervous! Be safe on IHT.

6. Sarah Woulfin March 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Thanks for this reminder, and I'm bummed to hear about the robbery in the middle of the afternoon. Yikes :(

7. Jamie March 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

Also, consider investing in some self defense classes. They help!

8. Kelly March 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

I am still in shock that this has all happened so close to my community. What makes it even more real, is that my best friend saw her that day before she headed out on that trail…and for some reason, it makes it more real, that that could happen to me (you know)? I am glad that you posted the reminder of running safety…things are not the way they used to be! We need to be prepared!

9. marathonmaiden March 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

so scary! i hate that women (and men too) have to worry about things like this!

10. Tim F March 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

That was really sad reading about Chelsea King – I had not heard the story. It is really too bad.

11. copiaverborum March 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

Scary. I think most of us are too trusting, or think "it could never happen to me." Thanks for the reminder.

12. J March 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

It really is sad and scary sometimes too! Thankfully I havent had anyone stop and try to talk to me while I run in the mornings. Hope your track workout went well!

13. Staci Dombroski March 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

I was just talking about that with my running partner last night. It can be so scary. Thanks for the reminder!!

14. Heather March 10, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Im guilty of running alone, but I would say bypass running with the dog and always run with someone. A girl here a few years ago went to a busy trail with her dog and was abducted and murdered.

Just be careful.

15. Meg March 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

I totally agree, you just need to be smart when you run. I wish I could be more carefree but it's just not intelligent! Thanks for the reminders.

16. René March 10, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

The Chelsea King story just makes me so angry. Ditto on self-defense classes and carrying secret weapons.

17. runnernic.com March 10, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

This is so scary! I hate not being in a bigger city where others are around but i guess it can happen anywhere! Pepper spray is a must along with a cell phone!

18. Susan March 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

Things like this are so sad…you can't even get some exercise without worrying about who is behind a tree. Or if that "jogger" is really a jogger. My mom wants me to carry pepper spray with me…I've been reluctant so far but I think I might bite soon…

19. Karen March 11, 2010 at 6:01 am #

It is sad… I have been thinking about this issue a lot lately as I do typically run alone. Thanks for the tips and the reminder.

20. Lisa March 11, 2010 at 6:56 am #

I've been thinking of writing a post just like this one.

My husband has now insisted that I take my pepper spray with me every time I run. Luckily, it is very easy to carry.

21. AppleC March 11, 2010 at 7:02 am #

Scary. I run with my German Shepherd. Not even our friends get close – they simply honk :)
    BUT.. it's those rotten people in their cars who are on their cell phones or trying to avoid a car coming in the opposite direction. Why does it seem they would rather HIT the runner than the other vehicle???!!!!

QUESTION: Do you or your readers do more than one marathon per year or half marathons? If so, how do you keep training all year for those long runs? I am doing a program now (18 weeks) for a marathon…but what do I do for training if I want to run more than one marathon or half?

22. The Laminator March 11, 2010 at 9:16 am #

Definitely helps to be safe! Don't take chances. It horrifies me sometimes when I see/hear runners being oblivious to the dangers. Thanks for sharing that and to Danica and Maritza for their great posts.

23. lindsay March 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

i know! i hate having to feel any scariness during a run. for me it doesn't matter if it's 430am or 5pm (in daylight) – i still get jittery about people. :-/

24. Chic Runner March 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

I hate the fact that we have to be cautious but it's so true. Thanks for the link back <3 B is super paranoid about me and got me some sweet pepper spray and I'm super stoked about it!

25. Kristen March 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

AHHH!! I ALWAYS think of the iron horse as so safe as opposed to the Sacramento American River bike trail I have at home which I NEVER go out on alone.

I guess this just confirms that even those places we "feel" safe really aren't.

Thanks for posting this.

26. Roisin March 12, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Good reminder. It makes you think twice when you bring your iPod with you. I know of a young woman who was running in a Paris suburb when she was attacked by two people, just to steal her iPod. Scary stuff.